Zinc is a miracle supplement

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
I was reading BB.com and came across this from Big Cat:

ZMA worth it? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Actually zinc is the closest to a natural miracle supplement you'll find. Provided you take enough. Load for a week with 90 mg , then drop to 45 mg. (continuing at 90 is actually fine, but until they update the RDA's and toxicity lines to reflect modern science, I'm technically not allowed to recommend that) You'll be amazed at the results if you haven't been taking any extra zinc up to this point. Its cheap and its effective. It seems to have some minor effects on testosterone, but that's not really where the effect comes from. Its mostly the influence of extra zinc in muscle tissue that locally modulates IGF actions. It so strong in fact that several zinc formulations are often applied, orally or topically, for wound healing. -The extra magnesium helps the uptake of zinc into cells, but you'll get the effect with a cheaper zinc supplement as well.

I think I'm going to try the 100mg then scale back to 50mg and see what happens.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'll wait for a guru to chime in...but wouldn't that be a good addition to an IGF cycle?

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
interesting read, ill wait for the big guns too chime in

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Not a guru but oral supplementation has not been proven unless deficiency exists. Although there can be many reasons to be deficient even with intake that meets RDI's.

Some believe that is is the antibacterial effect that zinc has that aids in wound healing not the absorption into cells as stated above.

Nevertheless, most patients with wounds (pressure ulcers, burns, stasis ulcers) do well with topical zinc. I also believe that oral supplementation of Vit C as well as zinc is beneficial for wound healing. Where I work the typical recommendation for pressure ulcers (stage II-IV) is 500mg ascorbic acid and 220mg zinc sulfate even with good meal intake.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
zinc works pretty well for colds, look at zicam :)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Yup, some also attribute this to antibacterial effects in the throat.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Word. I'm a big fan of zinc lozenges when I get sick. I wasn't so sure it would help that much but I tried it a little while back after reading Dr. D reccommending it, and it definitely worked for me.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
wow im on the tail end of a nasty cold and i should of checked into it

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Anyone know how either zinc or magnesium would cause acne?

It's the only thing I've changed recently, and I've been getting new acne. When I quit for a week, it went away. When I started taking it again, it came back. It's very minor acne, just a couple small zits, but it bugs me. I would just like to know why.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
when i use zma i got acne on my back, not sure which causes it though

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
Zinc and Magnesium are my favorite supps.. They make me feel better, more energy higher sex dive, etc..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone know how either zinc or magnesium would cause acne?

It's the only thing I've changed recently, and I've been getting new acne. When I quit for a week, it went away. When I started taking it again, it came back. It's very minor acne, just a couple small zits, but it bugs me. I would just like to know why.
Zinc and magnesium can help to increase test production especially in people who do a lot of intense training.

musclepigg

Awards
Any problem with Calcium in the mix? I have Calcium+Zinc+Magnesium caplets.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any problem with Calcium in the mix? I have Calcium+Zinc+Magnesium caplets.
Calcium and zinc compete for absorption so take them separately. Or take the cal/mag/zinc as normal and take additional zinc before bed.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
should i take my zma about a hour before bed and then my nighttime prot a half n hour later? would that work

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sound good.

FunkMasterFlex

Awards
calcium can interfere with zinc absorbtion. Also I can anecdotally say that zinc improves certain physiological aspects of sex. It seems most people are at a defeciency of zinc. Especially athletes and hardcore lifters. Its hard to get enough via the diet these days.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
ZMA is up there with fish oil, but should be taken with 2mg of manganese and 2mg of copper, together or seperatly.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
copper huh, hmmm, ill have too look into this one

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Zinc supplimentation depletes copper, copper deficiency and magnesium supplimentation depletes manganese.

Aparently we excrete 4mg of manganese a day and we get copper from processed foods and tap water.
The ratio for zinc to copper should be 10:1. so really it is 2-3mg(although I would stick to 2) of copper and 2-4mg of manganese.

Osteoporosis: Trace Elements - Zinc/Copper

This doctor says 30mg zinc and 2mg copper a day.

There is a company called Musashi that has "ZMA +" they redid the formula, they halved the zinc and used chelated zinc(dont know why), and they added 1mg of manganese.