Milk Thistle - Side Effects

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Side Effects and Warnings

Milk thistle appears to be well tolerated in recommended doses for up to 6 years. Some patients in studies have experienced stomach upset, headache, and itching. There are rare reports of appetite loss, gas, heartburn, diarrhea, joint pain, and impotence with milk thistle use. One person experienced sweating, nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting, weakness and collapse after taking milk thistle. This reaction may have been due to an allergic reaction, and improved after 24 hours. High liver enzyme levels in one person taking milk thistle returned to normal after the person stopped taking the herb.

In theory, milk thistle may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugars. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

Theoretically, because milk thistle plant extract might have estrogenic effects, women with hormone sensitive conditions should avoid milk thistle above ground parts. Some of these conditions include breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer, endometriosis and uterine fibroids. The more commonly used milk thistle seed extracts are not known to have estrogenic effects.

source: Natural Standard

dhuge67

dhuge67

Awards
  • Established
Interesting that some of those symptoms are also experienced by those who use Milk Thistle in conjunction with anabolic steroids.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It also mucks around with the androgen receptor a bit...although to what degree I've never been able to determine based on the literature.

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
I have been taking Milk Thistle everyday for about 3 years because it helps increase my appetite. I have never had any side-effects from it. I have a small case of gyno lumps that are easily aggravated by anything that is even slightly estrogenic and I have never had problems with Milk Thistle.

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
It also mucks around with the androgen receptor a bit...although to what degree I've never been able to determine based on the literature.
That is some interesting info. I had read that before somewhere but don't think it gave much insight as to how it interferes with the AR.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Charles Poliquin talks about this frequently but I've never seen anything to actually turn me off of using it nor have I had any noticable negative effects.

I think it's one of those "the benefits outweigh the risks" type things.

I notice a huge increase in appetite from taking Liv 52..much more so than MT. Liv 52 also cleared up my skin like nothing else has ever done.