Supplementing While Sick

ticktwo

Awards
Simple enough question:

Do you continue your supplements when you are sick?

I was just bit by the Summer bug on Monday afternoon. I end up dropping all but the most basic supplements such as multivitamins and protein powder if I can stomach it. When I am sick (not sniffles or general aches, I am talking about the unable to breath, colored crud from your nose, dripping in your chest, unable to sleep well variety) I do not eat anywhere near my typical diet, currently I have not eaten anything since Monday at 2pm, and do not exercise on schedule, I made Monday but skipped yesterday and will most likely skip today. It makes sense to me to not take the additional supps since I am not feeding the body or exercising to make use of it.

What do you do when you get sick?

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
i take a sh!t load of glutamine and vitamin c also i use Tom Mannos enzyme because it greatly enhances your bodies white blood cell count.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
I just recovered from a brutal 24 hour flu bug. I couldn't stomach much of anything and even water made me want to puke. I basically ate ice chips all day yesterday. I was dehydrated as h*ll. No supps really. I finally got a bowl of cereal and a protein shake in me last night, but I dropped 3 pounds of water weight in a day and a half. And now I'm trying to figure out how best to get back on track for my workouts.

So, for a flu-like illness, I can't take any supplements at all. Maybe that's just me, but if anything I ingest is barely slowing down long enough to wave hello to my stomach, then what's the point? :dump: Once I was able to keep down some solids last night, I popped a multi-v.

As for other cold-like illnesses, I typically keep supps the same and mega-dose vitamin c. I also like astragalus root as an immune system booster.

ticktwo

Awards
I had the same thought pattern as to why it might be a waste to continue on the sups.

I will look into your suggestion of astragalus root as I have not heard of that one before.

Thanks,

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I would probably take as little as possible.. and load up on vit C, water etc and rest until you are better

DMac

DMac

Awards
Simple enough question:

Do you continue your supplements when you are sick?

I was just bit by the Summer bug on Monday afternoon. I end up dropping all but the most basic supplements such as multivitamins and protein powder if I can stomach it. When I am sick (not sniffles or general aches, I am talking about the unable to breath, colored crud from your nose, dripping in your chest, unable to sleep well variety) I do not eat anywhere near my typical diet, currently I have not eaten anything since Monday at 2pm, and do not exercise on schedule, I made Monday but skipped yesterday and will most likely skip today. It makes sense to me to not take the additional supps since I am not feeding the body or exercising to make use of it.

What do you do when you get sick?
I always do Airborne, Vitamin C, and ****aki mushrooms at first hint of sickness. Continuing supps depends on the supp, I wouldn't continue any fat burners or creatine, I would continue any hormone supplements your on to help keep you from crashing.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would concentrate on a good multivitamin product with alpha lipoic acid (to recharge vitamins C and E), echinacea, additional zinc (not more than 60mg per day), and a huge dose of vitamin C (upwards of 5gr spread throughout the day). Not to forget Beta-1, 3-Glucan, the most powerful immune-system enhancer known to science.