Creatine Bloating

qozon

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm looking into taking some creatine for about a month over winter break, looking for some help. I've got some great definition right now and don't to lose the abs o rnay definitoin. Would creatine bloating make me lose any of this? Would a month on creatine show results? How much should i take each day? Ive heard figures ranging from 3-15 g/day.

Thanks

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

I'm looking into taking some creatine for about a month over winter break, looking for some help. I've got some great definition right now and don't to lose the abs o rnay definitoin. Would creatine bloating make me lose any of this? Would a month on creatine show results? How much should i take each day? Ive heard figures ranging from 3-15 g/day.

Thanks
There's only about, oh, a million threads about creatine in this forum. Try searching. It works. :thumbsup:

But I don't get any "bloat" on micronized creatine mono. I retain abou 4-5 pounds of water, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think it causes me to lose any definition and if you can see your abs now, taking creatine is not going to cover them up.

I recommend cycling 3 days on at up to 20g per day in seperate doses. Then 3 days off (no creatine at all). But again, search and you sill find all kinds of dosing recommendations. And I say stick with micronized creatine monohydrate. Brand doesn't matter because they're all the same. My opinion and others may not agree, but I say avoid creatine ethyl ester. I don't think it works and it costs more. Lose-lose in my book.

Good luck.

qozon

Awards
Thanks. I guess im confused on what exactly bloating is? Can you actually see it?

EDIT: i just talked to another person, and he was saying your face could get really puffy??

yea, im really confused.

Rodzilla

Board Sponsor
Awards
if you use too much creatine monohydrate, your face will sometimes puff up a bit, but if you use a proper dose its probably not an issue.
anecdotally CEE does not bloat to the degree that mono would

look in to Avant Research SyntheSIZE, 2 forms of creatine (CEE and CM) to get the best of both worlds
added aminogen to help you process the protein your consuming
added leucine for increased anabolism
and a bunch of other goodies

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/avant-research/synthesize-750-grams.html

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I guess im confused on what exactly bloating is? Can you actually see it?

EDIT: i just talked to another person, and he was saying your face could get really puffy??

yea, im really confused.
It's important to remember that people react differently to different things. Some people may get really bloated, others may not at all. The majority is probably somewhere in between.

And I'm not picking a fight here with Rodzilla (just doing your job, I know), but there is some research that suggests the reason CEE can be advertized as "no bloat" is because it doesn't work at all. The CEE is almost instantly converted into a useless by-product (creatinine). There are no such findings regarding CM. Do a little research and come to your own conclusions. Use PubMed or search this forum because there have been plenty of debates on the subject.

Or try both and make an honest assessment of how each works for you. As much as I prefer CM, there are definitely people who just don't like it and you won't know for yourself until you try.

Rodzilla

Board Sponsor
Awards
And I'm not picking a fight here with Rodzilla (just doing your job, I know), but there is some research that suggests the reason CEE can be advertized as "no bloat" is because it doesn't work at all. The CEE is almost instantly converted into a useless by-product (creatinine). There are no such findings regarding CM. Do a little research and come to your own conclusions. Use PubMed or search this forum because there have been plenty of debates on the subject.
CEE does break down at a much more rapid speed than CM, this is why they are both in the formula. You are getting the rapid absorption and the slower more prolonged absorption. There is a lot of CEE hatred going around, which IMO is unwarranted.

SyntheSIZE also has many other added ingredients to further benefit and individual looking to gain muscle. Really, just check over the write-up, you may end up liking what you see:)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you really have to see if you bloat of of creatine monohydrate. Some people dont and some people cant stomach it or they get really bloated...it depends. Now there are alot of other forms of creatine out there just do some research, pick one, try it out at reccommended doses, and see how results go. Simple really.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
CEE does break down at a much more rapid speed than CM, this is why they are both in the formula. You are getting the rapid absorption and the slower more prolonged absorption. There is a lot of CEE hatred going around, which IMO is unwarranted.

SyntheSIZE also has many other added ingredients to further benefit and individual looking to gain muscle. Really, just check over the write-up, you may end up liking what you see:)
It's cool man. In my opinion the questionning of CEE is warranted, if not the outright hatred. Bottom line, for me anyway, is that CM works and I don't see any benefit to "new creatine." I feel like we went through this with "creatine serum," you know? That's just me and others can feel free to buy what they like. This has been debated ad nauseum and I just wanted to point out to the OP to do some of his own research. That's never a bad thing.

qozon

Awards
i guess ill try my hand at some micronized creatine, or maybe jump straight into some more "modern" (maybe not real) creatine. I mean, if it could work, than sweet. Hopefully it just does something :)

EDIT:
final question, How long would the effects of any kind of creatine bloat take to wear off?

Thanks

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
i guess ill try my hand at some micronized creatine, or maybe jump straight into some more "modern" (maybe not real) creatine. I mean, if it could work, than sweet. Hopefully it just does something :)

EDIT:
final question, How long would the effects of any kind of creatine bloat take to wear off?

Thanks
I typically lose all my water weight in no more than a week after my last dose of CM. I've heard others say it takes them a little longer, but the average is probably a week to 10 days. I'm almost 2 weeks into a cut where I'm not using CM and I lost 4 pounds in the first week. That was my water weight.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
Yes, I think bloating is very person dependent. Just be sure to not load the creatine. I suggest starting with mono as it is the cheapest, and then if that doesn't work for you, you can get something like Green Mag.

qozon

Awards
Do not load the creatine? I thought the best results are obtained by taking about 15-20g for a week, than just take 5g/day for another 3 weeks. That was what i was thinking, is there a better regiment?

Also whats the best breakdown in when you should take it? For instance before workout/after workout/bedtime?

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
Do not load the creatine? I thought the best results are obtained by taking about 15-20g for a week, than just take 5g/day for another 3 weeks. That was what i was thinking, is there a better regiment?

Also whats the best breakdown in when you should take it? For instance before workout/after workout/bedtime?
You get the same results minus the bloating if you don't load it. After 2-4 weeks you will have reached maximum stores.

Suggested dosing is 1g/40 lbs bodyweight, ie. 5 g for a 200 lb person.

I'd take it half preworkout, half post workout on workout days. Any time on off days.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
You get the same results minus the bloating if you don't load it. After 2-4 weeks you will have reached maximum stores.

I'd take it half preworkout, half post workout on workout days. Any time on off days.
There are other methods as well. Again, some research and then trial and error will be necessary to figure out what works best for you.

I cycle 3 days on, then 3 days off. My doses are about 20g per day in 3 or 4 spread out doses. I do this perpetually while bulking or maintaining. There is some evidence to suggest that a 5g maintenance dose will decrease in effectiveness over time without a break. Some people will take the normal dose for a few weeks, then take up to a week off, which is another option if you prefer.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established

This is also what I do. I actually start with about 3-4g 2x a day for about a week. Then I do 3g 2x a day (you could just do 5g 1x a day but I find if I take too much at once I have to visit the toilet :) ) for another 7+ weeks, depending on how long you want to go. I gain water weight but I don't necessarily "bloat". I get awesome pumps though and look notcieably larger.

I may try EctoPower's method next time though. I'm always looking for ways to change things up.

qozon

Awards
k just picked up some Creadrive from the local GNC, only other creatine they had was anabolicswtich, and i wasnt in the mood to drop 70.

Guy at the store said it works a lot better if you take it all postworkout, and thats its a misconception that creatine should be taken preworkout. What do you guys think?

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
k just picked up some Creadrive from the local GNC, only other creatine they had was anabolicswtich, and i wasnt in the mood to drop 70.

Guy at the store said it works a lot better if you take it all postworkout, and thats its a misconception that creatine should be taken preworkout. What do you guys think?
I think you should do two things:

1. Stop listening to what GNC employees tell you.
2. Stop buying from GNC and set up a NutraPlanet account.

Anybody charging you $70 for creatine should be shot on site.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
I may try EctoPower's method next time though. I'm always looking for ways to change things up.
I can't take credit for this though! I got it from AST Sports Science. Their website has all the details on their version of creatine cycling.

qozon

Awards
I think you should do two things:

1. Stop listening to what GNC employees tell you.
2. Stop buying from GNC and set up a NutraPlanet account.

Anybody charging you $70 for creatine should be shot on site.
hahahah gotcha, I think ill go the half preworkout and half postworkout route, see how that works and switch to all preworkout if i dont see results. The creadrive itself was $20 (5.25 g of creatine per serving, 20 servings) and I didnt mind that it was GNC brand (usually low quality) because i figured they just got it from one of the main creatine distributors.

I got my first creatine-enhanced workout coming up today for my back and biceps and im hella excited.

Ill keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
hahahah gotcha, I think ill go the half preworkout and half postworkout route, see how that works and switch to all preworkout if i dont see results. The creadrive itself was $20 (5.25 g of creatine per serving, 20 servings) and I didnt mind that it was GNC brand (usually low quality) because i figured they just got it from one of the main creatine distributors.

I got my first creatine-enhanced workout coming up today for my back and biceps and im hella excited.

Ill keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help.
I'm not saying you need to take it all pre-workout. It's just the idea that taking it pre-workout is somehow a waste is ridiculous. That leads me to my next comment. Don't be surprised if you don't feel any effects for your first or second workout. Creatine takes a few days to build up to the point where you might notice a strength increase. That's why it crazy to say that taking it pre-workout is no good. The reality is that once you build up your muscle creatine stores, the dose you take today my have an impact tomorrow... not necessarily in 30 minutes.

Taking a dose pre-workout just makes it part of your routine and evens the dosing out if you take another dose later, or earlier, in the day. But it really doesn't impact that specific workout.

By the way, you can get a kilo of AST creatine mono from NutraPlanet for under $30 or bulk CM from NutraPlanet for $13. That's 200 servings for $13, as opposed to your 20 servings for $20. I honestly don't know why anybody buys supplements from a store these days.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/search?view%5Bmfg_id%5D=&query=creatine

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i usually go with postworkout because thats when your body is more effiecient at absorbing it. Add in some sugar and you get the most out of it imo. I do take it at other random times but the most of it comes postworkout.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I think that much of the bloat problem from monohydrate comes from the dosing. Last research I saw showed that once you've reached saturation level, creatine can be kept at full saturation with a gram a day. That would explain the bloat, I would think. I see a lot of folks taking 10 grams or more. Now of course I think you'd need more if you're a bigger dude, but not that much more. The study(I'll find it if I can) showed that even skipping a day didn't lower creatine stores significantly below saturation. Total creatine stores in the average male body only comes out to a few grams, if I remeber my biology correctly. I know for sure that it isn't a hell of a lot.

Eh, found the article that I had read, it was a roundtable of coaches and a doctor over at T-nation. Take that for what it's worth. No references were given to the studies cited, a few of them they mentioned were older.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
eh, i think ill drop down to 5g a day now since ive been on it for awhile.

What does creatine that is unused get stored or converted to? I know that most of the waste would probably get urinated out but does it store in other ways if the creatine stores are already full???

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
eh, i think ill drop down to 5g a day now since ive been on it for awhile.

What does creatine that is unused get stored or converted to? I know that most of the waste would probably get urinated out but does it store in other ways if the creatine stores are already full???
Pretty sure it converts to creatinine and gets pissed out.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I've found loading to be a waste. There are theories as to when the perfect time is to take creatine, etc, etc.

I've found that works best is always before working out and afterwards, as that is when it is most utilized.

At the end of the day, as long as you take it consistantly and the dosing is consistant, it will either work or it does not.

qozon

Awards
its been 3.5 weeks and ive gained about 9 lb and an inch on my arms. Im gonna start cutting for two weeks by doing some high intensity interval training every other day. I think ill cycle off for either the first week or the whole 2 weeks.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Micronized Creatine Monohydrate shouldn't give you any bloating, but any other kind of CM should, except for CreaPure. Several popular brands, such as Optimum Nutrition, sell CreaPure CM, which is 99% pure CM. It's imported from Germany and it's very affordable. If I were you, then I'd switch to CreaPure CM. Any other kind of CM would constantly make me feel bloated and gave me a lot of gas. I just couldn't take it anymore, so I stopped taking it, even though RPN's Gut Health could possibly help eliminate any of the foul sides of ingesting CM. If you're budget doesn't have any restrictions, then fork up a few more dollars, and get some bulk Creatine Ethyl Ester, or NeoVar. I've had amazing results with CEE in the past. It definitely shouldn't let you down.

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
ive never received any bloating from AST's micro Creatine Mono. I will be trying the 20g cycling method soon though. Always good to switch it up every once in a while.

qozon

Awards
I actually just used some crappy GNC creatine and I didnt get any sort of bloating, which was very weird. I'm definitely gonna start ordering my products online now due to to the seeminly 50% price hikes that GNC entails. I think the lack of bloating might be more of a personal reaction than anything to the creatine. That said, i saw some amazing improvements in size and strength for the first 2 weeks, but than started to plateau again. Like i said, im gonna cardio for two weeks, and ill also try some shock routines, especially for the stagnant biceps and tripeps to wake them up. It seems like my chest and legs are always sore the next day after a routine, but my triceps a lot of extra work and my biceps seem immune to next day soreness. Im thinking about adding some negatives into the bicep routine or something. any ideas?

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
im almost the same way. legs, back and chest are sore for a few days afterwards but when i work arms i am rarely sore the next day.