What's the breakdown in fish oil caps?

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Something that I've been wondering about Omega-3 oil supps: There's always the omega-3 content listed, but hardly ever does it say what the rest of the make-up is. Take NOW's Omega-3 caps.

680 mgs of Omega 3s made up of:

360mgs EPA and 240 mgs DHA.

but this is from a 2000mg serving. So what's the other 1320mgs? If it's Omega-6s, that isn't the greatest breakdown for trying to lower your 3 to 6 ratio.

I'm not trying to bash NOW, I'm just using them as an example.

Does anyone know of any purely Omega-3 supp?

And just to double-check, because I always get this mixed up, we're looking for a high level of DHA to EPA ratio, correct?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If it's in Omega 3 caps the remaining Omega 3s are probably ALA. "ALA is short for alpha linolenic acid. It is a short-chain fatty acid consisting of 18 carbon atoms and 3 double bonds (18:3n-3). ALA is the mother of the omega-3s and is found in linseed/flaxseed oil, rapeseed oil, green leafy vegetables, and walnuts." from google

Higher levels of DHA and EPA are usually beneficial for a multitude of reasons. These include brain function as well as cardiovascular and joint support.

I would go further but I don't want to say anything inaccurate. First post and I don't want to go overboard.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I opt for at least 1g of EPA/DHA per day so I take 10 fish oil caps to achieve this.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mine has no fillers. I can tell you that. Mine has 1000mg and 545mg is epa and 360 is dha. and 95mg of the other 5 oils. I know exactly what is in mine.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much do you need to take to be considered mega dosing? I read somewhere around 30 grams? Any of you have any opinions on Mega Dosing Omega-3's? I've read a few threads about it on here, but opinions on those threads go back & forth, being for and against it.

I'm taking Sesathin and Sesamin Oil and the Sesathin reads that it is more effective in diets high in Omega-3's, which is why I was considering Mega Dosing my fish oil to augment the effects of the Sesathin.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The one I am currently taking is a good as omacor which is thew prescription from a doctors office but with half the cost. It is the most pure oil out there.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The one I am currently taking is a good as omacor which is thew prescription from a doctors office but with half the cost. It is the most pure oil out there.
Mine's from Costco....

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Based on blood work in the office gnc and costco brand are no good. For things like decrease risk of arrhythmias, which can lead to sudden cardiac death
decrease triglyceride levels
decrease growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque
lower blood pressure (slightly) any thing like that I can tell you there product does not do that. Oh also the ones from henrys and any generic one we found out based on blood work is useless.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based on blood work in the office gnc and costco brand are no good. For things like decrease risk of arrhythmias, which can lead to sudden cardiac death
lower blood pressure (slightly) any thing like that I can tell you there product does not do that. Oh also the ones from henrys and any generic one we found out based on blood work is useless.
Anything you would recommend that's publically accessible? Or simply what amount of EPA should be looking for to consider it worth buying/taking?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Good post. Reps.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
So non-generics are good to go in general? I've been going through a bottle of Flameout per month, which I'm pretty sure is up there in quality. I've been taking quite a bit of a generic, too, though. Is there any benefit to the generics, or should you just up the dose of a reputable company's oil? (Which I'm sure would be the better, but more costly choice.)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based on blood work in the office gnc and costco brand are no good.
Quantify "no good".
For things like decrease risk of arrhythmias, which can lead to sudden cardiac death
What blood work and what testing protocol?

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Quantify "no good". What blood work and what testing protocol?
Thank god some of you guys remember to question sources. I never think to find out where info came from till way later.

Reps to both of you.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does "no good" also include it's fat loss properties? Do generics at least help to augment that function?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would still wait to see the quantification of "no good"

Most generic brands are low in EPA/DHA. Kirkland's is USP tested and verified ingredients, potency and manufacturing process.

The issue with the generic brands is that you have to take more to get the amount of theraputic benefits of the EPA/DHA.

Comparing 3-1g capsules of a high grade fish oil that has a 50% or more EPA/DHA that equates to 1.5g of EPA/DHA and 3-1g capsules of 25% EPA/DHA that equates to .75g of EPA/DHA is not a fair comparison assessment.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The best article that sums this all up is by Alan Aragon at Bodybuilding and Nutritional Supplements - Fish Oil - Just The Facts . Read that all up guys!

At the end he mentions diff brands by saying "
The amount of EPA/DHA per capsule may vary with the brand. Capsules can contain anywhere from 250-500mg. Most healthy folks don’t need more than 3-6 capsules per day to meet or exceed the amounts that show benefits. There are no definitive conclusions about optimal proportion of EPA:DHA, so to error on the side of safety, I recommend finding roughly an even mix. It’s common and perfectly acceptable for products to contain slightly more EPA than DHA. If at all possible, make sure your supplement is verified by the USP (United States Pharmacopoeia) for the peace of mind that you’re getting what the label is claiming"