Supplementing While Sick

1. Registered User
    Answers

Supplementing While Sick

Simple enough question:

Do you continue your supplements when you are sick?

I was just bit by the Summer bug on Monday afternoon. I end up dropping all but the most basic supplements such as multivitamins and protein powder if I can stomach it. When I am sick (not sniffles or general aches, I am talking about the unable to breath, colored crud from your nose, dripping in your chest, unable to sleep well variety) I do not eat anywhere near my typical diet, currently I have not eaten anything since Monday at 2pm, and do not exercise on schedule, I made Monday but skipped yesterday and will most likely skip today. It makes sense to me to not take the additional supps since I am not feeding the body or exercising to make use of it.

What do you do when you get sick?

2. Oldtimer
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

i take a sh!t load of glutamine and vitamin c also i use Tom Mannos enzyme because it greatly enhances your bodies white blood cell count.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Answers

I just recovered from a brutal 24 hour flu bug. I couldn't stomach much of anything and even water made me want to puke. I basically ate ice chips all day yesterday. I was dehydrated as h*ll. No supps really. I finally got a bowl of cereal and a protein shake in me last night, but I dropped 3 pounds of water weight in a day and a half. And now I'm trying to figure out how best to get back on track for my workouts.

So, for a flu-like illness, I can't take any supplements at all. Maybe that's just me, but if anything I ingest is barely slowing down long enough to wave hello to my stomach, then what's the point? Once I was able to keep down some solids last night, I popped a multi-v.

As for other cold-like illnesses, I typically keep supps the same and mega-dose vitamin c. I also like astragalus root as an immune system booster.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

I had the same thought pattern as to why it might be a waste to continue on the sups.

I will look into your suggestion of astragalus root as I have not heard of that one before.

Thanks,
  5. Registered User
    Answers

I would probably take as little as possible.. and load up on vit C, water etc and rest until you are better
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ticktwo View Post
    Simple enough question:

Do you continue your supplements when you are sick?

I was just bit by the Summer bug on Monday afternoon. I end up dropping all but the most basic supplements such as multivitamins and protein powder if I can stomach it. When I am sick (not sniffles or general aches, I am talking about the unable to breath, colored crud from your nose, dripping in your chest, unable to sleep well variety) I do not eat anywhere near my typical diet, currently I have not eaten anything since Monday at 2pm, and do not exercise on schedule, I made Monday but skipped yesterday and will most likely skip today. It makes sense to me to not take the additional supps since I am not feeding the body or exercising to make use of it.

What do you do when you get sick?
    I always do Airborne, Vitamin C, and ****aki mushrooms at first hint of sickness. Continuing supps depends on the supp, I wouldn't continue any fat burners or creatine, I would continue any hormone supplements your on to help keep you from crashing.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

I would concentrate on a good multivitamin product with alpha lipoic acid (to recharge vitamins C and E), echinacea, additional zinc (not more than 60mg per day), and a huge dose of vitamin C (upwards of 5gr spread throughout the day). Not to forget Beta-1, 3-Glucan, the most powerful immune-system enhancer known to science.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Support supplements while on cycle??
    By Lethal in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
  2. Supplements while on Test???
    By Lethal in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM
  3. anti-aromatase supplements while on cycle
    By focused13 in forum Anabolics