Anybody ever tried accupuncture?

olb

Awards
I just finished reading Bill Romanowski's book "Romo" and he mention how he loved accupuncture.

Anybody ever do this? How was your experience? Safe? Effective? Did it hurt?

Im now really interested in this.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Ive had it done about 10 times.

To answer some of your questions:

I found it to be a relaxing and invigorating experience, I went for the treatment of very specific injuries, not just general "back pain" and found that it did provide some relief.

It is completely safe as long as you see a respected and certified practioner that uses disposable sterile needles.

The pain really depends on where you are at mentally. If you are feeling nervous or anxious or pissed off, its going to hurt more. If you are calm and relaxed, you dont feel a thing, In general, once the needles are in, you dont even fel them after a minute unless you contract the muscle. Then it hurts like hell.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Ive had it done about 10 times.

To answer some of your questions:

I found it to be a relaxing and invigorating experience, I went for the treatment of very specific injuries, not just general "back pain" and found that it did provide some relief.

It is completely safe as long as you see a respected and certified practioner that uses disposable sterile needles.

The pain really depends on where you are at mentally. If you are feeling nervous or anxious or pissed off, its going to hurt more. If you are calm and relaxed, you dont feel a thing, In general, once the needles are in, you dont even fel them after a minute unless you contract the muscle. Then it hurts like hell.

SecretOfSteel

Awards
When I was training at a sports university in China there was no nurse or doctor - only an acupuncturist

I swear to god, kids would walk in with a pipe through their chest (ok, not that bad, but all sorts of strains/sprains/pulls), go to the acupuncturist and come back the next day fine.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes I have a few times, didnt hurt, didnt work, nuff said :)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I used to get it done all the time. It is excellent for relaxation..unless you are like FnF and wound tighter than a race car coil spring:D.

It IS hard to relax and let it take effect the first time, but after that it's a breeze. For me, it loosened up my shoulders and back and made for some great sleep and recovery. It didn't address my back pain at the time, but that may have been the practioner.

For best effect, get pinned, then go straight home and melt into the couch for the evening.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had some electro-accupunture done to stimulate cell growth, blood circulation in my shoulder while I had a SLAP tear, so not exactly the same application. Yet, I digress, I felt it worked marginally well

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to get it done all the time. It is excellent for relaxation..unless you are like FnF and wound tighter than a race car coil spring:D.

It IS hard to relax and let it take effect the first time, but after that it's a breeze. For me, it loosened up my shoulders and back and made for some great sleep and recovery. It didn't address my back pain at the time, but that may have been the practioner.

For best effect, get pinned, then go straight home and melt into the couch for the evening.

:bruce1: :twisted:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
See? She's threatening me with the num-chucks..again!

:duel:

florin

Awards
It works pretty good if you find a competent doctor. Waste of time and money otherwise.

Acupuncture put me back on track after a very nasty super-stressful time. I was essentially breaking down from too much stress, yet I was "healthy" according to results from the blood work, etc. That's actually where it works best - if the condition is functional, but there is no actual damage to the tissue.
If there is structural damage, it's probably best to combine it with other methods.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Accupuncture has helped me with injuries, and other ailments. I suppose I got lucky and found a competent practitioner, as other people obviously are not that impressed by it.

Then again if you go in not having an open mind with something of that nature, I feel that can change the outcome.. if that makes any sense. :D

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I utilise Accupuncture/Nerve Points all the time when assasinating political figures, it works a treat and I've never had a complaint!

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Can someone explain how it works, i've always been curious. I believe for those who it works for its in there heads. (Mind over Matter) But what does science say?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
ACK!!!!!

Pincushion time....NO WAY JOSE!!!!

Even with 37 yrs in the martial atrs and familiarity with the cultures and the historical backgrounds of alternative oriental medicines.

But the i'm really a wimp where needles are concerned.

I have only seen one study performed in a medical setting. it was on relief of knee pain and the patient was not allowed to see the insertion of the needle. Sometimes they put the needle in and sometimes they just poked the skin. the results were about even on actual vs palcebo effect.

Personally (even if I weren't a wimp) I don't want someone inserting needles into the nerve junctions (meridians) of my body.

pyro123

Awards
Interesting. I wonder if it can provide pain relief to shoulder surgery.

adawg4929

Awards
  • Established
it definitly does not hurt at all, can barley feel anything. Ive used it many many of times and it has always shown some improvement in one aspect or another. Its worth a try in my opinoin.

holmes215

holmes215

Awards
  • Established
had 2 stress fractures in my back, didn't work very effectively, helped loosen muscles up but nothing with actual pain