HMB Dosages; What's effective?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do any of you guys take HMB? What dosages have you found to be effective? I'm looking into trying this stuff out. Most people that take it seem to really love the stuff. I was thinking of doing an HMB/Powerfull/Formestane/DHEA/CEE stack.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do any of you guys take HMB? What dosages have you found to be effective? I'm looking into trying this stuff out. Most people that take it seem to really love the stuff. I was thinking of doing an HMB/Powerfull/Formestane/DHEA/CEE stack.
About a minimum of 3gr of HMß per day. Here is why:
As you know, HMß (Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate) is an L-Leucine derivative, that, like BCAAs, minimizes training or stress-induced catabolism, improves VO2-Max, and aids in fat metabolism. It is highly recommended to take it with creatine supplements, as it reduces the depletion of creatine phosphate, just like Rhodiola and co.
Only about 3% - 5% of the consumed L-Leucine is metabolized to HMß. This implies that the recommended minimum of 3gr per day would correspond to a minimum ingestion of 60gr - 100gr of L-Leucine! L-Leucine is a more versatile compound than HMß, so HMß cannot replace L-Leucine, but can dramatically boost the effects of L-Leucine.
HMß has a half-life of about two hours. This means it is best to take it in its 100% pure liquid form. Timing should be before or during training. It can also be taken as time-released Calcium-HMß capsules (in this case you would need about 3.75gr to obtain 3.0gr of HMß). By hardly any other supplement is the effect so dependent on the form (capsule, tablet, powder) of ingestion. The wrong form would deliver next to no results. The right form will make it one of the most effective supplements of all! HMß can help develop about 5% - 10% more lean mass per year!

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have never seen HMB liquid available.....where do you get it?

Are you saying bulk powder is not effective?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was going to say 5g per day has received more positive user feedback.

Sevename

Awards
The bulk powder is effective up in the 9-10g/day range, split into 3 doses. Pre-WO, post-WO and before bed taken with 3-5g of creatine mono and protein. Its effective if you're cutting or bulking, you have to stick with it for a few months. You won't see huge results in 30 days like you will with AAS or PH/PS. But its safe, you can gain pounds of muscle over the course of a year and your gains will last when you quit taking it. If you buy it by the kilo you could even argue that its probably one of the more cost effective sups for real lasting gains. There is probably more research on HMB and creatine mono together than any other two sups out there.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to give this stuff a try. Thanks for the advice.

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
5 grams a day works great for me. I have been back on HMB for the last 4 months after I seen Nutraplanet had some bulk powder at a decent price.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lots of follwo up questions I have as i finally get a little time to post

1) has anyone seen liquid HMB??

2) For those of you that buy the powder how do you use it (other than capping) it tastes terrible but worse is that its not water soluble so its a mess

3) does anyone sell the hmb /calcium combo? is that a form of them bonded together or simply calcium and hmb mixed?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
HMB is hydroxy-beta-methylbutanoic acid, and is a liquid at room temperature. The calcium is bonded to the carboxylate group to make it a water soluble salt. The addition of the calcium will slow the formation of the free HMB ion. I would also imagine most companies mix with dicalcium phosphate to slower the release of the HMB salt into your system. So to answer your question, yes to both.

I bought NP's HMB powder a while back, and mixed with grape kool-aide. Never had any issues. Where have you reached the conclusion that it's not water soluble? This is a short enough carboxylate chain that it will dissolve quite easily in water. If anything, mix with orange juice, the acidity will speed up the dissolution of the HMB powder.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Sinner's right - 5 grams seems to be best.

PLENTY of feedback on HMB on this very board - if you search.

HMB is VERY synergistic with creatine - Bobo posted the studies a few years ago. Look for those.

Pretty sure it's an ionic bond between Ca and HMB.
NP sells CaHMB powder.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah - I've never had mixing issues with HMB. It's fluffy - does take a bit more water to dissolve all of it. But - I can get it all into solution without odd tricks.

I also use Crystal Light - taste isn't bad. But - maybe that's because I've taken garbage like Yellow Gold and un-flavored BCAA's before (yuck).

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love how people complain about BCAAs. I've definitely eaten them straight out of the tub on numerous occasions. Although, it's a lot less bitter when it hasn't dissolved in water yet.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love how people complain about BCAAs. I've definitely eaten them straight out of the tub on numerous occasions. Although, it's a lot less bitter when it hasn't dissolved in water yet.
same here, IMO they dont taste bad at all, i jujust scoop em straight in my mouth

I think they taste WAAY worse when you try to mix it with water (unless you hide the taste with crystal lite or something)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I've not tried un-flavored BCAA's dry. Only in water/crystal light.

Yellow Gold is still teh wurst.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you guys do it? When I try it suckd up all the moisture in my mouth?

Back on tpoic. I was useing 5gr HMB for a while and it ran thru me :dump: I should have slowly workd up my dose
For BCAA's, throw a few tsp's in your mouth, wash down with a few sips of water.

How were you dosing HMB? I would say take 1-2 grams at a time, and take with food. This is a carboxylic acid, and it's to the point where it's starting to lose water solubility. If it gets longer, it's considered a fatty acid, and fatty acids (oils) will go through you if taken on an empty stomach. If you don't believe me, grab a bottle of canola oil, sit yourself down on the toilet in "taking a dump" position, and start drink away. It won't be long now.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find taking unflavoured BCAAs, with or without water, needs a lot of getting used to. I prefer flavoured BCAAs (Black Cherry) any day. And I always take additional L-Leucine to address the L-Leucine-to-HMß metabolism.

Regarding HMß, 3.5gr or 5gr really depends on the individual. None of these recommendations is cast in stone. See what works for you.
Reducing the dose might help, if one has any absorption problems with it. I would prefer this option (per-dosage reduction) to the other suggested option of taking it with food.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For BCAA's, throw a few tsp's in your mouth, wash down with a few sips of water.

How were you dosing HMB? I would say take 1-2 grams at a time, and take with food. This is a carboxylic acid, and it's to the point where it's starting to lose water solubility. If it gets longer, it's considered a fatty acid, and fatty acids (oils) will go through you if taken on an empty stomach. If you don't believe me, grab a bottle of canola oil, sit yourself down on the toilet in "taking a dump" position, and start drink away. It won't be long now.
Yea i was doing 2.5gr pre & Post workout on an empty stomach with my creatine and stuff like that. Not with my meals.

I'll try and give the BCAA's another shot. For the last 2 days I've been takin Yellow Gold uncapped just shooting it, you know to toughin up those taste buds,lol.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a few hundred grams of HMB powder sitting around from CNW. I will have to revisit it disolving. As I recall I had problems but its been awhile since I used it.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yelling always helps with any situation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 49