8 Simple Rules To Not Sounding Like an Idiot

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before starting threads, asking certain questions, or making up statements in your posts, there are several things that need to be taken into consideration to sound somewhat intelligible.

1) Prescendence. There's a menu bar at the top of the page. The fourth link from the right (8th from the left) says "Search". Click on it, and a seach field will drop down. Fill in key words on your topic where it says "search forums" and click on the button that says "Go". Chances are the topic you were looking for has already been discussed and/or researched.

It's definitely redundant, and often annoying to post questions with prescedence, especially the millions of threads asking "Which creatine is better?"

2) Citations, Hearsay, and Specifity I know a lot of you do not have a scientific background, but it is important to realize that there is a difference between a citation, hearsay, and simply saying a supplement 'works'. Here are a few ground rules:

-1- Citations trump hearsay. By a citation, I am refering to a set of experimental data collected by professionals. By hearsay, I am talking about everything else you've ever heard about a supplement. Hearsay is not common knowledge, hearsay is gossip, and gossip is rarely ever true. There's a big difference between a research abstract off pubmed and your cousin billy saying No-Xplode is the bomb.

-2- When making claims based on an experience you've had with a supplement, it is a better idea to explain your experience, rather than drawing conclusions from your experience.

Example: Johnny took T-boost5000XL by Crappy Company thesinner Just Made Up. While he took it, he felt an increase in appetite and libido, and was able squat 10lbs more than last week. Based on this experience, he says "I took it for 3 caps a day, and it totally upped my test levels."

What's wrong with this statement is that he drew conclusions from his experience. 1st off, an increase in libido and appetite are non-quantifiable terms. What's wrong with this? It is simple to say that 2 is an increase from 1, but since there is nothing to base your libido on, you don't have a reference point to base such an increase on. Another thing wrong with an increase of libido and appetite is the fact that they can be caused by routes other than testosterone, one of which is psycosomatic (all in your head). An increase in squat is in fact a quantifiable term; however, isn't the goal of lifting weights to lift more weight as you go? Bottom line, the only way he can confidently say that T-boost5000XL increased his test is with blood tests.

What he should have said was: "I took T-boost5000XL at 3 caps a day for X amount of days, I felt an increase in libido and appetite and my squat went up 10lbs." Everything said would be factual information, and (unless everyone reading his post is an English teacher)he will not sound like an idiot (run-on sentence).

-3-When reporting hearsay, make it clear that it is hearsay. There's a huge difference between saying "T-boost5000XL is the stuff, and it totally works, bro." and saying. "I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard people say that it helped them increase their squat by 10lbs."

3)Research Comes First- Always do your research before you buy. I have a friend of mine right now, who forgot to do this, and now he's calling me in the middle of the night to ask questions about using it. Would you buy a Cadillac if you don't know how to drive? Would you buy a house you've never seen before? No! Same with supps. Threads saying "I just bought some T-boost5000XL. Does it work? How should I dose it?" cannot and will not make you sound smart. There's nothing smart about being $80 poorer with a bucket of snake oil.

4)"This Might Be a Dumb Question Great, then don't bother asking it. Don't start threads with that line, people will do one of two things: 1) ignore you 2) call you an idiot.

5)Androgenic/Anabolic Steroids, 'Prohormones', SERMS, & Clen are not supplements Not only will sound like a moron when you post questions about them in the supplements forum, but people will jump on the opportunity to remind of it.

6)Following Rules Some of the rules, I've touched up a little on, but if you click on this link http://anabolicminds.com/forum/faq.php and abide by all they've got to say (especially about source posting), your chances of sounding like an idiot will greatly decrease.

7)Bobo is always right Calling Bobo an idiot is like calling yourself an idiot. The clown will set you in your place if you mess with him, and that place is not in this forum.

8)Putting a potentially redundant and erroneous set of instructions in the supplement section about not sounding like an idiot A bunch of people are gonna flame me for posting this.

9)Do not Post "rules" to posting: (from bigstabile) It's been done a million times and nobody ever bothers to read it. Some people just don't learn.

10. LEARN HOW TO SPEAK CORRECTLY (from sdmf45) No body wants to read a post that doesn't make any sense. Put down the crackpipe, reread, then post.

Example: i wa gonna try dat der nu cre tine and wa wondrn if itwa anygod.

If I missed anything. Feel free to add.
~thesinner

Last edited:
bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
9)Do not Post "rules" to posting: It's been done a million times and nobody ever bothers to read it.:p

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
9)Do not Post "rules" to posting: It's been done a million times and nobody ever bothers to read it.:p
lol

thesinner meant good but your right bigstabile i doubt alot of people would read this and use it. i dont think that even half of the members have read the site FAQ/Rules. so i dont think they bother with this.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
I read it. I enjoyed it. I agree with it.

If people keep bumping this back up to the top, I'm sure that some people will end up checking it out. Maybe not alot of people, but some will.

Good post.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Sin-Dog seems to have a sense of humour about him, more than likely he was doing it quasi-joking.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
The Sin-Dog seems to have a sense of humour about him, more than likely he was doing it quasi-joking.
Well yes, if you've been patrolling the board lately there are a few specific references in thesinner's post to annoying posts that have just taken place.

It's these people that need to get a boot to their head...or a trout to the eyeball.

:trout: You got trouted!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lets hope your best friend(East1600Plus) gets in this thread to share his wisdom

I refered to a lot of his threads when putting together this post. How ironic?

lifter4life3333

Awards
What is a supplement??? And what is this "search" supplement? Everyone keeps telling me to use it. ???

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
TheSinner Speaks great wisdom. All must learn and obey!
Problem is the dumb***'s don't read the rules and that's why they ask the great questions.:icon_lol:

vince spider

vince spider

Awards
  • Established
give us a break,this is what i think of those rules :dump:
get real!!! you have to much time on your hands that could be spent on something worthwhile rather than trying to dictate how people post:nutkick:
ps glutamine RULZ:stick:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let's see, other things I could've done with ten minutes of my time:
Pump gas
Make a sandwich
Rub one off
Drive to church (but not go in)
Watch 1/3 of Seinfeld

Are these more worthwhile?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Sinner, I think there are great points in there and unfortunately the others are right when they say no one reads. But nothing stops me from putting it in my sig to help a few maybe help themselves.

Oh, reps for the effort man

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for your support Jayhawkk.

And although we can't change the ignorant, we can at least educate the uniformed. If this post prevents one stupid post, that's one less dumb post I'll have to see.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
10. LEARN HOW TO SPEAK CORRECTLY

Example: i wa gonna try dat der nu cre tine and wa wondrn if itwa anygod

I was searching and came across some posts that gave me a headache in 2 seconds trying to read that s***

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I thought ignorant = uninformed.

So, really, it's the stupid people that suck, not the uninformed. :whiner:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought ignorant = uninformed.

So, really, it's the stupid people that suck, not the uninformed. :whiner:
No, ignorant means we tell you but you just don't listen. They're hopeless.

Uninformed means you just didn't know. Them's can be corrected.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
No, ignorant means we tell you but you just don't listen. They're hopeless.

Uninformed means you just didn't know. Them's can be corrected.
I still think I'm right. :bb:

D'cellFuel

Awards
Great post!... the only problem is that the target audience ie: the "idiot" demograph will most likely not view the thread. Because most idiots do not know they are idiots which is why they are truly IDIOTS! I have been a lerker here for a while and have never posted because of that cool search feature you described. Props to your most humorous and poigniant post Sinner!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I used the search button for 3 days and my test levels went up!

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I am very fond of the search feature, myself. I get a pump just pushing the search button.

I just wish they would do something about the damned 3-letter thing. Searching for things like DMT, DMA, EFA, EAA, etc. etc. etc. is a pain in the buttocks, because they are not spelled out in every relevant thread.

Most boards I've been to have this limitation. Why? You got me.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Pump gas No
Make a sandwich Yes
Rub one off 10 minutes? who you trying to fool.
Drive to church (but not go in) No comment
Watch 1/3 of Seinfeld as along as Kramer is in those scenes why not.

:study: :blink: :twisted:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I could squeeze out three... if I was in a pinch. :bruce1:
In the sport of bodybuilding, symmetry is very important. You want all your muscles to be big and strong; especially your PC muscle.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Pump gas
Make a sandwich
Rub one off
Drive to church (but not go in)
Watch 1/3 of Seinfeld

Instead he chooses to post rules...:rolleyes:

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am very fond of the search feature, myself. I get a pump just pushing the search button.

I just wish they would do something about the damned 3-letter thing. Searching for things like DMT, DMA, EFA, EAA, etc. etc. etc. is a pain in the buttocks, because they are not spelled out in every relevant thread.

:thumbsup: Searching by acronyms would be tremendous!!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established

Too much data with a 3 digit search. It would slow the entire board down I believe. It certainly would put the search engine in the red.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Too much data with a 3 digit search. It would slow the entire board down I believe. It certainly would put the search engine in the red.
Not sure how the search engine is built, but you could think about creating a library of specific three letter acronyms and only allow a search of those acronyms.

Also, if the amount of letters is a problem (as in, you need a specific minimum of letters to do a proper search) then you could expand the search to look like this:

Say someone is looking for "EFA", then it will search for the following things instead:
"_EFA_" (where the underscore is a space)
"EFA/" or "/EFA" or "/EFA/" (as if it were in a list separated by slashes)
"_EFA,_" or ",_EFA_" or ",_EFA," (as if it were in a list seperated by commas)
etc. etc.

That way you're not just looking for three character combinations, you are looking for four, five, or six character combinations. Just a thought.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
watching 1/3 of seinfeld might have been. . .

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
IT guys??

Yeah. That's my take, as well.

But, there HAS to be another way. I mean 75% of the supplements/compounds out there are commonly referred to as some type of acronym, usually a 2-3 letter one. :frustrate

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Just do a Google search for anabolicminds.com

It's not quite as good as the board search, but it will find 3 letter words.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Just do a Google search for anabolicminds.com

It's not quite as good as the board search, but it will find 3 letter words.
Good thinking! Too bad I missed this post 3 months ago. :cheers:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 4
Training Forum 1
musclemaker Company Promotions 6
mixedup Anabolics 94
PatWheeler Anabolics 2