Milk thistle due to chlorine?

themandaloria

Awards
I swim in a pool that's loaded with chlorine, do you think taking milk thistle would be a good idea due to this.

Oh and i swim 11 hours a week in the pool

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I swim in a pool that's loaded with chlorine, do you think taking milk thistle would be a good idea due to this.

Oh and i swim 11 hours a week in the pool
Do you suspect liver problems?

herkfsu

Awards
milk thistle can't hurt thats for sure. I am not sure how hard it is for your body to remove that much chlorine, but if it does put a lot of stress on your liver(google it) I would give it a try and see how you feel.

themandaloria

Awards
Thanks guys. I do suspect it somewhat. Sometimes i can't get home on time so i don't get to take a shower right away, and i always seem to feel chlorine on me, even though i use a washcloth. Last year i was getting sick every week, this year isn't as bad though, (taking vitamins and other stuff)

I think i'll just get it, can't hurt, and it's pretty cheap here on Nutraplanet

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
1: J Water Health. 2006 Dec;4(4):425-30.Links
Water ingestion during swimming activities in a pool: a pilot study.
Dufour AP, Evans O, Behymer TD, Cantú R.

US Environmental Protection Agency, National Exposure Research Laboratory, 26 W. Martin Luther King Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45268, USA. [email protected]

Chloroisocyanurates are commonly added to outdoor swimming pools to stabilize chlorine disinfectants. The chloroisocyanurates decompose slowly to release chlorine and cyanuric acid. Studies conducted to determine if the chloroisocyanurates might be toxic to swimmers showed that they were not and that ingested cyanuric acid passed through the body unmetabolized. This fact was used to determine the amount of water swallowed during swimming activity. Fifty-three recreational swimmers, using a community swimming pool disinfected with cyanuric acid stabilized chlorine, participated in the study. The participants did not swim on the day before or after the test swim. The swimmers were asked to actively swim for at least 45 minutes and to collect their urine for the next 24 hours. Cyanuric acid was measured in pool water using high performance liquid chromatography and porous graphitic carbon columns with UV detection. The urine sample assay required a clean-up procedure to remove urinary proteins and interfering substances. Results of the study indicate that non-adults ingest about twice as much water as adults during swimming activity. The average amount of water swallowed by non-adults and adults was 37 ml and 16 ml, respectively. The design for this study and the analytical methodology used to assay cyanuric acid in swimming pool water and human urine were effective for measuring the volume of water swallowed during swimming activity.

PMID: 17176813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
1: Environ Sci Technol. 2007 Jan 15;41(2):363-72.Links
Drowning in disinfection byproducts? Assessing swimming pool water.
Zwiener C, Richardson SD, De Marini DM, Grummt T, Glauner T, Frimmel FH.

Engler-Bunte-Institute, Universitaet Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany. [email protected]

Disinfection is mandatory for swimming pools: public pools are usually disinfected by gaseous chlorine or sodium hypochlorite and cartridge filters; home pools typically use stabilized chlorine. These methods produce a variety of disinfection byproducts (DBPs), such as trihalomethanes (THMs), which are regulated carcinogenic DBPs in drinking water that have been detected in the blood and breath of swimmers and of nonswimmers at indoor pools. Also produced are halogenated acetic acids (HAAs) and haloketones, which irritate the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes; trichloramine, which is linked with swimming-pool-associated asthma; and halogenated derivatives of UV sun screens, some of which show endocrine effects. Precursors of DBPs include human body substances, chemicals used in cosmetics and sun screens, and natural organic matter. Analytical research has focused also on the identification of an additional portion of unknown DBPs using gas chromatography (GC)/mass spectrometry (MS) and liquid chromatography (LC)/MS/MS with derivatization. Children swimmers have an increased risk of developing asthma and infections of the respiratory tract and ear. A 1.6-2.0-fold increased risk for bladder cancer has been associated with swimming or showering/bathing with chlorinated water. Bladder cancer risk from THM exposure (all routes combined) was greatest among those with the GSTT1-1 gene. This suggests a mechanism involving distribution of THMs to the bladder by dermal/inhalation exposure and activation there by GSTT1-1 to mutagens. DBPs may be reduced by engineering and behavioral means, such as applying new oxidation and filtration methods, reducing bromide and iodide in the source water, increasing air circulation in indoor pools, and assuring the cleanliness of swimmers. The positive health effects gained by swimming can be increased by reducing the potential adverse health risks.

PMID: 17310693 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
1: J Egypt Public Health Assoc. 2005;80(1-2):263-96.Links
Study of the environmental health aspects of swimming pools in Alexandria City.
Abdou MH, Akel MM, El-Shal WI, El-Naggar AS.

Environmental Sciences Department, Faculty of Meteorology, Environment, and Arid Land Agriculture, King Abdulaziz University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. [email protected]

There has been a rapid increase in the number of public as well as private swimming pools in recent years. This is because the general public is now much more health and fitness-oriented, and swimming is thought by many to be the perfect form of exercise. Assessment of the environmental and health aspects of some of Alexandria swimming pools was carried out through the present study. All the recorded temperatures during the present study agreed with the Infectious Diseases Regulations. As regards turbidity, although the annual mean values of most pools had shown compliance with the allowable limit of the decree, there were many violations of the limit values in some individual results recorded during the different months. Most of the residual chlorine results recorded at the different pools during the different months showed that the operators were adding the Cl2 in a haphazard way. The low pH values could be attributed to the addition of slug doses of Cl2 which hydrolyze, producing high concentrations of hydrochloric and hydrochlorous acids. The high incidence of recorded itching and redness of the eyes followed by ear infections was attributed to the exposure to excess chlorine, and to the presence of pathogenic microorganisms. As regards the awareness and practice to pool hygienic instructions, the low percentage of swimmers using head caps during swimming (30.1%) was mainly comprised of females. It could be concluded that the majority of the users followed some of the hygienic instructions, like showering, washing the feet before entering the pool, and wearing bathing suites instead of private clothes. The frequencies of health problems observed among users were related to many factors, like age, marital status, occupation, frequency, and duration of use of the swimming pool.

PMID: 16922155 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
1: Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2006 Oct;80(1):32-9. Epub 2006 Apr 4.Click here to read Links
The determinants of prevalence of health complaints among young competitive swimmers.
Lévesque B, Duchesne JF, Gingras S, Lavoie R, Prud'Homme D, Bernard E, Boulet LP, Ernst P.

Institut national de santé publique du Québec, 945 Ave Wolfe, G1V 5B3, Sainte-Foy, Québec, Canada.

OBJECTIVES: Chloramines, which are produced by the reaction of chlorine with the organic matter present in indoor pools, are potential airway irritants in swimmers. The objective of this study was to compare the prevalence of health complaints of young swimmers and young indoor soccer players and to evaluate the relationship between chloramine concentrations and the athletes' health complaints. METHODS: Health complaints were first (Part 1) documented by questionnaire in 305 competitive swimmers and 499 indoor soccer players of the Québec City region (Canada). Then, (Part 2) health complaints were documented during five training sessions in 72 competitive swimmers in comparison to 73 soccer players. The chloramines in the swimming pool air and water were measured as well as the peak expiratory flow (PEF) before and after the training session. RESULTS: In Part 1, the swimmers reported more lower (adjusted OR: 1.5; IC95%= 1.0-2.2) and upper respiratory symptoms (adjusted OR: 3.7; IC95%= 2.4-5.8). In Part 2, the swimmers experienced more frequent lower (adjusted OR: 3.5; IC95%= 2.0-6.0) and upper respiratory symptoms (adjusted OR: 3.1; IC95%= 1.8-5.4). Overall, swimmers exposed to the highest levels of chloramines in the air and water had more respiratory complaints. CONCLUSIONS: Swimmers exposed to chlorination by-products in both the water and air of indoor swimming pools experience frequent respiratory symptoms that could potentially be reduced by limiting exposure to these products.

PMID: 16586082 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

themandaloria

Awards
Wow thanks a lot. I think i'll just get the thistle, it can't hurt.

Do you use it? And damn NP's products are cheap

i'm a little nervous about it coming from china and all the contaminated stuff coming in