Any supps that help keep your body moisturized with winter coming?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
When it starts to get cold (or when I travel back to the midwest) of course the moisture content in the air lowers significantly. Last week was the first week it got in the low 40s / upper 30s here and my skin really started to suffer. I got dry hands and very dry face and lips. Everytime I dry out like that I end up getting cold sores / fever blisters which are even more of a pain to deal with.

Anyway, is there anything that will help keep my moisture in so I don't get so dry? I'm not really interested in lotions and such. Maybe a full body soap but I'm thinking more along the lines of supplements or vitamins (salt perhaps?)

Thanks!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
high dose fish oil maybe? my skin in general never felt better than when I was taking 30-40g of fish oil a day

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
high dose fish oil maybe? my skin in general never felt better than when I was taking 30-40g of fish oil a day
I'll have to try that. I have just been taking 4g a day. I take probably 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO as well right now, do you think that should help. Although I will admit during Thanksgiving vaca my diet went all to $hit and I didn't get my normal oils, perhaps that attributed to it as well.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Sesamin did wonders for my skin when I used it during winter, left it baby soft. I think 3 small squirts of sesamin along with 6g of fish oil (2g epa/dha) a day would be a good start.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Sesamin did wonders for my skin when I used it during winter, left it baby soft. I think 3 small squirts of sesamin along with 6g of fish oil (2g epa/dha) a day would be a good start.
Cool - thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check it out. I hear good things about sesamin in general anyway.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Isn't this exactly what Poissiden does?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Yes that is exactly what Poseidon does.

In fact it is GREAT for snow boarders, skiiers etc who are in an environment with low humidity and the dry inside air.

CROWLER

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Excellent! I have about 1100grams of that stuff right here :) - I have just been taking 1 scoop mid morning as my sort of "coffee". It really refreshes me and wakes me up. I also use it when I know I"m going to be drinking alcohol. I'll up my dosage of it and see if it helps out.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
When it starts to get cold (or when I travel back to the midwest) of course the moisture content in the air lowers significantly. Last week was the first week it got in the low 40s / upper 30s here and my skin really started to suffer. I got dry hands and very dry face and lips. Everytime I dry out like that I end up getting cold sores / fever blisters which are even more of a pain to deal with.

Anyway, is there anything that will help keep my moisture in so I don't get so dry? I'm not really interested in lotions and such. Maybe a full body soap but I'm thinking more along the lines of supplements or vitamins (salt perhaps?)

Thanks!
Bottom line - avoid HOT baths, use dove soap, apply thick moisturizers to wet skin (ie eucerin original or even aquaphor). The key is to WET skin. Unless the skin is wet, you can't get the best benefit form the moisture. Forget oral supplements to enhance overall skin moisture content.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Forget oral supplements to enhance overall skin moisture content.

So an oral supplement such as sodium and other items in Poseidon doesn't help keep the body hydrated which in turn helps keep the skin hydrated, when involved in exercise? It seems to really help me stay hydrated on my long run/ride workouts. I thought it did.

I think the OP goes on hikes on the weekends which for me in dry weather really causes me to dehydrate.

CROWLER

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Now, now....

Supplements listed will all assist, but I'd agree w/ DeerDeer that they alone cannot fully overcome the effects of the weather on skin.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
You can always try bathing with some Java Lather to keep your skin nice and moisturised ;)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea for sure you need to use moisturizer on the outside and keep yourself hydrated also. I don't think he was saying moisturizer alone would keep your skin from drying out if you didn't also keep yourself hydrated.

CROWLER

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
You can always try bathing with some Java Lather to keep your skin nice and moisturised ;)
HA you got it Asian BABE!

The first winter stack.

Java Lather and Poseidon :study:

I LOVE IT!

CROWLER

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to try that. I have just been taking 4g a day. I take probably 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO as well right now, do you think that should help. Although I will admit during Thanksgiving vaca my diet went all to $hit and I didn't get my normal oils, perhaps that attributed to it as well.
Second that. Yeah, healthy oils and fats and a milder soap. There are mens soaps that are formulated for dry/sensitive skin, maybe give that a try.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You guys are homos. Guys have rough, dry skin.

jk, I agree with everything everyone says. :D

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea for sure you need to use moisturizer on the outside and keep yourself hydrated also. I don't think he was saying moisturizer alone would keep your skin from drying out if you didn't also keep yourself hydrated.

CROWLER
That's a given - I was just referring to supplements that were aforementioned. I don't think the use of sodium in any way shape or form can help keep the skin moisturized via direct supplementation. A supplement like pseidon can't be directly correlated with moisture retintion in the skin, I don't think it is marketed in that fashion either :) The water ingested likely plays the major role.

It is true that H2O follows sodium in our cells, but continual homeostatic mechanisms in our body keep the concentrations nromalized when ingested in normal quantities.

Other factors in skin hydration include thyroid hormone levels...