What are some strong supplements that significantly increase glucose levels in brain?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.41%

What are some strong supplements that significantly increase glucose levels in brain?

in the brain*?

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

May I ask what this accomplishes? Sounds interesting...
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Anything that increases Glut-1 activity- glucose is preferentially stored in brain first b/c of this m.o.a.....Glut-1 receptors are thought to form the blood/brain barrier

J. Biol. Chem., Vol. 265, Issue 29, 18035-18040, 10, 1990

Brain-type glucose transporter (GLUT-1) is selectively localized to the blood-brain barrier. Studies with quantitative western blotting and in situ hybridization

WM Pardridge, RJ Boado and CR Farrell
    Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine 90024.

The hypothesis that the GLUT-1 glucose transporter isoform is expressed selectively in brain at the capillary endothelium, i.e. the blood-brain barrier (BBB), was tested by using quantitative Western blotting, cytochalasin B binding, and in situ hybridization in bovine brain cortex. Purified human red cell glucose transporter was used as the standard for quantitative Western blots, because the mobility of the human erythrocyte and BBB glucose transporters in electrophoretic gels was identical. The concentration of immunoreactive glucose transporter in bovine BBB plasma membranes was 10.8 +/- 0.9 pmol/mgp (mean +/- S.E., n = 6). This value was not statistically different from the estimate of the maximal binding sites of D-glucose-displaceable [3H]cytochalasin B binding in the BBB membrane preparations, 11.7 +/- 3.5 pmol/mgp. In situ hybridization experiments using 35S-labeled antisense and sense riboprobes corresponding to nucleotides 385-932 of the GLUT-1 cDNA showed prominent hybridization of the antisense probe over brain microvascular endothelium, but no hybridization over neuropil greater than that found with the 35S-labeled sense probe. These studies are consistent with the following conclusion: (a) essentially 100% of the glucose transporter binding sites at the BBB can be accounted for by the GLUT-1 isoform; (b) in situ hybridization studies confirm previous Northern blot analysis and indicate the GLUT-1 gene is expressed selectively in microvascular endothelium in brain with minimal, if any, expression of this gene in neurons or glial cells in vivo.
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.41%

Quote Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    Anything that increases Glut-1 activity- glucose is preferentially stored in brain first b/c of this m.o.a.....Glut-1 receptors are thought to form the blood/brain barrier

J. Biol. Chem., Vol. 265, Issue 29, 18035-18040, 10, 1990

Brain-type glucose transporter (GLUT-1) is selectively localized to the blood-brain barrier. Studies with quantitative western blotting and in situ hybridization

WM Pardridge, RJ Boado and CR Farrell
    Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine 90024.

The hypothesis that the GLUT-1 glucose transporter isoform is expressed selectively in brain at the capillary endothelium, i.e. the blood-brain barrier (BBB), was tested by using quantitative Western blotting, cytochalasin B binding, and in situ hybridization in bovine brain cortex. Purified human red cell glucose transporter was used as the standard for quantitative Western blots, because the mobility of the human erythrocyte and BBB glucose transporters in electrophoretic gels was identical. The concentration of immunoreactive glucose transporter in bovine BBB plasma membranes was 10.8 +/- 0.9 pmol/mgp (mean +/- S.E., n = 6). This value was not statistically different from the estimate of the maximal binding sites of D-glucose-displaceable [3H]cytochalasin B binding in the BBB membrane preparations, 11.7 +/- 3.5 pmol/mgp. In situ hybridization experiments using 35S-labeled antisense and sense riboprobes corresponding to nucleotides 385-932 of the GLUT-1 cDNA showed prominent hybridization of the antisense probe over brain microvascular endothelium, but no hybridization over neuropil greater than that found with the 35S-labeled sense probe. These studies are consistent with the following conclusion: (a) essentially 100% of the glucose transporter binding sites at the BBB can be accounted for by the GLUT-1 isoform; (b) in situ hybridization studies confirm previous Northern blot analysis and indicate the GLUT-1 gene is expressed selectively in microvascular endothelium in brain with minimal, if any, expression of this gene in neurons or glial cells in vivo.
    Great post! This is exactly the kind of stuff that im looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    May I ask what this accomplishes? Sounds interesting...
    Ill explain when I get back from work, no time right now!
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Glucaronactolone..stuff makes me as hyper as a kid on Candy Corn.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Glucaronactolone..stuff makes me as hyper as a kid on Candy Corn.
    Isn't that stuff toxic as all hell? I remember reading some nasty stuff about it.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.24%

I'm not sure of anything but it'd be interesting to try it when studying for tests and before tests to improve cognitive ability. Maybe you wouldn't get brain burn out at the end of a 3 hr calculus exam(1st year engineering suuuucks haha).
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    Isn't that stuff toxic as all hell? I remember reading some nasty stuff about it.
    Not that i know of..I think you are thinking of glycociamine.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What are some non methyls that good w/hdrol
    By UnderXero in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 04:07 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
  3. what are some foods that contain casein?
    By GetDatFool in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 12:53 AM