Advil Pre-workout

heavyduty

heavyduty

Awards
For the past couple months my rotator cuff has been bothering me slowly getting better and I know lifting isn't helping it. I am doing stretching with a physical thyrapist and she is kinda aginst heavy lifting but i am very carefull with all my lifts and my shoulder has been having no effect with my lifting progression. Here is my question I have been taking advil pre workout and was wondering if it is have any positive or negative effects in bodybuilding and weightlifting thanks

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Theoretically, since Advil is a COX-2 inhibitor, it wold block the Arachidonic Acid cascade (see X-Factor's excellent writeup for mode of action). Most studies show that things like advil DO block exercise induced muscle growth.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DHA & EPA are a much better alternative to Pharmaceutical NSAIDs.

If you are taking advil for an analgesic effect, you might perhaps try some cissus; it's anagesic effect has been fantabulous to me.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
DHA & EPA are a much better alternative to Pharmaceutical NSAIDs.

If you are taking advil for an analgesic effect, you might perhaps try some cissus; it's anagesic effect has been fantabulous to me.
Second the cissus. Destroyed my small shoulder pain in a few weeks, gave a good pump, and a few pounds too! I was Superdosing with Symmetry awhile back. Cissus is very good.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I concurr with the cissus route. also helped me to use one of those icy hot adhesive bandages during w/o.

canadianrookie

canadianrookie

Awards
Theoretically, since Advil is a COX-2 inhibitor, it wold block the Arachidonic Acid cascade (see X-Factor's excellent writeup for mode of action). Most studies show that things like advil DO block exercise induced muscle growth.

So advil = ineffective muscle growth?
eep!:jaw:

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Yeah when I started taking some after twisting my elbow (dumbell chest press w/o a spotter), I stopped gaining muscle. I wasn't really getting enough sleep, but up until I started using ibuprofen for the elbow pain, i was seeing okay gains even with the lack of sleep.

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't the study done on Advil and muscle growth with 600mg's and up a day?
One dose of Advil contains 200mg's right?
So one Advil before workout may not be too bad, I have no clue where that right up on Advil and muscle growth is though...

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah when I started taking some after twisting my elbow (dumbell chest press w/o a spotter), I stopped gaining muscle. I wasn't really getting enough sleep, but up until I started using ibuprofen for the elbow pain, i was seeing okay gains even with the lack of sleep.
You can't blame it all on Advil man. It won't stop gains, but slow down inflammation, which is really important to mention. Lack of sleep, will result in lack of intensity, and motivation, so I would say that all of these elements will make your gains slow down big time. Lack of sleep result in a catabolic state, and overtraining...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wasn't the study done on Advil and muscle growth with 600mg's and up a day?
One dose of Advil contains 200mg's right?
So one Advil before workout may not be too bad, I have no clue where that right up on Advil and muscle growth is though...

Advil is designed to reduce production of prostraglandins by inhibiting cyclooxygenase enzymes 1 and 2. Prostraglandins are used by the body to build muscle. The major otc compounds which lower prostraglandins through this action are: Aspirin, Ibubrofen (Motrin, Advil, etc), and Naxopren (alieve).

Is taking one tablet every once and a while (or daily for short runs) going to make you stop your hopes and dreams of gaining more muscle? Probably not. It's just 'the principle of the matter', like how some people will drive and a few extra blocks to save a penny on a gallon of gas.

heavyduty

heavyduty

Awards
:sad: omg i am so pissed off now, I don't know why I didnt even put 2 and to together if it reduces infamation it make perfect sense to inhibit muscle growth im so stupid. I have increased strenth all around so maybe its not to bad but im def stoping the advils, im glad I brought it up. thanks guys

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
I've found that Ibuprofin does inhibit gains... which is a real bummer for me, considering i suffer from rediculous migranes. One thing i have noted though, is that taking hawthorne berry in a relatively large dose tends to help a lot with headaches, and other little pains... probably blood pressure related, but just thought i'd share.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All in all, COX inhibitors are ok once in a while, but chronically, your gains will most likely suffer.

FYI777

Awards
Also Advil can cause bleeding ulcers, thus negatively effecting your muscle gains for sure. Using sparingly in moderation would be prudent and safer.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also can cause other organ issues if used excessively/chronically. Especially if taken with other drugs/supps that stress your liver.

heavyduty

heavyduty

Awards
Also can cause other organ issues if used excessively/chronically. Especially if taken with other drugs/supps that stress your liver.
Man the negatives keep rolling in, I can't beleive I'v been popping about 12 tabs a week, makes me sick to the stomach

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Man the negatives keep rolling in, I can't beleive I'v been popping about 12 tabs a week, makes me sick to the stomach
Just think of the growth explosion that you will experience when you break your addiction :D

What up Philly!

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
question on this...any pain-reliever i can take for a headache that wont effect muscle gain?

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
question on this...any pain-reliever i can take for a headache that wont effect muscle gain?
For the occasional headache, a normal dose of any OTC painkiller shouldnt be a concern.

Ive seen discussion on Fish Oil maybe having this same effect since its anti-inflammatory, but the end was that Fish Oil has so many benefits and such little impact on the muscle growth cascade, that it would be dumb to stop taking it.

FYI777

Awards
Omega 3 fatty acids probably help muscle growth, not hinder them. This is FOOD!!! and good,quality food.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
You hit the nail on the head...know what your putting into your body and how it reacts to other drugs and supplements you may be taking already...

Workin

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
so then we should deduce. . . .

that its best not to use advil on a strict bodybuilding program?

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
that its best not to use advil on a strict bodybuilding program?
Occasional use is ok, like for a headache, or an occasional strained muscle, but constant use because of sore joints would lead to slower gains, but not eliminate them.

Id recommend some combination of joint forumla / cissus / Omega 3's as a first line against common pains we lifting types get.