Differences in Whey quality Vs Cost

Sulsuknjrk

Awards
I know ON has went up on Protein powder. Do you guys think if I picked up some Bodyfortress Whey protein at Wal-mart for $28 for 5lbs it would be worth the savings? Or do you think I'm better off spending a little more money going with ON???

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is the BF 100% whey?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes it's 100% Whey protein. It's Concentrate though if that matters.
regular ON is whey concentrate. As long as you are not lactose intolerant, the price for 5 pounds seems VERY reasonable.

Vitamine Shoppe also had a house brand that is pretty cheap, and tastes pretty close to ON.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
sams and costco have big bags of protein for ~20-$25. pretty sure they're 5 lbs. i think they are EAS 100% whey

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
sams and costco have big bags of protein for ~20-$25. pretty sure they're 5 lbs. i think they are EAS 100% whey
EAS gives me TERRIBLE gas. Beware. ATW has a decent product, but very poor service. True protein is a must visit.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Correct me, if I am wrong, but independent of manufacturer, isn't ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein superior to concentrates? I understand ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein is even comparable to hydrolyzed or free amino acids, in terms of its bioavailability (the constituent amino acids appear intact in the blood stream about 15 minutes after ingestion).

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Correct me, if I am wrong, but independent of manufacturer, isn't ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein superior to concentrates? I understand ion-exchanged and cross-flow filtrated whey protein is even comparable to hydrolyzed or free amino acids, in terms of its bioavailability (the constituent amino acids appear intact in the blood stream about 15 minutes after ingestion).
It is, but if you compare price/effectiveness, concentrate does the job very well.

And faster doesn't always mean better. This is still something arguable, but I am a beleiver in casein and slower released proteins for an extended and more constant delivery of amino acids.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is, but if you compare price/effectiveness, concentrate does the job very well.

And faster doesn't always mean better. This is still something arguable, but I am a beleiver in casein and slower released proteins for an extended and more constant delivery of amino acids.
"Faster" and the relatively high amounts of BCAAs contained in whey protein are some of the reasons whey is the preferred post-workout protein, to take advantage of the so-called "anabolic window". When it comes to whey, faster must be better. I fail to see the advantage of a slow whey protein. Other protein sources take care of the slowness. Slow protein sources have the advantage, like you mentioned, that they ensure a sustained delivery of anabolic building blocks over a longer time span. By the way, when it comes to the question of my ideal protein source, I would go for a combination of fast (whey) and slow (casein, egg, soy) proteins.

Sulsuknjrk

Awards
I know Isolate Protein and the different forms of it are superior quality over Concentrate. I'm just thinking concentrate whey protein will probably do the same thing for cheaper.

Sulsuknjrk

Awards
:duel: I know Isolate Protein and the different forms of it are superior quality over Concentrate. I'm just thinking concentrate whey protein will probably do the same thing for cheaper.:duel:

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
In my experince (both practical and research based) isolates are only nominally better than concentrates from a muscle synthysis point of view. The do break down better and are easier on the stomach. For the cost I usually lean towards concentrates.

However, most concentrates have 10% isolate in them to help them mix better. Look at the ingredients, if it just says protien concentrate and no where says whey isolate, I wouldn't buy it. The pure concentrates that I've used do not break down at all in a shaker.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
..Look at the ingredients, if it just says protien concentrate and no where says whey isolate, I wouldn't buy it. The pure concentrates that I've used do not break down at all in a shaker.
Agree! One would need a fork and knife to sort out the "shake"...

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
it was kind of funny when i bought ON 100% whey protein about a month ago, i got it in the mail, and the price sticker on the top of the jug said $29.99. now i bought this for round $40 at nutraplanet.com. i wonder what the price difference came from?

terminator

terminator

Awards
I know ON has went up on Protein powder. Do you guys think if I picked up some Bodyfortress Whey protein at Wal-mart for $28 for 5lbs it would be worth the savings? Or do you think I'm better off spending a little more money going with ON???
IMO, Whey Concentrate is Whey Concentrate. I always look at other factors such as sweetners, scoop size, weight, price, protein amount per scoop, etc.

I prefer Whey Isolate to Concentrate simply because of the extremely miniscule amount of lactose, which gives me gas, and the higher amount of protein at a smaller scoop size. I usually add 25-30 grams of Whey Isolate, with my milk and yogart to my shake and I find that the my 10lb Isolate tub usually last longer than using a 10 lb tub of Concentrate, when adding the same amount of protein.

I have recently been adding Milk Protein Isolate and Concentrate, known for being high in Casein, so that I have both fast and slow digesting proteins in my system.

I'm having problems right know finding a great tasting protein without Aspartame and Sucralose.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
is the amount of lactose printed on the bag??