Grapefruit WHERE U AT

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
SO like grapefruit juice has been shown to rock in aiding absorption of stuff. so like why doesnt nutraplanet sell PURE GRAPEFRUIT pills or why doesnt anyone make it? please post a link on site if it does exist cuz i cannot find it.

and is a real juice better then any pill form? if it exists or will be made?

let the craziness begin

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
SO like grapefruit juice has been shown to rock in aiding absorption of stuff. so like why doesnt nutraplanet sell PURE GRAPEFRUIT pills or why doesnt anyone make it? please post a link on site if it does exist cuz i cannot find it.

let the craziness begin
Grapefruit inhibits cytochrome p-450, and from what I read nothing beats a real grapefruit or 100% GFJ.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the real deal is better. There's actually a few constituents of the grapefruit juice that contribute to the cytochrome p-450 inhibition. One is naringin and there's others like bergamottin that cause the effect of increasing bioavailability and half life of some drugs.

I'm guessing you don't find a supplement that fully mimics the grapefruit's abilities because it's easy enough to just get some grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Also, there is grapefruit seed extract, but there's no scientific research about it's efficacy.

Don't get too carried away with this. It can lead to dangerous, toxic levels of some drugs or possibly supplements (one example I think someone mentioned might be red yeast rice). I suggest you look into which ones have a bad interaction with grapefruit on your own if you are indeed taking any medication.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
just a note. grapefruit juice tastes soo bad ewwww...

got me a small bottle of tropicana 100percent grapefruit juice ewwwwww im doing it for absorption haha

gonna save second half for tonights phera pill

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
i pound about a gallon of GFJ a week

narginin ftw

RPM has narginin in it :D

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
naringin is actually a weak cytochrome p450 inhibitor compared to grapefruit juice in its entirety ;)

but it does do other interesting stuff besides the enzyme inhibition

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
naringin is actually a weak cytochrome p450 inhibitor compared to grapefruit juice in its entirety ;)

but it does do other interesting stuff besides the enzyme inhibition
interesting finds guys...

give me advice how to drink normal grapefruit juice it tastes soo bad to me. there was something called rubyred grapefruit juice i think is that still just as good or?

tell me how to drink this nasty stuff and whats the proper timing for drinking it howmuch i gotta drink etc etc

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

give me advice how to drink normal grapefruit juice it tastes soo bad to me. there was something called rubyred grapefruit juice i think is that still just as good or?

tell me how to drink this nasty stuff and whats the proper timing for drinking it howmuch i gotta drink etc etc
You can add some dextrose or splenda to it.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established

ruby red grapefruit is what I've used and I thought it tasted pretty decently

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

let the craziness begin
i have a better idea...............i heard a rumor, that SOMEONE was releasing an absorption complex to make all your other supplements better...................:think: i don't know who though! :thumbsup:

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
So with grapefruit's method of action, what are some good supps to down along with it? I know it works particuarly w/ methlylated substances.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i have a better idea...............i heard a rumor, that SOMEONE was releasing an absorption complex to make all your other supplements better...................:think: i don't know who though! :thumbsup:
i think someone should test it. i got an idea who id recommend.. dat nycste guy

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is this anything like the absorption complex in a certain prohormone that the stupid FDA has confused with 4-AD? Apparently, they have issues with their 1-2-3's :D

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is this anything like the absorption complex in a certain prohormone that the stupid FDA has confused with 4-AD? Apparently, they have issues with their 1-2-3's :D
...............................possibly..............:thumbsup:

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
So with grapefruit's method of action, what are some good supps to down along with it? I know it works particuarly w/ methlylated substances.
Yeah, I find caffeine is definitely a good one to take with it (and probably safest also).

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Let's take the absorption complex to make the absorption complex supplement better!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
are you double posting on purpose? :trout:

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
try eating a grape fruit rather than just drinking the juice, but try and get as much of the peeling of of each individual piece as you can, this can give it a bitter taste, plus its good roughage, kinda like corn :)

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
just a note. grapefruit juice tastes soo bad ewwww...

got me a small bottle of tropicana 100percent grapefruit juice ewwwwww im doing it for absorption haha

gonna save second half for tonights phera pill
I luv GFJ. I think it tastes good, but I try to eat solid GF's though.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I luv GFJ. I think it tastes good, but I try to eat solid GF's though.
i love grapefruit whole! peel it and eat it like an orange. Took me a few weeks to get used to it, but now i actually crave them!

Synicus

Awards

Wuss. I never liked it that much. We got Vitamin Cottage here in Colorado they gots lots of varieties of GF juice, organic. I'm drinkin the R. W. Knudsen Rio Red Grapefruit juice, pure organic. Actually I like it, only $2.00 and change for 32 fl oz, drink 6-8 oz then 10-15 min later the pills. Try a Health Food store/vit shop w/ varieties of organic GF instead of the concentrated crap.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
:trout:

lol

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Can't wait

+reps when I can

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to macedaddy again.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nycste, I too hate the taste and found putting in suger makes it good.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
WHAT? I can't put the GFJ down!!!!
You are very lucky. I wish I could handle it. It got to the point that I was sick of adding in suger evertime and I just did 2 shots of it.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
You are very lucky. I wish I could handle it. It got to the point that I was sick of adding in suger evertime and I just did 2 shots of it.
Nothing like shooting GFJ with Poseidon :head:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
Wuss. I never liked it that much. We got Vitamin Cottage here in Colorado they gots lots of varieties of GF juice, organic. I'm drinkin the R. W. Knudsen Rio Red Grapefruit juice, pure organic. Actually I like it, only $2.00 and change for 32 fl oz, drink 6-8 oz then 10-15 min later the pills. Try a Health Food store/vit shop w/ varieties of organic GF instead of the concentrated crap.
So, 6-8 Oz is optimum/sufficient for increasing absorption of supps? :)

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe someone can post a list of supplements that SHOULD NOT be taken with grapefruit?

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Maybe someone can post a list of supplements that SHOULD NOT be taken with grapefruit?
I don't think you'll find a lengthy, definitive list of dietary supplements that interact dangerously with grapefruit. You can find some excellent lists of medications that interact, though, by simply asking google.

The general rule to grapefruit is that it will interact with substances that have a low bioavailability and are metabolized by the CYP 3A4 enzyme, so you might be able to research a particular supplement to see if there is any harmful possibilities going from those two aspects.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, I can only think of a few supplements that can be harmful with grapefruit.
___
Red Yeast Rice - or anything containing statins which are meant to lower cholesterol and reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. The interaction with RYR increases the risk of myopathy.
___
Designer Steroids - if you think of them as "supplements" they may interact badly with grapefruit in the case that they happen to be methylated, with significant androgenic activity. An increase in bioavailability/half-life from grapefruit here would put more stress/damage on the liver and possibly other organs.
___
Caffeine - there might be some unpleasant CNS overstimulation if you all of a sudden start taking significant doses of caffeine in a short period of time. This would be like 300-400mg or more taken at once, depending on personal tolerances. So, really one can take smaller doses of caffeine when using grapefruit juice to get the desired effects. The lethal dose of caffeine is quite high, so I don't think we need to worry about it here. With grapefruit the LD.50 might be 50 cups of coffee instead of 100 for the average adult male.
___

Considering the site where I'm posting, I guess I should post some non-supplemental things that could interact to give people some idea.

___
SERMs may interact. Nolvadex is listed as possibly interacting, but the significance is unknown right now. I don't believe it's significant because Nolvadex has a high bioavailability to begin with, but other might want to think more about their choice to use grapefruit with a SERM.
___
Cabergoline - it's a dopamine agonist, but might be used by some to try to control prolactin induced gynecomastia. Grapefruit can cause increased blood levels of cabergoline, and trust me, you don't want to mess around with overstimulating your dopamine receptors if you like mental stability.
___
The Benzos - the breakdown of these will be slowed by grapefruit, and could potentially build to toxic levels.
___

There's probably many other choices that are unhealthy, but few that are truly harmful, dangerous or fatal. I'm sure it would be easier to find information if it were the case that people were dying or being hospitalized for using grapefruit with dietary supplements.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you'll find a lengthy, definitive list of dietary supplements that interact dangerously with grapefruit. You can find some excellent lists of medications that interact, though, by simply asking google.

The general rule to grapefruit is that it will interact with substances that have a low bioavailability and are metabolized by the CYP 3A4 enzyme, so you might be able to research a particular supplement to see if there is any harmful possibilities going from those two aspects.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, I can only think of a few supplements that can be harmful with grapefruit.
___
Red Yeast Rice - or anything containing statins which are meant to lower cholesterol and reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. The interaction with RYR increases the risk of myopathy.
___
Designer Steroids - if you think of them as "supplements" they may interact badly with grapefruit in the case that they happen to be methylated, with significant androgenic activity. An increase in bioavailability/half-life from grapefruit here would put more stress/damage on the liver and possibly other organs.
___
Caffeine - there might be some unpleasant CNS overstimulation if you all of a sudden start taking significant doses of caffeine in a short period of time. This would be like 300-400mg or more taken at once, depending on personal tolerances. So, really one can take smaller doses of caffeine when using grapefruit juice to get the desired effects. The lethal dose of caffeine is quite high, so I don't think we need to worry about it here. With grapefruit the LD.50 might be 50 cups of coffee instead of 100 for the average adult male.
___

Considering the site where I'm posting, I guess I should post some non-supplemental things that could interact to give people some idea.

___
SERMs may interact. Nolvadex is listed as possibly interacting, but the significance is unknown right now. I don't believe it's significant because Nolvadex has a high bioavailability to begin with, but other might want to think more about their choice to use grapefruit with a SERM.
___
Cabergoline - it's a dopamine agonist, but might be used by some to try to control prolactin induced gynecomastia. Grapefruit can cause increased blood levels of cabergoline, and trust me, you don't want to mess around with overstimulating your dopamine receptors if you like mental stability.
___
The Benzos - the breakdown of these will be slowed by grapefruit, and could potentially build to toxic levels.
___

There's probably many other choices that are unhealthy, but few that are truly harmful, dangerous or fatal. I'm sure it would be easier to find information if it were the case that people were dying or being hospitalized for using grapefruit with dietary supplements.
:goodpost:

BTW, toremifene is another that is effected.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So in general, as long as Im sticking to a lot of the basic stuff I should be ok.

Thanks again, this is definitely something I'm thinking of trying :)

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
So

10 mg havoc + grapefruit juice = 20 mg Havoc?

Would GFJ be a good way to save money by allowing us to take a lower dosage? :)

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
So

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
So

No and No!

It is unknown whether or not grapefruit juice will increase the absorption of oral AAS.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try putting a cup down right after you brush your teeth. Really gives it some newfound respect.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No and No!

It is unknown whether or not grapefruit juice will increase the absorption of oral anabolic steroids.
I thought grapefruit increased half-life. Or is that what you were getting at?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I thought grapefruit increased half-life. Or is that what you were getting at?
Grapefruit juice inhibits certain enzymes that metabolize chemicals therefore allowing more chemical to enter blood.

Example:
Prescribed dose of Lipitor is 10mg. Lipitor begins to get metabolized by cyp p450 3a isoenzyme in intestinal wall. Lets say for arguments sake that only 5mg makes it into bloodstream. Now, you drink some grapefruit juice which inhibits cyp p450 3a isoenzyme, and then take 10mg lipitor. Again for arguments sake, lets say the entire 10g makes it into the bloodstream. This can pose problems since it will allow for higher blood levels than expected, especially for blood pressure meds.

The same enzyme metabolizes Testosterone so theoretically taking grapefruit juice prior to oral testosterone would increase chances of Test making into the bloodstream. That is if it makes it past the stomach.

http://www.edhayes.com/startp450.html

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
total newb question.

lets say at 1pm you drink 8oz grapefruit juice..

howlong does this grapefruit juice stuff interact with food liquid intake afterwards for like howmany hours?

howlong are the enzymes changes effected might be the better question?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
howlong does this grapefruit juice stuff interact with food liquid intake afterwards for like howmany hours?

howlong are the enzymes changes effected might be the better question?
18-24 hours if I remember correctly.

The potential for this type of drug interaction is enormous. Dr. David Bailey, stated in the September 3rd, 1998 issue of the Medical Tribune:

"Sixty percent of drugs that are (commonly) prescribed are metabolized to some extent by this enzyme, CYP3A4 (Cytochrome P450 3A4). Many drugs undergo first-pass metabolism by CYP3A4. Hence, the inhibition of this enzyme in the gut causes plasma concentrations of these drugs to increase markedly after oral administration. The result can be significant. For example, taking one tablet of lovastatin (Mevacor) with a glass of grapefruit juice is the same as taking 12 to 15 tablets with a glass of water. Certain antihistamines, benzodiazepines, cyclosporin, caffeine, calcium antagonists and cisapride are among other drugs with which grapefruit interacts. So this interaction is very important and the list (of drugs) is going to continue to grow".

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I've read that the effects can be seen up to 72 hours after an 8oz glass of grapefruit juice. But that's a general statement for which I couldn't find any specific data on what thresh hold for the inhibition was used to say that the effects wouldn't be seen anymore.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
so what other things are similiar to grapefruit juice?

Quote:
The potential for this type of drug interaction is enormous. Dr. David Bailey, stated in the September 3rd, 1998 issue of the Medical Tribune:

"Sixty percent of drugs that are (commonly) prescribed are metabolized to some extent by this enzyme, CYP3A4 (Cytochrome P450 3A4). Many drugs undergo first-pass metabolism by CYP3A4. Hence, the inhibition of this enzyme in the gut causes plasma concentrations of these drugs to increase markedly after oral administration. The result can be significant. For example, taking one tablet of lovastatin (Mevacor) with a glass of grapefruit juice is the same as taking 12 to 15 tablets with a glass of water. Certain antihistamines, benzodiazepines, cyclosporin, caffeine, calcium antagonists and cisapride are among other drugs with which grapefruit interacts. So this interaction is very important and the list (of drugs) is going to continue to grow".

WOW. so like i dont need to drink a glass everytime i take pills its more like i need to drink 1-2 glasses max a day and thats still overkill.

but of coures sometimes this could be dangerous but no studies have shown anything worth getting scared over yet.

you really would think some supplement company would jump all over this and add it to anything and it would sell. plzz if anyone reading this give me 10percent profit or more :p

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Don't get too carried away with this. It can lead to dangerous, toxic levels of some drugs or possibly supplements (one example I think someone mentioned might be red yeast rice). I suggest you look into which ones have a bad interaction with grapefruit on your own if you are indeed taking any medication.
What he said

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
but of coures sometimes this could be dangerous but no studies have shown anything worth getting scared over yet.
I am pretty sure people have died from toxic levels of prescription meds as a result. I remember reading about a man and allergy medication that died.