Odd Question about empty stomach

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know generally 2-3 hours after eating food its digesting and it should be fine to take supps that need to be consumed on an empty stomach.

What I am curious about is if your burping up the taste of the foods you ate 2-3 hours later does this mean you still have food in your stomach that might interfere with the supps absorption.

I thought about this after eating one of the campbells chunky soups and was burping it up 2.5 hours later

Thanks

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
It completely depends on the foods. Some exit the stomach fairly quickly (within an hour), while others may still remain in the stomach many hours later.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid food tends to empty at a much slower rate then most liquid foods. For peace of mind, just remember that the gastric emptying is caused my smooth muscle relaxation at the pyloric sphincter, and is stimulated by distention felt at the atrium of the stomach. It tends to function as an on-off approach, which means that when food emptys into the atrium and distends, the smooth muscles relax and opens the pyloric sphincter allow tiny squirts of food to empty into the intestines. The sphincter then closes and the whole digested process continues until the whole meal is churned and moved, which depending upon your meal size could be anywhere from an hour to a few, as the emptying is only taken place a few squirts at a time. So, even after 2-3 hours of digestion you could still have residual food left over.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Solid food tends to empty at a much slower rate then most liquid foods. For peace of mind, just remember that the gastric emptying is caused my smooth muscle relaxation at the pyloric sphincter, and is stimulated by distention felt at the atrium of the stomach. It tends to function as an on-off approach, which means that when food emptys into the atrium and distends, the smooth muscles relax and opens the pyloric sphincter allow tiny squirts of food to empty into the intestines. The sphincter then closes and the whole digested process continues until the whole meal is churned and moved, which depending upon your meal size could be anywhere from an hour to a few, as the emptying is only taken place a few squirts at a time. So, even after 2-3 hours of digestion you could still have residual food left over.
Good post man. I guess a bodybuilder never has an empty stomach. For example, a lot of USP's products have to be consumed on an empty stomach to maximize absorption. I just take em 15-30 minutes before a meal. I guess it's the best time, since the only time it's empty is when waking up..

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, pretty much with a bodybuilders lifestyle there is always food in the gut. Dosing 15-30 min before a meal is the ideal way to get less food interference with any type of supplement that needs an empty stomach. So I guess you could say that there will always be "some interference", just not as much if you time it right.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, pretty much with a bodybuilders lifestyle there is always food in the gut. Dosing 15-30 min before a meal is the ideal way to get less food interference with any type of supplement that needs an empty stomach. So I guess you could say that there will always be "some interference", just not as much if you time it right.
Exactly.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Good thread, good answer, thanks and repped!

I've wondered about that myself; it happened just today. lol

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to prld2gr8ns again.

thanks for the awesome in depth response, I just got a flash back 3 years ago when I was taking human physiology

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
so what about thyroid med which need to be taken up to 3 times per day on an empty stomach?what is the method of absorbsion of liquid t3? liver?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The same routine would apply, first thing in the morning, and as far apart from meals as possible. I believe thyroid horomone is a hydrophilic horomone, since it's a precursor of tyrosine. In that case, absorption would occur thru the intestines into the portal vein of the liver, then delivery to the circulatory system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Beau General Chat 34
rascal14 Supplements 26
Supplements 5
bigrobbierob Supplements 1
Whacked Anabolics 31