BCAA advice

seanhoge

Awards
I've been working out with few supplements for over a year now and am looking to take the next step. My question is that I read opinions of BCAA's really helping your workout and excell, extend, and mrm are very good varieties. However I notice that I get almost the same amount of the leucine, l isoleucine, etc in my ON whey protein powder. So why do I need an additional supplement of these. Or is the supplementation that Im getting thru the protein powder enough?

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
I've been working out with few supplements for over a year now and am looking to take the next step. My question is that I read opinions of BCAA's really helping your workout and excell, extend, and mrm are very good varieties. However I notice that I get almost the same amount of the leucine, l isoleucine, etc in my ON whey protein powder. So why do I need an additional supplement of these. Or is the supplementation that Im getting thru the protein powder enough?
BCAA supplementation IMHO is best suited in a precontest phase to help stave off catabolism. If youre not strictly dieting, you wont derive as much from them, IMHO. However, I supplement with bulk leucine because of its anabolic properties.

Jason

jet11

Awards
BCAA's are great, all supplements are great (well most of them), but the average person can get all of their aminos from foods and a GOOD diet.

however, if you are working out hard and beating the weights, then aminos and bcaa's are great to keep out of catabolism...for most people, the protein powder is good enough to suit your needs, its got a positive amount of bcaa's. so you shouldnt necessarily need them, unless you feel that your diet is lacking the necessary building blocks

anabolicandre

Awards
BCAAs are not only benificial to muscle building properties, but overall health.
-Boosted immune function
-Increased hair/nail stregnth and growth
-Stiffened skin

and plenty more.

but some studies will show that, AMINOs in general high doses can be rough on some of the organs.

Ill look it up and post it later on.

seanhoge

Awards
Thanks guys. The lady at the vitamin shoppe told me that the aminos in the protein powder are cancelled out because the aminos have to be taken on an empty stomach in order to get into the system and get ready for the protein! Therefore they must be taken first. At least she believed her story. Maybe she has a point though, I surely dont know, yet.

UncleRemus

Awards
I've always been a bit skeptikal as to why BCAA are pushed so much as a staple of supplementation, up there with whey and creatine. To me, it seemed like someone bulking, whether it be clean or not, would really not see much of an impact or have much of a need for BCAA supplementation. I think of it as a good supplement precontest, or while cutting. IMO, $50 for a month or two is just not worth it, especially for someone in my situation, who is getting plenty of protein and eating 6 clean meals a day, and gettin a slight surplus of calories.

ludacris007

ludacris007

Awards
  • Established
i am in the middle of taking a course on nutrition and it appears that EAA's are key in keeping a positive nitro balance. i cant name them off the top of my head and my book is in my car but i am researching this topic because it may help my gains in the long run. I am thinking that if i am able to sip on a gatorade mixed with EAA/BCAA's in between meals it may help to keep a positive nitro balance all day long which would help. this is just my idea. any comments?

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I've always been a bit skeptikal as to why BCAA are pushed so much as a staple of supplementation, up there with whey and creatine. To me, it seemed like someone bulking, whether it be clean or not, would really not see much of an impact or have much of a need for BCAA supplementation. I think of it as a good supplement precontest, or while cutting. IMO, $50 for a month or two is just not worth it, especially for someone in my situation, who is getting plenty of protein and eating 6 clean meals a day, and gettin a slight surplus of calories.
there's a company called genesis nutrition that sells aminos in 1900 mg tablets (pretty big!). They are only like 23 dollars or something for a bottle of like 325. And the company always has buy 2 get 1 free. I actually feel like my muscles get smoother when I take them. And I mean that in a good way. Not like I lose striations. My muscles just look like they're healthier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PolishHamm3r77 Weight Loss 10
Supplements 4
Supplements 83
Supplements 2
Supplements 4