interference with creatine absorption?

HPatel650

HPatel650

Awards
as the title says does anything interfere with creatine being absorbed, i remember reading somewhere that glutamine interferes but not totally positive. any opinions?

jdrannin1

Awards
I dont think anything interferes with creatine absorption. You can take it with food (which is what I do) or you can take it on an empty stomach. To be honest, I find taking it with a vehicle, like food, protein or carbs, minimizes bloat and water retention and I always just chalked that up to enhanced absorption. Above all, drink enough water for it to effective.

HPatel650

HPatel650

Awards
o ok, yea the water consumption part I have to get used too i drink a lot but for creatine i gotta drink A LOT more

jdrannin1

Awards
You dont have to drink yourself to death. Just take your creatine in a glass of water and within the next half hour to hour, drink 2 more glasses. That should be enough. You dont have to down it all at once.

HPatel650

HPatel650

Awards
i c, lol the label on green mag says drink 1-2 gallons of water a day for full effectiveness >.>

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
If creatine mono is the case yes water is a huge deal. IF it is other forms. I often drink 8-10oz after i consumer the intial dose. Then make sure you stay at the regular gal. a day. Go over but dont sweat it as long as you are at at least 1 gal a day.

You have have cramps more though also. If you bloat up it is obviously casue of the water.
I never liked the idea of mono casue of the bloat everyone talks about.

I just started on Creatine Gluconate...this stuff rocks. 1 week and feeling tight and full.

luke1984

luke1984

Awards
  • Established
If creatine mono is the case yes water is a huge deal. IF it is other forms. I often drink 8-10oz after i consumer the intial dose. Then make sure you stay at the regular gal. a day. Go over but dont sweat it as long as you are at at least 1 gal a day.

You have have cramps more though also. If you bloat up it is obviously casue of the water.
I never liked the idea of mono casue of the bloat everyone talks about.

I just started on Creatine Gluconate...this stuff rocks. 1 week and feeling tight and full.
Sounds nice, I'd like to try some soon.
What dosage dou you use?

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
caffeine is one thing to possibly avoid when taking creatine, but oddly enough it is in a lot of creatine products.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Waaay back in the day, I remember hearing that you shouldn't take your creatine with very strong acidic drinks, like orange juice. It (mono) does absorb better with a small amount of simple sugars. Apparently just a tad of sodium greatly improves absorbtion, too.

Turk

Awards
arginine inhibits creatine absorption?
According to the writeup from ALRI's N' Gorge

“Mitochondrial creatine transport was to a significant part dependent on the energetic state of mitochondria and was inhibited by arginine, and to some extent also by lysine, but not by other creatine analogues and related compounds.”

And this statement holds true whether AAKG, arginine-malate, or even AEE (arginine ethyl ester) is used in the formula! “Hmmm, no wonder I wasn’t getting any stronger or bigger on creatine/NO2 product ‘X, Y, or Z...I wasn’t even absorbing the freaking creatine!!”

Any info on this?
And if it is true, any way around it?
From this thread //anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/45470-arginine-inhibits-creatine.html

J Appl Physiol. 1996 Feb;80(2):452-7.
Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading.

Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Department of Kinesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium.

This study aimed to compare the effects of oral creatine (Cr) supplementation with creatine supplementation in combination with caffeine (Cr+C) on muscle phosphocreatine (PCr) level and performance in healthy male volunteers (n = 9). Before and after 6 days of placebo, Cr (0.5 g x kg-1 x day-1), or Cr (0.5 g x kg-1 x day-1) + C (5 mg x kg-1 x day-1) supplementation, 31P-nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the gastrocnemius muscle and a maximal intermittent exercise fatigue test of the knee extensors on an isokinetic dynamometer were performed. The exercise consisted of three consecutive maximal isometric contractions and three interval series of 90, 80, and 50 maximal voluntary contractions performed with a rest interval of 2 min between the series. Muscle ATP concentration remained constant over the three experimental conditions. Cr and Cr+C increased (P < 0.05) muscle PCr concentration by 4-6%. Dynamic torque production, however, was increased by 10-23% (P < 0.05) by Cr but was not changed by Cr+C. Torque improvement during Cr was most prominent immediately after the 2-min rest between the exercise bouts. The data show that Cr supplementation elevates muscle PCr concentration and markedly improves performance during intense intermittent exercise. This ergogenic effect, however, is completely eliminated by caffeine intake.

PMID: 8929583
Just to highlight a few points:

1) Creatine was administered in 8 equal doses split throughout the day.
2) Caffeine was administered in a single dose following breakfast.
3) The participants followed a standardized diet with a 18/50/32 macronutrient breakdown.

It should also be noted that this study corresponds to around 50g and 500mg of Cr/C respectively for a 100kg individual. This is a significant dose of creatine to be rendered useless by the caffeine.
From this thread //anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-articles/60200-caffeine-counteracts-ergogenic.html

**Sorry I couldn't post the entire link, this is my 1st post and it won't let me.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the boards, Turk.