Omega-3s Linked to Prevention of Parkinsons Disease and More

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Omega-3s Linked to Prevention of Parkinson's Disease and More

PR Newswire

12-26-07

DENVER, Dec 26, 2007 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- A milestone report links long-chain (marine) omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) with the prevention of Parkinson's disease, according to the December 2007 Fats of Life and PUFA Newsletter electronic publications, which summarize the latest scientific findings on PUFAs.

"Papers with the potential to redirect our thinking about diseases are rare, but this study from Laval University in Quebec City, Canada, might do it for Parkinson's disease," said Editor Joyce Nettleton. "The researchers showed that the consumption of marine omega-3s-mainly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)-- protected Parkinson's animals from losing their dopamine-producing neurons. Animals without these omega-3s lost 30 percent of these essential cells, a hallmark of the disease. The implication is that sufficient brain DHA might be able to prevent the onset of Parkinson's disease."

The e-newsletters cover other studies linking marine omega-3s and better cognitive abilities in aging. Eating fish regularly or having higher amounts of omega-3s in the blood are characteristic of older people who have escaped dementia or Alzheimer's disease, according to research from France and the Netherlands. In Norway, participants in their 70s who consumed fish at least once a week had superior mental abilities compared with those who avoided eating fish.

Cognitive benefits from omega-3s seem not to be limited to older adults. Research from Australia found that infants consuming breast milk high in DHA had higher cognitive scores at age 21/2 years. The same study showed that mothers taking a high dose of fish oil in their last part of pregnancy increased the amount of omega-3s in their milk and in the infant for at least 6 weeks after delivery.

Research from Spain reported that more frequent fish consumption in children 6 1/2 years of age with higher risk of allergies was linked to significantly lower chance of developing allergic conditions. Evidence now suggests that maternal intake of omega-3s in pregnancy and a child's consumption of fish are associated with lower risk of childhood allergies.

"For all of these reasons, expecting mothers and people at risk for Parkinson's disease should resolve in the new year to consume more marine omega-3s," Nettleton concluded.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Good article. Strangely enough, I read that smoking cigarettes can help prevent Parkinsons also (no joke). I'll wait for Strategicmove's opinion on that one though.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Good article. Strangely enough, I read that smoking cigarettes can help prevent Parkinsons also (no joke). I'll wait for Strategicmove's opinion on that one though.
It's true. I don't think they know why but they've noticed the correlation in large population studies. Then again, it may be that the higher mortality rates mean that the succeptable just die of something else before Parkinsons can manifest.

Mo250

Awards
here is another study that looks at depression and fish oil

1: Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2007 Dec;28(6):875-80.Links

Why fish oils may not always be adequate treatments for depression or other inflammatory illnesses: Docosahexaenoic acid, an omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid, induces a Th-1-like immune response.

Maes M, Mihaylova I, Kubera M, Bosmans E.

Clinical Research Center for Mental Health (CRC-MH), Antwerp, Belgium. [email protected].

BACKGROUND: We have shown that a depletion of omega3 polysaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) plays a role in the pathophysiology of depression, in part because omega3 PUFAs have anti-inflammatory effects. omega3 PUFAs are frequently employed to treat depression. Most if not all antidepressants have negative immunoregulatory effects by decreasing the production of proinflammatory cytokines, such as interferon-gamma (IFNgamma) and/or increasing that of anti-inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin10 (IL-10). AIM: The aim of the present study was to examine the immunoregulary effects of the omega3 PUFAs, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and the omega6 PUFA, arachidonic acid (AA), on the production of interferon-gamma (IFNgamma), interleukin-10 (IL-10) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFalpha). METHODS: This study examines the ex vivo effects of EPA (4.5 muM, 9 muM, 18 muM and 45 muM), DHA (1.3 muM, 3 muM, 6 muM and 13 muM) and AA (8 muM, 16 muM, 32 muM and 80 muM) on the LPS + PHA-stimulated production of IFNgamma, IL-10 and TNFalpha, and on the IFNgamma/IL-10 production ratio. Results: We found that EPA did not have any significant effects on the above cytokines. DHA significantly increased the IFNgamma/IL-10 production ratio, caused by a greater reduction in IL-10 than in IFNgamma. AA significantly decreased TNFalpha production. DISCUSSION: The results show that DHA induces a Th-1-like immune response and that AA has anti-inflammatory effects by decreasing the production of TNFalpha. Thus, the immune effects of omega3 PUFAs are not compatible with what is expected from antidepressive substances. The results of the present study show that treatment with fish oils, containing DHA, should be avoided in the treatment of depression. Toward this end, highly concentrated and pure EPA seems to be indicated.

PMID: 18063921 [PubMed - in process]

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Interesting study. In my experience, higher doses of fish oil alleviate depression very well. Lower doses..3-5grams per day..do nothing though.

Had my wife on fish oil while she was pregnant and started my baby on low doses of it when she was a week old. The kid's gonna be a smart one...already is. Definitely seems to have an effect on her mood..she's the jolliest little baby I've ever been around.

Nicotine has a lot of nueroprotective benefits despite it's bad effects and addiction problems. Nicotine can be used to treat ulcerative colitis and studies show it works as well as prednisone if not better at snuffing out at least two different inflammation pathways.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Bioman, how do you give your baby fish oil? Do you put it in his/her formula?

Also, for some interesting foods containing nicotine (effects/benefits), I posted a thread titled "Nightshade Foods" in the Nutrition Forum. Give it a read if you guys have a chance, it's pretty neat stuff.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil will stick to the inside of the bottle so I give her a few mL on a small teaspoon. She likes the Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil and views it as a treat.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil will stick to the inside of the bottle so I give her a few mL on a small teaspoon. She likes the Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil and views it as a treat.
Thats a good sign. At least you know she isn't going to be picky about what she eats when she gets older. Some kids drive me crazy! "No tomatoes, no bread crusts!"

Mo250

Awards
I thought that excess fish oil can cause delayed bleeding and that that might be problematic.

Here is another study that looks at krill oil

Altern Med Rev. 2007 Sep;12(3):207-27.

Omega-3 DHA and EPA for cognition, behavior, and mood: clinical findings and structural-functional synergies with cell membrane phospholipids.Kidd PM.

Cell biology; University of California, Berkeley; Contributing Editor, Alternative Medicine Review; health educator; biomedical consultant, dietary supplement industry. Correspondence address: 10379 Wolf Drive, Grass Valley, CA 95949 Email: [email protected].

The omega-3 fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are orthomolecular, conditionally essential nutrients that enhance quality of life and lower the risk of premature death. They function exclusively via cell membranes, in which they are anchored by phospholipid molecules. DHA is proven essential to pre- and postnatal brain development, whereas EPA seems more influential on behavior and mood. Both DHA and EPA generate neuroprotective metabolites. In double-blind, randomized, controlled trials, DHA and EPA combinations have been shown to benefit attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD), autism, dyspraxia, dyslexia, and aggression. For the affective disorders, meta-analyses confirm benefits in major depressive disorder (MDD) and bipolar disorder, with promising results in schizophrenia and initial benefit for borderline personality disorder. Accelerated cognitive decline and mild cognitive impairment (MCI) correlate with lowered tissue levels of DHA/EPA, and supplementation has improved cognitive function. Huntington disease has responded to EPA. Omega-3 phospholipid supplements that combine DHA/EPA and phospholipids into the same molecule have shown marked promise in early clinical trials. Phosphatidylserine with DHA/EPA attached (Omega-3 PS) has been shown to alleviate AD/HD symptoms. Krill omega-3 phospholipids, containing mostly phosphatidylcholine (PC) with DHA/EPA attached, markedly outperformed conventional fish oil DHA/EPA triglycerides in double-blind trials for premenstrual syndrome/dysmenorrhea and for normalizing blood lipid profiles. Krill omega-3 phospholipids demonstrated anti-inflammatory activity, lowering C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in a double-blind trial. Utilizing DHA and EPA together with phospholipids and membrane antioxidants to achieve a triple cell membrane synergy may further diversify their currently wide range of clinical applications.

PMID: 18072818 [PubMed - in process]