Waste of $$/Scam Supplements

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Alright men, lets start a running list of supplements everyone feels is a joke or waste of money.....Heres the rules...you have to tell what the supplement is, what its supposed to do and why its a joke (costs too much, didnt work for you, etc)

Maybe this will help a few beginners out in the future...Ill post mine as the thread progresses.....

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by YellowJacket
Alright men, lets start a running list of supplements everyone feels is a joke or waste of money.....Heres the rules...you have to tell what the supplement is, what its supposed to do and why its a joke (costs too much, didnt work for you, etc)

Maybe this will help a few beginners out in the future...Ill post mine as the thread progresses.....

Paradeca, Decavar and 1-Test from VPX,  to help you gain mass,  they work but I think they are way over price, the gains I have with them, I could get it with less expensive products. The good thing is that you dont have to take a lot of pills, which for me works fine, but now have the trandermal to cover for me, So the 1-test is my main PH,  If they reduced the price it will be attractive to a bigger market that they are trying to reach. Howver, I give them credit for the MRP Micellean, taste good, but it is expensive as well.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any Methoxy product.
Any Cutting Gel.

Can't think of anymore right now...

Blindfaith

Awards
pyruvate...hmb...androsteindione...cell-tech...no2...methoxypro

Kay

Awards
it woud be wise if you could describe on why you think these products are jokes??
That way we can have a discussion!

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree Methoxy is junk. However, it might work in higher does or intravenously.

I took Methoxy HP from EAS. I saw no change what so ever.

HMB is also sold in so low doses it is in effective. Studies using it showed 5g per day to cause any effective. I believe 1fast has it in 1g serving sizes.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Ok here are mine:

Cell tech- Too expensive, too much dextrose and worthless uncapped ALA

Anything Methoxy or flavones- Never been proven in studies to do in anything in fitness application

Chromium Piccolinate- Also neevr been proven, actually ads have been banned for this product for being "highly misleading"

Anything SDI Labs, Klein-Becker, Impact Nutrition and whoever makes "The beast" All joke, scam companies

HMB- Only good in very large doses, not worth the $$

Tribulus- Its advertised as a test booster yet its worthless alone.

Cutting gel/ Ripping gel- Obviously a joke or everyone would be
cut

Multi's that contain extra COQ10- COq10 is an important enzyme, but the claims of "aid in lean muscle tissue" is bullshit.

Creatine serum- Boooo boooo

Good ol Andro- It was fun while it lasted but theres hundred of more effective products out there..

Im sure Ill think of more and Ill just add them as I do....

snakeman458

Awards
ok here are mine;

effervesant orange; supposed to give you great pumps because of arginine, well its a joke. not enough arginine to work.

creatine serum, give me a break, they susspend creatine in a liquid and that breaks it down into creatinine whigh is bad for you. does not work.

elelctric abs  reducer. an over sized tins unit with no plausible way for it to work.

every one wants the magic cure. :saw

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by "THE TICK"
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused
well i have 2 SUSPECT scam products. it would be truly awesome if da **** really works, but momma did'nt raise no fool!!!! i have included links 2 each product so u can read 4 yourself & hopefully come back & share ur opinion.

http://www.anabolicstore.com/details/genedge.htm

http://www.inpactnutrition.com/intermission_a.html

@ the impact nutrition website.
go to products.
click on the product INTERMISSION

The only thing I can tell you is there is a market for everyone out there.  If you make two left shoes,  I am sure  there will be a line of idiots form to buy.

deaconbill

Awards
Even older and wiser men fall victim to ignorance at times of weakness.  Mine include cutting gel and testrogel.  LOL  I just wish these guys the best of luck in their own special room assigned in the afterlife for those that cheat other people in life.

true_c

Awards
anything

Methoxy
Ecdy
Muscletech
HMB

Impact Nutrition (jeff summers) -**does that answer ur question TICK:D (stuff is junk, and disturbingly expensive - also, dont count on gettin ne $ back if u want to return it)

Creatine serum
cuttin/rippin gel

Have to disagree w/ the chromium - that i have from good source as a quality supp

Kay

Awards
i dont know, maybe i am oen who falls for stupid things, or maybe i am ignorant, or lazy to do research.
My regiment currently includes tribulus, ecdymax, Cutting gel.
SHYT

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Impact Nutrition (jeff summers) -**does that answer ur question TICK:D (stuff is junk, and disturbingly expensive - also, dont count on gettin ne $ back if u want to return it)
Now I wouldn't say that their products are junk, just WAY overpriced compared to Molecular products. At least not their Maxteron or Equibolan. And I recently read on bb.com that somebody returned their products and had no problem. All that said, I still wouldn't order from them.

Okay, somebody shoot me now, I've defended Impact! :mad:

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Kay
i dont know, maybe i am oen who falls for stupid things, or maybe i am ignorant, or lazy to do research.
My regiment currently includes tribulus, ecdymax, Cutting gel.
SHYT

Is it working?

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Supa Freek 420

Now I wouldn't say that their products are junk, just WAY overpriced compared to Molecular products. At least not their Maxteron or Equibolan. And I recently read on bb.com that somebody returned their products and had no problem. All that said, I still wouldn't order from them.

Okay, somebody shoot me now, I've defended Impact! :mad:

Don't worry I like VPX, same as you the are way over price, their junk really works, if you have the money to spend. I like some of their stuff, I found a merchant cut a deal with me so I get wholesale prices. So I am doing okay. But I am hook with transdermal.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
TripleXXX Anabolic Compound......lame

TRIPLE XXX ANABOLIC COMPOUND
Triple XXX increases Testosterone levels 3-ways! Testosterone is the most powerful anabolic muscle producing hormone found in the body! Triple XXX contains the newest anabolic on the market (Dihydroxyflovone)!
Each Triple XXX anabolic compound tablet contains:

5 MG DIHYDROXYFLOVONE - Newest hi-tech anabolic, blocks your body from converting Testosterone (good) into estrogen (bad). Allows your body's Testosterone levels in the blood to increase and stimulate your pituitary glands' own production of Testosterone. This is a true breakthrough in anabolic stimulation.

5 MG BORON (GLUCONATE) - Increases Testosterone levels up to 200%. Boron is a safe and effective way of raising your Testosterone level. Increased Testosterone means faster muscle growth along with increased fat burning.

500 MG TRIBULUS-TERRESTRIS - Imported directly from Bulgaria, this anabolic is absolutely the best muscle and strength producing ingredient available. Tests on healthy men show Testosterone levels significantly increased 30% or more in just 5 days.

50 MG ANDROSTENEDIONE - European studies show that Androstenedione is converted to Testosterone in the liver. Studies indicate a boost in Testosterone levels of 337%. This product is a direct Testosterone precursor - that is one metabolic step away from pure Testosterone. Androstenedione is the true East German secret!

Triple XXX Compound could make all other anabolic supplements obsolete!

100% GUARANTEED RESULTS!

**Found this today after my friends spent well over $100 for it all.....what a joke, for obvious reasons, just read how lame the AD is even....cant wait to see their disappointed faces ;)

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Damn, bro. All that education, all that knowledge at your friend's disposal, and they thumb their noses in your face.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Damn, bro. All that education, all that knowledge at your friend's disposal, and they thumb their noses in your face.
Exactly, but they're the "Creatine gives you kidney cancer" kind of guys who wont listen to me because they heard it on TV so it must be, so I leave them alone when it comes to supplements etc. They'll learn like we all did I suppose.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Tell them uncapped ALA really isn't useless, maybe they'll buy some cell-tech.:saw:

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused
well i have 2 SUSPECT scam products. it would be truly awesome if da **** really works, but momma did'nt raise no fool!!!! i have included links 2 each product so u can read 4 yourself & hopefully come back & share ur opinion.

http://www.anabolicstore.com/details/genedge.htm

http://www.inpactnutrition.com/intermission_a.html

@ the impact nutrition website.
go to products.
click on the product INTERMISSION

These are both Jeff Summer's products. I have no experience with them.

Here's what in GenEdge:
Macuna Pruirens (l-dopa precursor)
Arginine
Melatonin
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)

I would say this is garbage. IMO any GH increasing supplement is most likely garbage. Price: $90

Probably an amino acid supplement would work better than this.

Intermission is supposed to be what you take inbetween steroids.

Here's the ingredients:

5-androstene-3 beta, 16 alpha, 17 beta-triol (I believe this converts to DHT and binds to the estrogen receptors, making it a anti-e)

Tribulus terrestris
Methoxy
ecysterone
Bioperine (no idea what this is)

I would say this is also garbage. It may work as a week anti-e, but its not worth $90

I would just replace this with Nolva/6-oxo or your favorite anti-e

bpdaddy

Banned
Awards
Yellow Jackets ECA, JK YJ!!!

• Methoxy junk
  • Myostatin
  • Creatine Serum
  • Beef liver
  • HMB

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
· Glutamine
· Rhodiola
· Yohimbe
· Cordyceps fungus
· Shilajit or mummio
· Smilax
· Avena Sativa (oats)
· Muira puama
· Ecdysterone (Suma)
· Tribulus terrestris
· Liquid Creatine
· Saw palmetto berries
· ß-sitosterol and other related sterols
· Diosgenin (wild yams)
· Methoxy
· CSP-3 (Myostatin Inhibitor)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got some HMB from bulknutrition and have been taking 3 grams a day for about 2 months. I do notice a real difference. Especially it seems it muscular endurance. Its very inexpensive if you buy it in bulk. I would say its worth it. I think most of avant labs products are a joke.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
? Glutamine
At high doses 30-40g ED it seems to help retaining muscles, expecially during cutting

? saw palmetto (berries)
Why?
Taken at the right dose, it works exactly as the extract.
Of course the use of Saw palmetto is to relieve BPH.

? beta-sitosterol and other related sterols
Same as above, altough Saw Palmetto is better.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is worthless. At 30-40g a day, 90% doens't even escape the gut and the rest udring cutting probably is converted into glucose via gluconeogensis. The studies are very conclusive on this one.
uhm... are you sure? why people tells that for them it works?
Same thing about lower doses of glutammine peptides form.

Personally, I took it at low dose - did nothinh
Took 1 month break - no change
Actually i'm dosing it at 30g split in 2 doses ED. I cant say if its working or not, it needs 2 weeks to kick in anyway.
When i finish the jar, I'll decide if its worth the money or not.

Still big "?" for me

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
uhm... are you sure? why people tells that for them it works?
Same thing about lower doses of glutammine peptides form.

Personally, I took it at low dose - did nothinh
Took 1 month break - no change
Actually i'm dosing it at 30g split in 2 doses ED. I cant say if its working or not, it needs 2 weeks to kick in anyway.
When i finish the jar, I'll decide if its worth the money or not.

Still big "?" for me
Umm.. yeah I'm sure.

It doesn't matter if its peptide form either, the gut destroys almost 80-90% of it.

Amino acids don't need time to "kick in".

Here is one with high dose:

The effects of high-dose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance.

Antonio J, Sanders MS, Kalman D, Woodgate D, Street C.

Sports Science Laboratory, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA.

The purpose of this study was to determine if high-dose glutamine ingestion affected weightlifting performance. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study, 6 resistance-trained men (mean +/- SE: age, 21.5 +/- 0.3 years; weight, 76.5 +/- 2.8 kg(-1)) performed weightlifting exercises after the ingestion of glutamine or glycine (0.3 g x kg(-1)) mixed with calorie-free fruit juice or placebo (calorie-free fruit juice only). Each subject underwent each of the 3 treatments in a randomized order. One hour after ingestion, subjects performed 4 total sets of exercise to momentary muscular failure (2 sets of leg presses at 200% of body weight, 2 sets of bench presses at 100% of body weight). There were no differences in the average number of maximal repetitions performed in the leg press or bench press exercises among the 3 groups. These data indicate that the short-term ingestion of glutamine does not enhance weightlifting performance in resistance-trained men.

The effect of free glutamine and peptide ingestion on the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis in man.

van Hall G, Saris WH, van de Schoor PA, Wagenmakers AJ.

Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, The Netherlands. [email protected]

The present study investigated previous claims that ingestion of glutamine and of protein-carbohydrate mixtures may increase the rate of glycogen resynthesis following intense exercise. Eight trained subjects were studied during 3 h of recovery while consuming one of four drinks in random order. Drinks were ingested in three 500 ml boluses, immediately after exercise and then after 1 and 2 h of recovery. Each bolus of the control drink contained 0.8 g x kg(-1) body weight of glucose. The other drinks contained the same amount of glucose and 0.3 g x kg(-1) body weight of 1) glutamine, 2) a wheat hydrolysate (26% glutamine) and 3) a whey hydrolysate (6.6% glutamine). Plasma glutamine, decreased by approximately 20% during recovery with ingestion of the control drink, no changes with ingestion of the protein hydrolysates drinks, and a 2-fold increase with ingestion of the free glutamine drinks. The rate of glycogen resynthesis was not significantly different in the four tests: 28 +/- 5, 26 +/- 6, 33 +/- 4, and 34 +/- 3 mmol glucosyl units x kg(-1) dry weight muscle x h(-1) for the control, glutamine, wheat- and whey hydrolysate ingestion, respectively. It is concluded that ingestion of a glutamine/carbohydrate mixture does not increase the rate of glycogen resynthesis in muscle. Glycogen resynthesis rates were higher, although not statistically significant, after ingestion of the drink containing the wheat (21 +/- 8%) and whey protein hydrolysate (20 +/- 6%) compared to ingestion of the control and free glutamine drinks, implying that further research is needed on the potential protein effect.

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults.

Candow DG, Chilibeck PD, Burke DG, Davison KS, Smith-Palmer T.

College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 14 during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P < 0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

Effect of glutamine and protein supplementation on exercise-induced decreases in salivary IgA.

Krzywkowski K, Petersen EW, Ostrowski K, Link-Amster H, Boza J, Halkjaer-Kristensen J, Pedersen BK.

The Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Rigshospitalet, 2200 Copenhagen, Denmark.

Postexercise immune impairment has been linked to exercise-induced decrease in plasma glutamine concentration. This study examined the possibility of abolishing the exercise-induced decrease in salivary IgA through glutamine supplementation during and after intense exercise. Eleven athletes performed cycle ergometer exercise for 2 h at 75% of maximal oxygen uptake on 3 separate days. Glutamine (a total of 17.5 g), protein (a total of 68.5 g/6.2 g protein-bound glutamine), and placebo supplements were given during and up to 2 h after exercise. Unstimulated, timed saliva samples were obtained before exercise and 20 min, 140 min, 4 h, and 22 h postexercise. The exercise protocol induced a decrease in salivary IgA (IgA concentration, IgA output, and IgA relative to total protein). The plasma concentration of glutamine was decreased by 15% 2 h postexercise in the placebo group, whereas this decline was abolished by both glutamine and protein supplements.None of the supplements, however, was able to abolish the decline in salivary IgA. This study does not support that postexercise decrease in salivary IgA is related to plasma glutamine concentrations.

Should I Spend my Hard-Earned Money on Glutamine or Hookers?

.... A high protein diet provides a big whack of glutamine as it is. In fact, if you follow standard bodybuilding protein recommendations, about 10% of your total dietary protein intake is composed of glutamine (milk proteins are composed of somewhere between 3 � 10% glutamine while meat is composed of about 15% glutamine). This means that a high protein diet (400g/day) already provides me with about 40g of glutamine.

� While the theorists still cling to the idea that since glutamine helps clinical stress, it might help with exercise stress, it�s important to note that exercise stress has got nothin� on surgery, cancer, sepsis, burns, etc. For example, when compared with downhill running or weight lifting, urinary nitrogen loss is 15x (1400%) greater in minor surgery, 25x (2400%) greater in major surgery, and 33x (3200%) greater in sepsis. When it comes to the immune response, it�s about 9x (800%) greater with surgery. When it comes to metabolic increase, it�s 7x (600%) greater with burn injury, and when it comes to creatine kinase release; it�s about 2x (100%) greater with surgery. As I said, exercise has got nothin� on real, clinical stress. It�s like trying to compare the damage inflicted by a peashooter and that inflicted by a rocket launcher.

� The major studies examining glutamine supplementation in otherwise healthy weightlifters have shown no effect. In the study by Candow et al (2001), 0.9g of supplemental glutamine/kg/day had no impact on muscle performance, body composition, and protein degradation. Folks, that's 90g per day for some lifters.

� The majority of the studies using glutamine supplementation in endurance athletes have shown little to no measurable benefit on performance or immune function.

� And with respect to glycogen replenishment in endurance athletes, it's interesting to note that the first study that looked at glycogen resynthesis using glutamine missed a couple of things. Basically, the study showed that after a few glycogen depleting hours of cycling at a high percentage of VO2 max interspersed with very intense cycle sprints that were supramaximal, a drink containing 8g of glutamine replenished glycogen to the same extent as a drink containing 61g of carbohydrate.

The problem was that during the recovery period, a constant IV infusion of labeled glucose was given (i.e., a little bit of glucose was given to both groups by IV infusion). While this isn't too big of a deal on its own since the infusion only provided a couple of grams of glucose, the other problem is that during glycogen depleting exercise, a lot of alanine, lactate, and other gluconeogenic precursors are released from the muscle.

What this means is that there's a good amount of glucose that will be formed after such exercise, glucose that will be made in the liver from the gluconeogenic precursors and that will travel to the muscle to replenish glycogen. Therefore, without a placebo group that receives no calories, carbohydrates, or glutamine, we have no idea of knowing whether or not the placebo would have generated the same amount of glycogen replenishment as the glutamine group or the glutamine plus carbohydrate group. To say it another way, perhaps there's a normal glycogen replenishment curve that was unaffected by any of the treatments.

� And finally, with respect to the claims that glutamine might increase cell swelling/volume (something I once believed was a reality), we decided to test this theory out in our lab using multifrequency bioelectric impedance analysis as well as magnetic resonance spectroscopy. The pilot data that's kicking around has demonstrated that glutamine supplementation has no effect on total body water, intracellular fluid volumes, or extracellular fluid volumes (as measured by mBIA) and has no effect on muscle volume (as measured by nMRS)...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oxidation of glutamine by the splanchnic bed in humans.

Haisch M, Fukagawa NK, Matthews DE.

Departments of Medicine and Chemistry, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA.

[1,2-(13)C(2)]glutamine and [ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine were infused for 7 h into five postabsorptive healthy subjects on two occasions. On one occasion, the tracers were infused intravenously for 3.5 h and then by a nasogastric tube for 3.5 h. The order of infusion was reversed on the other occasion. From the plasma tracer enrichment measurements at plateau during the intravenous and nasogastric infusion periods, we determined that 27 +/- 2% of the enterally delivered phenylalanine and 64 +/- 2% of the glutamine were removed on the first pass by the splanchnic bed. Glutamine flux was 303 +/- 8 micromol. kg(-1). h(-1). Of the enterally delivered [(13)C]glutamine tracer, 73 +/- 2% was recovered as exhaled CO(2) compared with 58 +/- 1% of the intravenously infused tracer. The fraction of the enterally delivered tracer that was oxidized specifically on the first pass by the splanchnic bed was 53 +/- 2%, comprising 83% of the total tracer extracted. From the appearance of (13)C in plasma glucose, we estimated that 7 and 10% of the intravenously and nasogastrically infused glutamine tracers, respectively, were converted to glucose. The results for glutamine flux and first-pass extraction were similar to our previously reported values when a [2-(15)N]glutamine tracer [Matthews DE, Morano MA, and Campbell RG, Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 264: E848-E854, 1993] was used. The results of [(13)C]glutamine tracer disposal demonstrate that the major fate of enteral glutamine extraction is for oxidation and that only a minor portion is used for gluconeogenesis.

Oxidation of glutamic acid by the splanchnic bed in humans.

Battezzati A, Brillon DJ, Matthews DE.

Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA.

[1,2-13C2]glutamate and [ring-2H5]phenylalanine were infused for 7 h into postabsorptive healthy subjects on two occasions. The tracer infusion was by the intravenous route for 3.5 h and by the nasogastric route for 3.5 h. The order of tracer infusion routes was switched between the two occasions. From the plasma tracer enrichment measurements at plateau during the intravenous and enteral infusion periods, we determined that 33 +/- 3% of the enterally delivered phenylalanine and 96 +/- 1% of the glutamate were removed on the first pass by the splanchnic bed; 78 +/- 3% of the enterally delivered [13C]glutamate tracer was recovered as exhaled CO2 compared with 79 +/- 2% of the intravenously infused tracer. The fraction of the enterally delivered tracer that was sequestered specifically on the first pass by the splanchnic bed was 75 +/- 2%. These results verify the previously reported large uptake of [15N]glutamate by the splanchnic bed [Matthews et al. Am. J. Physiol. 264 (Endocrinol. Metab. 27): E848-E854, 1993] and demonstrate that the uptake of tracer is not due to an artifactual loss of the 15N tracer by reversible transamination but to glutamate uptake for oxidation.

sicosico

Awards
  • Established

you can not say scam without mentioning myostatin :whip:

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
I'm with the clown, much rather spend my money on hookers.....

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you, Bobo.
I will never stop learning from you an this board :D
I knew I kept this board up for a reason :D

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Of course the use of Saw palmetto is to relieve BPH.
beta-sitosterol and other related sterols
Same as above, altough Saw Palmetto is better.
Sorry Syr, but I couldn't disagree more. After 3 years of taking Saw Palmetto and now 3 taking Beta Sitosterol (along with other Sterols) my prostate problems have essentially vanished. The symptoms which lessened greatly with the SP have disappeared and stayed away with the B-S. I also used to use Pygeum, Pumpkin Seed Oil and Stinging Nettles til Idiscovered that the BetaStosterol was the active ingredient in all of them. Now I just take 300 mgs each of the Beta and other mixed plant Sterols twice a day. In the process I skip the "fatty acids" which make up up most of the SP capsules.

Here's a non-manufacturer comment from http://www.nutritional-supplement-info.com/beta-sitosterol.html

"Beta Sitosterol is a nutrient that has a wide range of health benefits. Most notably, clinical studies show that it exerts a powerful influence on male prostate health.

Most men with prostate issues have heard of the herb Saw Palmetto as a prostate supplement, but almost none have heard of Beta Sitosterol. This is unfortunate, as Beta Sitosterol is thousands of times more potent and effective than Saw Palmetto.

Indeed, the benefits of Saw Palmetto as a prostate supplement are derived almost exclusively from the small component that is beta sitosterol."

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Sorry Syr, but I couldn't disagree more. After 3 years of taking Saw Palmetto and now 3 taking Beta Sitosterol (along with other Sterols) my prostate problems have essentially vanished. The symptoms which lessened greatly with the SP have disappeared and stayed away with the B-S. I also used to use Pygeum, Pumpkin Seed Oil and Stinging Nettles til Idiscovered that the BetaStosterol was the active ingredient in all of them. Now I just take 300 mgs each of the Beta and other mixed plant Sterols twice a day. In the process I skip the "fatty acids" which make up up most of the SP capsules.

Here's a non-manufacturer comment from http://www.nutritional-supplement-info.com/beta-sitosterol.html

"Beta Sitosterol is a nutrient that has a wide range of health benefits. Most notably, clinical studies show that it exerts a powerful influence on male prostate health.

Most men with prostate issues have heard of the herb Saw Palmetto as a prostate supplement, but almost none have heard of Beta Sitosterol. This is unfortunate, as Beta Sitosterol is thousands of times more potent and effective than Saw Palmetto.

Indeed, the benefits of Saw Palmetto as a prostate supplement are derived almost exclusively from the small component that is beta sitosterol."
I have to partially disagree with you.
I read of a clinical trial where Saw palmetto is compared to beta-sitosterol. The conclusion of that study is that saw palmetto has a much greater effectiveness, due to the whole ingredients it contains. Gimme a few mins to eat and then i'll try to find and post it.

The point is not that beta-sis does not work, but that its not the "almost exclusively" only active components in SP.

Please tell me if my guess is correct: when did you take SP alone, how much was the beta-sis dosage compared to the subsequent period when you took only beta-sis?
I think that your SP dosage was too low at first, and that if you kept taking SP at ahigher dose, your symptoms would have disappeared earlier.

I had prostate issues this summer for the first time and they vanished with a 3,15g SP powder (equovalent to 320mg extract ED) within WEEKS. Since then i'm on maintenance dose of around half that. To be completely honest, since i had some bladder issues caused by prostate inflammation i took also d-mannose. So it wasnt SP alone that cleared my symptoms.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I think i read of a real world trial, but now i could find only this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10068345

Saw palmetto extracts potently and noncompetitively inhibit human alpha1-adrenoceptors in vitro.

Goepel M, Hecker U, Krege S, Rubben H, Michel MC.

Department of Urology, University of Essen, Germany. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: We wanted to test whether phytotherapeutic agents used in the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms have alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonistic properties in vitro. METHODS: Preparations of beta-sitosterol and extracts of stinging nettle, medicinal pumpkin, and saw palmetto were obtained from several pharmaceutical companies. They were tested for their ability to inhibit [3H]tamsulosin binding to human prostatic alpha1-adrenoceptors and [3H]prazosin binding to cloned human alpha1A- and alpha1B-adrenoceptors. Inhibition of phenylephrine-stimulated [3H]inositol phosphate formation by cloned receptors was also investigated. RESULTS: Up to the highest concentration which could be tested, preparations of beta-sitosterol, stinging nettle, and medicinal pumpkin were without consistent inhibitory effect in all assays. In contrast, all tested saw palmetto extracts inhibited radioligand binding to human alpha1-adrenoceptors and agonist-induced [3H]inositol phosphate formation. Saturation binding experiments in the presence of a single saw palmetto extract concentration indicated a noncompetitive antagonism. The relationship between active concentrations in vitro and recommended therapeutic doses for the saw palmetto extracts was slightly lower than that for several chemically defined alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonists. CONCLUSIONS: Saw palmetto extracts have alpha1-adrenoceptor-inhibitory properties. If bioavailability and other pharmacokinetic properties of these ingredients are similar to those of the chemically defined alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonists, alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonism might be involved in the therapeutic effects of these extracts in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms suggestive of benign prostatic obstruction.

PMID: 10068345 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Bobo,
Look what i found:

[size=+1]Supplementation with a combination of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB), arginine, and glutamine is safe and could improve hematological parameters.[/size]

Rathmacher JA, Nissen S, Panton L, Clark RH, Eubanks May P, Barber AE, D'Olimpio J, Abumrad NN.

Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Combining the amino acids arginine and glutamine with the leucine metabolite beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) has been shown to reverse lean tissue loss in cancer and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) patients. Although each of these nutrients has been shown to be safe, the safety of this mixture has not been reported. Three double-blind studies examined the safety of the combination of HMB, arginine and glutamine on blood chemistries, hematology, emotional profile, and adverse events. METHODS: Study 1 was conducted in healthy adult males (n = 34), study 2 was in HIV patients with AIDS-associated weight loss (n = 43), and study 3 was in cancer patients with wasting (n = 32). Volunteers were assigned to either a placebo or a mixture of 3 g HMB, 14 g arginine, and 14 g glutamine per day. RESULTS: Across the 3 studies, HMB, arginine, and glutamine supplementation was not associated with any adverse indicators of health. The only significant changes noted were positive indicators of health status. HMB, arginine, and glutamine supplementation was associated with an improvement in emotional profile (p = .05), a decreased feeling of weakness (p = .03), and increased red blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit, lymphocytes, and eosinophils (p < .05) when compared with placebo-supplemented subjects. Blood creatinine levels were not changed. However, blood urea nitrogen increased (p = .01) with HMB, arginine, and glutamine supplementation, which was possibly caused by the additional nitrogen consumed or to the fact that ureagenesis is influenced by arginine and glutamine supplementation. CONCLUSION: These results show that HMB, arginine, and glutamine can be safely used to treat muscle wasting associated with AIDS and cancer.

PMID: 15080599 [PubMed - in process]

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
Syr - I think I remember seeing this arguement brought up a long time ago (year or so maybe). Yes it may be true that glutamine along w/ HMB and arginine is helpful in treating muscle loss due to cancer and aids, it has little to NO effect on healthy men and heavy resistance training.

pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
glutamine was a complete waste of money for me. I tried the recommended dosage, i megadosed it @ 30-40g per day. I tried it preworkout, postworkout, morning and night.

I did not see recovery enhancement until I increased my protein intake from 1g/lb to 2g/lb This is when I noticed dramatic muscle growth and enhanced recovery.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Syr - I think I remember seeing this arguement brought up a long time ago (year or so maybe). Yes it may be true that glutamine along w/ HMB and arginine is helpful in treating muscle loss due to cancer and aids, it has little to NO effect on healthy men and heavy resistance training.
i'm not 100% sure, but the margin is low and only in this combo.
A LOT of studies made on cancer/HIV patients have proved to give benefits to healthy athletes as well. In this case, the HMB+arginine+glutammine may work only as anti-catabolic, hence be useful only while cutting or during PCT.

Anyway, I have yet some glutammine to finish and i'll stack with HMB

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Why the bashing of the cutting-type gels? I've read people have had good results with yohimbine cutting gels - like Lipoderm-Y.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'm not 100% sure, but the margin is low and only in this combo.
A LOT of studies made on cancer/HIV patients have proved to give benefits to healthy athletes as well. In this case, the HMB+arginine+glutammine may work only as anti-catabolic, hence be useful only while cutting or during PCT.

Anyway, I have yet some glutammine to finish and i'll stack with HMB
THe studies with glutamine use on AIDS patients has absolutely nothing to do with normal men. When given alone gltuamine has zero effect taken orally. THe only time glutamine was shown to be anti-catabolic alone is when its given intravenously. Gltuamine orally simply does not survive much past the gut.

OTOH HMB and Arginine has been shown to have postivie effect in normal man given orally. So bascially you could have just given the arginine and HMB in the study above and probably have the same results.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why the bashing of the cutting-type gels? I've read people have had good results with yohimbine cutting gels - like Lipoderm-Y.
Becuase when this thread was started Yohimbine topicals were not considered "cutting gels". CUtting gels were diuretic's that claimed to burn fat.