Localized Berberine Application

Jim Sadler

Awards
I finally got around to trying something I've been thinking about for a while... dissolving some berberine hcl in a benzyl alcohol solution for localized application. My thinking was that I don't want the effects of elevated AMPk chronically and system-wide, but it would be desirable to achieve chronically elevated AMPk locally -- in the midsection, for example.

The problem is it's like fluorescent yellow paint. I tested it on my foot first, and the discoloration does fade, but it takes a while. Predictably, it made my midsection as yellow as a banana after one application, and it took two days to fade. With repeated applications you would have discoloration continuously.

The stuff's actually so much like paint that I had to dispose of the container I used to dissolve the berberine in, because I was never going to get it clean again.

Anyhow... I'm sorry I can't report effectiveness. It did seem to elevate the temperature at the site of application.

I thought I'd post this as a warning to some, and maybe as encouragement to brave others -- it's feasible to brew such a solution, just be prepared for the side effect.

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
Interesting idea, I wonder what it would take to make it not so paint like.

Great innovation! Ideas like this is where great things come from.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Agreed - great idea (apart from the whole yellow thing - sounds like it would come from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory).

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I seriously doubt it's staying localized if you're just using benzyl alcohol.

Jim Sadler

Awards
I seriously doubt it's staying localized if you're just using benzyl alcohol.
No, it was a crude local solution using 2 oz benzyl alcohol and 2 oz Dermabolics carrier. I dissolved 3g berberine hcl in the benzyl, then added the Dermabolics carrier.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh ok. Dermabolics got their transdermal technology from a very good source, so you're in good hands. ;)

FYI777

Awards
I finally got around to trying something I've been thinking about for a while... dissolving some berberine hcl in a benzyl alcohol solution for localized application. My thinking was that I don't want the effects of elevated AMPk chronically and system-wide, but it would be desirable to achieve chronically elevated AMPk locally -- in the midsection, for example.

The problem is it's like fluorescent yellow paint. I tested it on my foot first, and the discoloration does fade, but it takes a while. Predictably, it made my midsection as yellow as a banana after one application, and it took two days to fade. With repeated applications you would have discoloration continuously.

The stuff's actually so much like paint that I had to dispose of the container I used to dissolve the berberine in, because I was never going to get it clean again.

Anyhow... I'm sorry I can't report effectiveness. It did seem to elevate the temperature at the site of application.

I thought I'd post this as a warning to some, and maybe as encouragement to brave others -- it's feasible to brew such a solution, just be prepared for the side effect.
anybody know if this is the same cAMP elevation seen with forskolin?Noticed he spelled it with a k(AMPk)