Dangers of Zinc

1. Registered User

Dangers of Zinc

I read this at lunch in the Daily news

Too Much Zinc Raises Prostate Cancer Risk - Study

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tue Jul 1, 4:01 PM ET Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Men who take too much zinc may be raising their prostate cancer (news - web sites) risk, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.

Compared with nonusers, men who took more than 100 mg a day of zinc supplements had more than twice the risk of advanced prostate cancer, the team at the U.S. National Cancer Institute (news - web sites) found.

These levels are far above the recommended 11 mg of zinc a day. However, in the United States, 10 percent of men who take zinc supplements take 2 to 3 times more than this.

Zinc supplements are popular for, among other things, their alleged benefit in preventing or reducing the severity of colds.

Zinc builds up in the prostate, the gland involved in semen production. Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer among U.S. men after skin cancer. It kills nearly 30,000 men a year.

Dr. Michael Leitzmann of the National Cancer Institute and colleagues looked at surveys filled out by 46,974 men taking part in a broad-reaching and ongoing study of health professionals.

Writing in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, they said they found men who took more than 100 mg a day of zinc doubled their risk of advanced prostate cancer, as did men who took the supplements for 10 years or more.

2. Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
    Achieving the Impossible by All Means Necessary

Also too much zinc can cause a calcium deficiency.

FYI (and others) 100 mg of zinc is to much to suplement. If one is deficient, 50 mg is plenty.

PEACE
  3. Registered User

The question I have about that study is this: If you're a body-builder and your body requires more zinc, and therefor uses more zinc, wouldn't that decrease the risk of having it build up in your prostate? That study said 11mg of zinc is recomended, but that's kind of like saying you only need 50g of protien per day. Doesn't apply to us. The multi pack I take has 50mg of zinc, and I don't even know how much I get from foods....
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  155 lbs.

go here it list how much zinc is in popular foods http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplement...ml   looks like only oysters and lots of cereal could cause any problems with too much zinc from foods alone..
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  155 lbs.

oops that link doesnt work.. try this and scroll down and click zinc http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/
  6. Registered User

zma?

I take zinc along with a B vitamin complex and magnesium before bed. I'm not sure if I'm taking 25 or 50mg of zinc.

So then because of this, would you suggest that people not take ZMA?
  7. Registered User

i just reposted it--i dont necessarily think its that bad--i just was warning about taking mega doses
  8. Board Supporter

I wonder how much zinc is absorbed through the nasal membranes when I use Zicam? FWIW, when I do use Zicam, I skip my nightly zinc supp.
  9. Registered User

on my Jamieson bottle it says "Supports Immune System and Prostate Health" I have the 50mg bottle, but after I finish it I'll start buying the 25mg.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dangers of DHEA Supplements
    By Viperspit in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 02:29 AM
  2. The possible dangers of Splenda
    By Deccadick in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM
  3. The Hidden Dangers of Belly Fat
    By yeahright in forum Weight Loss