Bacopa Monniera Disscussion

1. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Bacopa Monniera Disscussion

i decided to do a little research on Bacopa monniera because I see it in alot of supplements. I am on a Fenotest/Anagen/Cissus/Camphbolic/Rem stack and Bacopa is in 4 of those supplements. I decided I should actually research it a little. This site has alot of information on it: Bacopa monniera - Monograph Alternative Medicine Review - Find Articles I dont see anything on how it could be toxic or effects of taking alot of it but does anyone know if I am taking too much? I feel great on this stack and I have really leaned out and am getting bigger/stronger! Cant really say what is doing what but I entend to add powerfull in there when I run out of anagen and fenotest. This stack has also brought my libido back! Thank God.

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

I know Trouble (on a different board) mentioned it and I think Rhodiola as well can be excitatory in high doses. What I don't know is if a certain amount, or just the fact that one needs to work up to a larger dose over time. I would space out those products (ie, don't take them all at once). You may want to cut back on the REM as it probably has the largestt amount (though from the label you can't tell exactly how much). I'm beginning to think the weird reaction people have with the first use of REM is due to it being excitatory in those large doses, and people not being adjusted to it yet. IE, the moral is too start small (1 cap) and work up to those larger doses.

TSC
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

So sides can be what? Anxiety? is that what you mean by excitatory?

Im taking two caps of camph, 9 caps of Fenotest, 6 caps of Anagen, about 7-8 grams of cissus, 1 rem cap.

So just from anagen and fenotest im getting 750mg of bacopa and 1475mg of rhodiola rosea ED....

you mind pm'ing me or letting me know where i can find this Trouble character?
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    So sides can be what? Anxiety? is that what you mean by excitatory?

Im taking two caps of camph, 9 caps of Fenotest, 6 caps of Anagen, about 7-8 grams of cissus, 1 rem cap.

So just from anagen and fenotest im getting 750mg of bacopa and 1475mg of rhodiola rosea ED....

you mind pm'ing me or letting me know where i can find this Trouble character?
    I was typing too fast on my post above and forgot half of the statement: I meant to say that bacopa and rhodiola are excitatory, but in large doses can be excitotoxic.

The amounts you listed aren't that high for a daily total though, so I wouldn't be worried. (I wasn't sure what the amount was in each of those products before).

TSC
  5. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

Quote Originally Posted by tsc
    I was typing too fast on my post above and forgot half of the statement: I meant to say that bacopa and rhodiola are excitatory, but in large doses can be excitotoxic.

The amounts you listed aren't that high for a daily total though, so I wouldn't be worried. (I wasn't sure what the amount was in each of those products before).

TSC
    im sorry i only graduated from kindergarten, what is ecitotoxic/exccitatory?

the amounts arent including REM and Camph....I dont feel any sides anyway i feel like this is a great combo.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    im sorry i only graduated from kindergarten, what is ecitotoxic/exccitatory?

the amounts arent including REM and Camph....I dont feel any sides anyway i feel like this is a great combo.
    I'll try to do a brief explanation, and provide a better link with a good bit of info. Excitatory refers to the ability of a compound to activate neurons in the brain. This isn't a bad thing, as your brain would be mush without them. Glutamate and Aspartate are the main excitatory neutransmittors. Too much of these is what can cause major problems.

I'm sure you've heard of the negative rep MSG (monosodium GLUTAMATE) and Aspartame (breaks down into ASPARTATE) have. This is why, as they both contain the excitatory neutrasmittors. Basically your brain can't handle all of the extras without a price.

"Excitotoxins are biochemical substances (usually amino acids, amino acid analogs, or amino acid derivatives) that can react with specialized neuronal receptors - glutamate receptors - in the brain or spinal cord in such a way as to cause injury or death to a wide variety of neurons"

The above definition (in quotes) came from

excitotoxin article by James South

So, basically, too much of a good thing is bad.

TSC
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm beginning to think the weird reaction people have with the first use of REM is due to it being excitatory in those large doses, and people not being adjusted to it yet. IE, the moral is too start small (1 cap) and work up to those larger doses.

TSC
    Good theory on the REM. User feedback is too consistent to write it off as random anomalous reactions. Something is going on and it seems to take a couple days to "break in" before many people experience the positive effects (I love REM).
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    Good theory on the REM. User feedback is too consistent to write it off as random anomalous reactions. Something is going on and it seems to take a couple days to "break in" before many people experience the positive effects (I love REM).
    It took me awhile to figure that out, as the first night I was stupid and took all four caps (having never used bacopa before in any product). It was a very weird sensation. I have no issues like that at all now, and really like REM as well. A simple addition to the label recommending a slow ramp up would probably eliminate the issues some people have (some of whom stop using it after one try). I'd be willing to bet people that had used a decent dose of bacopa before didn't have any reaction when trying REM for the first time.

TSC
  9. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.66%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Also look at it's thyroid activating properties.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  10. Guest

It took me awhile to figure that out, as the first night I was stupid and took all four caps (having never used bacopa before in any product). It was a very weird sensation. I have no issues like that at all now, and really like REM as well. A simple addition to the label recommending a slow ramp up would probably eliminate the issues some people have (some of whom stop using it after one try). I'd be willing to bet people that had used a decent dose of bacopa before didn't have any reaction when trying REM for the first time.

TSC
    Bacopa and Rhodiola are opposite at high dose.

Bacopa's traditional use as an anti-anxiety remedy in Ayurvedic medicine is supported by both animal and clinical research. Research using a rat model of clinical anxiety demonstrated a Bacopa extract of 25-percent bacoside A exerted anxiolytic activity comparable to Lorazepam, a common benzodiazapene anxiolytic drug. Importantly, the Bacopa extract did not induce amnesia, side effects associated with Lorazepam, but instead had a memory-enhancing effect (30).

Rhodiola excites with large dose.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.66%

Talking

TSC
    amen to that, bro.

i've used some decent bacopa pills from "source naturals" and then went on to some bulk powder from one of the sponsors. very nice stuff, nice mood boost and good energy. i've read of bacopa actually having neuro-protective properties... maybe this is too much having deleterious effects..

anyway, i had that previous experience with bacopa, and i can tell you dudes... man, i got the REM that listed 4 capsules as the recommended dose, but.. curiously enough i only took 3, just like on a different (earlier) bottle of REM i got a hold of (had to, i love the stuff too!). on that first dose of 3 capsules (i open them and spill their contents into water because i think gelatin is icky) i went into a wonderful la-la state and was shunted into a deep, wonderful sleep. woke up rested and strong. no unwanted initial sides.

so there ya go, don'cha know?
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

bump...I was wondering about this too (too late to read now though).
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I've used Lorazapam and Rem does feel similar to it, minus the hangover effect.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Rhodi is my favorite and I now stack it with Ashwagandha. Really helps with stress. I only use REM intermittenly when I want a deeper sleep for recovery..ie after leg day.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.66%

Red face The Apology

Hey, bioman. I remember what you wrote in that one splooge thread and, uh.. it reminded me of my favorite personality (mine). So... uh.. I don't hate you anymore. I'm sorry it took me this long to say. I don't hate you anymore for controlling me. There. I said it. [sigh]

Now let's all have a good sleep. My arms are tired.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rhodiola Rosea/Bacopa Monnieri/Aswhaganda
    By Ephedraboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 10:22 AM
  2. Does anyone have Experience with BACOPA MONNIERA ?
    By pressureSpike in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 10:11 PM
  3. ashwagandha/ bacopa/ rhodolia and Birth Control
    By bulls**t in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 08:07 PM