whats the point of maltodextrin

  1. arena
    arena's Avatar

    whats the point of maltodextrin


    considering maltodextrin has a gi index that is over 25% higher than dextrose, whats the point of it. its certaintnly not a complex carb like oatmel.


  2. its a simple carb like sugar
  3. arena
    arena's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
    its a simple carb like sugar
    so then why does everyone reccomend mixing dextose and maltodextrin
    •   
       


  4. its faster absobing in the bloodstream. also note - it is derived from anything starch and technically labeled a complex carb.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by arena View Post
    so then why does everyone reccomend mixing dextose and maltodextrin
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/dextrose.htm

  6. Most people use a high GI sugar like this to spike insulin levels post-workout, allowing for uptake of all the whey, creatine, etc.. I always use a little dextrose with my post-workout shake...

  7. Quote Originally Posted by yourdaddy View Post
    Most people use a high GI sugar like this to spike insulin levels post-workout, allowing for uptake of all the whey, creatine, etc.. I always use a little dextrose with my post-workout shake...
    I like malto after a workout- plus, it makes anything taste sweeter

    Makes for a damn good flow agent/filler as well....
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

  8. People advocate it because other people advocate it. Around gym circles, the plural of anecdote is fact (props to somebody at Avant for that line). If there were any appreciable benefit of it that outweighed the unappealing negatives associated with sharply elevated glucose and insulin (ignoring the fact that amino acids can spike insulin) then people would be able to give you a good reason why you need to mainline high GI sugar into your bloodstream post workout. No one will ever sincerely tell you that they know for a definitive fact that their workouts and results were outstandingly and markedly enhanced because they took a huge dose of high GI sugar post workout instead of something healthy. People act like their workouts went through the roof because they imbibed some sugar that's a 4000 on the GI as opposed to eating PWO what they advocate eating all day long. It's not like you even need that much sugar PWO anyway.

    From a product maker's standpoint, maltodextrin rules because you can pepper your food with it and call it "sugar free," meanwhile people's legs are falling off from diabetes because they ate your lyin' ass food all day long.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by TheCrownedOne View Post
    People advocate it because other people advocate it. Around gym circles, the plural of anecdote is fact (props to somebody at Avant for that line). If there were any appreciable benefit of it that outweighed the unappealing negatives associated with sharply elevated glucose and insulin (ignoring the fact that amino acids can spike insulin) then people would be able to give you a good reason why you need to mainline high GI sugar into your bloodstream post workout. No one will ever sincerely tell you that they know for a definitive fact that their workouts and results were outstandingly and markedly enhanced because they took a huge dose of high GI sugar post workout instead of something healthy. People act like their workouts went through the roof because they imbibed some sugar that's a 4000 on the GI as opposed to eating PWO what they advocate eating all day long. It's not like you even need that much sugar PWO anyway.

    From a product maker's standpoint, maltodextrin rules because you can pepper your food with it and call it "sugar free," meanwhile people's legs are falling off from diabetes because they ate your lyin' ass food all day long.
    I wouldn't say that it put my workouts through the roof- but I do have approx. 100 kg of it in our warehouse- so it is easier and more cost effective for me to utilize as a post-workout carbohydrate- I mix it with my protein- it seems to work real well in the post workout window- but not necessarily "better" than anything else out there- pretty much any type of protein + carb "works" PWO
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

  10. Oh, I know you're right - virtually any carb will work. I was just bloviating about people that talk about it like it's the Old Testament Law - abide or perish

  11. I agree with you, dextrose is not the end all be all same with malto. I am using a keto diet at the moment and dont get any carbs PW and am getting stronger almost every workout. Now when bulking I will take a blend of carbs PW, but I dont think as you said it is written in the Old testament anywhere.

  12. I picked up a 2 lb from NP because it was only $3 lol, but I don't find much difference from my ground oats. Oats + Cocoa Powder + Chococolate Protein = mmmmm good. I sometimes do half my carbs from oats, and half maltodextrin. With that my muscles are super replenished and good to go.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by TheCrownedOne View Post
    Oh, I know you're right - virtually any carb will work. I was just bloviating about people that talk about it like it's the Old Testament Law - abide or perish
    Supplements have "buzz" words just like any other industry- maltodextrin was just another one of them for a while
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  14. arena
    arena's Avatar

    thanks for the help. the reason why i asked this is i felt i was kinda scammed my marketers with the "complex" carb part of it. take cytosport cytogain, has no sugar, but 54 complex carbs.

  15. For the people that believe in a PWO shake with dextrose how much is recomended for an insulin spike.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What's the point of having a contact us section?
    By superbodz in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM
  2. Whats the point of running a prohormone cycles?
    By masterman1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 05:09 PM
  3. What's the point of smoking after a workout?
    By lbarber in forum General Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 11:20 AM
  4. What is the point of bulking? noob question
    By Jcada in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 05:40 PM
  5. whats the % difference of trans vs oral
    By wildwiley35 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Log in
Log in