1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Post Supplementing with folic acid may improve cognitive function

January 24, 2007

Supplementing with folic acid may improve cognitive function

Readers of What's Hot will recall a recent article published on January 3 of this year which summarized the finding of Jane Durga of Wageningen University in the Netherlands and her colleagues that supplementing with folic acid for three years helped slow age-related hearing loss. In the January 20, 2007 issue of The Lancet, Dr Durga's team now reports that folic acid also improves cognitive function in older adults.

Eight hundred eighteen participants in the Folic Acid and Carotid Intima-media Thickness (FACIT) trial were assigned to 800 micrograms per day folic acid or a placebo for three years. Participants were limited to those whose total homocysteine levels were at least 13 and no greater than 26 micromoles per liter. The subjects were tested for memory, sensorimotor speed, complex speed, information processing speed, and word fluency at the beginning of the study and at its conclusion.

Serum folate was increased by 576 percent and plasma total homocysteine was 26 percent lower at the end of the study among participants who received folic acid compared to the placebo group. Of the cognitive function criteria tested, memory, information processing speed and sensorimotor speed were significantly better among those who received the vitamin.

In an accompanying editorial entitled, "Is dietary folate too low?", Martha Clare Morris and Christine C Tangney of Rush University observed that the low folate levels evident in the Dutch study population were below those of the Netherlands' RDA of 300 micrograms per day. "Many individuals within populations have folate intakes that might be suboptimum for physiological function," they write. "Our knowledge about the physiological importance of homocysteine is limited, as is our definition of inadequate folate status. To make more informed dietary recommendations for optimum folate intake, we need randomised trials that take the approach of the FACIT trial."

2. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Cool article, folic acid might become the next neurotropic down the road. I just wished they would mention the age of the trail group who underwent the study. The one done for hearing loss was age related(makes me believe the population used was a little older), so was the study for cognitive improvement done with the same type of population sample or what?
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns
    Cool article, folic acid might become the next neurotropic down the road. I just wished they would mention the age of the trail group who underwent the study. The one done for hearing loss was age related(makes me believe the population used was a little older), so was the study for cognitive improvement done with the same type of population sample or what?
    Sorry, they charge to read the whole article. I don't know.
    •   

4. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I know(wasn't directing it at you YR).... I was just stating a fact about most abstracts that I read. Everything, especially research and articles, are all about money now days.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

FA is so under rated it's almost sad. It was one of the first things I ever took that got my depression under control. The RDA is set far far too low IMO. I take a custom mixed antioxidant that I made which has about 7 mg of FA per dose. Studies done on humans taking 150,000 mcg per day showed no ill effects but it will be a while before the FDA revises anything.
  6. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.95%

I don't think I ever told you Bioman. Based on your earlier recommendations, I started taking 3200mcg/day (have since backed it off to 1600/day). That was in November, and I haven't had a problem with depression since (knock on wood). I can't prove that it was the cure, but I'm a believer. The good news is, it's cheap.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Glad to hear it, Moyer. It's so cheap and good for you that it's always my first recommendation for depression and mood disorders. Even if it doesn't totally take care of the problem, it's a step in the right direction.

Along the same lines of "cheap and extremely good"..I've been looking more and more into iodine supplementation. Day 4 of high dose (2-5 mg) iodine supplementation and I am feeling really laid back and good. I'll start a thread on it when I can come to more of a real conclusion lol.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
  2. Folic Acid Supplements Found to Lower Stroke Risk
    By yeahright in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 05:28 PM
  5. Folic Acid May Prevent Progression to Laryngeal Cancer