When Is Extra Leucine Desirable?

Jim Sadler

Awards
Recently there have been a series of "leucine-enriched" products hitting the market, like Primal EAA, Replenish and Myozene. I think it's clear that leucine is good to take post-workout. I'm wondering if extra leucine is desirable throughout the day.

Leucine is an anabolic trigger, and I recall seeing some research showing that older rats benefitted from added leucine (it increased the anabolic effect of their food to what they experienced in their youth). On the other hand, if it raises insulin (which is a selling point from a post-workout perspective), maybe you don't want to be using it all day long, but only at specific times (like post-workout).

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use it post-training. and studies do show it has anabolic effects. PubMed

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
That is what I read just the other day. Leucine post workout + carbs and protein = results. Forget where I read it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I use it with isoleucine and Valine as BCAA's, during wo and when waking to pee.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

That's exactly what I do and it seems that most people who megadose do the same. Good call.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
I use it at 5-7g in a WMS / WPI shake PWO, and decided to add about 50g to my protein jugs when I open them and mix it around...basically spiking it with added leucine...its cheap and its not ginna hurt so what the hell.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I use it at 5-7g in a WMS / WPI shake PWO, and decided to add about 50g to my protein jugs when I open them and mix it around...basically spiking it with added leucine...its cheap and its not ginna hurt so what the hell.
Yep that's what I do as well.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I'm using NutraPlanets leucine right now. If I can't say that, would a MOD please delete it. It's just that everyone asks what brand I am using when I tell them this problem.

What is the secret to getting this stuff to mix?

Mine will not mix by shaking, stirring or blending.

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
Hello Dragon, Nutraplanet rocks!!!!
My leucine don't mix, I just put it in a scoop dump it in my mouth and take a big drink of water, yummy....

I'm using NutraPlanets leucine right now. If I can't say that, would a MOD please delete it. It's just that everyone asks what brand I am using when I tell them this problem.

What is the secret to getting this stuff to mix?

Mine will not mix by shaking, stirring or blending.

FarangJaiDee

FarangJaiDee

Awards
I am wondering if it's ok to drink Primal EAA (isoleucine) 4 ~ 5scoops a day? Any thoughts on this?

1 scoop - upon waking
1 scoop - mid morning
1 scoop - mid PM
1 scoop - pre-WO & during WO
1 scoop - postWO

FarangJaiDee

FarangJaiDee

Awards
:p :eek: Opps...I noticed a few earlier post of megadosing isoleucine.
sorry, my bad.

thanks for the info. I am still trying to get used to this forum set up.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Hello Dragon, Nutraplanet rocks!!!!
My leucine don't mix, I just put it in a scoop dump it in my mouth and take a big drink of water, yummy....
I will have to try that, but I wouldn't say yummy. This stuff tastes awful.

Hey neighbor, I'm just 20 minutes south of you going down Alcoa highway.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I am wondering if it's ok to drink Primal EAA (isoleucine) 4 ~ 5scoops a day? Any thoughts on this?

1 scoop - upon waking
1 scoop - mid morning
1 scoop - mid PM
1 scoop - pre-WO & during WO
1 scoop - postWO
My understanding is that leucine is the one with all of the kick.
I don't know what the benefits of isoleucine would be.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can anyone for sure they notice signifiant results since staring Leucine?

I take five grams postraining. Im going to try to scoop in mouth method. and also i might try the stiring in my whey protein.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone for sure they notice signifiant results since staring Leucine?

I take five grams postraining. Im going to try to scoop in mouth method. and also i might try the stiring in my whey protein.
I don't want this to sound like I'm knocking on you but sometimes it seems like people forget that Leucine, and for that matter BCAAs, are amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins(BCAAs being of the strongest muscle builders).

So when people ask if they notice anything, it's kind of like asking, do you notice anything when you eat a protein enriched diet? I would say keep taking Lecuine all day long(see protocols above for dosing) if you've got it and are willing to spend the money on it. It's basically adding more muscle building blocks into your body.

You won't really "notice" anything right away because it's not something that will give you a pump or make you more vascular. BUT, over time your muscles will grow more because you have more of the vital amino acids in your body to do so.

Try taking it(or a BCAA mix) four times a day. Like people have been suggesting: upon waking, before and after lifting, before bed.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't want this to sound like I'm knocking on you but sometimes it seems like people forget that Leucine, and for that matter BCAAs, are amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins(BCAAs being of the strongest muscle builders).

So when people ask if they notice anything, it's kind of like asking, do you notice anything when you eat a protein enriched diet? I would say keep taking Lecuine all day long(see protocols above for dosing) if you've got it and are willing to spend the money on it. It's basically adding more muscle building blocks into your body.

You won't really "notice" anything right away because it's not something that will give you a pump or make you more vascular. BUT, over time your muscles will grow more because you have more of the vital amino acids in your body to do so.

Try taking it(or a BCAA mix) four times a day. Like people have been suggesting: upon waking, before and after lifting, before bed.
Cool. I mixed mine with my protein powder and makes my protein powder taste like ass. next time, Im just taking it in a scoop or capsules.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Makes sense. I mixed mine with my protein powder and makes my protein powder taste like ass. next time, Im just taking it in a scoop or capsules.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Makes sense. I mixed mine with my protein powder and makes my protein powder taste like ass. next time, Im just taking it in a scoop or capsules.
Yeah it has a distinct taste to it. There are definitely worst tasting supps out there luckily. You may or may not get used to the taste of the Leucine/BCAAs when you scoop em in your mouth.

Quick suggestion about that: When doing this, put as many scoops in your mouth as you want, hold your breath(but don't inhale through your mouth first, you might end up sucking down some of the powder into your throat, which will then just make you cough everything out), then when you're taking the water in just let it kind of fill your mouth so that all of the powder lumps together(use your tongue to move it). Then just swallow down the one big lump. That way you only have to really taste it once. Makes sense? If not, you'll find your own way to take it without getting sick of the taste.

getbustered

Board Sponsor
Awards
and decided to add about 50g to my protein jugs when I open them and mix it around...basically spiking it with added leucine...its cheap and its not ginna hurt so what the hell.

Great idea. Consider it stolen. Thanks. :run: