X-Factor users.... stay away from melatonin.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
From what I've gathered, the entire premise behind X-Factor is the up-regulation of PGF2 alpha, in response to high-intensity exercise.... thereby enhancing skeletal muscle development.

Apparently.... melatonin has been shown (in vivo) to significantly inhibit PGF2 formation.

Melatonin effect on arachidonic acid metabolism to cyclooxygenase derivatives in human platelets

Abstract: The effect of melatonin on thrombin-induced [3H]-arachidonic acid (AA) metabolism to cyclooxygenase derivatives was determined in platelets obtained from normal volunteers at 0830 and 2030 h. Percent conversion of radioactive AA was generally greater at 2030 h than at 0830 h for every cyclooxygenase derivative analyzed. Micromolar or greater concentrations of melatonin decreased significantly the conversion of [3H]-AA to prostaglandin (PG) F2 and thromboxane (Tx) B2, and inhibited slightly the conversion to PGE2 and PGD2. After preincubation of platelets with 1 mM imidazole, the melatonin inhibitory effect was significant for PGF2 only. Melatonin (106 M) showed a significant inhibitory influence on platelet ATP release induced by phorbol-12 myristate-13 acetate (PMA) at 2030 h, an effect inhibited by 1 mM aspirin. These results indicate that at pharmacological concentrations melatonin inhibits human platelet cyclooxygenase.

Blackwell Synergy - J Pineal Res, Volume 11 Issue 3-4 Page 111 - October 1991 (Article Abstract)

Kavinsky

Kavinsky

Awards
Arr. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first bottle of x-factor and have been taking melatonin most nights.

Has anyone else supplemented melatonin and still ahd good results from x-factor?

Have I screwed up a significant portion of my x-factor gains? :(

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will definitely keep this in mind for when I run X-Factor. Thanks for the info!

ctrivedi

Awards
Arr. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first bottle of x-factor and have been taking melatonin most nights.

Has anyone else supplemented melatonin and still ahd good results from x-factor?

I was taking melatonin when I first started my XF cycle (37 days ago) - I stopped about 10 days into it and noticed substantially greater DOMS immediately -- today I live in perpetual pain - but I love it (cuz I'm just like that). As an aside, I was 166 when I started XF and today I'm 178 (but I should note that I severely ramped up my caloric intake, stopped taking cissus & fish oil, set alarms 7 hours apart to dose, cycled back onto cee 8 days ago, sleep at least 9 hours a night, stopped drinking 3 months ago, and a whole bunch of other sh!t that are tried and true methods of lean mass gaining... oh, and I still have abs :D... but I also run 12 miles every 6th day). Good luck!

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established

i have and have been geting results - but haven't been on xfacgtor and melatoninless to have something to compare against. guess i'll be stopping it now.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
so melatonin can act as an anti-inflammatory as well?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about L-trytophan which indirectly effects melatonin, correct?

fitnecise

Awards
I think NO HYPE just means around the workout ;)

Melatonin of course being on a diurnal pattern higher in the night and low during the day- you are going to have reduced AA conversion during sleep whether you supplement or not.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No hype if your get this please clarify if its around the same dosing protocol.

Just like Nac and Vit C taken together cause slight muscle catabolism. I saw the study on Pubmed.
Not a major thing or anything and nothing to lose sleep over.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I think NO HYPE just means around the workout ;)

Melatonin of course being on a diurnal pattern higher in the night and low during the day- you are going to have reduced AA conversion during sleep whether you supplement or not.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Wow no hype and fitnecise...whats going on here? :)

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I will talk to Bill about that see if it would have any effect.

I am at day 26 and just woke up SORE AS HELL and I really am hesitant to take some melatonin. According to what I have read, it is best to stay away during the cycle.

If you have trouble sleeping on XF, I suggest you dose earlier in the day.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
But fitnecise the diurnal fluctuations of endogenous melatonin is something you don't really want to or possibly can modulate.

It's more the supplemental exogenous would be of higher amount than endogenous and would be distributed more systemically as well.