Differences in Whey quality Vs Cost

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.67%

Differences in Whey quality Vs Cost

I know ON has went up on Protein powder. Do you guys think if I picked up some Bodyfortress Whey protein at Wal-mart for $28 for 5lbs it would be worth the savings? Or do you think I'm better off spending a little more money going with ON???

2. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Is the BF 100% whey?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.67%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Is the BF 100% whey?
    Yes it's 100% Whey protein. It's Concentrate though if that matters.
    •   

4. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Sulsuknjrk View Post
    Yes it's 100% Whey protein. It's Concentrate though if that matters.
    regular ON is whey concentrate. As long as you are not lactose intolerant, the price for 5 pounds seems VERY reasonable.

Vitamine Shoppe also had a house brand that is pretty cheap, and tastes pretty close to ON.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

sams and costco have big bags of protein for ~20-$25. pretty sure they're 5 lbs. i think they are EAS 100% whey
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by sfearl1 View Post
    sams and costco have big bags of protein for ~20-$25. pretty sure they're 5 lbs. i think they are EAS 100% whey
    EAS gives me TERRIBLE gas. Beware. ATW has a decent product, but very poor service. True protein is a must visit.
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Correct me, if I am wrong, but independent of manufacturer, isn't ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein superior to concentrates? I understand ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein is even comparable to hydrolyzed or free amino acids, in terms of its bioavailability (the constituent amino acids appear intact in the blood stream about 15 minutes after ingestion).
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Correct me, if I am wrong, but independent of manufacturer, isn't ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein superior to concentrates? I understand ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein is even comparable to hydrolyzed or free amino acids, in terms of its bioavailability (the constituent amino acids appear intact in the blood stream about 15 minutes after ingestion).
    It is, but if you compare price/effectiveness, concentrate does the job very well.

And faster doesn't always mean better. This is still something arguable, but I am a beleiver in casein and slower released proteins for an extended and more constant delivery of amino acids.
  9. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jjohn;
    It is, but if you compare price/effectiveness, concentrate does the job very well.

And faster doesn't always mean better. This is still something arguable, but I am a beleiver in casein and slower released proteins for an extended and more constant delivery of amino acids.
    "Faster" and the relatively high amounts of BCAAs contained in whey protein are some of the reasons whey is the preferred post-workout protein, to take advantage of the so-called "anabolic window". When it comes to whey, faster must be better. I fail to see the advantage of a slow whey protein. Other protein sources take care of the slowness. Slow protein sources have the advantage, like you mentioned, that they ensure a sustained delivery of anabolic building blocks over a longer time span. By the way, when it comes to the question of my ideal protein source, I would go for a combination of fast (whey) and slow (casein, egg, soy) proteins.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.67%

I know Isolate Protein and the different forms of it are superior quality over Concentrate. I'm just thinking concentrate whey protein will probably do the same thing for cheaper.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.67%

I know Isolate Protein and the different forms of it are superior quality over Concentrate. I'm just thinking concentrate whey protein will probably do the same thing for cheaper.
  12. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.17%

In my experince (both practical and research based) isolates are only nominally better than concentrates from a muscle synthysis point of view. The do break down better and are easier on the stomach. For the cost I usually lean towards concentrates.

However, most concentrates have 10% isolate in them to help them mix better. Look at the ingredients, if it just says protien concentrate and no where says whey isolate, I wouldn't buy it. The pure concentrates that I've used do not break down at all in a shaker.
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%

Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000;
    ..Look at the ingredients, if it just says protien concentrate and no where says whey isolate, I wouldn't buy it. The pure concentrates that I've used do not break down at all in a shaker.
    Agree! One would need a fork and knife to sort out the "shake"...
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.2%

it was kind of funny when i bought ON 100% whey protein about a month ago, i got it in the mail, and the price sticker on the top of the jug said $29.99. now i bought this for round $40 at nutraplanet.com. i wonder what the price difference came from?
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Sulsuknjrk View Post
    I know ON has went up on Protein powder. Do you guys think if I picked up some Bodyfortress Whey protein at Wal-mart for $28 for 5lbs it would be worth the savings? Or do you think I'm better off spending a little more money going with ON???
    IMO, Whey Concentrate is Whey Concentrate. I always look at other factors such as sweetners, scoop size, weight, price, protein amount per scoop, etc.

I prefer Whey Isolate to Concentrate simply because of the extremely miniscule amount of lactose, which gives me gas, and the higher amount of protein at a smaller scoop size. I usually add 25-30 grams of Whey Isolate, with my milk and yogart to my shake and I find that the my 10lb Isolate tub usually last longer than using a 10 lb tub of Concentrate, when adding the same amount of protein.

I have recently been adding Milk Protein Isolate and Concentrate, known for being high in Casein, so that I have both fast and slow digesting proteins in my system.

I'm having problems right know finding a great tasting protein without Aspartame and Sucralose.
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

is the amount of lactose printed on the bag??

Similar Forum Threads

1. Difference between an all in one product vs individual?
    By skotchi in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
  3. Difference in weight: Morning vs. Night?
    By mustangman in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 02:01 AM
  4. differences in aminos of whey?
    By Dan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 10:26 AM
  5. Looking different in mirrors
    By Patuba in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 09:59 AM