Looking for that extra kick

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
19 year old girl who does about an hour cardio, maybe 20 minutes weight training a day. Im looking for that extra kick or boost to get the results I want. Im 208 right now...was at 266so weight loss is definitly a goal of mine, but I also want to be toned. Ive been working on my upperbody a lot because with the weight loss my arms got a tad flabby :( so anything to help with strength would be great aswell

Any suggestions?

This is my first post but I love reading everyone elses suggestions and opinions so I figured Id give it a shot :)

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
- Diet plan?
- What does your 1 hour cardio consist of?

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
diet consists of no more then 1200 cals

ff milk with cup of corn flakes
nothing over 6 grams of sugar
chicken, salad, smart ones usually for dinner

Im more of a calorie counter then anything else

as for workout:

usually 30 on stationary bike at hill intervals with high resistance

another 30 on eliptical at high incline and high resistance

as for weights I do upper and lower body but lately mostly upper cause I play soccer a lot and my legs are already a tad to big due to muscle

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Maybe add in a cup or two of green tea or take green tea extract. This would be a good and healthy start. The benefits of green tea are numerous and can help increase your metabolism which will help you tone up.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I honestly hope some people come on here and give you some help. I don't know the most about womens training but form the few I have helped lose wieght I've learned a few things.

First, we really need to know did you bring on this wieght or have you eaten right and played soccer and still been this heavy?

- I ask because I believe MOST people cause their own wieght gain but looking at your age and your wieght it is very possible you have a thyroid deficiency. I hate to even suggest this because WAAAAAY to many people will take this excuse if they can. Please, go to a doctor and have them test your thyroid.

Second, you don't eat enough.

- This is the number one challenge women face. Women assume eating less will make you lose wieght - THIS IS NOT TRUE - Right now you are in what we call starvation mode; your body is shutting down its metabolism and telling you to burn lean mass and store fat because it is not getting enough calories and is scared you are starving. That being said, you were very over wieght and still are so you can't help but loose wieght from eating like this at first BUT now that you have slowed down it means your bosy has caught onto your game, always remember: Your body have millions of years of training on how to survive, it's up to you to stay ahead of it! You need to have someone give you a higher calorie diet. I STRONGLY suggest you contact one of the expert trainers on this forum including BOBO, Gavin Kane or Grunt76. They are not free to work with but you WILL get your money worth and save over getting a personal trainer in a gym while getting a MUCH better education on how to live a healthy life and look GREAT.

Third, thier are diet supplements you can take but considering how high your wieght still is please see my advice above about the trainers and your eating, it very well could change your life for good.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
i havent been active all my life...I just started soccer a few months ago but it definitly has gotten me in better shape.

i do feel like im at that plateu...so maybe a trainer would be a good idea, thanks.

still though, can anyone think of a supplement that may help

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
i havent been active all my life...I just started soccer a few months ago but it definitly has gotten me in better shape.

i do feel like im at that plateu...so maybe a trainer would be a good idea, thanks.

still though, can anyone think of a supplement that may help
Still sounds like you need to get your diet in order. 1200 calories at 206? Might not be enough if you are active playing soccer and training.

You should look at "The Metabolism Advantage" by John Berardi

As far as supplements, get you some fish oil, and shoot for 6-8grams per day.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
ive lost 60 some odd pounds by cutting to 1200...is there a website that tells you how much you should aim for?

and what does fish oil do for you? im sorry, im ignorant to all of this stuff lol

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
ive lost 60 some odd pounds by cutting to 1200...is there a website that tells you how much you should aim for?

and what does fish oil do for you? im sorry, im ignorant to all of this stuff lol
Well, the more weight you have to lose the easier it will come off, and now you have plateaued. I am sure you metabolism could use a boost.

To determine how many calories you shouldbe taking, you need to determine your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is the amount of calories you would burn if no activity is preformed.

for women here is the formula:
BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.7 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age)

Now you need to determine your Activity Level Factor to determine your Daily Energy Expenditure (DEE):
1.0 - Sedentary, doing nothing all day

1.2 - Very light activity, Working a desk job or on a computer and not performing any type of physical activity during your day.

1.4 - Light activity, non-physical job (desk, computer, etc.) but performing some sort of physical activity during the day (e.g. above average walking) but no hard training.

1.6 - Moderate activity - non-physical job, performing some sort of physical activity during the day, and including a daily workout session in your routine.

1.8 - High activity, training plus a physical job or non-physical job and twice-a-day training sessions.

2.0 - Extreme activity, a very physical job and daily hard training.

BMR x Activity Level Factor = DEE;

Once you determine your DEE then if your goal is to lose weight which it is, you would want to consume 70-80% of your DEE and then adjust accoredingly.

In addition, you want to eat every 2-3 hours a day.

Some of the benefits of Fish Oil:

• Decreased systemic inflammation (thus possibly warding of heart disease, asthma, arthritis, macular degeneration, and a host of other diseases or maladies).

• Significant decreases in levels of body fat through increased insulin sensitivity and increased metabolism. (This increased insulin sensitivity may also prevent Type II diabetes.)

• Decreased muscle soreness.

• Decreased incidence of tendonitis.

• The possible destruction of existing cancer cells, in addition to possibly thwarting metastasis.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
First of all, you've made excellent progress, and I hope you recognize that and don't get discouraged.

There's some good suggestions here, like tea to help boost metabolism. I would also agree that you may be eating much too less for your goals and you're body may have stopped taking from fat stores and instead keep them around because it thinks you're starving. Also, even though you've lost 60 pounds with a 1200 calorie diet, do you know how much of it was muscle mass? I know I was extremely calorie deficient for a month or two a few years ago and lost a lot of weight, but also know that I sacrificed some weight that's beneficial to have around.

Supplement Suggestions
I suggest you try to focus on improving your diet and training before looking into a supplement, because unless you get those two things right, I expect you'll be disappointed with the supplement. But if you really would like to add something to your current routine right away, I recommend tea, or grapefruit with caffeine. Let me know if your on any medications, though, because grapefruit can cause problems with that. Basically the grapefruit with enhance and prolong the effects that caffeine will have on fat metabolism. L-carnitine will also help to metabolize fat better and you can get it pretty cheap.

Training Suggestions
I think the cardio is a little excessive and maybe too intense for best fat loss. A good pace for cardio with the goal being fat loss is probably a power-walk or light jog pace, at least in my case. This would be around 130-145 bpm heart rate I think if you have access to that. More fat will be mobilized for energy use at this less intense pace, and while intensity increases so does the amount of energy you will use from more immediate glycogen stores of energy found in your muscles. 45-60 minutes like this everyday should still be alright. And you could probably increase the weight training if you do this to 30 minutes no more than 5 times per week.

Diet Advice
I'd say you should eat more. 6 meals a day with at least 2 hours between them. This helps to keep metabolism high. From the calorie calculators and such that you can find online it looks like you could get away with close to 3000 calories per day. But since you're actively trying to lose weight, I would say 2400-2500 would be more acceptable.

Now for what to eat. I'd try to focus on keeping insulin levels balanced, which means minimal sugars like it looks like you've been doing. Low glycemic index carbohydrates should be the only ones you eat right now. And in fact, overall low carbohydrate diets I've found to be good for fat loss provided you follow some rules.

1) Most carbs should come from fibrous vegetables or fruit.
2) Always eat fat with carbs to slow the digestion down so there's less impact on insulin.
3) Don't eat protein and carbs alone without fat, as this will have a bad effect on insulin.
4) Every few days allow yourself to have one good meal with a lot of fat and lot of good carbs (oatmeal/sweet potato), but no protein.
5) Protein and fat can (should) be high on a low carb diet in order to meet calorie requirements.

In case you're wondering where a lot of those ideas are from it's
CUT DIET.COM
which is a good read. I've adopted many of those strategies in the last 11 weeks and had good results. Lost 30 pounds total, only 2-3 not from fat. Only thing is that the training outlined in that book might not apply to you.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
First of all, you've made excellent progress, and I hope you recognize that and don't get discouraged.

Supplement Suggestions
...or grapefruit with caffeine. Let me know if your on any medications, though, because grapefruit can cause problems with that. Basically the grapefruit with enhance and prolong the effects that caffeine will have on fat metabolism. L-carnitine will also help to metabolize fat better and you can get it pretty cheap.
Good post bro.

Yes the enzyme cytochem p-450 in grapefruit will metabolize certain chemicals, which enhances them and prolongs the effects. And Grapefruit will also help with Insulin management, by increasing insulin resistance.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
thanks guys. I'll definitly look for the fish oil and green tea tablets.

Im scared about eating over 1200 calories but I trust you all know more about it then me so I will attempt to up that slowly but surely.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
oh and thank you bitterplacebo. Ive been insecure and overweight all my life and its been quite a battle to get myself motivated and actually follow through with the weight loss. Thanks for the nice message

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Im scared about eating over 1200 calories but I trust you all know more about it then me so I will attempt to up that slowly but surely.
1200 calories worked for a while because you were so overwieght your body simply HAD to lose something. You were at a point that it lost mostly fat but some muscle too I am sure. If you keep it up not only will you no longer lose fat but you may keep fat while losing muscle and making your body look worse overall. When you start eating more you may gain a little bit of muscle if you are working out properly but dont worry, you wont get muscles you will just look better. Overall what you are doing now is not a long term solution and you need to get your calories up from healthy foods. Also if you consider a trainer, I am sure at your age money isn't something you have to burn so if you know the basics of how to lift and do cardio then you can go with one of the online trainers on here who will know more and cost less than a personal trainer. If you don't know proper weight lifting form then you need to get a few sessions with a personal trainer who can show you the right way to do different movements. either way you will learn the basics you need for what will be a life long journey. Since you haven't been blessed with a tiny figure but want to get yourself healthy and feel better you need to learn how to do things right so you can continue to do so for the rest of your life.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established

Yes, I think slowly would be a good idea so you don't overload your system. If you find yourself gaining weight, it's good to have a way to check that it's not body fat also, skinfold calipers are a cheap easy way to do this. So if you can weight and the reading on the caliper hasn't changed, it's fine because it's either water, food being digested, or muscle!

I don't have much experience with increasing calories from such a deficient diet, but hopefully you'll find that you don't put on fat from the process. Try not to worry if there's a little because once you reach a consistent intake, the body will adjust to it and fat storage will level off (unless you're stuffing yourself with sugars). That's when then continued training, supplementation, and minor decreases in the diet will start working again.

Look into the L-carnitine also, I just got some of the bulk powder today from nutraplanet for 8 dollars. That with caffeine or green tee before cardio can do some good stuff.

Just never stop learning, never stop trying, and step back once in a while to look at what you've done and can now do, and you'll have all the motivation you need and eventually be secure with yourself. I promise.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rome wasn't built in a day, was it? Anyhow, I just wanted to chime in and tell you to take everything in stride. Too often, people will cut WAAAAAY too many calories too quickly. What happens is their body's metabolism drops tremendously, in an attempt to account for the immense energy deficit. They'll lose a great deal of weight, but the route of weightloss was too rapid and unstable. With the diet being too difficult to maintain, the dieter eventually "comes off" the diet, and gains pretty much all the weight back. Your weight and appearance are a reflection of your diet, activity level, and lifestyle.

The important thing is to take this in stride, by setting boundaries and making small ,yet maintainable, adjustments to your diet and lifestyle until you get to the level you want :).

I am only saying this because 1200kcal per day, with 80 minutes of daily exercise, sounds like overkill. In fact, this sounds like it could be (or develop into) a case of bulimia or anorexia.

Can you give us a sample meal plan for your typical day? Please give foods, quantities, and approximate times.

csunkramer

csunkramer

Awards
alrighty

7am - cup of corn flakes, cup of ff milk

9 - 100 calorie pack

2 - lean cuisine or smart one (usually with chicken in it)

5- 100 cal pack/ frozen sf ff pudding

lots and lots of water throughout the day, along with lots of gum lol

and i never eat after 7. sometimes i'll drive a diet soda during the day but rare

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
alrighty

9 - 100 calorie pack

and i never eat after 7. sometimes i'll drive a diet soda during the day but rare
So basically, you're eating 1 600kcal meal, 1 200 kcal meal, and 2 100kcal meals? In other words, over half of you total daily calories are consumed in 1 sitting (in the middle of the afternoon). And the other 2 meals are miniscule amounts of junk food?

By no means am I trying to judge you or your proposed diet, but if you post back any sort of excuse, I want you to ask yourself this: who are you trying to convince?

I applaud you on the progress you've made thus far. But let's try and advance past the concept of how many calories per day, and start looking at calories right now. Here's an example of what I am getting at:
We have 3 people, each eating a restricted calorie diet of 2000 Calories per day:

Person 1: Eats 6 balanced meals per day, each containing about 300-400 Calories

Person 2: Eats 1 low-fat, low sugar meal per day at 8 am. 2000 Calories.

Person 3: Eats 6 meals per day, 70% of his intake is eaten at breakfast and dinner. For lunch he enjoys a small salad and a cookie.

Based on their diets, which person do you think is healtier/ healthier-looking?

live4fitness

live4fitness

Awards
So basically, you're eating 1 600kcal meal, 1 200 kcal meal, and 2 100kcal meals? In other words, over half of you total daily calories are consumed in 1 sitting (in the middle of the afternoon). And the other 2 meals are miniscule amounts of junk food?

By no means am I trying to judge you or your proposed diet, but if you post back any sort of excuse, I want you to ask yourself this: who are you trying to convince?

I applaud you on the progress you've made thus far. But let's try and advance past the concept of how many calories per day, and start looking at calories right now. Here's an example of what I am getting at:
We have 3 people, each eating a restricted calorie diet of 2000 Calories per day:

Person 1: Eats 6 balanced meals per day, each containing about 300-400 Calories

Person 2: Eats 1 low-fat, low sugar meal per day at 8 am. 2000 Calories.

Person 3: Eats 6 meals per day, 70% of his intake is eaten at breakfast and dinner. For lunch he enjoys a small salad and a cookie.

Based on their diets, which person do you think is healtier/ healthier-looking?
I like the way you put that :)

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Young women are the HARDEST people to get onto a healthy path. The girl I am seeing asked her doctor for a water pill and he gave her a MONTH worth of laxis. Also her friends want her to go on Adipex aka phentermine aka presciption speed. Now, this girl is not heavy, maybe 10 pounds from rail thin but it proves a point that women trying to lose wieght can easily surpass men in terms of unhealthy habits.

If you listen to the diet advice we are giving you and get a personal trainer to show you the proper form on exersizes (it is hard to pick a trainer so try to find one who doesn't make you do rediculous wierd movements AND one who doesn't give you sales preasure - a good trainer doesn't need your business they just want to help you) and then once you know the right way to diet and workout, get an online trainer to give you a plan that you will now understand with your new knowledge

Don't get discouraged, you have made good progress and have done the right thing by coming on here. Many people here know their stuff, look up amazondoll or fitnfirm on here. Send them a PM and ask them to look at your thread. They are very knowledgable women who have made this their lifestyle and I am sure they can give you a tip or two to do the same.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Young women are the HARDEST people to get onto a healthy path. The girl I am seeing asked her doctor for a water pill and he gave her a MONTH worth of laxis. Also her friends want her to go on Adipex aka phentermine aka presciption speed. Now, this girl is not heavy, maybe 10 pounds from rail thin but it proves a point that women trying to lose wieght can easily surpass men in terms of unhealthy habits.

If you listen to the diet advice we are giving you and get a personal trainer to show you the proper form on exersizes (it is hard to pick a trainer so try to find one who doesn't make you do rediculous wierd movements AND one who doesn't give you sales preasure - a good trainer doesn't need your business they just want to help you) and then once you know the right way to diet and workout, get an online trainer to give you a plan that you will now understand with your new knowledge

Don't get discouraged, you have made good progress and have done the right thing by coming on here. Many people here know their stuff, look up amazondoll or fitnfirm on here. Send them a PM and ask them to look at your thread. They are very knowledgable women who have made this their lifestyle and I am sure they can give you a tip or two to do the same.
I've worked with older women before, and they are just as hard on themselves. The key is to teach them control: don't kill yourself, but don't overidulge.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
alrighty

9 - 100 calorie pack

You need to ditch the corn flakes, they have a GI rating of 81, which is bad. A GI of >70is high, a GI of 56 between 69 is medium, and a GI of < 55 is low.

These 100 calorie packs, are these so called breakfast bars and the like, correct? Once again, not a good idea. They probably have a high GI as well. Plus, you wanted to stay away from proccessed foods.

But as most suggested, you need to make a lifestyle change.