Experts, need some suggestions on this....

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Ill try and make this as short as i can. I teach high school chemistry, along with coaching football and track. I have lifted many years and i know the great importance of preworkout and PWO nutrition......and here lies the problem.....

For our football program, we lift our kids 3 times a week using bigger,faster, stronger (dont bash here). We lift our kids on the whistle and we are rapid fire....basically organized chaos. Our kids really get after it....they love to lift...bigtime. (we won the state championship in 05) But here is the problem. As soon as we get through lifting, its 3pm, and we hit the practice field for 3 hr. practice.....we NEVER NEVER eat any PWO nutrition....

Our kids bust their tails for an hour, and just walk out of the weightroom without eating any type of protein/carb mix. I have tried and tried to tell our head coach, etc, but just seems we arent going to do anything about it.

Im trying to come up with something that would be very quick and easy to get protein/carbs in our kids as soon as they finish lifting......but remember, this has to be done in bulk and be able to feed over a hundred kids......

MY THOUGHTS.....order whey protein in bulk from some supplier and a discount. Heck, maybe that would cut us a deal if we display their logo in our weightroom, etc....just thinking out loud...

We could use our powdered gatorade as our carb source or buy bulk dextrose and use that.....

So we could have 2 big tubs in our weightroom. When kids get through lifting, they walk by and scoop up protein from barrel #1, then scoop either gatorade powder or dextrose from barrel #2, add water and go and drink..... I think this would have a tremendous positive effect for muscle growth for our kids, saying we dont have any PWO nutrition right now...
thats all i can think of

anyone else with help or could give me suggestions?
Any board sponsors wanna help me out with this....Not trying to get anything free by any mean, just want to help our fball players.

thanks

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Might add some bulk BCAA. I know for me any time I will be exerting extensive active output I will always carry 18-22g of BCAA's with me...in bulk form they are pretty cheap. But you are right there HAS to be some type of postworkout nutrition for it to be effective.

You might as well not even lift before practice if there is none...that is just ignorant..and I know you know that. Might try suggesting they lift at a diff time of day than right before practice?? That would seem to me to be the best alternative. Even dextrose/whey will be gone within an hr easily, then theres 2 more hrs of catabolism. But if you HAD to do it, I would do your plan. Whey/Gatorade (powder) then say 1 hr later throw a couple scoops of BCAA in their water bottles. This would HAVE to make a huge difference in your kids performance.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Might add some bulk BCAA. I know for me any time I will be exerting extensive active output I will always carry 18-22g of BCAA's with me...in bulk form they are pretty cheap. But you are right there HAS to be some type of postworkout nutrition for it to be effective.

You might as well not even lift before practice if there is none...that is just ignorant..and I know you know that. Might try suggesting they lift at a diff time of day than right before practice?? That would seem to me to be the best alternative. Even dextrose/whey will be gone within an hr easily, then theres 2 more hrs of catabolism. But if you HAD to do it, I would do your plan. Whey/Gatorade (powder) then say 1 hr later throw a couple scoops of BCAA in their water bottles. This would HAVE to make a huge difference in your kids performance.

thanks both of ya so far for the responses....

blackjack: we can only lift during our 7th period slot (2-3pm). It is our school schedule...no way around that. But im with u....at least its better than getting nothing at all

rushi: thanks for the suggestion.....i just contacting him...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You could also incorporate ground oats fairly cheaply...perhaps mixed with the dextrose. Honey..even though it's a pain to use..is another option.

I'd be wary of getting really cheap whey..particularly with a high whey concentrate percentage as a lot of the kids might get gastro issues from this.

Otherwise, it looks like you are on the right track.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I'd be wary of getting really cheap whey..particularly with a high whey concentrate percentage as a lot of the kids might get gastro issues from this.
Very good point, just wanted to re-iterate this.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
btw, keep us updated as to how this situation turns out.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I've said it before..... I'd be wary of providing ANYTHING that is not mainstream (Gatorade or whole food) without doing a lot of thinking as to the consequences of 1 angry parent, who happens to talk to one anti-protein/supplement doctor.

The parents need to be involved if anything "supplemental" is offered.
Imagine 1 kid on roids...... and the parents blaming it on your secret drink after lifting?

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I've said it before..... I'd be wary of providing ANYTHING that is not mainstream (Gatorade or whole food) without doing a lot of thinking as to the consequences of 1 angry parent, who happens to talk to one anti-protein/supplement doctor.

The parents need to be involved if anything "supplemental" is offered.
Imagine 1 kid on roids...... and the parents blaming it on your secret drink after lifting?
yea, after reading and doing more thinking, i just dont know about the protein. Gastro problems, partents thinking it is "roids"...etc.....

what would u guys suggest in terms of using mainsteam stuff (i.e gatorade, oats)....im trying to think of something whole as a protein source (maybe whole milk in the cartons?). Just thinking out loud......

thanks for the help so far

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
yea, after reading and doing more thinking, i just dont know about the protein. Gastro problems, partents thinking it is "roids"...etc.....

what would u guys suggest in terms of using mainsteam stuff (i.e gatorade, oats)....im trying to think of something whole as a protein source (maybe whole milk in the cartons?). Just thinking out loud......

thanks for the help so far
Well, I think protein powder might still be a good idea.... it's just a matter of how you go about it. Suggestion: A letter provided to parents, educating them on the benefits of post workout nutrition. Explain how protein powders are a good convenient option, and then explain that the kids will have a 15 min window between lifting and practice to eat. The parents then get to decide on sending food with the kids, buying their own protein, or paying $2/week (some low nominal fee) to allow the kids to use protein available at the school.

Just a general idea...... along the same lines, if ANY protein is provided/available for kids use, I'd suggest pre-packaged portions, or at least a store available, mainstream brand. While it's not necessarily the best, it limits your liability or risk of accusations.

Vegking

Awards
Wow, I can't believe in this day and age a football team lifts and then has a 3 hour practice right after lifting. That is just pathetic. Nothing like making the team catabolic. Anyway, good luck with you efforts.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Curt,
You can always find info from college football programs. I know for a fact the SEC school I went to had protein, creatine, and other stuff out on the training table for the athletes (not just football).

They GAVE the players tubs of whey.

But - you would have to involve the parents.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Ok, i have been in discussion about this with our football staff. If everything is cleared with administration and parents, what would u suggest the easiest, most economical solution to our problem. Once again, we are looking to give our kids something PWO immediately as they walk out the weightroom and before we go to practice at 3pm. I have a few suggestions...but would like other suggestion also...

1. Athletes workout from 2-2:50pm. We have a tub(s) of something like cytofuse. Here lies the problem/conflict. When near 50 kids are through lifting, what is the most efficient way of getting this to our athletes in a pretty timely fashion....

a) let them scoop out their cytofuse, and fill w/water, shake, drink.

b) have a manager(s) set up and mix drinks for our athletes, so they can grab and go.

c) premix the cytofuse so kids can just pour and drink.

d) any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Looks like you're dealing with a time crunch as well: I'd at least have a manager mix the stuff up good in an Igloo cooler.... the kids could dispense it themselves into a cup on their way out. I'm guessing you guys will just have to give something a try and adjust as needed. Glad to see you're able to make some headway though! I think this could go a long way towards increased performance by all the kids.

texxlnghorn

Awards
What state are you in?
Because in TX you can't do this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know that Met-rx and EAS make supplements that are approved by the NCAA and the NFL. If you use that angle, then I am sure you could convince most parents that it is ok to be using protein powders and/or MRPs.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just the other day, I was making a list of contacts for my gym's owner, whose interested in getting protein and supplements privately labelled. A few of the board sponsors do this, and can prob cut you some sweet deals. Try hitting up the following email addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Best of Luck to ya.

thesinner

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Just the other day, I was making a list of contacts for my gym's owner, whose interested in getting protein and supplements privately labelled. A few of the board sponsors do this, and can prob cut you some sweet deals. Try hitting up the following email addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Best of Luck to ya.

thesinner
THANKS so much. Sinner, i am trying to find something that is premixed with the compliant protein/carb ratio and ready to drink (i.e cytofuse, etc), where the kids just simply pour and drink after is has been mixed by coaches/managers.

thanks

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
anyone know how i can contact black star lab for cytofuse. I have PM a rep, but havent heard back in a while. I need to make some major headway on this.

Also, we are getting all brand new equipment in our weight room mid july.

10 cages
10 clean/jerk platforms
10 inclines
10 reg. benches.....

etc.....and all with embroidered logos, sealed platforms with logo, etc

should look really nice....over 50 grand invested in equipment alone

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Geez.... that's gonna be a sweet setup man!!!!!!!!

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Geez.... that's gonna be a sweet setup man!!!!!!!!
yea, and to think we dont supply our kids with anything for PWO....absolutely nothing,,,,and then on top of an hour of working out....we practice for 3 hours.....

well, im gonna go to earth's end to figure something out and get something done....hell, if we have to drink little cartons of milk from the cafeteria, we will....at least its SOMETHING.

ok, im done ranting again...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most Gyms aren't that kick-ass of a set-up.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Most Gyms aren't that kick-ass of a set-up.
well, if u could see our weightroom right now, u would understand. All of our equipment is at least 20 yrs old. Just to name a few of the things that is wrong with our current weightroom...

our incline benches are at least 45 degrees or more...so, we think we are working chest, we are really working our front delts...

Our power racks are absolutely garbage....rusted, bent, unstable to name a few

Our clean bars are rusted, old, screws come out, just really bad.

Our plates are both standard and metric....can u imagine how many times our kids have put both a standard and metric plate on their bars. Now we have taught our kids not to do this, and have gotten rid of most of the metric plates, but u get the idea.

Our platforms are falling apart....

75% of the time we have no AC.....just 1 handing fan.

Oh, and by the way, over the last 3 years we are 39-3....4 district champions...1 state championship....and like 57-5 last 5 years....heck, i cant even remember, but we are pretty good to say the least (not bragging by any means). Just saying we deserve this bigtime.

:squat:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, if u could see our weightroom right now, u would understand. All of our equipment is at least 20 yrs old. Just to name a few of the things that is wrong with our current weightroom...

our incline benches are at least 45 degrees or more...so, we think we are working chest, we are really working our front delts...

Our power racks are absolutely garbage....rusted, bent, unstable to name a few

Our clean bars are rusted, old, screws come out, just really bad.

Our plates are both standard and metric....can u imagine how many times our kids have put both a standard and metric plate on their bars. Now we have taught our kids not to do this, and have gotten rid of most of the metric plates, but u get the idea.

Our platforms are falling apart....

75% of the time we have no AC.....just 1 handing fan.

Oh, and by the way, over the last 3 years we are 39-3....4 district champions...1 state championship....and like 57-5 last 5 years....heck, i cant even remember, but we are pretty good to say the least (not bragging by any means). Just saying we deserve this bigtime.

:squat:

Yeah, my highschool's gym went through a similar transformation between my freshman and sophomore year (we didn't even have power racks pre-transformation).

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
IMO with such little time

BCAA's and carbs are the best.

god I cant imagine downing a protein shake in 100 degree heat then going to practive. even nectar is thin and juicy and id gag

bcaa's and gatorade are it IMO

i mean there are already agatorade containers start dumping bcaa's into it sure it will be bitter but **** when ur thirsty hot and tired. piss would taste good

just a suggestion

i think bcaa's and juice will be the best bet. and have the kids eat something while they train a bannana or soemthing or drink a shake something like homemade xtend during thier workout

**** 3 hr practices wow lol everyday?

bert4332

Awards
There is a fix to this problem

It's called early morning workouts. I played football and rowed crew at the hs & college levels. The crew workouts were 10xtimes that of the football. In crew we had two/day workouts 6 months out of the year. You just need to get their asses in the gym at 0600. I remember putting the boat in the water 0545 and freezing my ass off. The team had meetings to make sure everyone had a ride, a lot of us road in the back of the coaches pickup. Of course the workouts are voluntary/mandatory, that way you don't get jammed. Make arrangements with the cafeteria to have a high protein post meal ready for breakfast.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
that must have been the old days lol

i remmeber riding in teh back of trucks today everyone is a pussy and parents are babies lol

i give u props thread starter, gettin involved in a overlooked aspect of highschool sports. i wish my coaches did the same thing

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
IMO with such little time

BCAA's and carbs are the best.

god I cant imagine downing a protein shake in 100 degree heat then going to practive. even nectar is thin and juicy and id gag

bcaa's and gatorade are it IMO

i mean there are already agatorade containers start dumping bcaa's into it sure it will be bitter but **** when ur thirsty hot and tired. piss would taste good

just a suggestion

i think bcaa's and juice will be the best bet. and have the kids eat something while they train a bannana or soemthing or drink a shake something like homemade xtend during thier workout

**** 3 hr practices wow lol everyday?

Well, i was looking into purchasing CYTOFUSE in bulk (this is hs and NCAA compliant). I am assuming the cytofuse's taste is pretty decent and wouldnt be too harsh on our athlete's stomachs before going to practice. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Also, i began to think, maybe strictly BCAA'S and gatorade powder mixed would be a better option. I would just think our athlete's would need some protein/carb mix....just seems optimal to me. I just dont want anything to be too heavy on our kids stomachs before we practice

Anyone also have black star labs phone # , so maybe i can contact them in terms of my issue.

Finally, does anyone know of a link that talks about PWO nutrition and its' importance. Something that would be very easy to other coaches and athletes to read and understand.

thanks so much

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
msucurt,

Have you PMed theunlikelytoad, or tried posting your question in their subforum?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
My ideas are:
Bananas.
Oats.
Peanuts.
Water.

These are kids, there's no need for protein and certainly not BCAA, these people are still growing, they should have no issues eating enough real food to do that.

Pushing the students to bring there own post workout meal is an idea, getting them into the science, doing there own research, discussing it, planning it them selves... Great habit to form, should not be too hard if they are very competitive.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
My ideas are:
Bananas.
Oats.
Peanuts.
Water.

These are kids, there's no need for protein and certainly not BCAA, these people are still growing, they should have no issues eating enough real food to do that.
sorry man, im gonna have to disagree with u on this. Yes, they are kids, but a body is a body.....after breaking/tearing muscle fibers down for an hour...ur body nees nourishment....ideally in the form of carbs/protein. I think BCAA's could only help here, not hinder

I do agree that we should educate our kids (and we have) for them to bring their own, but we teach and coach in a very low demographic area. The chances of our kids bringing a PWO meal for after weights, is well, far-fetched. Heck, our kids are lucky if they eat 3x/day.....seriously

thanks