BCAA's

smokinit

Awards
Guys I was wondering what kind of BCAA's everyone likes to use? I use ON whey protien everyday which has quite a bit of amino acids in it already. Is that enough or should I be using some extra? I try to lift 5 days a week, usually one body part per week. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

On another note has anyone heard when Cissus RX is going to be available again??

I love this website and the people involved, IT KICKS ASS!!!

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
You know, I was wondering the same thing just today. I myself have been using Optimum's BCAA's before, during, and after training for almost a month now. I know that it is very common for people to throw aminos into their shake for some additional aminos, but honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference in anything. I've been considering just using maybe an extra shake or too for the additional protein as well as aminos and glutamine. I know BCAA's are a staple among many but I don't know if its really worth it...anyone else?

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I use Anabolic Innovations Isolate protein

but pre/during/post workout i use 6 scoops Xtend and 1 scoop substance!! I think it helps alot!

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm a big fan of Anabolic Innovation's raspberry flavored Excell. As for the Cissus, I'm not sure but I think they're saying in the next week or so.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I use Anabolic Innovations Isolate protein

but pre/during/post workout i use 6 scoops Xtend and 1 scoop substance!! I think it helps alot!

In what area do you think it helps alot, something like performance? The only results I guess I can say I've gotten from them would be the same area I'd put multivitamins. Supplements that are supposed to be good for you but dont feel them working...At least I don't feel them....mega dose perhaps?

Batesy

Awards
Hey Mikey,

I'm using Optimums BCAA's as well (3 pre 3 post as per the label) and my findings are pretty much the same as yours - don't know if they're doing anything or not (but don't want to stop just in case!).

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the brand by the way. I would regard these more as nutrition rather than miracle supplement.

About the mega dosing, I recently went on a ski trip, only 1 year before I absolutely fried my quads on day 1 and this screwed me for the next 2 days (I ski telemark style and this is MUCH harder on the legs than normal).
Even though this year I am a bit lighter, a lot fitter and a slightly better skier, I was still worried about this happening again. I decided to help I would mega dose the BCAA's (6 pre 6 post as well as the same caps in Glutamine) and the fatigue was hardly noticeable. Found I could ski longer / harder too.

Now how much of this is related to the amino dosing I don't know but I was sure glad to have them along!

I'm keeping with it.

Batesy

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In what area do you think it helps alot, something like performance? The only results I guess I can say I've gotten from them would be the same area I'd put multivitamins. Supplements that are supposed to be good for you but dont feel them working...At least I don't feel them....mega dose perhaps?
Recovery....
I continue to get stronger while cutting. I have maintained quite a bit of muscle. I obviously also keep my protein intake high.

6 scoops of Xtend is considered megadosing, i believe. it is 3 servings. Some do more, but i am only 175.

I agree with you, you can't feel them working. But, it seems that lately BCAAs and EAAs have become a staple. Protein, BCAA/EAA, multi. Until i see research that states otherwise, i will continue in this way. I hav eonly seen positive research/articles/results from them!

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Brand shouldn't matter. But compare the ingredients. Look for good amounts of the various aminos and look at price per seving per amount of aminos to get your best value! Citrulline malate is a good addition to these types of supplements if youa re not getting it with anything else. :D

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I throw a few extra grams of leucine into my PWO shake. A board sponsor sells it cheap in bulk and it's backed by promising research.

"In skeletal muscle, leucine stimulates protein synthesis through multiple independent mechanisms. The first mechanism is increased insulin secretion [7], and insulin is well known to increase body protein balance. However, leucine still stimulates protein synthesis in concentrations that do not increase insulin in vivo, and mechanisms by which leucine increases protein synthesis other than insulin secretion have been identified [7-9]. By itself, leucine stimulates protein synthesis through the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathways, 70-kDa ribosomal protein S6 kinase activity, and enhances eIf4E-binding protein phosphorylation and the association of eukaryotic initiation factor (eIF)4E with eIF4G, effects that have been determined both in vitro and in vivo in humans [9-10]. These effects are directly mediated by leucine, rather than a metabolite, and the specifics of the process are not yet well established [7]."

From Branched Chain Amino Acids - Supplement Review

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Hey Mikey,

I'm using Optimums BCAA's as well (3 pre 3 post as per the label) and my findings are pretty much the same as yours - don't know if they're doing anything or not (but don't want to stop just in case!).

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the brand by the way. I would regard these more as nutrition rather than miracle supplement.

About the mega dosing, I recently went on a ski trip, only 1 year before I absolutely fried my quads on day 1 and this screwed me for the next 2 days (I ski telemark style and this is MUCH harder on the legs than normal).
Even though this year I am a bit lighter, a lot fitter and a slightly better skier, I was still worried about this happening again. I decided to help I would mega dose the BCAA's (6 pre 6 post as well as the same caps in Glutamine) and the fatigue was hardly noticeable. Found I could ski longer / harder too.

Now how much of this is related to the amino dosing I don't know but I was sure glad to have them along!

I'm keeping with it.

Batesy
I don't think there's anything wrong with the brand either. Optimum happens to be one of my favorite supplement companies out there. I use a whole host of their supplements, some of which include their Whey protein, Fish Oil, BCAA's, and Tribulus. I think that they are one of the most standup companies out there. You know, I usually do get pretty sore from my workouts, but not as sore as some of my training partners do. Often they wind up putting of a workout or re-scheduling their workout schedule because of extreme soreness. I wonder if the BCAA's I've been taking have been helping in this department. I guess like you, I'm just going to stick with it. They've always been a staple for me and I
've only recently re-considered them in my supplement regimen

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Recovery....
I continue to get stronger while cutting. I have maintained quite a bit of muscle. I obviously also keep my protein intake high.

6 scoops of Xtend is considered megadosing, i believe. it is 3 servings. Some do more, but i am only 175.

I agree with you, you can't feel them working. But, it seems that lately BCAAs and EAAs have become a staple. Protein, BCAA/EAA, multi. Until i see research that states otherwise, i will continue in this way. I hav eonly seen positive research/articles/results from them!
I have always used bulk BCAA's and bulk Glutamine, but I think next time I'm going to start using Xtend. I know my money won't go as far, but I'll be getting the other stuff such as the Citrulline in the mix as well and won't have to worry about taste or mixing issues. I was just reconsidering taking them because of Optimum shakes that I take. I was thinking that maybe I was just better off taking an additional shake in for the BCAA's and the Glutamine because this way I was getting more protein in as well. But then I was remembering something I heard of a while ago, something about the aminos being in a different form or something, I don't know, maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about. But like I said, I was just wondering maybe taking an extra scoop of protein powder because I'm being forced to cut down my supplement budget, and all the extras really start adding up.

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
I've been using Primal EAA (Prima Force), during cardio & weights, and I love it. It tastes great and definately helps me recover from the multi-joint exercises :clean: