FISH OIL(omega 3)...how much do you take?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just currious how much people are taking . i was only taking like 1000mg....now i just started at 5000mg

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I was taking about 3000mg-5000mg per day but it kinda made my tummy ache. That and everytime I burped it smelled like my ex wifes vagina.
I'm thinking of getting back on it, and dosing around 1000mg/day in the morning.

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
Good god! Do you sit down to a big ol' bowl of Omega-3 caps in the morning or what? I'm going to go read that thread.
Hahaha :toofunny: We could have a the worlds newest cereal idea!!! But 40g a day . . .damn:jaw: I take 4000-5000 mg a day.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm doing 0 right now, doing an x-factor log, so no fish oil. Was doing 45g a day, from liquid fish body oils. An 8oz bottle lasts about 6 days. My skin was soft and smooth, after 3 weeks my hair texture was nice and smooth and not too oily (felt oily the first couple weeks), I had good mood but other than that its hard to say what value it had

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used a PH released omega 3 so the absorption is 100%.

beallio

beallio

Awards
What results have you been seeing from such high doses?

Oh, and I take 6g's a day.
I feel pretty good, and it's helped curbed my appetite as well (though I don't know if this is due to a change in my diet - increase protein and fat, decrease carbs).

Overall, (i) my joints haven't felt this good in forever (feel like I'm in highschool again - almost), (ii) skins looking great, (iii) haven't noticed anything with the hair, and (iv) jury's out on whether it's helping with my recomp, but it isn't hurting that's for sure. Also I've been in a better mood as of late, and usually around this time of year I turn real melancholy due to the birthday and weather.

Maybe it's all placebo, but either way, it's cheap and has been effective for me. More so than a majority of the non-PH supps I put in my system.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
I take in anywhere from 24-30 Grams per day. There is definately some anabolic/anti-catabolic value to mega dosed fish oil.

beallio

beallio

Awards
does that contribute to hairloss?
Is oily hair supposed to contribute to hair loss? This is a new one on me, especially considering olive oil is supposed to do wonders for the hair.

B

Batesy

Awards
As you know not all fish oil / omega 3 caps are created equal. The poll would be more meaningful if amounts were stated in mg of EPA / DHA.

Myself, I am not a megadoser, but might try it shortly.

Currently 3 x 1000mg caps per day super strength Fish oil is giving me:

990mg EPA
660 mg DHA

Batesy

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
does that contribute to hairloss?
It should not.

Fish oil is a multifaceted nutrient that should be a part of any athletes arsenal of supplements. I take about 6g to 8g of Fish Oil per day. Always with meals. These 6g to 8g provide about 2.1g to 2.8g of EPA and 1.5g to 2.0g of DHA. Your fish oil supplement should deliver around 30% to 35% / 20% to 25% ratio of EPA/DHA.

You are already familiar with the advantages of fish oil supplementation such as reduction in triglyceride levels, protection of healthy arterial blood flow, reduction of pro-inflammatory cytokines and postaglandins, enhancement of cognitive function, and so on, so I would not elaborate on those.

Trip, I know you love garlic. I am sure you know fish oil can also be combined with garlic to generate significant improvements in cardiovascular function :D

On a more general note, we should keep in mind that different fish oil products do not necessarily deliver the same results, even if dosed identically. One reason is the level of pollutants and impurities that might be available in the product. For perspective, toxins such as mercury, PCBs, and dioxins are the three main pollutants found in fish (oil). These have been demonstrated to cause cancer, atherosclerosis, and brain damage.

Another reason is the level of concentration for EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), the most bioavailable forms of omega-3 fatty acids.

Some of the best fish-oil products provide oil sourced from pure wild sardines, anchovy, and mackerel fished in cold deep waters where environmental impurities are low. No matter what your fish-oil source is, be sure of the purity. And the EPA/DHA ratios.

Something else. One way to improve the potency of your fish oil is to co-supplement with sesame lignans.

When we consume fats, our body breaks them down such that special enzymes determine which inflammatory pathway they follow: either enhance or suppress inflammatory reactions. As it turns out, the lignans from sesame inhibit the expression of an enzyme known as delta-5 desaturase. This enzyme causes dietary fats to be converted into arachidonic acid, a precursor to the toxic inflammatory factors prostaglandin E2 and leukotriene B4. This is, by the way, why you should avoid fish oil while using an Arachidonic Acid product such as X-Factor. Furthermore, sesame lignans also multiply levels of useful DGLA (di-homogamma linolenic acid). DGLA is the precursor to prostaglandin E1 that, amongst others, suppresses inflammatory conditions. Supplementation with GLA (gamma linolenic acid), for instance through borage oil, also increases levels of DGLA and prostaglandin E1. So avoid sesame lignans (and GLA), if you are on an arachidonic acid product.

Also, cellular energy production requires the burning of fatty acids in the mitochondria. If liver mitochondria sub-optimally burn fatty acids, excess triglycerides can accumulate in the blood, contributing to arterial occlusion. Sesame helps to increase mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation enzymes in the liver, cut triglyceride levels and inhibit body fat storage.

Furthermore, when we ingest a polyunsaturated fat like fish oil, it rapidly degenerates into byproducts that can generate excess free-radical activity. Sesame doubles as a potent free-radical scavenger (antioxidant) and can lower undesirable lipid peroxidation arising from fish oil supplementation. Vitamin E (including gamma tocopherols) can also do this. Interestingly, sesame lignans possess the unique ability to increase tissue levels of vitamin E! Beyond this, you can also use alpha lipoic acid as a powerful free-radical quencher.

So, the amount of fish oil one takes is not the point. More important is to understand how much of toxin-free EPA and DHA we get per gramme of our fish oil product.

Before you consume fish oil, especially in high doses, be sure to find out if your fish-oil producer subjects his product to rigorous testing for purity and concentration performed by independent quality-assurance programs such as the International Fish Oil Standards (IFOS) program. Third-party laboratory assays may not be enough, as they mainly check whether the active compounds satisfy the label claims. A review of the presence of pollutants, as well as the rate of dissolution, that is how quickly the product releases within a specific time, are some checks for purity and quality. Testing can also be more demanding than this.

All in all, stick to your fish oil (except you are on an arachidonic-acid product). Fish oil is a very versatile agent. But be more selective. You deserve better. Good will fish-oil hunting!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Read that it is decent. The one I currently am taking I like because it provides a full spectrum of seven natural omega 3 fatty acids -- EPA, DHA, ALA and more. I seem to not also get the burpy feeling that I did with lot of the OTC fish oil.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
2-3g for me. I take 2 tablespoons of olive oil too....what that has to do with fish oil? I have no idea ;)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, but interestingly flameout is pretty reasonable for its DHA/EPA content level. if you try to get the same with conventional fish oil, it will cost the same or more

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
I don't know, you can find other fish oils with megadosed EPA/DHA for a more reasonable price than Flameout.

I'll also say that their ZMA, creatine, and protein powder is economically priced... The rest of their line is pretty unreasonable in my opinion.

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
48g/day.

Rexall's 1200mg capsules. 10 capsules x 4 meals.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I take Fish oil and Flax oil about 4g of each. Per day. 2g in the morning, and 2g at noon.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I take Fish oil and Flax oil about 4g of each. Per day. 2g in the morning, and 2g at noon.
Is there a disadvantage from only taking flax? I avoid fish due to nasty fish burps and so forth.

beallio

beallio

Awards
Is there a disadvantage from only taking flax? I avoid fish due to nasty fish burps and so forth.
For me it started because of a Pollequin article and Easy's thread (give credit where credit's due :thumbsup: )

It's my understanding the majority of the benefit is derived from the levels of EPA/DHA (no, I don't have a source at the moment. Hopefully when I have time I can look one up).

However, the consumption of flax in place of fish oil might preclude the antiflammatory effects, and other certain benefits, noticed with the ingestion of the latter.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still wonder whether eating wild atlantic salmon for 2 meals a day would do the trick as well :) its a tasty possible experiment

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
surprisingly, sams club sells frozen salmon at around $6 a lb, so you'd want to eat 8-16oz of it a day, so really not worse than anything else I eat.

Fish, salmon, coho, wild, cooked, dry heat DHA 0.658 EPA 0.401 Total 1.059 per 100g

which is around 3.5 oz. So 14 oz average of salmon a day would give you around 2.5g of DHA and 1.6g of EPA. for $6 plus a decent amount of protein too, adound 80-90g worth for the day

beallio

beallio

Awards
surprisingly, sams club sells frozen salmon at around $6 a lb, so you'd want to eat 8-16oz of it a day, so really not worse than anything else I eat.

Is it wild though?

For those posters looking for verified pure fish oil, Costco Kirkland Signature brand is USP Verified Dietary Supplement which means the purity, potency, and quality of the product has been tested.

beallio

beallio

Awards
Add Fish Oil to Your Workout
By Jeremy Appleton, ND, CNS

Healthnotes Newswire (June 14, 2007)—Fish oil supplements and regular exercise both reduce body fat and improve cardiovascular health. Could combining the two work better than either one alone?

“Only two studies have previously investigated these two interventions in combination,” said Professor Peter R.C. Howe, director of the Nutritional Physiology Research Center, School of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, and supervising author of the new study. But because of the study design it wasn’t clear whether this combined intervention effectively reduced cardiovascular risk and improved body composition in overweight participants.

In the new study, overweight volunteers with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or high triglycerides were randomly assigned to one of the following interventions:

• fish oil,

• fish oil and exercise,

• sunflower oil (placebo), or

• sunflower oil and exercise.

They took 6 grams of tuna fish oil per day (providing 1.9 grams of omega-3 fatty acids) or 6 grams of sunflower oil per day. The exercise groups walked three days per week for 45 minutes at 75% of their maximal heart rate.

People who supplemented with fish oil experienced lowered triglycerides, increased HDL (“good”) cholesterol, and improved blood vessel function. Exercise alone improved some measures of artery health. Both fish oil and exercise independently reduced body fat. Though regular, moderate-intensity exercise, either alone or combined with fish oil supplementation, had no effect on triglycerides or cholesterol, researchers still came away from the study concluding that fish oil plus exercise was a winning combination.

In addition to obesity itself being a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, obese people often have other risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes in a condition known as the metabolic syndrome. So it’s helpful when interventions for obesity target multiple cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors.

Several studies have found that taking omega-3 fatty acids from fish or fish oil results in fewer deaths from coronary artery disease. Supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil may lessen several cardiovascular risk factors, including high blood pressure and triglycerides. In addition, some, but not all, clinical studies show that supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids can reduce body fat.

Most studies find that physical activity alone leads to relatively minor weight loss. While the lost pounds may be few, it is nevertheless clear that physical activity prevents weight gain. But it can take as much as 60 to 90 minutes per day of moderate-intensity physical exercise to maintain body weight in the absence of other interventions, such as diet modification or supplementation. Exercise, with and without weight loss, independently improves several risk factors for cardiovascular disease, including lowering blood pressure, favorably altering cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and improving the function of blood vessels.

“Increasing intake of omega-3 fatty acids could be a useful adjunct to exercise programs,” concludes Professor Howe, “because both therapies improve body composition and decrease cardiovascular disease risk.”

(Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:1267–74)

Medic

Medic

Awards
Its not really how many MG you take a day, its more like how much EPA you get in your system a day. I believe a male whos doing strenuous exercise should get around 2,000mg of EPA a day. thats about 10 fish caps a day for most brands.

OR 1 tablespoon of fish oil in the AM.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
12g/day
Yields:
3.6g EPA
2.4g DHA

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
i just take two caps any time i walk past the bottle. usually ends up being 10-20 caps a day depending on what im doing.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I go through about two bottles of Flameout a month, it's the only Biotest product I use anymore. I also buy whatever clean generic or whatever oil is on sale that I find. I end up taking 25-35 grams a day, but I cut it back to around 5-10 for a couple weeks at a time every once in a while.

Besides the mood thing, one of the first big things I noticed from the mega-dosing was that I stopped bruising. Now, I don't bruise easy, but I started a job where I get pretty beat up, and had a lot of bruises. When I started the next round of mega-dosing, within a week I stopped bruising. The bruising started right back up when I went back down to 5-10 grams a day.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
4-6grams per day for me. What I've noticed is my allergies don't seem to be as bad and my achy shoulder has felt better. My nose was always stuffy, not much anymore. As for the fish burps, I freeze my pills and pop them with food, that seems to do the trick!

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
how are NP bulk caps. does anyone use them? The price is great. I would assume that they are quality like everything else with the NP name.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I take 12g or so a day. I try to get one with good EPA/ DHA ratios as well. I also take 2g of flax for some extra omega.

GotTest

GotTest

Awards
  • Established
Doc Houser has a GREAT write up at LB.
Look under "Ask Dr Houser" then "Articles: Sticky-Fatty Acid Recommendations."

jpb8200

jpb8200

Awards
If i want to up my dose from 4 to 6 a day, would yall suggest 3x2 or 2x3 or does it not matter? all would be with food.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
If i want to up my dose from 4 to 6 a day, would yall suggest 3x2 or 2x3 or does it not matter? all would be with food.
Doubt it matters much at all, don't sweat it. Might as well spread it out as much as possible, if it works for your schedule. I just take the stuff when I remember. Sometimes it's 2-3 with breakfast, and sometimes ends up ten or so with dinner, if I need to catch up at the end of the day. Honestly I doubt that you'd ever notice any difference at all taking all six at once or spreading them out.

DIALEDIN

DIALEDIN

Awards
How much to take depends on a few thinghs - are you gaining mass or losing fat? Are you sensitive to fats or more sensitive to carbs. These will determine the mix of fats, carbs, and protein in your diet as a % of your total calorie intake. So it is somewhere between 10% and 30% of your total carb intake - that depends on you goals and how much you weigh to begin with. I use flax oil myself, and at 200 lbs, in a muscle gain diet I take about 3 tbs a day, with meals closer to the evening so I do not get crevings for bad fats. that is about 30grams or 300 calories. And close to 10% of my intake in total.

Medic

Medic

Awards
I would only buy wild salmon in a frozen bag at costco or similiar. I watched a report on the news and I think 8 out of 10 places sold farm raised salmon and labled it as "wild" for DOUBLE the price.... Even specialty stores.