IMO, BCAAs are pointless

A

arena

its not worth the cost. why dont u just take a whey protein shake before lifting. this will result in amino acids being avaible within 20 minutes, and will peak in ur blood at 90 minutes i believe

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you tried using BCAAs in the 20-30g range?

M

Mar430

Awards
Have you tried using BCAAs in the 20-30g range?
So you're basically sayin you can go the route of either bcaa at 20g or whey pre-workout? but why would you insist bcaa over whey?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like BCAAs because they not only help to reduce catabolism, but they are extremely vital to anabolism. Whey is a preferred protein because of its high BCAA content and its fast digestion. However, free-form BCAAs and peptide bound BCAAs have completely different reactions within the body. I much prefer BCAAs to whey before a WO because the constant supply of Leucine helps to trigger anabolism and to reduce fatigue.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Buy them in bulk at nutraplanet...

at 25g a day... it costs me about 75 cents a day

and the benefits outweigh the cost and benefits of supplementing protein all day. its the best thing for a cut

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
xMike777x

xMike777x

Awards
I like BCAAs because they not only help to reduce catabolism, but they are extremely vital to anabolism. Whey is a preferred protein because of its high BCAA content and its fast digestion. However, free-form BCAAs and peptide bound BCAAs have completely different reactions within the body. I much prefer BCAAs to whey before a WO because the constant supply of Leucine helps to trigger anabolism and to reduce fatigue.
What brand do you prefer?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
its not worth the cost. why dont u just take a whey protein shake before lifting. this will result in amino acids being avaible within 20 minutes, and will peak in ur blood at 90 minutes i believe
Why do you not get a massive NO pump from taking whey protein, since it contains Arginine?

Therein lies the reason supplementing with BCAAs by themselves are extremely effective.

H

herkfsu

Awards
I like BCAAs because they not only help to reduce catabolism, but they are extremely vital to anabolism.
As is Whey

Whey is a preferred protein because of its high BCAA content and its fast digestion.
Yep

However, free-form BCAAs and peptide bound BCAAs have completely different reactions within the body.
Like what? And how much better are these "reactions" at putting on pounds of muscle?

I much prefer BCAAs to whey before a WO because the constant supply of Leucine helps to trigger anabolism and to reduce fatigue.
So does whey.

BCAAs = rip off. It is just my opinion, but I have never ever seen anyone go from taking a scoop of whey to BCAAs pre workout and adding anymore muscle than normal. If there was some sort of study I am missing that showed more muscle being added due to BCAAs vs Whey I might think differently. Nothing more than an expensive placebo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try an experiment yourself. Take out 25-30g of whey per day and add in the same amount of BCAAs. Whey's strengths are also it's downfall. Whey is not anti-catabolic, but BCAAs are. And to re-iterate Dsade's post, free form arginine and taking arginine within a peptide bound protein have a much different reaction. Perhaps you should do some research about amino metabolism before you start throwing your opinion around.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
As is Whey

Yep

Like what? And how much better are these "reactions" at putting on pounds of muscle?

So does whey.

BCAAs = rip off. It is just my opinion, but I have never ever seen anyone go from taking a scoop of whey to BCAAs pre workout and adding anymore muscle than normal. If there was some sort of study I am missing that showed more muscle being added due to BCAAs vs Whey I might think differently. Nothing more than an expensive placebo.

Check studies on leucine... its been proven to not be a placebo

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you take 5g of BCAA's. That's more BCAA's than you get with your 1 scoop of whey protein. Whey protein is primarily glutamic acid.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I don't think they are necessarly pointless. Although personally, I don't use them/buy them. That's just me.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

From my T-Nation link above:

In a study examining plasma insulin release, a 221% greater insulin response was achieved when subjects ingested a high glycemic carbohydrate bolus with protein hydrolysate and leucine as opposed to carbohydrate alone. When the subjects ingested carbohydrate with protein hydrolysate, but without leucine, a 66% greater insulin response was observed than with carbohydrate alone (Manninen et al, 2006).

Based on these results, it's evident that leucine supplementation is beneficial to resistance exercise in terms of its ability to modulate insulin signaling. Post-exercise hyperinsulinaemia (high insulin) supported by hyperaminoacidaemia (high amino acids) induced by protein hydrolysate and leucine ingestion increases net protein deposition in muscle, leading to increased skeletal muscle hypertrophy and strength (Manninen et al, 2006).

So, the bottom line is this: during and post-exercise, it's ideal to ingest a fast-digesting drink of hydrolyzed protein, sugary carbs, and some additional BCAA (especially leucine) because of the combined high blood insulin and high blood amino acid concentrations that accompany such a beverage.

However, based on the research, this type of drink doesn't only work through the modulation of insulin release. Leucine helps grow muscle because it's also a key element in the activation of translational pathways responsible for muscle growth.

Manninen, A. Hyperinsulinaemia, hyperaminoacidaemia and post-exercise muscle anabolism: the search for the optimal recovery drink. 2006.

In the figure above (Blomstrand et al, 2006), BCAA supplementation consumed post-resistance exercise had a significant effect on translation initiating factors p70S6 kinase and mTOR. The role of leucine and other BCAA is to phosphorylate the proteins serine and threonine, which in turn will produce a phosphorylating cascade eventually initiating the translation of protein synthesis.

The fundamental idea to take away is that BCAA, in particularly leucine, reverse the inhibition of translation produced by resistance training. In reversing this inhibition, BCAA will allow for increased muscle hypertrophy through greater levels of protein synthesis.

At this point, you might be wondering why supplemental leucine is necessary when skeletal muscles are already comprised of one-third BCAA. Well, during resistance training, BCAA oxidation in skeletal muscle increases through activation of the branched-chain a-keto acid dehydrogenase (BCKDH).

This means that plasma and intracellular concentrations of leucine decrease. Consequently, the ability of leucine to stimulate insulin release and initiate translation will be diminished until during or post-exercise supplementation is provided.

Blomstrand, E. Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise. 2006.

X

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Of all the questionable and controversial supplements out there, this dude picks BCAA to go after? What's that all about? :blink:

The T-Nation stuff posted in this thread seems pretty solid. If that's not enough, I can personally attest to BCAA helping build and maintain muscle for me. No hard data really, but it's one of a couple things I did differently that has made a huge impact in the last year. In total, I've added 10 pounds since March and decreased bf% from the upper teens to about 12.5% since June.

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I tried bcaa's before at 30gs ed I think. Its been awhile so I can't remeber. Anyway I didn't find them worth the money but I did use them on a bulk. I've heard they are great for maintaining muscle on a cut though so maybe I'll try that next time. I wouldn't call them useless though because many seem to respond well to them.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I just purchased a kilo of Leucine from NP... I've been reading around that Leucine is really the most essential of the three BCAAs for engendering muscle growth and protein synthesis. Not to say it'd be a good idea to have an imbalance of Leucine and its counterparts in your diet. But if you do supplement with a good whey protein powder pre workout, which may contain upwards of 5 - 10 total grams of BCAAs, and follow that up with plenty of Leucine, there should be no problem. Buying Leucine separately in bulk is also a lot more cost-effective than purchasing bulk BCAAs.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im gonna start taking 3g of leucine between my meals to kick start protein synthesis

BCAAs on a cut are a MUST for me too

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im gonna start taking 3g of leucine between my meals to kick start protein synthesis

BCAAs on a cut are a MUST for me too
I am a big proponent of doing the mega dose BCAAs in a gallon jug and drink it throughout the day method.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am a big proponent of doing the mega dose BCAAs in a gallon jug and drink it throughout the day method.
Do you think there's any benefit to using just leucine before fasted cardio?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah, i was suggested to mega dose (like 40g/day) on my cut but i just cant afford that :( I use 20 on my cuts. 5g morning, 5g pre, 10g post

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, i was suggested to mega dose (like 40g/day) on my cut but i just cant afford that :( I use 20 on my cuts. 5g morning, 5g pre, 10g post
I hear you on that. Perhaps add in some HMB to the mix.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
whats HMB?
http://store.anabolicminds.com/product/1311/hmb-powder.html
HMB, beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of leucine, one of the body’s essential amino acids. It one of the most popular body building supplements today, and when used in high enough volumes, very effective.

Benefits of HMB

Increases muscle mass and decreases fat storage. Research shows that 3-5 grams per day is an exceptional tool for increases LBM and decreasing fat storage at the same time!

according to some study i read. its great for beginners but not proven to help in those who arent beginners. whatever that meant. its also expensive

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://store.anabolicminds.com/product/1311/hmb-powder.html
HMB, beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of leucine, one of the body’s essential amino acids. It one of the most popular body building supplements today, and when used in high enough volumes, very effective.

Benefits of HMB

Increases muscle mass and decreases fat storage. Research shows that 3-5 grams per day is an exceptional tool for increases LBM and decreasing fat storage at the same time!

according to some study i read. its great for beginners but not proven to help in those who arent beginners. whatever that meant. its also expensive
Bulk HMB is rather cheap and when used on a cut it is a great tool to have. Beast did a few experiments with HMB and found that he lost 2-3 lbs of fat and added .5lbs of LBM while on a cut. I would say that he is not close to a beginner and he had solid results.

Mike Combs

Mike Combs

Awards
i think u need to do a little more research b4 shooting your mouth off over this subject newb :fool2:

Mike Combs

Mike Combs

Awards
Of all the questionable and controversial supplements out there, this dude picks BCAA to go after? What's that all about? :blink:

The T-Nation stuff posted in this thread seems pretty solid. If that's not enough, I can personally attest to BCAA helping build and maintain muscle for me. No hard data really, but it's one of a couple things I did differently that has made a huge impact in the last year. In total, I've added 10 pounds since March and decreased bf% from the upper teens to about 12.5% since June.
:goodpost:

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Bulk HMB is rather cheap and when used on a cut it is a great tool to have. Beast did a few experiments with HMB and found that he lost 2-3 lbs of fat and added .5lbs of LBM while on a cut. I would say that he is not close to a beginner and he had solid results.
quite possible bro. i was only sharing a postive and a negative

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i thought that was bulk HMP, 500g for 35 doesnt seem too cheap to me
:(

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i thought that was bulk HMP, 500g for 35 doesnt seem too cheap to me
:(
exactly. but i swear HMB is one of those things like glutamine some people swear by it some say its useless. i am not smart enuff to tell you otherwise either way im just sharing what i know and have heard.

when i started hitting weights around this past winter time for the first time in months local shop put me on HMB and Vandaly Sulfate. i didnt like the sound of it but i did it to earn the guys trust and i was doing pretty good. but thats possibly for soo many reasons. really not sure about HMB.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
HMB is also like glutamine. It may have its place somewhere else, but not really in bodybuilding.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a good idea, and also keeping one by the bed to sip on if you should happen to get up to pee during the night.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Why not protein ? I'd rather take mega amounts of protein vs. mega amounts of BCAAs only.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Why not protein ? I'd rather take mega amounts of protein vs. mega amounts of BCAAs only.
Could depend on goals. If you want the extra cals, like for a bulk or just to hit your maintenance calorie level, then you may want the protein.

But some people replace a certain portion of their normal whey regimen with BCAA only when cutting. That helps cut out calories, but the BCAA still help preserve muscle on a calorie reduced diet. I don't take them all day, but when I cut I'll down a scoop of bulk BCAA powder with some skim milk right before bed. Small amount of calories, but enough BCAA to maintain muscle at night. On a bulk or recomp, I might have a whey shake with extra BCAA before bed. So that's the difference.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

I absolutly agree, this is a great addition to anybody dieting.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i'm not convinced that they're necessary during a 'bulking up' phase, but during a 'leaning out' cycle, they're vital IMO.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
HMB is also like glutamine. It may have its place somewhere else, but not really in bodybuilding.
i used HMB when i was 16 and about 2 years ago as well and it worked wonders for me. hell i don't know why im not taking it now. You ever tried it or just jumping on the band wagon?

ive just boguht my first 500gms of BCAA's so hopefully ill be able to comment on their effectiveness in the next month or two.

J

JJC

Awards
  • Established
A few things:

I don't understand how someone could say that BCAAs are an expensive placebo. First of all, they are not expensive if you know what you're doing. Second of all, they are the basic building blocks of protein! And the most anabolic of all the amino acids as a matter of fact! Amino acids make up proteins...and whey contains mostly proteins. SOOOOO whey protein contains BCAAs. THEN if you think that BCAAs are a placebo, then you must think that protein is a placebo! Seriously, I really don't understand what some people are thinking when they say these things...:frustrate

BCAAs are an absolute must on a cut. Maybe not as important on a maintenance diet or a bulk since food will be in ample supply but really not a bad idea to add to your regimen.

Also, if you're expecting your size and strength to sky rocket while supplementing with BCAAs then clearly you need to learn a few things. On the other hand, I guarantee that if you have never used BCAAs and you decided to add them to your arsenal, with a good diet and training plan your strength and size will increase more quickly than with whey alone (over an extended period of time, of course).

Unrelated...nycste: I think that guy gave you some hmb because you mentioned that you had been out of the gym for a few months. Most studies on HMB show the greatest effects on "untrained" subjects. In your case, taking some time off could have reverted you back towards a more "untrained" state. Just a thought...

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
A few things:

I don't understand how someone could say that BCAAs are an expensive placebo. First of all, they are not expensive if you know what you're doing. Second of all, they are the basic building blocks of protein! And the most anabolic of all the amino acids as a matter of fact! Amino acids make up proteins...and whey contains mostly proteins. SOOOOO whey protein contains BCAAs. THEN if you think that BCAAs are a placebo, then you must think that protein is a placebo! Seriously, I really don't understand what some people are thinking when they say these things...:frustrate

BCAAs are an absolute must on a cut. Maybe not as important on a maintenance diet or a bulk since food will be in ample supply but really not a bad idea to add to your regimen.

Also, if you're expecting your size and strength to sky rocket while supplementing with BCAAs then clearly you need to learn a few things. On the other hand, I guarantee that if you have never used BCAAs and you decided to add them to your arsenal, with a good diet and training plan your strength and size will increase more quickly than with whey alone (over an extended period of time, of course).

Unrelated...nycste: I think that guy gave you some hmb because you mentioned that you had been out of the gym for a few months. Most studies on HMB show the greatest effects on "untrained" subjects. In your case, taking some time off could have reverted you back towards a more "untrained" state. Just a thought...
Very well put...

Personally... Ive been cutting for 30 days now... and keeping my protein intake high and spaced evenly apart... kept having a somewhat full look without definition..

I added 25g/day of BCAA's ONE WEEK ago.. its like night and day...

why is this?
well my opinion is that apparantly all my efforts to keep a positive nitrogen balance were thwarted. Sipping on BCAAs all day long and through my longer workouts has made a insane difference. I looked in the mirror yesterday morning and didnt recognize my own body. The sudden change was very apparant and my body has quickly started to shed the fat that it was relying on for survival in a somewhat catabolic caloric deficit. at $35 for a kilo... i only wish i could buy it in larger margins

if your bulking... its not as important.. when cutting... it can make all the difference

H

herkfsu

Awards
From my T-Nation link above:

In a study examining plasma insulin release, a 221% greater insulin response was achieved when subjects ingested a high glycemic carbohydrate bolus with protein hydrolysate and leucine as opposed to carbohydrate alone. When the subjects ingested carbohydrate with protein hydrolysate, but without leucine, a 66% greater insulin response was observed than with carbohydrate alone (Manninen et al, 2006).

Based on these results, it's evident that leucine supplementation is beneficial to resistance exercise in terms of its ability to modulate insulin signaling. Post-exercise hyperinsulinaemia (high insulin) supported by hyperaminoacidaemia (high amino acids) induced by protein hydrolysate and leucine ingestion increases net protein deposition in muscle, leading to increased skeletal muscle hypertrophy and strength (Manninen et al, 2006).

So, the bottom line is this: during and post-exercise, it's ideal to ingest a fast-digesting drink of hydrolyzed protein, sugary carbs, and some additional BCAA (especially leucine) because of the combined high blood insulin and high blood amino acid concentrations that accompany such a beverage.

However, based on the research, this type of drink doesn't only work through the modulation of insulin release. Leucine helps grow muscle because it's also a key element in the activation of translational pathways responsible for muscle growth.

Manninen, A. Hyperinsulinaemia, hyperaminoacidaemia and post-exercise muscle anabolism: the search for the optimal recovery drink. 2006.

In the figure above (Blomstrand et al, 2006), BCAA supplementation consumed post-resistance exercise had a significant effect on translation initiating factors p70S6 kinase and mTOR. The role of leucine and other BCAA is to phosphorylate the proteins serine and threonine, which in turn will produce a phosphorylating cascade eventually initiating the translation of protein synthesis.

The fundamental idea to take away is that BCAA, in particularly leucine, reverse the inhibition of translation produced by resistance training. In reversing this inhibition, BCAA will allow for increased muscle hypertrophy through greater levels of protein synthesis.

At this point, you might be wondering why supplemental leucine is necessary when skeletal muscles are already comprised of one-third BCAA. Well, during resistance training, BCAA oxidation in skeletal muscle increases through activation of the branched-chain a-keto acid dehydrogenase (BCKDH).

This means that plasma and intracellular concentrations of leucine decrease. Consequently, the ability of leucine to stimulate insulin release and initiate translation will be diminished until during or post-exercise supplementation is provided.

Blomstrand, E. Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise. 2006.

X

Are you saying leucine produces a greater insulin response? For one thing thats not what I was arguing. Another, who is to say how much of a insulin response is needed for optimal muscle growth(if any at all) and how much could be too much.

When did I ever say BCAAs don't work? I said they provide limited to no benefits over straight whey. When you have a study showing large benefits(muscle gain) from say 25g of BCAAs vs 25g of Whey post workout please post it.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Are you saying leucine produces a greater insulin response? For one thing thats not what I was arguing. Another, who is to say how much of a insulin response is needed for optimal muscle growth(if any at all) and how much could be too much.

When did I ever say BCAAs don't work? I said they provide limited to no benefits over straight whey. When you have a study showing large benefits(muscle gain) from say 25g of BCAAs vs 25g of Whey post workout please post it.
I don't think you're getting it. Whey is very important. Nobody is disputing that. There is a lot of evidence, referenced above, that BCAAs are useful as well, INDEPENDENT of whey. Adding the two together provides a high enough dose to provide real benefits and, contrary to what some others have said, is pretty economical. Rodja and some others mentioned that they use BCAAs in place of whey on a cut because they want to reduce calories and still get the anti-catabolic effects of BCAA supplementation. And their experience has been that it worked well.

So, where is your disagreement here? You don't think BCAAs are necessary. Fine, don't use them. This thread was started by a guy who said BCAAs are useless. I think that opinion has been pretty thoroughly torn apart by a number of users with a ton more experience.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

Leucine is 1/3 of the BCAA.

Insulin is the storage hormone. The pancreas produces insulin in response to food. When you consume food, enzymes break it down into constituent glucose, fatty acids and amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Insulin responds to carbohydrate and protein by storing glucose in muscle and liver, fat in fat cells and by the utilizing amino acids from food protein in body building and repair. It’s incorrect to think of insulin as only responding to carbohydrate foods because some protein foods such as fish and beef elicit a very strong insulin response in their own right. In diabetes, insulin is either insufficiently produced or is available yet fails to store glucose efficiently. This is called insulin resistance.

Combining pre- and post-exercise foods or sports drinks containing protein and carbohydrate elicits a very strong insulin response in the refueling period after an exercise session. The value of this is that along with the glucose storage and amino acids synthesis in new protein, you get a powerful anabolic, muscle building response. Insulin is an important anabolic hormone. Manipulating insulin is one of the main tools described here for bodybuilding.

If you read into the above study, you will see that leucine was responsible for 'missing' 160% greater insulin response.

I believe you called BCAA's an expensive placebo, I am citing studies where it is shown to illicit an optimum environment for muscle growth.

X

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
A few things:

well said, reps 4 u
:goodpost:

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
^^^ what he said. BCAA's are extremely beneficial on a cut, howevery I also believe that they can be useful on a bulk (with a certain training style). I do powerlifting with high volume and 2-3 minute rest periods. It is an athletic program at my university. My workouts usually run about 2 hours. Once I hit the one hour mark into my workouts I bring out my xtend and I am able to finish the latter half of my workout with the same energy as the first half. Before using xtend this was certainly not the case.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i don't see the need on a bulk. You need lots of cals so take massive amounts of food and whey and you will get all the amino's you need.

For a cut, recomp, or even to remain the same they can be usefull dependent on diet and goals. I currently take 80g/day of BCAA's and have dropped all protein supplements and I'm at 120-150g/day of whole food protein...i get the same result as 400g/day of protein when i supplemented with Whey. However now i just cut out hundreds of calories which meets my goals while still promoting anabolism.

Same results on muscle mass with less calories.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
LOL at the original poster trying to argue the importance of BCAA'S and being taken to school. You've gotta be a real noob to not atleast understand the importance of BCAA'S. :icon_lol:

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i used HMB when i was 16 and about 2 years ago as well and it worked wonders for me. hell i don't know why im not taking it now. You ever tried it or just jumping on the band wagon?

ive just boguht my first 500gms of BCAA's so hopefully ill be able to comment on their effectiveness in the next month or two.
I took a pharmacuetical blend of L-glutamine, L-Arginine, and HMB in a 7g:7g:1.2g ratio of those amino acids. It was made by Abbot Laboratories (Ross Nutrition). They were expensive as phuck too. I think 90 packets of these cost damn near $100.00. They mix them in drink formulas for hospitals.

Anyways, it didn't do anything for me that I could substantiate...atleast that blend. I also tried Xtend by SciVation and all that did was give me the shlts so that's out of the question too. I usually have 3-4 shakes a day, plus whole food protein so that's what I've resorted up until now.