*THE Beta-Alanine, Carnosine Thread, Brought to you by ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION*

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established

Anabolic Minds community, there are a few threads on Beta-Alanine spread through out AM, but no single source of information showing the full picture on what Beta-Alanine is and how it works. In response, we would like to make things easier for the AM community and offer a single comprehensive thread on Beta-Alanine. This thread will be a place where anyone can come to learn more about how Beta-Alanine works and the science behind it. This thread, is open to any discussion related to Beta-Alanine and we are always happy to try our best to answer any related questions. When ever you see our logo at the top of the post,the following post will be a summarized topic.

So lets start with the basics and see where this goes.
:cheers:

Benefits of Beta-Alanine as supported by Scientific Studies

Increases:
Lean body mass (LBM)
Total work done (TWD)
Power output (PO)
Time to exhaustion (TTE)
Aerobic endurance
Intramuscular carnosine concentrations, increasing buffering capacity

Delays:
The onset of fatigue at physical working capacity/fatigue threshold (PWCft)
Ventilary threshold (VT)
Lactate threshold (LT)

History of Beta-Alanine

Although only recently brought to the forefront, Beta Alanine was discovered over 100 years ago. Also known as 3-aminopropanoic acid, it is a non-essential amino acid and is the only naturally occurring beta-amino acid. Not to be confused with L- Alanine, Beta- Alanine is classified as a non-proteinogenic amino acid as it is not used in the building of proteins and enzymes.

The greatest natural dietary sources of Beta-Alanine are believed to be obtained through ingesting the beta-alanine containing dipeptides: carnosine, anserine and balenine, rather than directly ingesting Beta-Alanine. These dipeptides are commonly found in protein rich foods such as chicken, beef, pork and fish. However, obtaining Beta-Alanine through these dipeptides is not the only way, as our bodies can synthesize it in the liver from the catabolism of pyrimidine nucleotides which are broken down into uracil and thymine and then metabolized into Beta-Alanine and B-aminoisobutyrate. Of course, it can also be ingested through direct supplementation.

Recently (2003), researchers began studying Beta-Alanine and examining its effects on exercise performance and lean muscle mass. We owe a great deal of credit and respect to the scientists who are in the trenches doing the work and publishing the research on Beta-Alanine. If it wasn’t for them, great supplements like Beta-Alanine and creatine might never have seen the light of day. Their ongoing research has revealed how to properly use these compounds and how to safely and effectively maximize their benefits.

One of the key scientists pioneering the performance research on Beta-Alanine is Dr. Roger Harris. His name may or may not sound familiar, but it should, as he is the same man that changed sports nutrition with his groundbreaking creatine study in 1992. It looks like the good doctor has found another juggernaut of a supplement in Beta-Alanine.

However, he is not alone. In the last two years, highly respected research scientist Dr.Jeffrey Stout has been in a frenzy publishing and compiling research on Beta-Alanine and doesn’t look to be slowing down any time soon. Other notable researchers who have been publishing research on Beta-Alanine include: Dr. Hill, Dr. Kim and Dr. Tallon.

How Does Beta-Alanine Work?

The support of high caliber researchers speaks volumes about the efficacy of Beta-Alanine and the science itself is even more impressive

Much of Beta-Alanine’s effects are realized by boosting the synthesis of carnosine, a dipeptide (two amino acids) intracellular (inside the cell) buffer. To understand how Beta-Alanine works, you must first understand its connection to carnosine. It is by boosting carnosine levels that Beta-Alanine exerts its outstanding performance benefits.

History and Background of Carnosine

The Russian scientist Gulewitsch was the first to identify carnosine in 1900. Eleven years later, he would discover and identify its constituent amino acids, beta-alanine and histidine. Seven years later, Barger and Tutin and Baumann and Ingvaldsen confirmed Gulewitsch’s findings. However, it wasn’t until 1938 that the first research on carnosine and its effects on muscle buffering were published.

Carnosine is found in both type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers, though in significantly higher concentrations in type 2 fibers (the fibers we primarily use in high intensity strength workouts and which are most responsive to growth). Before we discuss how carnosine works, you must first have a general understanding of what is physiologically occurring during exercise. Specifically, what is negatively affecting muscular pH, making us weaker and causing fatigue?

Hydrogen ions are released during exercise, causing performance to plummet.

When we exercise, especially when it’s high intensity exercise, our bodies accumulate a large amount of hydrogen ions (H+), causing our muscles’ pH to drop (become more acidic). This process is occurring whether you feel a burn or not.

The breakdown of ATP and the subsequent rise in H+ concentrations occur in all of our energy systems but H+ buildup is most prevalent in an energy system called glycolysis, which also produces lactic acid. At physiological pH, lactic acid dissociates H+ and is the primary source of released H+ ions during exercise, causing pH to drop. It is the released H+ from lactic acid that causes muscular performance problems, not the leftover lactate ions as many incorrectly believe. While lactic acid is the primary source of released H+, it is not the only source. H+ ions are also being released at a rapid rate when you break down the high energy compound ATP during exercise. With the presence of many sources during energy production releasing H+, pH quickly drops as does muscular performance, slowing progress and lean muscle gains.

While muscle acidity has certainly proven to decrease strength and contribute to muscular fatigue, new research is now showing that exercise-induced intracellular free radical production is another source of muscular fatigue. The combination of muscular acidity and increased free radical production greatly diminishes your performance during exercise, stopping your workouts cold and interfering with lean muscle gains.

Much more to come....

:djparty:

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
yes, thanks for posting this!
i read some of the other Beta Alnine threads. couldn't get a difinitive understanding on if it is benefitial to cycle BA (something like 3 months on - 1 off)?? maybe there is not enough research yet.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Nice post, sticky worthy.
Thank you for the kind words, but this is just the tip of a VERY large iceberg. :)

MUCH, MUCH more to come. We will trickle the information out slowly, so as to not to overwhelm the reader. :type:

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established

How Does Carnosine Work?

There are a handful of ways carnosine is thought to impact performance but its most studied function, and the focus of this article, is its role as an intracellular buffer. Carnosine helps stabilize muscular pH by soaking up hydrogen ions (H+) that are released at an accelerated rate during exercise.

Our bodies work to keep our pH in balance by utilizing various buffering systems. Buffers largely work by soaking up H+ to maintain optimal pH balance, which we need to function most effectively. As mentioned above, our muscles function best in a specific pH range. When pH drops below that range, so does muscular performance. By helping to keep us in a more optimal pH range, our muscles can continue to contract forcibly for a longer time.

There are a handful of buffering systems that work in our bodies. Some maintain pH in extra cellular fluids (ECF) outside of the cell, while others perform their duties in intracellular fluids (ICF) inside the cell and some perform in both. Our focus in this article is on exercise performance and, as mentioned above, the primary source of H+ released during exercise is from lactic acid and ATP breakdown. Take a guess where this breakdown and release of H+ is occurring? If you guessed inside our muscles or intracellular, you would be correct. As a result, the first line of defense in absorbing the H+ is going to be the cell from intracellular buffers such as carnosine, not from extra cellular buffers.

Aside from carnosine being just where we need it, buffering H+ inside our cells, it has additional, unique attributes that make it really shine. Carnosine is unique; in that, other natural buffering systems our bodies use are also used in many other cellular reactions aside from buffering, watering down much of their buffering abilities. However, what makes carnosine really exciting, is that by supplementing with extra Beta-Alanine, we can specifically and dramatically increase carnosine levels. How much, you ask?

Researchers have shown that when supplementing with Beta-Alanine for just 4 weeks, we can increase our carnosine concentration by 42-65%. Longer Beta-Alanine studies going up to 10-12 weeks, show carnosine concentrations increased up to 80%. This is a tremendous increase in an already powerful intracellular buffer. It is this large increase in buffering capacity within our muscles that is largely responsible for the strength, lean muscle, power and muscular endurance gains that researchers are seeing from Beta-Alanine studies.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Beta-Alanine cycling

yes, thanks for posting this!
i read some of the other Beta Alnine threads. couldn't get a difinitive understanding on if it is benefitial to cycle BA (something like 3 months on - 1 off)?? maybe there is not enough research yet.
Our pleasure, we actually have an enormous thread on our product IntraXCell and Beta-Alanine over at bb.com, that has been viewed over 13,000 times. That thread is the largest source of information on Beta-Alanine on the internet and covers a ton of the science/info and feedback. We were fortunate enough to have Dr.Tallon, who has his pHD in carnosine metabolism jump in and debate the science with us. He brought a ton of valuble information into that thread, as he has published research studies on Beta-Alanine.

The problem with that thread, is it has gotten so large, it takes a while to get through all of it. Also much of the information is scattered thoughout it, making it a little hard to follow at times.

We learned alot from that thread and look to make this one MUCH better and easier to navigate through and find the information you are looking for. :)

Regarding your question on cycling, here is our response.

The longest performance studies on BA, are in the 10-12 week range,with CARN levels continuing to increase up to 80% by week 12 as do performance improvements. There really haven't been any performance studies that go longer than 12 weeks, so it hard to know if there will be anymore benefit to taking BA beyond that point. At this point, based on the research we recommend anyone interested in maximizing IntraXCell/Beta-Alanine's benefits, to go on atleast a three month cycle.

If future research shows that BA can keep on increasing CARN levels beyond 12 weeks, we will update our recommendations.

Having said that, studies show BA to be EXTREMELY safe and many blood biochemical, hematological and hormonal markers have been looked at with no negative impact at all by BA supplementation. I don't see any harm in staying on BA continuously if you so chose. Even if BA doesn't increase CARN levels beyond the 12 week mark, simply staying on it to maintain those levels, performance benefits and vascularity is enough of a reason for me to stay on it continuously. Also the fact that I have a life time supply doesn't hurt either.:)

For people on a budget that can't stay on BA continuously, we recommend 3 month cycles with 2-4 weeks off in between them.

In Summary:

1. For people who can afford and want to stay on BA/IntraXCell all the time, there is nothing in the research at this point that says you can't. Maybe when longer studies are done on BA, BA will show performance improvements past 12 weeks, or maybe continued supplementation will just maintain CARN levels/performance. Or maybe it wont show either and in fact we should go off BA periodically. Until than, we stick to our recommendations of atleast three months of continued use of BA/IntraXCell and than leave the cycle frequency up to the user and what best fits their needs.

2. For people that can't afford to stay on BA/IntraXCell continuously, we recommend you try and go on it for atleast 12 weeks as the research support performance improvements, atleast up to the 12 week mark. We also recommend to cycle off it for 2-4 weeks, from a partly scientific standpoint and a partly customer value standpoint.

Relevant thread below, that also touches on the taurine Q. You will see my posts in there.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/60507-should-one-cycle.html

addijhaq

addijhaq

Awards
lactic acid has it's benefits... but in large amts or even when the amts are not neutralized/dimished... muscle wasting occurs.

from what i've read alanine acutally increases the buffer capacity of the muscle cells. basically keeping lactic acid from breaking the muscle down...

this is the main reason why aas users can run lo cal diet/ high cardio sessions, because the ability to synthesize muscle from proteins is increased.

but at an obvious physiological/pyschological/legal safety advantage, alanine can promote natural growth through other methods of muscle preservation.

people tend to not realize that it's not just the decreased test levels that cause a drop in muscle mass after a cycle, it's the onset of stress and it's hormonal and biological counterparts that also cause the breakdown of muscle. the sheer amount of high intensity training cannot be endured without some sort of un natural muscle preservation during such unnatural weight being lifted... so it's not just the test.. all of the acids and oxidation that takes place causes high levels of cell damage that aren't able to be kept under control... without continual substance abuse...

so utilizing something that's non steroidal and extremely beneficial, like alanine will not only help to increase muscle mass at our body's own natural capability, and help to neutralize alot of chemical stress from intensive exercise. this helps the lbm to be maintained after discontinued usage of alanine.

lactic acid also triggers the onset of muscle soreness and cramps. alleviating these tensions by decreasing it's buildup is also beneficial. it's not eliminating it, as it's just not beneficial to rid the body completely of it, but it helps to prolongate it's onset and also keeps the levels low enough to only be used to trigger those specific biological mechanisms that tell our body to start the process of cellular repair and nutrient utilization.

... i think. haha.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Look at this as constructive criticism. :cheers:

lactic acid has it's benefits... but in large amts or even when the amts are not neutralized/dimished... muscle wasting occurs.
Nope, lactic acid is always being produced, even at rest. During exercise when large amounts are being produced, it still doesn't have this effect. Lactic acid, breaks down and releases hydrogen ion(H+) than becoming lactate ion. The lactate ion is than used as fuel by the muscles and actually MAY be the preferred fuel in heart muscle. I really hope it doesn't cause muscle wasting there. ;)

Aside from it being used as fuel directly, it also is used to manufacture glycogen which in tern can be used as fuel.

from what i've read alanine acutally increases the buffer capacity of the muscle cells. basically keeping lactic acid from breaking the muscle down...
You are correct that Beta-Alanine increases CARN which is a buffer inside our muscle, but read my posts above on how it works on the H+ component, not the lactate ion. It is an issue of H+ causing pH to drop, which interferes with the muscular contraction process as well as causing fatigue. Not Muscle breakdown.

but at an obvious physiological/pyschological/legal safety advantage, alanine can promote natural growth through other methods of muscle preservation.
Again, remember the growth/LBM from Beta-Alanine, comes from its ability to allow us to lift more weight for more reps, thereby overloading our muscle to a greater degree which in tern causes muscle GROWTH. :bb2:

so utilizing something that's non steroidal and extremely beneficial, like alanine will not only help to increase muscle mass at our body's own natural capability, and help to neutralize alot of chemical stress from intensive exercise. this helps the lbm to be maintained after discontinued usage of alanine.
Just to be clear Beta-Alanine is VERY different than Alanine.

lactic acid also triggers the onset of muscle soreness and cramps. alleviating these tensions by decreasing it's buildup is also beneficial. it's not eliminating it, as it's just not beneficial to rid the body completely of it, but it helps to prolongate it's onset and also keeps the levels low enough to only be used to trigger those specific biological mechanisms that tell our body to start the process of cellular repair and nutrient utilization.

... i think. haha.
No it has been pretty well established that lactic acid DOES NOT cause muscle soreness(DOMS)

While exercise induced DOMS is not fully understood, we know that lactic acid doesn't cause it. One likely contributing cause of DOMS, is micro tears in the muscle fibers, causing an inflammatory response. There are many other factors that are believed to be largely responsible in contributing to DOMS, but again lactic acid is not one of them!
:head:

addijhaq

addijhaq

Awards
see, i'm now smarter and wiser... that cleared up a lot.

i have this thing for lactic acid apparently i should just give up on it. and kick the ****er in the balls who kept plugging into my head. i think it was my 8th grade gym teacher.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
see, i'm now smarter and wiser... that cleared up a lot.

i have this thing for lactic acid apparently i should just give up on it. and kick the ****er in the balls who kept plugging into my head. i think it was my 8th grade gym teacher.
Lactic acid is fascinating stuff actually, just very misunderstood by many, including teachers. It used to be looked at as a dead end product of metabolism, boy has that changed. :) We now know, that it is a crucial step in allowing energy pathways to continue as well as that lactate directly and indirectly being used as fuel and MUCH more.

Don't give up, just pick up a physiology/biochem book and dig in!

addijhaq

addijhaq

Awards
ya, i'm gettin there. hahaah. i'm a premed major and last time i've touched a bio book was 11th grade... i'm going to take cell bio next semester and then taking human phys the following. i'm quite rusty right now, but once i read it i'll retain it. so far so good in regards to maintaing my goals.

thanks for being so damn helpful. it really is wonderful to find someone willing to just continually help.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
ya, i'm gettin there. hahaah. i'm a premed major and last time i've touched a bio book was 11th grade... i'm going to take cell bio next semester and then taking human phys the following. i'm quite rusty right now, but once i read it i'll retain it. so far so good in regards to maintaing my goals.

thanks for being so damn helpful. it really is wonderful to find someone willing to just continually help.
Nice, tough path you have chosen. In a very short time you will NOT be rusty on any of this at all. Probably wont be able to get it out of you head..lol :cheers:

It's really my pleasure, we know the science behind out products and will always do our best to answer Q's and post useful info.

Here's a cut a past response of mine from another forum, very relevant to our lactic acid discussion and Beta-Alanine.

The relevant issue is not that we are not making enough LA, it's the overproduction during exercise.

You seem to have some physiology confused. Less lactic acid production(pertaining to exercise) does not mean less ATP, unless you want to assume high intensity exercise,while ignoring the ATP-PC system and aerobic energy pathways that manufacture ATP. Supplementing with creatine is an easy example of increasing ATP stores within the ATP-PC system, allowing us to maintain contractions longer, delaying the emphasis of glycolysis and potentially lactic acid production(dependent on ex intensity). Another VERY simple example, is the training effect from exercise, which increases the efficiency of our energy pathways, which also lead to LESS lactic acid accumulation but MORE ATP production.

Also, you make it sound as though lactic acid drives/controls glycolysis and the generation of ATP, it does not. Exercise intensity, epinephrine, PFK-1,LDH, PDH..ect..ect do!

While lactic acid is always being produced, even at rest, it's its over production and our bodies inability to clear it fast enough that causes problems. But again, it is NOT lactic acid as a whole, that causes the problems, it is the H+ that it releases, NOT the left over lactate ion when can be reused to make glucose ect...

When glycolysis is cranking along so fast and the H+ shuttles,NAD and FAD which combine with H+ to form NADH and FADH, can no logger shuttle H+ out fast enough. The excess H+ will combine with pyruvic acid to form lactic acid, in tern freeing up the NADH to be converted back to NAD, allowing it to shuttle out H+ again at a faster rate. So, lactic acids primary reason for formation, is to recycle NADH back to NAD as well as when it becomes lactate to be used as fuel and act as a precursor for gluconeogenesis.

Again, you are not feeling pain from lactic acid, you are feeling pain from the H+ that are causing pH to drop(acidosis). The drop in pH is thought to stimulate pain receptors.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
**Is Beta-Alanine safe?**

Is Beta-Alanine safe?

While this is not a frequently asked question, it should be. We understand many people care most about gaining muscle, looking great and performing at their best but safety should not be overlooked. We believe it should actually be the first question asked when considering a new supplement, even before you question efficacy.

The answer to the safety question is a resounding YES. Studies, going up to 12 weeks of continued Beta-Alanine use, have looked at a large array of blood biochemical, hematological and hormonal markers and no negative changes have occurred whatsoever. While it is impossible to say Beta-Alanine is one hundred percent safe until longer term studies are complete, we do know that up to 12 weeks of continued Beta-Alanine supplementation is indeed safe.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Why not just take Carnosine instead of Beta-Alanine?

When you ingest carnosine intact, most of it is broken down in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract into its constituent amino acids, beta-alanine and histidine. Some intact carnosine does escape the GI tract freely but even that amount is quickly broken down in our blood by the enzyme carnosinase. In a very short time, all the carnosine you just ingested is either eliminated or broken down into beta-alanine and histidine. These two amino acids are then taken into the muscle, where they are converted back into carnosine with the help of the enzyme carnosine synthetase.

Unfortunately, only about 40% of the carnosine you take actually contains beta-alanine, making it an inefficient source at best. You are better off, from both efficiency and a financial standpoint, taking Beta-Alanine directly. You would have to take substantially more carnosine just to approach the increased concentrations of carnosine achieved by taking the scientifically recommended dose of Beta-Alanine. Clearly, taking Beta-Alanine is the superior solution to increasing carnosine levels.:smite:

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
How do we know Beta-Alanine is actually increasing carnosine levels?

Researchers have proven it by actually taking muscle biopsies (using a hollow needle to remove a small sample of muscle tissue) prior to the study and at various time points throughout the study. What they found is that Beta-Alanine does, in fact, effectively and significantly increase carnosine concentrations in the range of 42-80%, depending on the dosing and duration of the study.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Shouldn’t I take extra histidine along with Beta-Alanine since histidine is a component of carnosine?

No. Histidine is already present in high concentrations in muscle, while Beta-Alanine is only present only in small amounts. Researchers have determined that it is beta-alanine that drives carnosine synthesis, not histidine. Since this has been proven repeatedly in research, there is no need to supplement with extra histidine to increase carnosine levels. There are potentially some select populations like vegans, vegetarians or the elderly that may not get enough histidine in their diets and are thus deficient, which may compromise optimal carnosine levels. But, we still don’t recommend taking just extra histidine with Beta-Alanine. Instead, we recommend these groups and simply bump up their total protein intake which will in turn solve their possible histidine deficiency. For the majority of healthy people, only Beta –Alanine is needed as histidine deficiency is rare and no extra supplementation is needed to increase carnosine concentrations.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
At what point during my workout set will extra carnosine concentrations exert their strongest effects?

Boosting carnosine levels with Beta-Alanine is effective at all points during your set, whether you’re lifting heavy or doing endurance work. Your body uses three energy systems to perform work: the ATP-PC system, which is primarily used during heavy lifting and for sets up into the 5-6 rep range; the glycolytic system, which is predominantly used roughly within the 7-15 rep range and up; and the oxidative/fat system, which is used primarily in endurance training. Our energy systems are utilized simultaneously; however, depending on the level of intensity or duration of exercise and fitness levels of the individual, certain energy systems will become more dominant in producing energy needed for that activity. Anybody who trains with weights will primarily use the first two systems and, in both cases, the build-up of hydrogen ions will contribute to fatigue in both systems, especially glycolysis.

This is where the supplement creatine falls a little short. It is mostly effective in the ATP-PC system, which relies on stored ATP and re-synthesis using phosphocreatine (PC) for intense, high-energy contractions. Taking creatine will help your explosive strength but it won’t help you much in the 7-15 rep range. As anyone trying to build bigger muscles knows, you must train in both heavy and moderate (7-15 reps) ranges to gain lean mass. Beta-Alanine, by increasing carnosine concentrations, can buffer/fight the H+ build-up that occurs in both these ranges, allowing you to maintain forceful contractions for longer periods of time.

Decreasing cellular fatigue is an additional strength of Beta-Alanine. A recent study demonstrates that Beta-Alanine significantly outperformed creatine in decreasing cellular fatigue, giving it yet another advantage over what has been considered the most effective sport supplement of the last decade.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Does Beta-Alanine replace creatine?

Beta-Alanine does not replace creatine. As shown above, they work differently and creatine is still effective for maximizing strength and power. If anything, they should be taken together as the ultimate one-two punch.

tattoopierced1

what kind of dosage should one take to see maximum effect?

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
How much Beta-Alanine is needed to cause performance increases?

Research has shown that you can take an amount between 3.2 grams and 6.4 grams per day to significantly boost carnosine levels and improve performance. The most recent research, now using 4-5 grams a day, is showing comparable carnosine concentration and performance improvements to those using 6.4 g daily.

Basically, in the fist month the higher dose of 6.4g will increase CARN concentrations at a faster rate, but once you get into month 2,3 and beyond, CARN concentrations even out when comparing 6.4 vs 4-5g's a day. 3.2g works, but probably isn't optimal. We look at the 6.4g dose as a loading dose, that can be used for 2-4 weeks if you need the performance benefits as fast possible,but after that, 6.4g really makes no difference over 4-5g's

Mickfootie

Mickfootie

Awards
  • Established
Back on IXL as from today........ :)
2 caps 3 times a day as the 3 caps serving gives me high prickles. But will be getting the same dosage throughout the day........

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Back on IXL as from today........ :)
2 caps 3 times a day as the 3 caps serving gives me high prickles. But will be getting the same dosage throughout the day........
Yeah, exactly, you can split it up how ever you want it, as long as you get the full 6 caps a day.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Did this text come from MD magazine or vice versa?

Also, can beta alanine be useful without sugar to help shuttle the stuff into the cells?

Regards,
R

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Did this text come from MD magazine or vice versa?

Also, can beta alanine be useful without sugar to help shuttle the stuff into the cells?

Regards,
R
Yes, I wrote it originally for MD. When the current issue of MD is off the newsstands, I will post the full article in MD's format. In the mean time, I figured it would be beneficial to post excerpts on the forums, for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read the full article.

Oh yes, Beta-Alanine regardless of carbs will get into your cells and boost carnosine concentrations significantly. Carbs simply speed up the process.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Who can benefit from Beta-Alanine?

1 Individuals participating in weight training looking to gain lean muscle mass and increase strength.
2 Any individual involved in athletic activities where strength, power and muscular endurance are needed.
3 Active individuals who have reached a training plateau and are looking for a supplement to take them to the next level

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Is there any info around how beta-alanine carnosine effects workout body temperature, it may be the Steeledge but i have been super warm and sweating like crazy, ideal for hard injury free workouts.

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
Is there any info around how beta-alanine carnosine effects workout body temperature, it may be the Steeledge but i have been super warm and sweating like crazy, ideal for hard injury free workouts.
That has been reported by most of our IntraXCell testers. If I remember correctly, there is no research to support a rise in body temp.......but I will check.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
That's a very good question and one I don't have the answer for as of yet. I know every time I take IXL I sweat more, I just don't know why specifically. I've been meaning to look further into it, I'll see what I can dig up.

At last years ISSN conference I asked that EXACT question to none other than the pioneer of Beta-Alanine performance research, Dr.Harris. He told me they weren't seeing increases in temperature. There is something going on though in regards to sweating and I will see what I can come up with.

BTW, I thought of you today, regarding a new project we have in the works. :dance:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
So this must mean Athletic Edge has a Beta Alanine supp coming out?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah dude its here now at the planet called IntraXcell

IntraXcell (180 caps) By Athletic Edge

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 3 capsules
Servings per Container: 60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol Acetate) 15 IU
50%
2XCell Blend™:
-(Beta-Alanine (2g), N-Acetyl L-Cysteine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid) 2,201mg **

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
** Percent Daily Values not established.

INGREDIENTS: Gelatin, cellulose, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, FD&C blue #2.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established

No, we have had our Beta-Alanine supplement IntraXCell out for over a year now. We have many IntraXCell/Beta-Alanine threads on many forums, but we thought we would do something different with this one. This thread is specific to the science of Beta-Alanine and separate from our product. It's intended for people to have a place to go and learn about Beta-Alanine.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
No, we have had our Beta-Alanine supplement IntraXCell out for over a year now. We have many IntraXCell/Beta-Alanine threads on many forums, but we thought we would do something different with this one. This thread is specific to the science of Beta-Alanine and separate from our product. It's intended for people to have a place to go and learn about Beta-Alanine.
Oh my bad bro. I'm trying to keep up with all the supps!

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Oh my bad bro. I'm trying to keep up with all the supps!
LOL, I hear you, it can get pretty overwhelming at times. :)

IntraXCell was the first capsule Beta-Alanine product in the world.
It was actually the first dedicated Beta-Alanine product out there,that didn't use a handful of other ingredients along with the Beta-Alanine, such CM or creatine.

BTW, if you have a chance, check out our five page Beta-Alanine article in this months issue of Muscular Development.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
How long will it take to start noticing benefits?

Performance benefits typically occur in as little as two weeks, although some individuals will notice benefits within one week. As carnosine levels increase, the benefits will follow. The most dramatic results are generally experienced within the 3-4 week range but they don’t stop there. Recent research is now showing carnosine levels continue to increase for a minimum of 12 weeks which is why we recommend staying on Beta-Alanine for at least three months to optimize your carnosine levels.

Immediate benefits: Many users experience intense vasodilation/pumps from the very first dose of Beta-Alanine. This experience occurs because Beta-Alanine increases carnosine and carnosine is a powerful precursor in generating nitric oxide synthase (a group of enzymes necessary for making the powerful vasodilator nitric oxide).

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
How long will it take to start noticing benefits?

Performance benefits typically occur in as little as two weeks, although some individuals will notice benefits within one week. As carnosine levels increase, the benefits will follow. The most dramatic results are generally experienced within the 3-4 week range but they don’t stop there. Recent research is now showing carnosine levels continue to increase for a minimum of 12 weeks which is why we recommend staying on Beta-Alanine for at least three months to optimize your carnosine levels.

Immediate benefits: Many users experience intense vasodilation/pumps from the very first dose of Beta-Alanine. This experience occurs because Beta-Alanine increases carnosine and carnosine is a powerful precursor in generating nitric oxide synthase (a group of enzymes necessary for making the powerful vasodilator nitric oxide).
I almost accussed BA of being a contributor to my high BP, until I read vasodilation. I looked it up, nitric oxide is my friend. I'm going to buy a case of this stuff.

Spiraling high blood pressure linked to nitric oxide deficiency

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
I almost accussed BA of being a contributor to my high BP, until I read vasodilation. I looked it up, nitric oxide is my friend. I'm going to buy a case of this stuff.

Spiraling high blood pressure linked to nitric oxide deficiency

Much like creatine, there are MANY legit health/medical applications for Beta-Alanine that go far and beyond exercise performance.

It's one of the best ingredients you could take for general health, regardless of the exercise performance benefits. We focus on the exercise performance benefits, as that alone is a huge topic that still isn't well understood by many and is most relevant to the the forum crowds we interact with. Other topics on beta-alanine and carnosine that are particularly impressive are on neuroprotection, neurodegenerative diseses, autism..ect.ect :clap2:

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Are there any methods that may increase beta-alanine’s ability to increase carnosine levels?

Yes. A recent study showed that a group of subjects taking Beta-Alanine with carbohydrates increased performance gains in half the time of the group taking an equal amount of beta-alanine without carbohydrates. Carbohydrates spike insulin and one of insulin’s effects is to increase amino acid (such as beta-alanine) transport into our cells.
While not research supported as of yet, taking Beta-Alanine pre-workout and post-workout may increase the uptake of Beta-Alanine into our muscles. Amino acid nutrient timing studies have clearly shown, when amino acids are ingested Pre-Workout and Post-Workout, their rate of uptake into our muscle is increased. The improved uptake is largely due to increased blood flow during exercise.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
What is the prickling I feel when I first take Beta-Alanine?

The prickling - called parathesia - is caused by beta-alanine binding to nerve receptors, activating them and causing them to discharge/fire. Many of these nerves are below the skin, giving a prickling/pins-and-needles sensation. This sensation begins approximately 15-20 minutes after ingesting beta-alanine and usually continues for 1-1.5 hours. The intensity varies depending on dosing, individual sensitivity and potentially from activators of Ca2+ channels, such as caffeine. This sensation, though generally enjoyed, often subsides over a few weeks of continued use. Carbohydrates/food may also blunt the prickling effect from beta-alanine.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
If I don’t feel the prickling does that mean beta alanine isn’t working on me?

The prickling sensation does not occur at all in some individuals, even when taking 4-6 grams of beta-alanine at one time. Do not worry if you are in this group. The prickling is NOT a sign that beta-alanine is working or being absorbed by your muscles and converted to carnosine. If you are feeling nothing, you need not be concerned as it is still increasing your carnosine stores as research has repeatedly shown.

A good example of this phenomenon is when combining carbohydrates with beta-alanine. Not only do carbohydrates blunt much of the prickling sensations, they also increase beta-alanine's performance gains faster than beta-alanine without carbohydrates.

Another good example is comparing studies that measure carnosine concentrations using multiple small 800 mg doses of beta-alanine vs. studies using multiple doses of 1.6 g of beta-alanine. The total daily amount of beta-alanine ingested is similar and the duration of the studies using both dosage strategies is matched up as well. 800 mg is low enough to cause little to no prickling, based off feedback from both research and anecdotal, where as 1.6 g can cause quite a lot. The outcome of both studies showed carnosine concentrations were very similar.

We have an exciting announcement on Monday. :)

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
LOL, I hear you, it can get pretty overwhelming at times. :)

IntraXCell was the first capsule Beta-Alanine product in the world.
It was actually the first dedicated Beta-Alanine product out there,that didn't use a handful of other ingredients along with the Beta-Alanine, such CM or creatine.

BTW, if you have a chance, check out our five page Beta-Alanine article in this months issue of Muscular Development.
I just read this article last night in MD now i come on here and see this..............it must be love.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Good article, very informative. I'll most likely give your product a try in the next month or two when i finish using my current stash of creatyine.

I'm in London by the way.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Is taking taurine at the same time as beta-alanine going to stop beta-alanine from boosting carnosine and performance levels?

While there is certainly potential for problems when taking these two together (they share the same transporter into tissues), it hasn’t yet been supported in the research to any level of significance. In fact, a recent study by Dr. Harris, showed that the increase in muscle carnosine with beta-alanine was NOT reduced when taurine was taken along with it. Also, everyone bare in mind, CARN is concentrated much higher in Type 2 muscle fibers, while taurine is in much higher concentrations in Type 1. further limiting their competition issues related to muscle performance.

We could get into the biochemistry of why taking taurine with beta-alanine may not seem like a good idea but we have a more simple and conclusive explanation just in case you wanted more proof to support Dr. Harris’s study. Since there is a group of studies that used either beta-alanine by itself or beta-alanine with taurine, we examined them to determine if there were any differences in the resulting carnosine concentrations. While more research is always needed, there are quite a few beta-alanine vs. beta-alanine plus taurine studies, and their outcomes are all the same. There is little to no difference in carnosine concentrations. In other words, taurine does not inhibit beta-alanine from being absorbed to any level of significance, otherwise carnosine levels would have been lower in the beta-alanine plus taurine studies.

That concludes our summary, please feel free to jump in with any questions. We will continuously update this thread as more research and information comes out on Beta-Alanine

:type:

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Rationale for taking beta-alanine pre&postWO timing.

While, we have explained within this thread and others, why we suggest to take advantage of the pre&postWO windows on training days whenever possible. Here is a more detailed explanation from a post of mine in a recent thread, as many are giving advice that there is no reason/benefit in taking beta-alanine, pre&postWO. They are wrong. :)

We do not suggest pre&postWO beta-alanine ingestion for acute performance benefits, but for the purpose of increased delivery and increased intramuscular uptake. That's not to say, there aren't possible acute benefits from pre&postWO timing of BA, but at this time there is no support one way or the other. There is however amino acid pre&postWO nutrient timing studies, that can be used as support for the rationale of suggesting BA taken pre&postWO.

The reasoning on why we have always suggested taking BA, Pre&PostWO, is actually very simple and it should make sense to anyone familiar with nutrient timing amino acid or creatine studies. In a nutshell, our body's greatly increase the delivery and uptake of amino acids/creatine ect, when taken Pre/PostWO, largely due to exercise induced increased blood flow . Beta-Alanine is an amino acid and its rate of uptake is HIGHLY likely to be increased when taken pre/postWO. We will likely also see some other benefits when taking BA pre/post, but that's for another time. ;)

You don't have to take beta-alanine, pre/postWO(especially if you find the prickling bothersome during your workout) and the most important thing is to take it everyday, regardless of timing. But when ever possible, we will always suggest, you take advantage of the pre&postWO windows of opportunity for increased BA uptake and reap the benefits from BA as fast as possible.

We have also, always recommended BA be taken with carbs when ever possible for both uptake reasons as well as blunting the prickling sensation if you find it bothersome. The reason is, a beta-alanine study, comparing beta-alanine to beta-alanine+carbs, showed the group using Beta-alanine+carbs, had equivalent performance gains in HALF the time as the beta-alanine only group in the first month. This quite significant, especially for someone looking to get the benefits from beta-alanine as fast as possible.

Neither of these recommendations are musts, but taking advantage of the combination, should greatly increase BA uptake and bring on the performance benefits much faster, especially in the first month.

None of us, have to take advantage of nutrient timing science, be it with creatine,beta-alanine, protein/carb shakes ect. But if you are looking to maximize most of your supplements absorption and get the positive effects as fast as possible, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to take advantage of these windows of opportunity.