Green Tea and Libido

Bezzy

Awards
I have a question. Has anyone here experienced any side effects while using the Green Tea Powder. About a week ago I started the Powerfull and Maca Purina cycle, and my LIBIDO and SEX DRIVE was off the Chain. I'm talking STEEL libido. I added green tea to my daily supps and all of a sudden my wood is half of what it use to be? I know my body, this happens everytime I try to use some type of weightloss supplement, normally all I havce to do is lay off whatever I'm using for weightloss and my libido and drive goes back to normal. Has this happen to anyone before. Does green tea or other weightloss supplements have something in them that affects libido. :bruce1:

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Does green tea or other weightloss supplements have something in them that affects libido.
The only thing that I can think of is that the caffeine may be causing it. I've heard of people claiming their libido is shot after consuming certain amounts of caffeine. Other than that, I have no idea.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that I can think of is that the caffeine may be causing it. I've heard of people claiming their libido is shot after consuming certain amounts of caffeine. Other than that, I have no idea.
I agree, it's probably the caffeine. Sometimes when I take caffeine my unit is slightly smaller when flaccid and i actually have a harder time getting and maintaining an erection. I'm sure it has to do w/ blood pressure issues but not exactly sure. But my problem is not with actual sex drive, just penile issues lol. Is this what your talking about? Are you experiencing just weaker erections or is your actual sex drive shot?

Bezzy

Awards
Yes I'm only talking about weaker erections... Again if I go back to a couple of days ago I had roak hard WOOD everyday, now since the green tea we're talking sluggish, not the STEEL I once had. SO I agree it must be the caffeine. I will layoff for 72 hours and see what happens then.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Vasoconstriction.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Vasoconstriction.
Yup! Thats it. The blood vessels tighten up and it is harder for blood to flow. It's the same reason why you shouldn't take caffeine and a NO type product. They are antogonistic to eachother, right?

The Powerfull and Maca is definitley boosting your actual sex drive itself, but it is doing nothing to actually increase blood flow. You experience one of the same problems that I used to suffer often. However I don't notice it anymore since I take AEE. Try some out and it will probably help. Pick up some AEE and dose it for 5 grams three times a day. Good luck!

-Mike

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Correct.

Keep the Green Tea away from anytime you might be having sex (no closer than 2 hours before.)

Mariner07

Awards
I remember reading somewhere that green tea causes higher estrogen levels. Is there any truth in that.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
What kind/potency of green tea extract are you using? The higher potency extracts with 50% EGCG and 70-90% catechins have virtually no caffeine.

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
I remember reading somewhere that green tea causes higher estrogen levels. Is there any truth in that.

There has been some chatter regarding the estrogenic proporties of the catechols in green tea. The concensus was a personal dilemma: stick with the GT for its retardly-good positives or cycle it/drop it due to the estrogenic activity.

Most stick with it and just ride out the sides (minimal). I drink about 3-6 cups per day and find the sexual sides only catch up with me when I cut. (Typical, isn't it?)

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
There has been some chatter regarding the estrogenic proporties of the catechols in green tea. The concensus was a personal dilemma: stick with the GT for its retardly-good positives or cycle it/drop it due to the estrogenic activity.
Interesting. Do you happen to know of any research or links discussing this?

Also, unless the estrogenic properties were extremely strong, would this really be something that could affect libido?

Bezzy

Awards
Just an update for you guys. I laid off the green tea and already in 48 hours, the Steel Wood is back. I bought the bulk green tea fron Nutra Planet, I won't use it again, i'll just give it to someone else. Mickey Resp you mentioned AEE. What is that? And what does it do?

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
Interesting. Do you happen to know of any research or links discussing this?

Also, unless the estrogenic properties were extremely strong, would this really be something that could affect libido?
To start:
"Estrogen receptor-mediated actions of polyphenolic catechins in vivo and in vitro.

Goodin MG, Fertuck KC, Zacharewski TR, Rosengren RJ.

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Otago, 18 Frederick Street, Rm. 238 Adams Building, Dunedin, New Zealand.

Recent investigations have demonstrated that polyphenolic catechins inhibit breast cancer cell proliferation and tumor growth. However, the ER-mediated effects of the three predominant catechins (EGCG, ECG, and EGC) have not been extensively examined in vitro or in vivo. Therefore, EGCG, ECG, and EGC were examined for their ability to compete with [(3)H]-17beta-estradiol ([(3)H]-E(2)) for binding to ERalpha and ERbeta and to elicit reporter gene activity in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells transiently transfected with either chimeric ERalpha or ERbeta. EGCG and ECG displaced [(3)H]-E(2) from GST-hERalphadef (D, E, and F domains of human ERalpha fused to GST) or from full-length human ERbeta. Additionally, only EGCG elicited Gal4-hERalphadef and Gal4-mERbetadef-mediated reporter gene expression (EC(50) values: 28 and 19 micro M, respectively) in MCF-7 cells cotransfected with a Gal4-regulated luciferase reporter gene. In cotreatment experiments, EGCG (1-50 micro M) and ECG (1 micro M) decreased E(2)-induced (1 nM) ERbeta-mediated gene expression 35-50%. In vivo, no catechin induced estrogenic responses (uterine weight or uterine peroxidase activity) in immature C57BL/6 mice. However, when mice were cotreated with E(2) (10 micro g/kg/day, 3 days) and either EGCG (30 and 50 mg/kg/day, 3 days) or ECG (50 mg/kg/day, 3 days), uterine peroxidase activity was increased 2.3-fold above that elicited by E(2) alone. In conclusion, EGCG and ECG bind to ERalpha and ERbeta, but only EGCG elicited ER-mediated gene expression in vitro. However, both of these compounds moderately increased E(2)-inducible responses in vivo. PMID: 12377984 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
I get this "Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken." when I tried the link you posted.
My bad. Fixed now, thanks Rivet.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Can someone tell me the recommended dose for Green Tea extract. I've seen anywhere from 200mg a day to 1gm a day. What do you guys recommend, I have the bulk extract from NP.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
It's best to take at least ~400mg of EGCG at one time. The NP is 50% EGCG, so this would be ~800mg of extract at one time.

To quote an article by David Tolson:

"...The most important thing to note is that green tea polyphenols undergo saturable presystemic elimination. This means that low doses only increase plasma EGCG levels marginally, but once the point of saturation is reached, the same amount of tea will have much greater effects.

"The amount required to achieve saturation in humans varies from study to study. Using tea leaves, one study found 3.0 grams to increase plasma EGCG levels by 2.7-3.4 times as much as 1.5 grams, while the difference between 3.0 grams and 4.5 grams was not statistically significant [90]. However, a study measuring antioxidant potential of green tea leaves found that 2.5, 5.0, and 7.5 increased plasma antioxidant potential by 2.1%, 6.2%, and 12.7% respectively at the 120 minute mark, indicating that 7.5 grams was over twice as effective as 5.0 grams [61]. 7.5 grams equates to about 375 mg of EGCG (note that this is only an approximation), and a pharmacokinetic study with green tea extract yielded a similar result. Amounts containing 225, 375, and 525 mg EGCG raised plamsa concentrations by 657, 4300, 4410 pmol/mL, respectively [91]. However, in a last study, despite the fact that 400 mg EGCG (from an extract) overcame saturation as opposed to 200 mg (the AUC, in this case a measure of total bioavailability, was 23.0 and 64.9 respectively), 600 mg and 800 mg amounts kept getting significantly more effective, with AUCs of 111.1 and 258.2 respectively [92]. The maximum plasma concentrations similarly increased. It is also noteworthy that this study found that it took 600, not 400 mg of pure EGCG (without other catechins) to overcome saturation, once again emphasizing that the other catechins operate synergistically with EGCG.

"With this data in mind, we could safetly say, for example, that taking an extract containing 400 mg EGCG once daily would be considerably more effective than 200 mg twice daily. Increasing this amount to 600 mg may or may not have a significant effect, depending on the study we look at. Either way, a minumum of 400 mg EGCG should be taken at a time to overcome saturation. An ideal dosing schedule would be 400 mg 2-3 times daily, while a more economical (but still very effective) one would be 400 mg once daily (preferably in the pre-workout period)."

I personally take 800-1000mg extract (400-500mg EGCG) 2x daily.

dpsdhr

Awards
Hey Bezzy ...
How are you now ? i think same thing is happening to me.

Frank S

Awards
Libido wise green tea is a no go here, I've read studies saying it can lower testosterone and I notice greatly reduced sexual sensation, it's pretty much the same numbness Sildenafil causes, curcumin is also bad.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
No EGCG? No Curcumin? Man, we're gonna have some good looking corpses with STEEL WOOD :)

I take all that stuff (especially Meriva Curcumin - SO many positives for Curcumin) - no problems. Bummer that the healthy stuff causes problems for some. BTW, maybe it's the -(-)Epi in the green tea!? Oh nooooooo :)

Pneumophant

Awards
What kind/potency of green tea extract are you using? The higher potency extracts with 50% EGCG and 70-90% catechins have virtually no caffeine.
Wouldn't the catecholamine increase from high levels of EGCG be enough to cause a very mild coke dick effect?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No EGCG? No Curcumin? Man, we're gonna have some good looking corpses with STEEL WOOD :)

I take all that stuff (especially Meriva Curcumin - SO many positives for Curcumin) - no problems. Bummer that the healthy stuff causes problems for some. BTW, maybe it's the -(-)Epi in the green tea!? Oh nooooooo :)
I would guess this is blown out of proportion. Green tea is an excellent supplement. Everything in moderation.

Frank S

Awards

If you don't notice numbness then it's all good, I notice it big time from green tea, the problem with Curcumin is the Serotonin increase, when you increase Serotonin you automatically decrease Dopamine and when you decrease Dopamine you automatically decrease Testosterone, I'm not the first reporting poor libido from Curcumin. There are hundreds alternatives though many don't even know the classics like Ginseng powder and Ginger powder, hundreds of stuff better or cheaper or more pure then all those scam bodybuilding supps.

john10960

Awards
Frank, were you taking a green tea extract supp or just drinking green tea?

If drinking green tea, how much a day?