Whats missing / wrong with my costom PWO shake?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.1%

Whats missing / wrong with my costom PWO shake?

Hi Guys,

Been using Whey protein for a long while now, also creatine mono for a few cycles, recently I've started on BCAA caps now I'm going to give Glutamine a bash.

With all this lot I've basically got the main individual ingredients of a high performance (and price) Protein product so I'm thinking it'll make sense / be more convenient to make my own version of it and combine this stuff into 1 drink.

So I'm going for something like this:

48g Whey isolate
    48g Dextrose
    5g Creapure Creatine
    5g Glutamine
    (washing down 2 caps (2g) of BCAA)

I'll normally take this twice a day, PWO and in the afternoon as a mini meal.

Is there anything wrong with my basic recipe / proportions? Anything you'd suggest adding to it?

cheers,

Batesy

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'd sub the dextrose for oats, but thats just me.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.1%

Why's that mate?

I know Oats are a good source of carbs but aren't they slower release than dextrose?

The Dextrose is in there for the fabled 'insulin spike' for optimal creatine uptake.

Maybe if they are milled super fine there's not much difference?

The oats would certainly make for a more filling shake I think. Would be better in the afternoon one.

Batesy
    •   

4. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Here ya go.

The perfect postworkout protein protocol

Topic has been covered many times and in my mind low GI wins everytime.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%

Check our Core PWO...it is Core Nutritionals' all in one PWO recovery drink. I designed this after my PWO protocol.

Doug Miller
    IFPA PRO
    Vice President of Sales and Product Development
    Bodybuilding Forum - Supplement Review - Anabolicminds.com
  6. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

Quote Originally Posted by dam225
    Check our Core PWO...it is Core Nutritionals' all in one PWO recovery drink. I designed this after my PWO protocol.

Doug Miller
    IFPA PRO
    Vice President of Sales and Product Development
    Bodybuilding Forum - Supplement Review - Anabolicminds.com
    Same garbage found in all the other wrong headed PWO formulas. Using the term "designed" seems to be stretching it a little don't you think?
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.1%

Cheers for the link BP, wow that's some discussion going on there! Interesting.

Looking at this and some other research I'm going to go up on the carbs (2:1) with Dextrose am and ultra fine oats pm.

Dam I don't know if I'm missing something but other than Taurine there's nothing in there that's not in mine? (or the sports drink during WO) Also the amounts of each ingredient are lower as well.

One of the reasons I'm doing my own is that it will work out cheaper than the ready made commercial products and I can ensure I have effective amounts of the active ingredients in there. Also the ingredients I'm using are the highest quality (ie. Creapure creatine, Whey isolate not conc etc). I don't see a benefit in the Core product other than no measuring?

Batesy
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Batesy
    Cheers for the link BP, wow that's some discussion going on there! Interesting.

Looking at this and some other research I'm going to go up on the carbs (2:1) with Dextrose am and ultra fine oats pm.

Dam I don't know if I'm missing something but other than Taurine there's nothing in there that's not in mine? (or the sports drink during WO) Also the amounts of each ingredient are lower as well.

One of the reasons I'm doing my own is that it will work out cheaper than the ready made commercial products and I can ensure I have effective amounts of the active ingredients in there. Also the ingredients I'm using are the highest quality (ie. Creapure creatine, Whey isolate not conc etc). I don't see a benefit in the Core product other than no measuring?

Batesy
    We use only the highest quality CFM whey isolate in Core PWO. You are absolutely correct though that this isn't something earth shattering; it was "designed" to take the guess work out of the PWO shake and one of its main benefits is that you don't have to mix 4+ powders to create you PWO shake. It also was "designed" based on the ratios which I have found to work extremely well for me. Try it or don't. I just wanted to give you all the option.

Good luck,
    Doug
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Same garbage found in all the other wrong headed PWO formulas. Using the term "designed" seems to be stretching it a little don't you think?
    "Garbage"? Please explain. I hardly considered CFM Whey Isolate, Dextrose, BCAAs, etc garbage PWO.....but whatever works for you go with it.
  10. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

"Garbage"? Please explain. I hardly considered CFM Whey Isolate, Dextrose, BCAAs, etc garbage PWO.....but whatever works for you go with it.
    Dextrose is garbage. Glutamine supplementation is useless. May be my opinion but it is shared by those in the know and not necessarily by those who pop on here spamming products. This was a thread about a home brew shake and the request of input regarding such. Why would you then come on here and peddle your wares?
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.39%

i would use vitargo instead of dextrose and CEE instead of monohydrate. bump the glutamine up to ten grams. then wait 15 minutes and drink your whey seperately.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%

Dextrose is garbage. Glutamine supplementation is useless. May be my opinion but it is shared by those in the know and not necessarily by those who pop on here spamming products. This was a thread about a home brew shake and the request of input regarding such. Why would you then come on here and peddle your wares?
    bp - I'm not sure who is in the "know" but dextrose is certainly not garbage PWO. You must be from the oats pwo school, which is fine, but dextrose is extremely effective PWO. It has created many champions and has been proven over and over to be effective. Glutamine, on the otherhand, has some mixed reviews/studies (which I am well aware of). It doesn't effect the price of this product and certainly can't hurt so what is the problem. You sound very high and mighty and I'm sorry if I offended you. I don't care if you try it or not. I suggested it to the person asking about homebrews because I think it is a affordable and effective alternative to "brewing" your own (which can be a pain in the ass). I have been a member of this board much longer than you have and have been following it since its inception. I am no spammer.

Best,
    Doug
  13. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

bp - I'm not sure who is in the "know" but dextrose is certainly not garbage PWO. You must be from the oats pwo school, which is fine, but dextrose is extremely effective PWO. It has created many champions and has been proven over and over to be effective. Glutamine, on the otherhand, has some mixed reviews/studies (which I am well aware of). It doesn't effect the price of this product and certainly can't hurt so what is the problem. You sound very high and mighty and I'm sorry if I offended you. I don't care if you try it or not. I suggested it to the person asking about homebrews because I think it is a affordable and effective alternative to "brewing" your own (which can be a pain in the ass). I have been a member of this board much longer than you have and have been following it since its inception. I am no spammer.

Best,
    Doug
    Doug, sorry for coming off like that. Was having a bad day to start and misread your stats thinking you had 6 posts and were trollin around and droppin spam. I don't mean to come off high and mighty and am certainly not the smartest guy on the block to start with. Please accept my sincere apologies?
    BP
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.55%

The PWO shake will be debated for as long as bodybuilding is around, I guarantee you that. But I for one would go with more dex in it if that is what you are using is dex, 50g is about right for the protein, but I've always done a 2:1 carb to protein ratio, double the carbs that you have protein, so about 50g protein and 100g of dex. Always has worked for me, I know extra "adipose tissue deposits" but whatever, I don't notice it, I lean bulk and do enough cardio to stay at around 12% bf when I bulk.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.55%

glutamine is worthless...stop wasting your money bro
    what are your stats?
    id double your carb to protein ratio or close to it
    and i would add 4+g of taurine postworkout
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%

Doug, sorry for coming off like that. Was having a bad day to start and misread your stats thinking you had 6 posts and were trollin around and droppin spam. I don't mean to come off high and mighty and am certainly not the smartest guy on the block to start with. Please accept my sincere apologies?
    BP

No worries BP!
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Although it has been covered a million times I am going to give the OP my opinion on Dex vs. Oats. The reason why BP is so adimently against them it is Dextrose isn't nutritionally sound in the classic sense, regardless of how one spins it. Does it cause a more beneficial Glucose/Insulin response than a Low-GI carbohydrate, that is very questionable. What is not questionable in this debate is that plain and simple, Dextrose is less likely to be as fully utilized by the body b/c of the rapid Glucose rise and subsequent Insulin response. What that means is the risk for Adipose storage is there, plain and simple. Both work, though IMO at least, the risk for Adipose exists in Dextrose where it does not in Oats
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.55%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Although it has been covered a million times I am going to give the OP my opinion on Dex vs. Oats. The reason why BP is so adimently against them it is Dextrose isn't nutritionally sound in the classic sense, regardless of how one spins it. Does it cause a more beneficial Glucose/Insulin response than a Low-GI carbohydrate, that is very questionable. What is not questionable in this debate is that plain and simple, Dextrose is less likely to be as fully utilized by the body b/c of the rapid Glucose rise and subsequent Insulin response. What that means is the risk for Adipose storage is there, plain and simple. Both work, though IMO at least, the risk for Adipose exists in Dextrose where it does not in Oats
    Yah, but then again, the risk for adipose exists anytime you're takin in a surplus of cals.

For instance, if you give a guy 50g of 75g or whatever it may be of dex PWO, and he's cutting, running on a cal deficit, doing cardio, all that jazz, I guarantee you he is not going to get fatter. I know because I always take that much dex even when I cut.

And on the flip side, even when I bulk, like i said, my diet is clean enough and I do enough cardio that I stay around 12% bf the whole time. I think you can totally control it. I don't think simply taking dex PWO is going to make you fatter, no way. Theres a million other factors that play into it, and a million factors you should be doing to stay away from it that will counteract the dex and make you not even notice it.

That's my opinion
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.92%

I'd suggest this mixture which you can make at true protein.

25% Hydrolyzed whey protein
    25% cold filtered whey isolate
    10% dextrose
    20% waxy maize starch
    20% trehalose

You'll wanna take 60-90 grams (approx 2-3 scoops) of this in water post workout.

Add any creatine or BCAA separately. But let me warn you, it doesn't taste too great. Though it is probably one of the best post workout shakes you could get.
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-
  20. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.55%

Im a HUGE fan of true protein, I use them to make a custom nighttime mix. Also to get WPI ion exchange.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.1%

Cheers all, some excellent info there and I'm sorted.

and Dam just to be clear I wasn't dogging the quality / cost your product, just commenting in general about many of the products of this type.

thanks lads,

Batesy
  22. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon
    Yah, but then again, the risk for adipose exists anytime you're takin in a surplus of cals.

For instance, if you give a guy 50g of 75g or whatever it may be of dex PWO, and he's cutting, running on a cal deficit, doing cardio, all that jazz, I guarantee you he is not going to get fatter. I know because I always take that much dex even when I cut.

And on the flip side, even when I bulk, like i said, my diet is clean enough and I do enough cardio that I stay around 12% bf the whole time. I think you can totally control it. I don't think simply taking dex PWO is going to make you fatter, no way. Theres a million other factors that play into it, and a million factors you should be doing to stay away from it that will counteract the dex and make you not even notice it.

That's my opinion
    Nope, definitely never said that an individual would get fat taking Dex alone. What I did say however, is that undisputably a greater risk for adipose storage exists immediately Post-WO in terms of Dextrose as opposed to a lower glycemic index source.

Reading is an amzing thing no?

23. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

I'm no nutrition guru, but I cannot see how ~100g/d of sugar can be good for you or your body composition.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.1%

Hearing the case against Dex I'm now in agreement. With my BF over 15% (estimate) I'm not willing to take the risk I'm gonna drop the Dex.

This has been a very interesting thread. cheers.

Batesy
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.15%

id throw in some form of ala + more bcaa and/or leucine

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whats wrong with my app?
    By benmayro in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 10:16 PM
  2. whats wrong with my bicep?!
    By hugry4more in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
  3. What The **** Is Wrong With My Computer???
    By canadian champ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
  4. So What's Wrong with Just 1test/4AD??
    By BigVrunga in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 03:26 AM