Ex-GNC or franchise employees

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Seems like there are some people here who used to work at GNC or franchised supplement stores. It is very evident to me when I go to The Vitamin Shoppe that the sales rep are not very well-versed in anything.

Anyways, what are the commission rates that you get for each product ? It sounds like Muscle-Tech seems to pay the best, but I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) are curious what kind of pay cuts employees are cashing in on. I've very curious on kickbacks.

Please share.

BigD16

Awards
GNC employees make some good spiff's on muscletech and a spiff on each gold card that they sell. other than that you would have to sell quite a bit to get good money on commission alone

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I worked at a Canadian franchise and I, and the store as a whole, received no comissh!

Dammit.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the commisions weren't all that much, just a dollar here or there for different things, but then again, if you're only making six bucks an hour to begin with, it can make some difference.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GNC employees make some good spiff's on muscletech and a spiff on each gold card that they sell. other than that you would have to sell quite a bit to get good money on commission alone
It makes sense, i bet muscletech is there "preferred brand" so they pay less, sell it for more and therefor want there employees to push it.

<^>

Awards
I currently work at GNC - college student. Its one of the best college student jobs because i mostly do homework and sell to people when they come in.

Right now the big commission items are as follows:

Hydroxycut Hardcore 120cap = 4.50
HH 210 cap = 7.50
Muscle Tech's Jay Mass Stack = 15.00
Lipo 6x 120cap = 4.50
Lipo 6x 210cap = 7.50

And theres lots of other items that are bewteen $1-$4 per bottle as well.

Someone said that u get spiffs on gold cards and its only 50cents now per card ...... = lame.

Also most employees get only 1% on all GNC items and now ALL employees hired after Nov. 10 of 2007 WILL NOT recieve any percentage off any GNC items.

So basically in the long run GNC screws themselves since selling a few bottle of third party products give u way more comission then GNC products.

MOST people think u get lots of money working at GNC but in the end ur going out with only 10-11$ an hour with commision applied.

Most people bash on GNC employees and it seems really ridiculous to me since most are just college students looking for a flexible job while going to school that pays more then minimum wage. SO DONT expect any GNC employees to be experts in anything and GNC DOES NOT CLAIM they have educated employees on the supplements they sell. SO to call people stupid who work at GNC is just pointing out ur own stupidity.

ALSO having worked at GNC now 3 years i run into to maybe 2 people every month that actually have some idea of what supplements do and are educated in the basics of diet and excersise. SO when u say all employees just push you on products that sux its true because they get the most commission on that product (as well as me...im tired of trying to help people that think taking a diet pill and sitting on the couch works when i rather up my own paycheck). ALSO u WOULD BE AMAZED at how amny people come in argueing with me that we sell steroids or diet pills that make them skinny or big without going to the gym. AFTER 3 years of working at GNC i have personally given up on helping people meet there goals with there stupidity and would rather up my own paycheck at there expense. :)

:goodpost:

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
I remember whenever muscletech came out with a new product the commission on it was around $6, like Anator and Leukic, then after about a month went down to $4. The name brands dished out the most: MHP, BSN, Gaspari, MRI, and the GNC brand.

Multivitamins and gold cards were huge too, because there was a quota to meet on them. Even with the 30% discount I got, I shopped primarily online.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is quite interesting when explained.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
GNC is probably not necessarily looking to sell more of their own products over items like Muscletech. The cost GNC pays vs the MSRP on Muscletech probably yields a higher profit than they make off the products with their lobel on it. I could be wrong... just theorizing...

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
only the corporate GNC's tend to offer commissions. since the franchises are privately owned, they don't have to provide employees with commission rates. Muscletech and Biogenetix are pretty big commission companies. A few little items here and there from other companies, but nothing too drastic. If you work at GNC, you're gonna be pushin those Hydroxycuts and Cutler Mass Stacks to practically everyone who comes in --- even old granny's lookin for some Biotin. "hey ma'am, have any grandkids lookin to get big?"

<^>

Awards
Also an interesting fact for u all.

GNC pushes that each we get 11% Gold Card (basically take how many Gold cards sold divided by the amount of sales for the week). It costs the customer 15$ to purchase this yearly membership and we GNc employees get $.50 per one sold. They make a huge profit there alone.

GNC also pushes GNC Multivitamins. We must have 12% multis at the end of the week (take total multi vitamin sales and divide total sales for the week). It costs GNC ONLY $.29 per bottle of Multi. We sell the mutli around 31.99 per box and us employees only get 1% in commission on each sale (=.$03).

They profit margin made on multis and gold cards is insane. They just rose all GNC multis by $1 and i couldnt imagine the millions made alone by that $1 increase....

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the application process to be An assistant manager(Ass Man) at a Vitamin Shoppe and they dont pay out comissions for products, it's just hourly for the people working there. The store I'm applying has no sports nutrition knowledge, so I'm like "I'm it! hire me!"

z28man

Awards
  • Established
I currently work at GNC - college student. Its one of the best college student jobs because i mostly do homework and sell to people when they come in.

Right now the big commission items are as follows:

Hydroxycut Hardcore 120cap = 4.50
HH 210 cap = 7.50
Muscle Tech's Jay Mass Stack = 15.00
Lipo 6x 120cap = 4.50
Lipo 6x 210cap = 7.50

And theres lots of other items that are bewteen $1-$4 per bottle as well.

Someone said that u get spiffs on gold cards and its only 50cents now per card ...... = lame.

Also most employees get only 1% on all GNC items and now ALL employees hired after Nov. 10 of 2007 WILL NOT recieve any percentage off any GNC items.

So basically in the long run GNC screws themselves since selling a few bottle of third party products give u way more comission then GNC products.

MOST people think u get lots of money working at GNC but in the end ur going out with only 10-11$ an hour with commision applied.

Most people bash on GNC employees and it seems really ridiculous to me since most are just college students looking for a flexible job while going to school that pays more then minimum wage. SO DONT expect any GNC employees to be experts in anything and GNC DOES NOT CLAIM they have educated employees on the supplements they sell. SO to call people stupid who work at GNC is just pointing out ur own stupidity.

ALSO having worked at GNC now 3 years i run into to maybe 2 people every month that actually have some idea of what supplements do and are educated in the basics of diet and excersise. SO when u say all employees just push you on products that sux its true because they get the most commission on that product (as well as me...im tired of trying to help people that think taking a diet pill and sitting on the couch works when i rather up my own paycheck). ALSO u WOULD BE AMAZED at how amny people come in argueing with me that we sell steroids or diet pills that make them skinny or big without going to the gym. AFTER 3 years of working at GNC i have personally given up on helping people meet there goals with there stupidity and would rather up my own paycheck at there expense. :)

:goodpost:
I worked for Vitamin World for almost 2 yrs in college. I totally agree with everything mentioned above, I tried so hard for so long with people. Eventually the ****ty pay and ignorance wears you out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This post needs to be a sticky.
No, it doesn't. It is not a secret that non-franchised GNC's have a commission system, nor is it important. I really doubt that many people on this board buy a significant amount of supplements there, except for clearance items possibly.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I went in to one today just to see wahts up and the guy gave me hell when asking about there return policy.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
No, it doesn't. It is not a secret that non-franchised GNC's have a commission system, nor is it important. I really doubt that many people on this board buy a significant amount of supplements there, except for clearance items possibly.
That and I highly doubt anyone from this board is gonna be gullible enough to by anything a gnc employee is pushing anyways.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I don't think I have been to a GNC in 2 years.

<^>

Awards
I personally would check into a GNC every 2-3 months just to check on discontinued items are markdowns.

I bought 2 tubs of H+ Blocker for 6$ a jug, thats not including my 30% discount.

Also if ur needing protien drinks (rtds) or bars, they always have lots marked down cuz they never sell.

Markdown works like this: (taking example from december markdowns)

December - 90% off (all regular price)
Jan, Feb - 75% off
March, April, May - 50%
June, July - 33%

ALL CORPORATE stores have to follow these guidelines. If u go into a store and check expired products and it doesnt follow this then DEMAND they marked it down to the price it should be. SOME stores wont post the markdown price so they can sell at the original price to boost sales.

AS for franchised stores they follow a different policy with markdowns and returns.

RETURN POLICIES!!!:

ALL products (except gold cards) can be returned or exchanged within 30 days from purchase date AS LONG AS U HAVE UR RECIEPT. You may have the container fully used and they cant give ur crap for it or anything.

IF U DON NOT have ur reciept, you can ONLY return GNC products and will get the money back on store credit.

IF YOU return products almost empty or empty every month they can call corporate and put you on a ban list for returns AT THAT STORE. (so this means you can go to another local store and return it there)

THIS POLICY IS AMAZING!! I personally use this policy and have all my friends use it to try new products before they have to fully commit to buying it. I would personally find a product online you want and go to a GNC and try to find it and buy it, try it for 30 days and then return it. If u liked it buy it online (guaranteed cheaper) or if you didnt you dont lose any money.

THIS IS THE ONLY GREAT THING ABOUT GNC!

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
from experience w/ gnc

7$ base/hour

5$ commission per MT product sold (regardless of price)

I believe Xyience was 3$ kickback/product

Many brands were less than 1$/product

This is why you are encouraged to buy MT so heavily.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
See there is some good info flowing around here.

So ur saying I can use Jay's Mass Stack, go back and say it didn't do shlt and get my money back ?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a boy work out at a GNC in Minnesota. After commission he was making $12-15/hr. Which IMO is pretty good for a college student.

He was a big guy who was well groomed and knew what he was talking about so I imagine that made making sales a little easier. He said he pushed mostly Muscle Tech products so that makes sense.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cannot believe Popeye's doesn't offer commission. I cleared upwards of 2-3 grand on a good day by myself.

<^>

Awards
See there is some good info flowing around here.

So ur saying I can use Jay's Mass Stack, go back and say it didn't do shlt and get my money back ?
Yep within 30 days, u can keep the poster and just bring back the other stuff. JUST make sure u keep the reciept.

ALso the sales associate will be happy with ya, he makes 15$ off ya :)

Most muscletech stuff is 3-4$ - only very few are $4+.

Nanovapr = 4.80
Creakic = 3
Celltech Big = 3.50
Nano9x = 4.60

I work in california so we get 7.50 base pay plus whatever comission and it works out to 11-12 per hour depending on the week could be more, aka gold card week u make pretty good money but the rest of the month suxs ass.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We talkin' Fried Chicken here, soja?
Haha, no. Popeye's Supplements is Canada's main retail supplement outlet. The MSRP are jacked, as they are in Canada, but I still could have made ridiculous commission.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
The GNC in the mall by my house sells No-Xplode for $70.00 a tub, Yes thats Seventy Dollars a tub. Sad thing is they can hardly keep it on the shelves.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
7$ base/hour

5$ commission per MT product sold (regardless of price)

I believe Xyience was 3$ kickback/product

Many brands were less than 1$/product

This is why you are encouraged to buy MT so heavily.
Yep back in my freshman year of college I worked GNC for a month. I pushed the hell out of some MT products.

Guys on these boards that bash GNC need to take into consideration that everyone that comes in there aren't just looking for muslce building products. We have loads of seniors coming in all of the time.

The majority of people that came to our GNC were old or fat but the avg gym rat that came in was easy to sell too.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Last time I have been in a GNC must have been at least 5 years ago. I saw a "manager" in there she must have been at least 400 pounds at about 5 feet tall, maybe 60% bodyfat.