BSN Nitrix + Glutamine

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the bottles of Nitrix it says to not take with Glutamine, and to not take more than 10g of glutamine while taking this. The problem i'm having is even just the Syntrax protein drinks alone end up with me taking in 7-8gm of glutamine, without anything else. And add betagen, or really almost any other supplements for that matter, and i'm over the 10gm.

So my questions are -
  • Is the 10gm limit (or the immediate dont take tablet with) important?
  • Is there some other low carb/low fat protein mix that doesn't have 8gm of glutamine in 100gm of proteins?
  • How much glutamine is in "natural" proteins? egg whites, chicken etc
  • Did I make a bonehead choice by buying nitrix before reading the entire label and realizing how much glutamine I take in a day?
  • What other product would you recommend that is along the same lines but that I wont have the glutamine issue with?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I think/ hear that Nitrix is a waste. I think there is a few guys out of the 4-5 forums i have been around that liked it. They were on other things to though so it could have been from that. Should have read the whole thing. I would like to knwo though what the reasoning is for not being able to take Glutamine while on it...? I'm sure there will be a few to chime in. BSN is ok stuff but not to popular around here.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I think the reason is that the main active in Nitrix, arginine, competes with glutamine. So if you over supplement with glutamine, the benefits of Nitrix wouldn't be fully realized. And I do believe that they are only talking about supplemental glutamine in those limitations, not glutamine you would get from regular food sources. I also think there's a good explanation on the BSN website somewhere that I'll try to find.

But in case you're wondering, my overall assessment of Nitrix is that it's a pretty poor and overpriced supplement. I think it's basically just creatine, arginine, and citrulline if I remember right, and I don't really put much faith in the enhanced delvery method that it's supposed to have. But those 3 things I do believe have some supplemental benefit, so you could basically get those 3 ingredients in bulk or individually for much cheaper.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
http://www.bsnonline.net/products/faqs_expanded.php?id=6&cat=Nitrix&upc=834266005048#

Q: I have a protein shake twice a day. It contains 9 grams of glutamic acid. Will this have any negative effect on Nitrix?

A: When tests are run on a protein supplement to determine how much of each amino acid is present, glutamine can end up being converted into glutamic acid and ammonia. The result is that some glutamine shows up as glutamic acid on the label.

If the amino acid profile shown on the label of your protein supplement indicates that 9 grams of glutamic acid is present, only a few grams of that may actually reflect glutamine that was converted into glutamic acid during testing. Therefore, you should be fine. (I use several scoops of Lean Dessert Protein each day and have not had any problems.)

Chris Ferguson is our president and cheif product formulator. In his experiments, he found that adding glutamine to Nitrix "cancelled out" it's effects. Why this occurs has been discussed in several published studies but at this stage is not 100% completely understood within the scientific community. Glutamine may reduce the availability of arginine for nitric oxide (NO) synthesizing enzymes. Thus, when you take a lot of glutamine, less arginine ends up getting converted into NO. For this reason Chris recommeneds limiting your intake of glutamine to 10 grams or less.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! Makes sense. I tried finding it on their site, but I hadn't had any luck. Oh well, I guess its at best partially wasted money (totally wasted at worst). Once i'm done with this 12 week cycle (and for nitrix, this one bottle), i'm going to spend a lot more time deciding on what supplements to take for next time
Welcome.
I don't think it will be a total waste, it's an ok product. But the claims they make are a little wild, so don't expect that it will do everything they say it will. And certainly don't expect that you'll be able to achieve a physique like Ronnie Coleman just by taking BSN products.

To me, Nitrix, just seems like NO Xplode without the caffeine. But I'll say that I've enjoyed NO Xplode as one of the better pre-workout supplements.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Easy, the one thing that you have the remember about any NO product is that they are simply feel-good products. Meaning, you WILL most likely see an increase in energy and even solid pumps, but this will only be beneficial aesthetically.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But the claims they make are a little wild, so don't expect that it will do everything they say it will.
Ah ok, I didn't pick it so much for the claims so much as for the ingredients + lack of ingredients :) I've sort of built my own entire stack that way, based on trying to cover as many of the different nutritional aspects as I can, without going with a prohormone

Meaning, you WILL most likely see an increase in energy and even solid pumps, but this will only be beneficial aesthetically.
Well, i'm thinking that an increase in energy would also be something to help me hit real 10 in intensity on the last set on each body part, which is part of why I decided to add it. I'm also using VPX's NO Shotgun and San's V12 pre-workout (and wheeew what a combo). Part of that is i'm on a low calorie diet (around 1200-1300 a day) to loose weight, so not a ton of carbs or blood sugar in the mornings pre-workout. Not much any time of day really :). I'm still hitting over 200gm of protein a day even with that low calories. Not really healthy long term, but I'm only scheduled to do this for another 8 weeks (been doing it for 4 so far).

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Easy, the one thing that you have the remember about any NO product is that they are simply feel-good products. Meaning, you WILL most likely see an increase in energy and even solid pumps, but this will only be beneficial aesthetically.
Old thread bump, but the Nitrix when I was using it I def noticed a increase in energy. Pumps? Eh not so much.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ohiostate2827 Supplements 12
Nis1 Supplements 9
AaronJP1 Supplement Auction 5
Supplements 6
swoosh Supplements 5