Sprinter Supplements

CrossMaster

Awards
What supplements do you all recommend for a competitive sprinter? NCAA legal please.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
RPM, bcaa, drive...wish this stuff was around when i was sprinting in college.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
RPM Drive, BCAA Beta Alanine. Nuff said!

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
Cordygen5/Body Octane would be the best stack for running, hands down. Throw some BCAA's into the mix to make it even better.

If I HAD to choose just one, Body Octane would be the way to go. Surprised that nobody else has suggested it yet?? :confused: One of the most impressive/underrated products on the market.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Double check the rulings.

But PLCAR, Citrulline, and B-Alanine will work great.

Also look into Magnesium Lactate.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you could specify, do you want a supplement to help you for the sprint, or just to help your training (i.e. to help with muscle and speed gains).

I'd also say Beta-Alanine as a basic supp, and agree about BCAA's atleast.

CrossMaster

Awards
My training consists of sprinting and lifting. So ideally I am looking for supplements to aid both.

CrossMaster

Awards
Ok, here is my plan:
Drive
RPM
Beta-alanine
HMB

I have budget for one more supplement. Should I go Neovar, or IGF-2, or something else?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, here is my plan:
Drive
RPM
Beta-alanine
HMB

I have budget for one more supplement. Should I go Neovar, or IGF-2, or something else?
Why HMB? BCAAs or even just bulk Leucine powder would be a better option. IGF-2 would help out with body comp and recovery. For performance athletics, I think it is a better choice than NeoVar. That is by no means a knock on NeoVar, though.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Ok, here is my plan:
Drive
RPM
Beta-alanine
HMB

Yeah, I'd drop the HMB and add in creatine monohydrate instead. Creatine and BA work very well together. BCAAs are good too.

And while these are all fine, I'll tell you the biggest mistake I made in college was diet. I was a pole vaulter and while I increased my speed and strength a ton in the first two years, I plateaued quickly and never put on much mass. Make sure you have plenty of protein in your diet, not just high carbs. Runners always go high carb for energy and recovery, but sprinters especially need a lot of protein to build powerful muscle. You can generate a lot of power with the upper body in a sprint, not just legs. That's why the best sprinters look like running backs.

Good luck man!

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Ok, here is my plan:
Drive
RPM
Beta-alanine
HMB

HMB only really shows results in new trainers. Leucine is a better option, aswell as creatine.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, here is my plan:
Drive
RPM
Beta-alanine
HMB

Yea I agree with others drop the HMB. Grab some creatine monohydrate or some form of creatine. I loved Neovar some dry creatine gains there. I haven't tried IGF-2 but may serve better than NeoVar for what your doing. Maybe some cirturilline malate in place of the HMB they cost close to the same for effective doses?

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Isn't caffeine banned? I know its banned in Olympic competitions....

Being a former sprinter, Id say creatine and beta alanine.

What distance are you running? 100/200/400?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Isn't caffeine banned? I know its banned in Olympic competitions....

Being a former sprinter, Id say creatine and beta alanine.

What distance are you running? 100/200/400?
There's certain regulations controlling caffeine intake, but it is not banned per se.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
WTF is going on in this thread? It's all over the place.

Clout. It's specifically formulated for fast twitch explosive power, and that's outside the creatine it contains.

Cordygen5. It increases ATP and increases the efficiency of oxygen utilization. Basically, more output with less oxygen. The Chinese womens track team broke 6 world records, while testing negative. They claim it was cordyceps. lol. It does boost test, too.

Possibly citrulline. It buffers ammonia, a limiting factor for anaerobic excercise. I'ce read studies going both ways. In my experience it works great.

Rhodiola. It's a cheap adaptogen which increases ATP and lung function, IIRC.

Revenge Pro. SERC's rock!!! It's a great product, try it in training. Tastes good, too.

Caffeine. Here's a tricky one: it's legal (AFAIK) up to a certain amount per lb bodyweight. It's up to you to verify. The dosing protocol is very important, if you want to see the potent performance benefits. Chronic use dramatically reduces its performance boosting effects, so it's of utmost importance that you stop taking any form of it on a day to day basis. most of us would need a month or more on the wagon to bring our bodies back to normal.

Once you've re-aclimated to not being pinned out of your mind every day, you'll want to take in around 400-600mg caffeine pre-event, about 20-30 minutes before. Chewable caffeinated gum is the best way to do this: it's thefastest absorbtion, and will not weight yourstomach down. Keep in mind you better try it in ****ing training before you try it for real. Keep in mind too that it's very easy to reduce the effects of the caffeine by even semi-frequent usage.

CrossMaster

Awards
I run the 60/100/200 m. Caffeine is banned but in high doses. You would basically have to be chugging coffee right before you got tested to pop positive.

I am hearing creatine, but I have always heard this is bad for runners due to dehydration which leads to cramping. Fact or fiction?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I run the 60/100/200 m. Caffeine is banned but in high doses. You would basically have to be chugging coffee right before you got tested to pop positive.

I am hearing creatine, but I have always heard this is bad for runners due to dehydration which leads to cramping. Fact or fiction?
creatine upholds water in the body. It helps store water actually. Creatine has been known to help in sprinting though. I can post up the article if you want. It's LONG!

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established

Id go with Clout, its an all in one for your needs, and I'd pop 200mg caffeine within an hour of the 'gun'.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
creatine upholds water in the body. It helps store water actually. Creatine has been known to help in sprinting though. I can post up the article if you want. It's LONG!
Could you post the article? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
2.5: What types of athletes can benefit from creatine supplementation?

The effects of creatine in many types of athletes has been researched, sometimes in sport-specific activities. Some of the various populations and exercises that have improved after creatine supplementation are listed here.

Weight lifting

Many studies have examined the effects of creatine on resistance training performance, using one rep maximum as the performance measure. A meta-analysis of sixteen placebo-controlled studies on resistance trained males published in 2002 found creatine supplementation to increase one rep maximum for bench press by an average of 15.07 lbs. and one rep maximum for squat by an average of 21.47 lbs. Another review looked at improvements in 1, 3, and 10 rep maximums following creatine supplementation and found an average of an 8% greater increase compared to placebo. The review also found an improvement of weight lifting performance measured by an increase in the number of repititions at a given percentage of maximal strength of 14% relative to placebo.

Swimming

The effect of creatine (.3 g/kg loading followed by 2.25 g maintenance) or placebo on swimming performance on 50 and 100 y sprints was measured in fifteen Division III swimmers. The subjects given creatine had improved performance compared to pre-supplementation on both events. Another study in junior swimmers found no improvement in single sprints from creatine supplementation, but did find an enhancement of swim bench test performance. Multiple other studies have also found creatine to improve swimming performance.

Soccer

A recent study examined the effects of three doses of 10 g creatine daily or placebo in twenty male soccer players over the course of seven days. Performance on a number of soccer-related tests was measured. Creatine improved performance on the dribble test, sprint-power test, and vertical jump test. These tasks rely primarily on the ATP-PCr system. Creatine failed to improve endurance performance in these subjects. The authors concluded that creatine improved soccer-specific skills in young soccer players. Four previous studies have also found impoved performance on similar tests from creatine supplementation in highly trained soccer players.

Cycling

A number of studies have found creatine to improve cycling performance, especially sprint performance followed by short rest periods. Additionally, creatine may even improve endurance cycling performance.

Sprinting

Creatine appears to improve sprint performance, but not to the same degree as most other forms of exercise. While some studies indicate a benefit, others do not. It is possible that the increase in body mass makes a larger difference here.

Rowing

A study examined the effect of creatine (20 g daily) or placebo for five days on exercise tests in elite rowers. It found that creatine increased the exercise time for anaerobic exercise against a constant load in this study population. However, another study did not find an improvement from creatine supplementation in a high intensity rowing and strength program.

Wrestling

In one study, 20 international level wrestlers were given creatine (four doses of 5 g daily) or placebo and underwent Wingate anaerobic tests. There was significant improvement after supplementation with creatine, but not placebo.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I am curious how Beta-alanine would work for a sprinter?

I noticed beta-alanine works best for high reps/endurance. Not short bursts or low reps.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established

In my opinion, you'd have to take a ton of creatine monohydrate and not drink anything to have a dehydration problem. But if you don't drink any water the day of your events, you're screwed anyway. I don't think regular creatine supplementation increases your chances of dehydration.

Jsyn, from what I understand BA helps boost the power output and increased recovery you get with CM. In any track meet, the sprints may be short, but there are several of them over the course of a day or more. Track meets are notorious for being very loooooooong. The 100m prelims might be in the morning with the finals in the afternoon of a 1 day meet. Or for bigger meets, you might have prelims on Sat. morning, then a semi-final later in the day, then the finals on Sunday. Recovery is a HUGE issue for track and field athletes. Plus, anybody who runs the 100m probably runs the 200m (same prelim-semi-final set up applies), and maybe the 4x100 relay (usually prelims and finals). It's a lot of stopping and starting and everytime you go, you need to go balls to the wall. Anything that can help you refuel, rehydrate, and recover between races is a must. Decathaletes have it the worst. 10 events over 2 days is insane. And many of them also do other events at the big meets (conference champs., nationals, etc.)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Double check the rulings.

But PLCAR, Citrulline, and B-Alanine will work great.

Also look into Magnesium Lactate.
This...combined with a few other goodies. I posted a study where some pretty significant effects were seen as far as shortening velocity.

You will want something like that off the line.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
After ten weeks, however, carnosine levels had risen 80%. (Similar to creatine, beta-alanine takes a little time to build up in muscle.) Interestingly, the sharp rise in carnosine levels was present across all muscle fiber types - Type I, IIa, and IIb (slow and fast twitch). This would lend further credibility to the belief that beta-alanine can benefit all types of athletes, regardless of their mode or intensity of exercise.

Looks great for sprinters too...

Too bad they didn't have BA back when I did some sprinting or played sports. Heck creatine wasn't even in the picture yet...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
After ten weeks, however, carnosine levels had risen 80%. (Similar to creatine, beta-alanine takes a little time to build up in muscle.) Interestingly, the sharp rise in carnosine levels was present across all muscle fiber types - Type I, IIa, and IIb (slow and fast twitch). This would lend further credibility to the belief that beta-alanine can benefit all types of athletes, regardless of their mode or intensity of exercise.

Looks great for sprinters too...

Too bad they didn't have BA back when I did some sprinting or played sports. Heck creatine wasn't even in the picture yet...
Hell, sprinting was running away from T-Rexes in your day, right?

CHA0S

CHA0S

Awards
  • Established
yea also make sure to drink all natural coconut water. no added sugar and its really good for you. replaces lost electrolytes, and adds a good amount of potassium and magnesium into your body for extra energy to last for while.

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
Have any of you tried Body Octane?? :confused: A combo of that and C5 would be insane.

Serving Size1Scoop(11.5g)
Servings Per Container50 (2 scoops per day)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 0†
Total Fat 0g†
Cholesterol 0mg†
Total Carbohydrate 0†
Sugars 0g†
Protein 0†

Vitamin B6(as Pyridoxine HCL) 5mg †
Vitamin B12(as Methylcobalamin) 15mcg †
Pantothenic Acid(as D-Calcium Pantothenate) 10mg †
Niacin 25mg †
Folic Acid 400mcg †

Citrulline Malate 3.5g†
Beta Alanine 1.6g†
L-Carnitine L-Tartrate 1g†
Glucuronolactone 1g†
L-Aspartic Acid 750mg†
Histidine HCL 250mg†

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have any of you tried Body Octane?? :confused: A combo of that and C5 would be insane.
MAN makes some of the best quality, and scientifically sound, supplement in the industry.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I personally have used BodyOctane and Cordygen5 in a cardio stack, and had some great results. Unfortunately, BodyOctane is rather expensive (pay for what you get, but nonetheless pricey over bulk supplements).

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I personally have used BodyOctane and Cordygen5 in a cardio stack, and had some great results. Unfortunately, BodyOctane is rather expensive (pay for what you get, but nonetheless pricey over bulk supplements).
it definitely isn't the cheapest supplement around, but if you break down each individual ingredient and were to purchase it in bulk you wouldn't be saving more than a few dollars. you're also getting flavoring and don't have to mix them yourself. dwm made a breakdown of it on bb.com a while ago. i might be able to find it if you want me to.

CrossMaster

Awards
I started my my bottles of RPM and Drive last week. We had one of the hardest workouts all year last week and let me tell you, this stuff is great. I felt good and powered through the workout as if it was just a warm-up. I'm looking forward to seeing what I feel like a few weeks into this.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
A lot of good feedback above.... finally a thread where people are helpful! ;)

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, Crossmaster! You should Get Diesel!!!1!11

;)

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established

Serving Size1Scoop(11.5g)
Servings Per Container50 (2 scoops per day)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 0†
Total Fat 0g†
Cholesterol 0mg†
Total Carbohydrate 0†
Sugars 0g†
Protein 0†

Vitamin B6(as Pyridoxine HCL) 5mg †
Vitamin B12(as Methylcobalamin) 15mcg †
Pantothenic Acid(as D-Calcium Pantothenate) 10mg †
Niacin 25mg †
Folic Acid 400mcg †

Citrulline Malate 3.5g†
Beta Alanine 1.6g†
L-Carnitine L-Tartrate 1g†
Glucuronolactone 1g†
L-Aspartic Acid 750mg†
Histidine HCL 250mg†
Very good post. C5 and BO would BY FAR trump the other suggestions given. Like by a lot...

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pretty much. You could call it the Ethiopian stack.

No racial slur intended. Ethiopians happen to be among the worlds best runners. ;)

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much. You could call it the Ethiopian stack.

No racial slur intended. Ethiopians happen to be among the worlds best runners. ;)

Is this supposed to be helpful, or funny? Not sure it's either one.

whitedevil74

whitedevil74

Awards
  • Established
Cordygen5/Body Octane would be the best stack for running, hands down. Throw some BCAA's into the mix to make it even better.

If I HAD to choose just one, Body Octane would be the way to go. Surprised that nobody else has suggested it yet?? :confused: One of the most impressive/underrated products on the market.
Agree, I fail to see how RPN/Drive is going to do much at all in aiding sprinting, they are good supplements in their own right, but for the thread starters purposes Body Octane + Cordygen5 is a much better choice.

Now for the pimping - Swell from Nimbus would also assist in your goals as it contains the hydration/wellness based Poseidon Complex, Leucine for enhanced recovery and protein synsthesis, Beta-alanine for enhanced peak performance, and citrulline malate to increase cardio/endurance performance.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is this supposed to be helpful, or funny? Not sure it's either one.
Neither, just an observation. That stack can make you feel like a world class runner, when normally you feel slow and ungainly. To quantify, I can run with my mouth closed at a pace I'd be panting at without.

I was in the army. I was the second fastest runner in my unit. The fastest was an Ethiopian guy. I ran into that many times. Those guys just motor!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
What was your 2-miler time? Do you remember his too?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My 3k was between 10-11 minutes. His was, uh, faster. :D

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Agree, I fail to see how RPN/Drive is going to do much at all in aiding sprinting, they are good supplements in their own right, but for the thread starters purposes Body Octane + Cordygen5 is a much better choice.

Now for the pimping - Swell from Nimbus would also assist in your goals as it contains the hydration/wellness based Poseidon Complex, Leucine for enhanced recovery and protein synsthesis, Beta-alanine for enhanced peak performance, and citrulline malate to increase cardio/endurance performance.
I humbly disagree :)

Drive helps recovery and increases aggressiveness, as well as allowing for gains in strength and endurance- all important qualities for a sprinter. Drive also allows for a substantial increase in ACH, which will allow for harder, faster, and longer muscle contractions- which is paramount for running faster times. Running fast times is basically just teaching your muscles to fire in the correct sequence harder and faster (easier said than done, of course ;)), and Drive will allow you to do this......

I run the 60 and 100m competitively, and these are all characteristics that will help in terms of running faster times- I have every single one of the elite guys I train with at UNCC using Drive/RPM/NeoVar/IGF-2, and every single sprinter over there has seen an improvement in their times since beginning this supplementation regimen- we have one guy training here (Anwar Moore) who even has the best time in the world in the 110m hurdles this year :D

BodyOctane will help recovery as well- and Drive already contains large amounts of cordyceps- so using Cordygen5 would actually be overkill........I like beta-alanine and BCAA's as well, especially this time of year, because we are in conditioning phase ATM before indoor, and the overload can really stress your body. During conditioning phase, we are running lots of intervals, 1-2 1-2's, circuits, pretty much with limited rest times- it really sucks, but Drive and other goodies from AN really help quite a bit.:thumbsup: