liver function o.O?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I just got a call from my doctor and they told me that my liver's not functioning properly after a blood test.. I was wondering if any supplements may have caused this as they advised me to stop taking things for a month to see if what I was taking was the problem. I have never been on AAS or any type of PH's before. I wonder what could have caused this type of problem as I might have to discontinue any supplement use for a month.

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I just got a call from my doctor and they told me that my liver's not functioning properly after a blood test.. I was wondering if any supplements may have caused this as they advised me to stop taking things for a month to see if what I was taking was the problem. I have never been on anabolic steroids or any type of PH's before. I wonder what could have caused this type of problem as I might have to discontinue any supplement use for a month.
Sorry to hear, I hope it is not from a tainted supp that you have been using.
Some insight may be given, if you offer a list of the supps you are currently running?

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Besides the C Labs stuff - what else are you taking? OTC and pres. too?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
dextrose (used with PWO shake)
nature's best whey (PWO shake only)
green magnitude
white flood
x-lean

They also said that i have high cholesterol.

Any insight to what might be causing this? I might put a stop on all supplements for a month to get tested agian. All except for my protien that is.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear that bro. Ask the Dr for bloodwork. If you had it done and thats why hes getting back @ you to tell you that tell him to give you the results. DOnt freak out.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Causing what? What tests results are abnormal and what where the test results?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
A little ambiguous, no?
sorry, actually I got home and my mom explained it to me. Some as far as details go Im not too sure. I could probably understand the high cholesterol as i could clean up my diet even more, but as far as the liver thing maybe I should contact my doctor.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
dextrose (used with PWO shake)
nature's best whey (PWO shake only)
green magnitude
white flood
x-lean

They also said that i have high cholesterol.

Any insight to what might be causing this? I might put a stop on all supplements for a month to get tested agian. All except for my protien that is.
maybe he said that cause of the high cholesterol.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear that bro. Ask the Dr for bloodwork. If you had it done and thats why hes getting back @ you to tell you that tell him to give you the results. DOnt freak out.
will do. I should probably contact the doctor tomorrow.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are many variables that can effect AST/ALT results. Ironically, one is exercise.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
There are many variables that can effect AST/ALT results. Ironically, one is exercise.
my friend just said the same thing. Can anyone help me find an article stating this? My friend read an article somewhere about inflammation to the liver due to working out. Has anyone read about this anywhere?

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
Excess protein, vitamins, etc can effect the liver

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
How much protein do you eat?
it varies. I dont keep shakes around the house as Im allergic to most whey type products. muscle milk and such and more. Probably 200 grams in whole foods per day.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Excess protein, vitamins, etc can effect the liver
is that a good or bad thing? I was wondering what was wrong with me until I was explained about inflamation to the liver.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
how old are you cellar dude? And you have never run an anabolic? and how long have you been taking x-lean? and does your color appear jaundice (yellow)? sorry for so many questions. Good news is if you lay off everything for a while, your liver function should return to a normal baseline, this sort of thing is sort of reversible, usually (unless its somekind of underlaying condition unrelated to supp. intake).

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i usually get a test after a couple days of not training. also drop the excess protien during that time. If i don't my AST/ALT register higher.

Also you don't know the results from the test yet. i wouldn't call the information you have at this point as results.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
i usually get a test after a couple days of not training. also drop the excess protien during that time. If i don't my AST/ALT register higher.

Also you don't know the results from the test yet. i wouldn't call the information you have at this point as results.
true. Ill call the clinic tomorrow morning. Ill get them to fax the results over to me.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
liver values high and chol high? at your age sounds like fast foods. Kind of weird a doctor calls to say your liver isnt functioning properly and doesnt schedule some other tests, maybe an ultrasound or something.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
how old are you cellar dude? And you have never run an anabolic? and how long have you been taking x-lean? and does your color appear jaundice (yellow)? sorry for so many questions. Good news is if you lay off everything for a while, your liver function should return to a normal baseline, this sort of thing is sort of reversible, usually (unless its somekind of underlaying condition unrelated to supp. intake).

never ran any type of anabolic. Im one protien and creatine. the most i would ever go are "fun" supplements such as anabolic pump and have never really ran full bottles of any supplements of that type. I always stop in the middle. My piss is normal colored. If i consume too much water it's clear as water and its lightish yellowish if not. If i take my vitimin which is like vegetarian friendly It makes me piss a heavy yellow no matter how much water ive taken in. I dont want to take a step backwards after all that hard work. I really dont think my doctors know exactly what their talking about. their just regular doctors meant for regular check ups. I doubt they would know my situation.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
liver values high and chol high? at your age sounds like fast foods. Kind of weird a doctor calls to say your liver isnt functioning properly and doesnt schedule some other tests, maybe an ultrasound or something.
high chol is partly my fault/genetics. my dads side of the family has high cholostorol. I never had it before cause I was like 150 pounds. I started eatting eggs and sometimes I would throw in 3 egg yolks. Sometimes a 4th egg yolk might fall in and im too lazy to scoop it out with my hands. In addition meats can also lead to high chol. I dont have any protien shakes lying around the house as I do seem to get somewhat of an allergic reaction to them. I eat clean but sometimes due to my college life status. I get meats that I probably shouldnt be eatting ( could be a lot cleaner and less fatty)

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
they don't usually do that unless it remains high for a very long time and no diet or supp changes have done anything.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Wow. Hope you get correct Cell...
thanks man! It's great that im getting all these responses. I too hope that theres nothing wrong with me. I guess Ill have to put a halt to my supplements until the doctors are proven wrong. That way I myself can prove that controlled lab products are safe:thumbsup:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I THINK what they are saying is you should stop working out for 3 days before having your blood draw done. Not that working out could do this.

As you say you are getting this info 2nd hand so best to call the Dr and get the ACTUAL numbers not just something is wrong.

Do you drink?

Do your parents have high cholesterol?

Just some ideas.

CROWLER

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I THINK what they are saying is you should stop working out for 3 days before having your blood draw done. Not that working out could do this.

As you say you are getting this info 2nd hand so best to call the Dr and get the ACTUAL numbers not just something is wrong.

Do you drink?

Do your parents have high cholesterol?

Just some ideas.

CROWLER
If I stop working out before the blood test, My parents will blame the supplements and in result cause them to throw out everything I have. Ill stop supplementation but continue working out and I will narrow it down from there. I will get the test results 1st hand myself tomorrow. My parents dont know what their talking about either. It was hard enough for my mom to explain "my problem"

I dont drink.

My dads side of the family and every male on my dads side has high cholesterol. It's genetics.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
they don't usually do that unless it remains high for a very long time and no diet or supp changes have done anything.

Well I know when my values were high they scheduled me for a ultrasound. I mean a doctor doesnt call up and say hey your liver onst functioning properly concerning someone young and then hang up.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Well I know when my values were high they scheduled me for a ultrasound. I mean a doctor doesnt call up and say hey you liver onst functioning properly concerning someone young and then hang up.
im scheduled for another blood test in a month. I think I need a talk with my doctor. Ill probably cut off supps for the month and continue to workout. If I suddently cut off my supplements and then my liver values return to normal then everyone will jump to conclusions that its the supplements. Ill prove them wrong. :thumbsup:

flyingbeef

Awards
Hey Cellulardude at least take it serious enough to find out whats going on. My son was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis and a Liver disease at age 13. he's 16 now and gets tested every 8 weeks with complete blood tests. He has had every test imaginable. Please dont take it that this will be your problem by no means but just at least find out what the problem is and believe that alternative meds etc.... may help as well.Im sure you'll be fine though. I'll be monitoring your progress

Iron.Addict

Iron.Addict

Awards
  • Established
Some of your supplements may be raising AST/ALT levels also showing a negative result on your blood work.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
If I stop working out before the blood test, My parents will blame the supplements and in result cause them to throw out everything I have. Ill stop supplementation but continue working out and I will narrow it down from there. I will get the test results 1st hand myself tomorrow. My parents dont know what their talking about either. It was hard enough for my mom to explain "my problem"

I dont drink.

My dads side of the family and every male on my dads side has high cholesterol. It's genetics.
You mean your parents would know if you didn't workout for 3 days?

This could VERY well be what is throwing your test results off.

CROWLER

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I had blood drawn close to 1 year ago b/c I was extremely sick. My liver values were about 500% higher than a normal person's. Later on I found out that I had mono which causes abnormally high liver values.

It took them about 2 damn months to come down.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
never ran any type of anabolic. Im one protien and creatine. the most i would ever go are "fun" supplements such as anabolic pump and have never really ran full bottles of any supplements of that type. I always stop in the middle. My piss is normal colored. If i consume too much water it's clear as water and its lightish yellowish if not. If i take my vitimin which is like vegetarian friendly It makes me piss a heavy yellow no matter how much water ive taken in. I dont want to take a step backwards after all that hard work. I really dont think my doctors know exactly what their talking about. their just regular doctors meant for regular check ups. I doubt they would know my situation.[/QUOTE

I mean skin color. lol

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
never ran any type of anabolic. Im one protien and creatine. the most i would ever go are "fun" supplements such as anabolic pump and have never really ran full bottles of any supplements of that type. I always stop in the middle. My piss is normal colored. If i consume too much water it's clear as water and its lightish yellowish if not. If i take my vitimin which is like vegetarian friendly It makes me piss a heavy yellow no matter how much water ive taken in. I dont want to take a step backwards after all that hard work. I really dont think my doctors know exactly what their talking about. their just regular doctors meant for regular check ups. I doubt they would know my situation.[/QUOTE

I mean skin color. lol
haha. sorry for the misunderstanding. Im asian so yeah. check out my last page of the logs. I dont think my skin color has changed in any way.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
When your urine looks like that extreme highlighter yellow it is from the Vitamin-B that your body does not need. I think just about every supplement out there has vitamin-b in it and that is the reason for really really yellow urine.

If your urine is brownish.....mine sometimes is, it is due to DIM, if that is in the product you are taking.

Your urine in general should be pale/clear assuming you are not taking any supplements. If your urine looks extremely yellow and your not taking a single thing, then that means you probably are slightly dehydrated.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
When your urine looks like that extreme highlighter yellow it is from the Vitamin-B that your body does not need. I think just about every supplement out there has vitamin-b in it and that is the reason for really really yellow urine.

If your urine is brownish.....mine sometimes is, it is due to DIM, if that is in the product you are taking.

Your urine in general should be pale/clear assuming you are not taking any supplements. If your urine looks extremely yellow and your not taking a single thing, then that means you probably are slightly dehydrated.
agreed 100%. My multi vit has a high trace of vit-b. I pee like a close to green but still really dark yellow. thanks for the verification reap :thumbsup:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
It's funny I had this too:

High Chol

Liver values abnormal > 41

etc

They said it looked like I drank frequently when I don't etc I believe it to be from not enough water and too much protein. Chol from too much bacon n eggs baby :D

For your liver: Milk Thistle Buy 1 get 1 freeee baby yeah!

Much Love,

Neoborn

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
haha. Like neoborn said. Too much eggs with yolk in it. Gonna cut out all egg yolks for the month. I have never done AAS before and you can tell by my puny figure. Anyway Ill keep you guys posted. At this rate I want to continue supplement use as I don't think that regular supplements such as creatine can cause any abnormal readings to the liver.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
1. Niacin

2. Milk Thistle

3. Cut down on Saturated fat

4. Drink more water

5. HIIT Cardio 3 x or more a week.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
less sugar ..if you are consuming any. Fatty liver disease in this country appears to be brought on by a barrage of high sugar/high fat diets soaked in trans fats.

I read somewhere that 28% of Americans currently have FLD all due to poor diet.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
less sugar ..if you are consuming any. Fatty liver disease in this country appears to be brought on by a barrage of high sugar/high fat diets soaked in trans fats.

I read somewhere that 28% of Americans currently have FLD all due to poor diet.

no sugar consumption besides that of PWO shake with dextrose.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
fast foods like macdonalds can affect the liver and too much of the A,D,K,E vitamins can cause liver probs.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You'd really have to go insane with fat soluble vitamins to end up with liver damage. Based on case reports, you'd be sicker than a dog well before that occurred.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi Cellardude,
Hope you get back to normal soon. I personally find it useful to take a set of supplements to strengthen and repair the liver from time to time. Luckily, our liver is so resilient that it can repair itself, even in cases where it is damaged by more than 50%! Yet, a good dose of SAMe and Silibinin from time to time, as you know, can help support our liver in its endless stress. Here is a reminder:

1) SAMe or S-adenosylmethionine. The "liver's super-nutrient" with a key role in liver biochemistry and the most powerful compound for liver protection known to science. It is so potent that it can even reverse the damaging effects of chemicals and alcohol on the liver as they occur. SAMe is one of the most important nutrients in the liver. This is because the liver contains the third highest amount of SAMe in the body after the adrenal and pineal glands.

SAMe executes at least two crucial functions: methylation and trans-sulfuration.
Methylation is the contribution of methyl groups to activate certain molecules. Trans-sulfuration involves the synthesis of cysteine, glutathione, and otehr sulfate chemicals.
As a matter of fact, SAMe performs a third function: The synthesis of polyamines for cell growth, gene expression, and neuronal regeneration.

One result of trans-sulfuration is a transformation into glutathione, the liver's most powerful natural antioxidant.

Furthermore, SAMe promotes healthy methylation enzymatic processes, boosting hepatic levels of glutathione. Glutathione is depleted when liver function is compromised, leading to free radical damage. Beyond this, SAMe acts as a methyl donor in the synthesis and formation of phosphatidylcholine and L-cysteine, necessary nutrients for maintaining liver health.

2) Silibinin
Silibinin, also known as silybin, is the most biologically active compound in silymarin, an extract derived from the herb milk thistle. Silymarin and its main active ingredient, silibinin, help prevent toxic liver damage.
Silymarin and silibinin can help speed up liver regeneration, even after the liver has been damaged by toxic substances. Silymarin and silibinin accelerate the rate of protein synthesis in the liver, producing faster cell regeneration.