Is Casein Worth it?

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, Im interested in getting some feedback on casein protein and whether or not its worth the money. I know cc is a good source of protein before bed but im just not a fan of that and although i love skim milk i know nutrient wise casein would be a little better but im not sure if its worth the extra money.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I would say its defiantly worth the money but if you don't want to spend the money just try eating a couple spoonfuls of natty peanut.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
cottage cheese... IMO the best food source for caseins. it's not expensive and you can mix in honey or syrup for some sweetener.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Since you like skim milk, just drink that with some whey....

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Since you like skim milk, just drink that with some whey....
the only problem w whey pre bed is that it dissolves so fast that by the time you wake up however many hours later, you'll feel hungry again... which isn't a good sign come the AM. this means that your muscles are on the verge of catabolism from a lack of protein and nutrients over the course of the night, hence why casein is so essential come bedtime. you don't have to buy it separately, though some people prefer to do that. i just buy cottage cheese and drink 2 cups skim milk for the added caseins. it works for me and i never wake up 8 hrs later feeling hungry

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys. I have a hard time eating cc although i did notice i did not wake up hungry at all when i was eating it. I think ill try some sugar free syrup or something like that to spice it up and if that doesnt work ill just pick up some casein powder.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys. I have a hard time eating cc although i did notice i did not wake up hungry at all when i was eating it. I think ill try some sugar free syrup or something like that to spice it up and if that doesnt work ill just pick up some casein powder.
sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
if i were u, i would get the casian but because its kinda expensive i would drink it one night eat some cc the next night then do some skim+whey the next. that way, u dont go through like 56lbs of casian and you dont really get sick of any of them. just a thought

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I would say its defiantly worth the money but if you don't want to spend the money just try eating a couple spoonfuls of natty peanut.
Natty PB in place of Casein... that sounds like a caloric nightmare. Hope you're bulking.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Milk Protein Isolate :food:
You beat me too it.

MPI is 80% casein and 20% whey. It is well priced too!

Go to Trueprotein.com and order some up.

Don't forget to use the 5% discount code BTH058

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
one word ULTRA-FREAKING-PEPTIDE

A great multi-blend protein.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I honestly feel that whey has no purpose other than:

1. Waking up in the morning. You need to get protein in you asap due to the lack of protein leaving your body in a current catabolic state.

2. Right after working out. The whey's rapid digestion rate gets the protein in your body asap when it is needed.

I feel that casein is a good protein to use the rest of the time. Why ? If you are like me and heavily rely on shakes instead of whole food the slow protein digestion rate leaves a higher room for error when trying to avoid negative nitrogen balance. If you consume whey between meals then your covered so that's not a problem.

The thing that appeals to me the most is how it works slower. There isn't a insane need for immediate protein that whey offers other than the 2 situations noted above. ^^^^

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I honestly feel that whey has no purpose other than:

1. Waking up in the morning. You need to get protein in you asap due to the lack of protein leaving your body in a current catabolic state.

2. Right after working out. The whey's rapid digestion rate gets the protein in your body asap when it is needed.

I feel that casein is a good protein to use the rest of the time. Why ? If you are like me and heavily rely on shakes instead of whole food the slow protein digestion rate leaves a higher room for error when trying to avoid negative nitrogen balance. If you consume whey between meals then your covered so that's not a problem.

The thing that appeals to me the most is how it works slower. There isn't a insane need for immediate protein that whey offers other than the 2 situations noted above. ^^^^

:clap2: Those are the purposes I use whey for.

It seems like everybody is addicted to whey. I try to tell them about a nice multi-blend but they don't want to hear it.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
:clap2: Those are the purposes I use whey for.

It seems like everybody is addicted to whey. I try to tell them about a nice multi-blend but they don't want to hear it.

Whey is good, but it has its purposes. People overkill it and don't use it when they should. An easy/cheap way to make a good blend is buy a ton of Optimum Nutrition casein/whey protein.

Dump 1/2 scoop of whey + 1/2 scoop of casein. Done !

OR 1 scoop whey + 1 scoop of casein.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
Whey is good, but it has its purposes. People overkill it and don't use it when they should. An easy/cheap way to make a good blend is buy a ton of Optimum Nutrition casein/whey protein.

hmm that sounds like a great idea seeing as i have a ton of ON whey right now.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
if i were u, i would get the casian but because its kinda expensive i would drink it one night eat some cc the next night then do some skim+whey the next. that way, u dont go through like 56lbs of casian and you dont really get sick of any of them. just a thought
great idea. This way i dont have to eat cc everyday and ill conserve my casein like you said.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
casein is great. my recovery rate has been much better now that i have been using a casein protein opposed to cottage cheese. leaner, too. i've used optimum's pro complex PM protein...which was nasty because it thickened up so much. muscle milk is currently my favorite for before bed. despite the fat, i love it...helps with those cravings too.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
NO!! HAHA thats my TC....and it looks even better now with a lot of upgrades
i knew that did not look like any tib i ever seen. the Tc's are sweet, i like it!

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established

Or save time and money and buy BSL Casein Pro, or Ultra Peptide. BRILLIANT! :)

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
the only problem w whey pre bed is that it dissolves so fast that by the time you wake up however many hours later, you'll feel hungry again... which isn't a good sign come the AM. this means that your muscles are on the verge of catabolism from a lack of protein and nutrients over the course of the night, hence why casein is so essential come bedtime. you don't have to buy it separately, though some people prefer to do that. i just buy cottage cheese and drink 2 cups skim milk for the added caseins. it works for me and i never wake up 8 hrs later feeling hungry
I use to obsess over when to consume different types of protein and how I could always keep a positive nitrogen balance...now I just make sure I get my calories in as that is what is most important. Gains continue to come with no problem. People freak out about going catabolic too much.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I use to obsess over when to consume different types of protein and how I could always keep a positive nitrogen balance...now I just make sure I get my calories in as that is what is most important. Gains continue to come with no problem. People freak out about going catabolic too much.
True. But still, there is a whole science behind it all. You might just have the lucky genes that let you grow w/o having to adhere to strict diet habits. Nevertheless, if you go hours at a time w/o eating you will enter negative nitrogen balance and start to burn muscle for energy. That's why I always try to eat every 3 hrs... complex carbs during the day, simple carbs pre/post workout. Casein protein b4 bed just cuz I wake up feeling full. But that works for me.

I'd recommend a similar approach to anyone. But ultimately how you eat is up to your own dietary needs and what's best for your body.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
True. But still, there is a whole science behind it all. You might just have the lucky genes that let you grow w/o having to adhere to strict diet habits. Nevertheless, if you go hours at a time w/o eating you will enter negative nitrogen balance and start to burn muscle for energy. That's why I always try to eat every 3 hrs... complex carbs during the day, simple carbs pre/post workout. Casein protein b4 bed just cuz I wake up feeling full. But that works for me.

I'd recommend a similar approach to anyone. But ultimately how you eat is up to your own dietary needs and what's best for your body.
I agree with you. I know that in order for me to get the body im looking for i need more than just genes. With work i go 5-6 hours at a time without eating and it sucks.