Curcumin aids immune system in ridding brain of plaque

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
October 4, 2006

Curcumin aids immune system in ridding brain of plaque

A report appearing in the October, 2006 issue of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease described the discovery of researchers at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System that curcumin, a compound occurring in the spice turmeric, assists the immune system in the clearance of amyloid beta in the brain. Amyloid beta is a substance that accumulates in the brains of Alzheimer's patients to form the plaques that are characteristic of the disease.

The research team used cell cultures of macrophages obtained from 3 healthy individuals and six Alzheimer's disease patients aged 65 to 84. Macrophages are innate immune system cells that patrol the body, consuming waste products. Before treatment with curcumin, macrophages derived from Alzheimer's disease patients demonstrated a lower uptake of beta amyloid than those derived from the healthy controls. Additional cultures of macrophages received no treatment. After 24 hours of treatment with a drug derived from curcumin the cells were exposed to amyloid beta.

The researchers found that curcumin-treated macrophages from three Alzheimer's disease patients demonstrated improved ingestion of amyloid beta compared to macrophages from Alzheimer's patients that did not receive the compound. Cells from healthy individuals, which effectively cleared amyloid beta, showed no change after treatment.

Study coauthor Dr Milan Fiala observed that the macrophages that improved after treatment with curcumin were from younger patients and those with less dementia. "Curcumin improved ingestion of amyloid beta by immune cells in 50 percent of patients with Alzheimer's disease. These initial findings demonstrate that curcumin may help boost the immune system of specific Alzheimer's disease patients," he stated.

"We are hopeful that these positive results in a test tube may translate to clinical use, but more studies need to be done before curcumin can be recommended," Dr Fiala added.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'd have to go look for the article again, but this is not so new news. The fact that curcuminoids can prevent the plaque build up and possibly undue some of the previous damage has been presented before. Maybe this was follow up, or just a different group of researchers. I think the connection is that alzheimer's stims basically from inflammation, and curcuminoids are exceptional anti-inflammatories. This is grossly oversimplified, but thats the gist. Just another great reason to use curcumin! there are many more. Its basically a safe "wonder" drug.

TSC

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to go look for the article again, but this is not so new news. The fact that curcuminoids can prevent the plaque build up and possibly undue some of the previous damage has been presented before. Maybe this was follow up, or just a different group of researchers. I think the connection is that alzheimer's stims basically from inflammation, and curcuminoids are exceptional anti-inflammatories. This is grossly oversimplified, but thats the gist. Just another great reason to use curcumin! there are many more. Its basically a safe "wonder" drug.

TSC
There have been a number of population studies citing this. What I believe is new in this study is how curcumin apparently changes the actions of macrophages to clear out the plaques. In other words, they believe they've identified the (or perhaps one of the ) mechanisms of action to explain the results observed by others.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
There have been a number of population studies citing this. What I believe is new in this study is how curcumin apparently changes the actions of macrophages to clear out the plaques. In other words, they believe they've identified the (or perhaps one of the ) mechanisms of action to explain the results observed by others.
I predict there will be a big pharma/university study to conclude these findings, then an expensive prescription version of curcumin.
that is co-released with another study that concludes that the herbal version is ineffective. Am I being too skepticall?

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I predict there will be a big pharma/university study to conclude these findings, then an expensive prescription version of curcumin.
that is co-released with another study that concludes that the herbal version is ineffective. Am I being too skepticall?
Close. There probably won't be the studies to show it is ineffective, but the first patentable synthetic curcuminoid is already in trial (don't remember what phase it is in though). Curcuminoids have a wealth of uses and the pharmaceuticals have been working on a synthetic for awhile now.

TSC

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you keep this out of reach of several politicians currently in power. Better to have plaque than nothing at all. :rofl:

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
its passed the test of time,and is simply very very good for you.
inflammation..bad.curcummin..goood

i toss turmeric into a lot of different foods.not so much that i can taste it,but it gives some color.and mainly it adds those oh so imortant health benefits like those mentioned in this study as well as many others
its easy to hide high nute items into your daily diet if you think a little bit

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
its passed the test of time,and is simply very very good for you.
inflammation..bad.curcummin..goood

i toss turmeric into a lot of different foods.not so much that i can taste it,but it gives some color.and mainly it adds those oh so imortant health benefits like those mentioned in this study as well as many others
its easy to hide high nute items into your daily diet if you think a little bit
Just an fyi, the amount of curcuminoids in ground tumeric isn't that high. A diet rich in tumeric would probably be very good in a preventative manner, but the 95% curcuminoid supplements will go a lot further. But a good curry is kickass, so there is nothing wrong with getting as much in with your food as you can. Also, the bioavailability isn't so good, so a product with piperine (bioperine) is better. You can always make sure to use lots of black pepper in your cooking as well.

TSC

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
Curcumin has horrible bioavailability. In a study...A single oral dose of 2 gms only raised serum conc. to only transiently detectable concentrations. And another study showed that 180 mg curcumin/day resulted in no detectable curcumin or its metabolites in blood or urine. I have the reference if needed. So unless it could be injected or used transdermally this will never be effective.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Curcumin has horrible bioavailability. In a study...A single oral dose of 2 gms only raised serum conc. to only transiently detectable concentrations. And another study showed that 180 mg curcumin/day resulted in no detectable curcumin or its metabolites in blood or urine. I have the reference if needed. So unless it could be injected or used transdermally this will never be effective.
Read up on piperine's effect of curcumin's bioavailability. Also, 180 mg a day is quite low. Most products on the market come in 400-600mg (many with 3 or 5mg of piperine/bioperine). There is more than enough research to back its effectiveness in oral form on humans.

TSC

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I just got a bottle of this at Wal-mart - but no piperine in it. Can I get that by itself to add to the curcumin???

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I just got a bottle of this at Wal-mart - but no piperine in it. Can I get that by itself to add to the curcumin???
I don't think so. I tried looking for it once. I hope you didn't by the Rexall brand??? The one that says 95% curcuminoids on the front of the bottle... until you see that only 50 mg is the good extract, the rest is just ground tumeric.

TSC

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, we can get piperine as a standalone.

It seems like this 95% curcumin would be a good bulk product to pick up as well.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, we can get piperine as a standalone.

It seems like this 95% curcumin would be a good bulk product to pick up as well.
If it can be done cheap enough, 3 or 5mg tablets would be cool. Once people try to cap curcumin enough, I'm sure your store brand capsules will sell better :icon_lol: . For those that don't know, turmeric and curcumin are very effective dyes. Gloves are recommended :).

TSC

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey...maybe with some forskolin we could make a combination topical tanner/stainer AND marinade.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey...maybe with some forskolin we could make a combination topical tanner/stainer AND marinade.
*****in' , throw in the piperine for bioavailability and spicyiness, some capsaicin for more spicyiness, heat, and fatburning and we'll have a winner. OM f'in G , Get your tan in a hurry, from 'TAN IN A CURRY' ....Sometimes, I even amaze myself.

TSC

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would that be like TANdoori?

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You know, for someone that eats at an indian buffet a few times every month... I shouldn't be at a loss for some comebacks. crap. let me think about this.

TSC

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually only eat Indian Sandwiches....you know, at the Delhi.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I usually only eat Indian Sandwiches....you know, at the Delhi.

hmmm.. those are good, but way too many carbs. I always take GXR first, but now I use the new version with Mas-ala.

TSC

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey you guys forgot one benefit- i read a log awhile back where a guy was using tumeric to treat gyno, claimed to have research to back it up.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
hey you guys forgot one benefit- i read a log awhile back where a guy was using tumeric to treat gyno, claimed to have research to back it up.

There are a few anti-e supplements out there with curcumin in them. Anti-e, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, etc. etc. There is tons of research on these compounds and a seemingly never ending list of benefits. I forget the exact way it works, but has been shown to prevent/reduce the developement of breast cancer cells from pesticides and other chemicals that have estrogenic effects.

TSC

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
yeah im aware of that guys.i was just pointing out its a good way to hide it in lots of foods,it adds up.and while its good to get standardized extracts and know the potency and all that.keep in mind India was using this for a loooooooooong time successfully along with im sure other cultures as well.wasnt any standards there,just plain old herb and it worked wonders there to.theres more to be said for an herbs inherent healing properties on an energetic level as well as a straight physical measurable level as well.
i personally take an extract of it myself milk thistle/turmeric blend along with daily additions of the raw product in my food.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yup - I stupidly bought the Rexall brand TSC.

Since you are so close - I should just be having you buy my supplements so I don't buy some BS.
(Which means - no Activate since that stuff doesn't work for me all that well....

Cosmo

Awards
I take curcumin with every meal for my crohn's disease, without it i would be skin and bones or dead i kid you not, if i take it im fine, when i forget i flare up and cant leave the house. Also i got my girlfriends uncle that had hodgkins who was told to "get his matters into order" because he had "no more than a few weeks to live" to take curcumin daily and he went into remission, he says his doctor said to "continue hat ever your doing cause its working", take it for what you will but i am an extreme believer in curcumin being quite the wonder drug.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to kow your dosing and other details. My wife has ulcerative collitis and I have a bunch of C3 and bioperine ready to go...BUT I have to wait until she has delilvered our baby first. Supposedly, tumeric is an abortifactant according to the ayurvedic gurus but I have seen little research on this matter. Either way, I cannot chance it until after delivery.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to kow your dosing and other details. My wife has ulcerative collitis and I have a bunch of C3 and bioperine ready to go...BUT I have to wait until she has delilvered our baby first. Supposedly, tumeric is an abortifactant according to the ayurvedic gurus but I have seen little research on this matter. Either way, I cannot chance it until after delivery.
When's the due date?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I'm using approx. 8 caps of turmeric per day to fight off some gyno. Only breaks down to about 3-4g of the 'good stuff' per day, but that was all I could afford in the capped brand. I'll let you know how it works with a final thread. I'm only on day 3, so far there hasn't been very much progress.

Note: Read that Grape Seed extract has anti-E properties. Considering a Mega-dosed Turmeric+GSE cycle, hopefully a psuedo-herbal remedy for gyno.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I know. We were in the hospital 2 days ago trying to ward off contractions. Little bugger better wait because I am not done with the nursery yet, lol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey rr you got a log going on that anywhere. an all natural anti-e, anti gyno treatment thats actually beneficial, wow. put it in a shiney bottle with some pig latin labeling and some fancy promotion and you could clean up. untill the big phamaceutical companies had it banned and sold it by prescription only for $200.00 a month. but im just being cynical, sorry about that.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Pharmacuetical companies are racing to produce synthetic cucurminoids as we speak.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ok bio im on the soapbox now. the gov is so involved with what we take to improve ourselves, but it looks like the fda dropped the ball with celebrex, prozac and dozens more. they dont tell you that taking acetaminophen for a hangover will do more liver damage than a 6 months sd cycle. you can watch people come out of a bar get in their car and drive, 3 beers in an hour puts most over the limit, but prohormones are what they spend their time and resources on. if you started thinking about the stuff they should be worried about instead of a guy trying to put on a few pounds of muscle you could get real pissed off. im done and sorry if i offended anyone.

Cosmo

Awards
How does the curcumin help with Crohns?
Curcumin as with many other anti-oxidants inhibits nfkb. il-8, tnf-a, among many other inflammitory factors, im not sure if curcumin is better at it than others but what I do know is that alot of it comes out when I poop therefor it doesnt get asorbed very well. This is excellent for inflammitory intestinal diseases and any type of intestinal cancer because it can pack a full anti-oxidant punch to the affected areas, this i why i take it with EVERY meal, its more of a topical treament, it would proably be awesome in a wound healing ointment if it didnt stain your skin orange.

First off, congrats on the baby

As far as the bioperine it wont help for the UC mainly because as i said above, its more of a topical treatment, but even with bioperine alot of the curcumin will remain in the intestinal track so it only matters a little.

I've heard about prenancy easing UC symptoms because the immune system changes strength from th1 to th2.

Dosing is relative to meal sizes and of course to the types of food you eat. As a general rules though i'll take about 2 grams for every 1000 calories. When its a steak or meat i'll take half as much, when its nuts or popcorn i'll take twice as much. So theres a bit of trial and error. Also make sure she doesnt take it all before or after she eats but before during and after, its very important to surround the food with curcumin (think topical!). Best wishes to you and your family!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cosmo again.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info, Cosmo. Unfortunately, I think pregnancy boosts other inflammatory factors..prostaglandins maybe..or just simply the fact that there is a tiny human literally kicking her in the colon. Despite my best efforts, her symptoms grew progressively worse over the second and third trimesters.

Unfortunately, she had to resort to a new enteric form of prednisone called Entocort today as the symptoms were getting to be too much(an idea I absolutely hate, but her decision). I am eager to see if cucurmin will keep flare ups at bay after the baby is out.

Anything that keeps her off of prednisone(s) would be a blessing.

Cosmo

Awards
I was on entocort myself a couple years ago, worked pretty well, much better than your regular prednisone, very local. good choice.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You may know already, but I've come across a few articles stating that some Drs are now recommending stacking DHEA with any prednisone to give some form of adrenal support. We have not tried this particular avenue, but after she got off of pred last time she was a total wreck. A few weeks of this and starting just 5mg/day DHEA totally turned her around. She was A-ok within a few weeks of initating DHEA.

Cosmo

Awards
ive heard great things about dhea and immune system modulation, i know i feel much more balanced post cycle from taking dhea. do you have your wife taking omega 3s, extra zinc, and or folic acid a daily?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Oh yes. She is swimming in folic acid. I cap our supps, so they're all tricked out and custom :afro:

DHEA supposedly has some research showing it to be a strong modulator of inflammation as well. Then it also lowers SHGB which helps reverse some of the damage caused by 10 years of oral birthcontrol. It's been good to her.

She came off of it when she got pregnant (wisely) but it may prove useful to put her on a very low dose to offset the medication sides. She's feeling them already.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great thread.

I know a lot has been written so far, in this thread and outide of it, on the versatility of Curcumin. For me, the following points justify my fascination at the compound.

1) Remarkably potent anti-oxidant properties (thanks to the curcuminoid actives) and regulation effects on normal cell-cycle growth.

2) Maintenance of healthy platelet function as well as the normal process of bile excretion.

3) Recent studies have traced inflammation to over-expression of a protein molecule, nuclear factor-kappa beta (NFkB). This protein molecule, NFkB, functions much like a switch to turn on genes responsible for the production of the body's inflammatory responses. As the expression of NFkB increases in aging adults and as a consequence of cellular stress, modulating NFkB and its effects in the body become a challenge for researchers and practitioners. Curcumin has been demonstrated to produce powerful effects within the body via the inhibition of the over-expression of NFkB. Besides, curcumin also inhibits NFkB-activating substances. A prominent example is that, by binding iron and copper in brain tissue, curcumin inbibits or surpresses NFkB activation.

4) Furthermore, Curcumin protects against estrogen-mimicking chemicals, an important property for many athletes.

5) A synergistic blend of curcuminoids and sesquiterpenoids (sesquiterpenoids isolated from the Rhizomes of Curcuma zedoaria) with enhanced bioavailability should deliver these results.

6) 3000 years of Ayurvedic medicine cannot be wrong!

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Great thread.

I know a lot has been written so far, in this thread and outide of it, on the versatility of Curcumin. For me, the following points justify my fascination at the compound.

1) Remarkably potent anti-oxidant properties (thanks to the curcuminoid actives) and regulation effects on normal cell-cycle growth.

2) Maintenance of healthy platelet function as well as the normal process of bile excretion.

3) Recent studies have traced inflammation to over-expression of a protein molecule, nuclear factor-kappa beta (NFkB). This protein molecule, NFkB, functions much like a switch to turn on genes responsible for the production of the body's inflammatory responses. As the expression of NFkB increases in aging adults and as a consequence of cellular stress, modulating NFkB and its effects in the body become a challenge for researchers and practitioners. Curcumin has been demonstrated to produce powerful effects within the body via the inhibition of the over-expression of NFkB. Besides, curcumin also inhibits NFkB-activating substances. A prominent example is that, by binding iron and copper in brain tissue, curcumin inbibits or surpresses NFkB activation.

4) Furthermore, Curcumin protects against estrogen-mimicking chemicals, an important property for many athletes.

5) A synergistic blend of curcuminoids and sesquiterpenoids (sesquiterpenoids isolated from the Rhizomes of Curcuma zedoaria) with enhanced bioavailability should deliver these results.

6) 3000 years of Ayurvedic medicine cannot be wrong!
yup interesting stuff half a year ago i went to local indian store and bought like 1-2 lbs of this stuff and put it in my food as i made it lol didnt taste the greatest. still got some left thinking of now capping it or something

but after reading some of these things it appears the cooking stuff is diff then the stronger stuff or something

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Someone needs to get Nutra to get a good high purity capped Curcumin product.

Curcumin is a power house and the reason it was included in SIRPLUS with resveratrol. In my opinion the most potent 1-2 punch for health and longevity and the SERM and anti inflammatory are a huge plus!

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Someone needs to get Nutra to get a good high purity capped Curcumin product.
yup thats why i like bumping things.

so can someone confirm before i buy 2lbs of this stuff for like 3bucks lol and cap it. cuz there is no way the strong stuff is that cheap so in theory id have to take a lot more to see the benefits right compared to the higher extracts or something?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yup thats why i like bumping things.

so can someone confirm before i buy 2lbs of this stuff for like 3bucks lol and cap it. cuz there is no way the strong stuff is that cheap so in theory id have to take a lot more to see the benefits right compared to the higher extracts or something?
Hi nycste,
In my opinion, the key is the standardization for the actives (curcuminoids and sesquiterpenoids). This is where "less" becomes "more". I have seen standardizations such that one 400mg capsule a day of the turmeric compound delivers curcumin blood levels equivalent to ingesting about 2800mg of commercial curcumin supplements.
The equation is, of course, different for the raw non-standardized compound. Here the product quality is very important, with minimal impurities. Still, a recommendation is not easy, but I would target ingesting 10gr to 15gr daily in divided servings. Someone else might see it differently.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
At my age, now 66, I have seen too many friends suffer and sometimes pass because of prostate cancer. In my quest to identify effective natural remedies for the big PC, I have found lots of support for the role of curcumin. It has a growing body of research behind it. Just one more great side effect. Here are two abstacts:

(Dept of Urology Columbia Univ. 2000) Therapeutic potential of curcumin in human prostate cancer
"In an effort to find an alternative nontoxic means of inducing the apoptosis potential in both androgen-dependent and hormone refractory prostate cancer cells, attention was focused on curcumin (turmeric), traditionally used in medicine and cuisine in India and other south-east Asian countries. The results indicate that curcumin is a novel and potent inducer of apoptosis in both androgen-dependent and androgen-independent prostate cancer cells. This was accomplished by down-regulating apoptosis suppressor proteins and other crucial proteins such as the androgen receptor. It is concluded that curcumin may provide an alternative, nontoxic modality by which the clinician may prevent the progression of prostate cancer to its hormone refractory state or to treat advanced prostate cancer by forcing them to undergo apoptosis."

Therapeutic potential of curcumin in human prostate cancerI. curcumin induces apoptosis in both androgen-dependent and androgen-independent prostate cancer cells

(Shandong Univ. China 2007) Curcumin downregulates homeobox gene NKX3.1 in prostate cancer cell LNCaP1
Aim: To elucidate the effect and the mechanisms of curcumin on the expression of the human homeobox gene NKX3.1 in the prostate cancer cell LNCaP. Methods: The expression change of NKX3.1 in cells incubated with varying concentrations of curcumin was observed by Western blotting and RT-PCR. A dual luciferase reporter assay was used to test the effect of curcumin on the activity of the NKX3.1 1040 bp promoter. Curcumin-treated cells disposed to a designated amount of androgen analog R1881 and the androgen receptor (AR) antagonist flutamide, then the expression of NKX3.1 or the activity of the NKX3.1 promoter were investigated by Western blotting or reporter gene assay, respectively. Finally, Western blotting and electrophoretic mobility shift assay were performed to demonstrate the effect of curcumin on the expression of AR and its binding activity to the androgen response element (ARE). Results: Curcumin downregulated the expression of NKX3.1 and the activity of the NKX3.1 1040 bp promoter in LNCaP cells. R1881 increased the expression of NKX3.1, and the AR antagonist flutamide decreased the expression of NKX3.1 in LNCaP cells, while curcumin could inhibit androgen-AR mediated induction of NKX3.1 expression. Curcumin decreased the expression of AR and the binding activity to ARE directly. Conclusion: Curcumin could downregulate NKX3.1 expression in LNCaP cells. It could also inhibit the androgen-AR mediated induction of NKX3.1 expression by downregulating AR expression and blocking its DNA binding activity.

Acta Pharmacologica Sinica