STUDY: Cissus aids weight loss

1. Registered User
    Answers

Post STUDY: Cissus aids weight loss

The use of a Cissus quadrangularis formulation in the management of weight loss and metabolic syndrome

Author(s): Oben J; Kuate D; Agbor G; Momo C; Talla X
    Author's Address: Department of Biochemistry, University of Yaoundé I, Yaoundé, Cameroon. juliusoben@hotmail.com

Source: Lipids In Health And Disease [Lipids Health Dis] 2006; Vol. 5, pp. 24

Abstract: AIM: Once considered a problem of developed countries, obesity and obesity-related complications (such as metabolic syndrome) are rapidly spreading around the globe. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the use of a Cissus quadrangularis formulation in the management of metabolic syndrome, particularly weight loss and central obesity. METHODS: The study was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled design involving 123 overweight and obese persons (47.2% male; 52.8% female; ages 19-50). The 92 obese (BMI >30) participants were randomized into three groups; placebo, formulation/no diet, and formulation/diet (2100-2200 calories/day). The 31 overweight participants (BMI = 25-29) formed a fourth (no diet) treatment group. All participants received two daily doses of the formulation or placebo and remained on a normal or calorie-controlled diet for 8 weeks.

RESULTS: At the end of the trial period, statistically significant net reductions in weight and central obesity, as well as in fasting blood glucose, total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, triglycerides, and C-reactive protein were observed in participants who received the formulation, regardless of diet.

CONCLUSION: Cissus quadrangularis formulation appears to be useful in the management of weight loss and metabolic syndrome.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Well this proves my two month exp.. USP's! cissus is still the most impressive supp I've used
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Nice..I didn't notice significant weight loss on this product, but next time, I'll measure to see if it makes a difference.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Answers
  5. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Interesting read, it's just bothersome that the product "Cylaris" is a cissus matrix product that also contains caffiene, green tea, and b-vitamins. So cissus's effects on metabolic syndrome solo would really be hard to gauge from the study. Still it's interesting though.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns
    Interesting read, it's just bothersome that the product "Cylaris" is a cissus matrix product that also contains caffiene, green tea, and b-vitamins. So cissus's effects on metabolic syndrome solo would really be hard to gauge from the study. Still it's interesting though.

My sentiments exactly.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
  2. Study on Cocoa and Weight Loss.
    By HereToStudy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
  3. Suppressing Estrogen aides weight loss?
    By bigbeef in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
  4. Berberine Aids in Insulin Sensitivity and Weight Loss
    By yeahright in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 01:29 PM