Caffeine <?>

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
This is a bit disturbing...

IJSNEM, 16(5), October 2006, Copyright © 2006

Physiological and Cognitive Responses to Caffeine During Repeated, High-Intensity Exercise

Melissa J. Crowe; Anthony S. Leicht; Warwick L. Spinks Full Article Table of Contents for Vol. 16, Iss. 5

Abstract

This study investigated the effects of caffeine on repeated, anaerobic exercise using a double-blind, randomized, crossover design. Seventeen subjects (five female) underwent cognitive (reaction time, number recall) and blood (glucose, potassium, catecholamines, lactate) testing before and after consuming caffeine (6 mg/kg), placebo, or nothing (control). An exercise test (two 60 s maximal cycling bouts) was conducted 90 min after caffeine/placebo consumption. Plasma caffeine concentrations significantly increased after caffeine ingestion, however, there were no positive effects on cognitive or blood parameters except a significant decrease in plasma potassium concentrations at rest. Potentially negative effects of caffeine included significantly higher blood lactate compared to control and significantly slower time to peak power in exercise bout 2 compared to control and placebo. Caffeine had no significant effect on peak power, work output, RPE, or peak heart rate. In conclusion, caffeine had no ergogenic effect on repeated, maximal cycling bouts and may be detrimental to anaerobic performance.

FYI, this was posted un the new MD forum by Anssi Manninen.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
conclusion, caffeine had no ergogenic effect on repeated, maximal cycling bouts and may be detrimental to anaerobic performance.

This is actually not a bit suprising to me. Caffeine crash has long been established. Also, caffeine has been shown to deplete nitric oxide levels. This is why I will not use a NO/creatine product that includes it in it's formulation.

Consumption of caffeine before any extensive physical activity (especially cardio based activity) will eventually be accompanied by negative results.

On the other hand before I was educated, when I used to use NO-XPLODE, the negatives from the caffeine seemed to go unnoticed with regular 1 hour workouts however, this was definetely not the case when I was running or doing other cardio exercises.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I’m only speaking from personal experience here. But I don’t find my workouts any different strength wise with or without caffeine. Sure I feel more "motivated" but being in the gym for me is motivation enough. I prefer using my stims at work instead of preworkout since I need more motivation then hehe...

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'd say between Lipo-6, all the coffee that I drink at work, and the niacin that I take throughout the day, I'm pretty well wired. But, I don't take anything in the gym. I do have a preworkout shake (nitro-tech).

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I don't know guys...I'll have to do some more reading, but I thought that Caffeine had been repeatedly shown to be of benefit in strength resistance training..

No Hype - I see your point, but the crash comes long after the work out for me, and I don't take enough caffeine to crash that hard.

I use AX Rampage which has worked nicely for me....maybe it is back to the old placebo thing... now if only somone could make a product that made me believe that chicks dig me. :)

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
When a company includes caffeine in the formulation of a NO product, in my opinion they are most likely using it to substantiate the hype that is touted along with the product.

If a particular NO product really does what it is supposed to, then there would be no need to add a stimulant such as caffeine wich minimizes NO production.... unless they are loading the product with inexpensive caffeine in an effort to reduce costs by limiting the amount of the "true", more costly active ingredients.

The way I see it, most of the companies realize that an average workout is relatively short in duration when compared to a cardio based activity such as running. So why not load it with caffeine? How would anyone really notice?

Well speaking for myself, I noticed negative effects as far as the length of my cardio sessions from the caffeinated NO-Xplode, where as the non-caffeinated Horse Power seemed to provide only positive results and alowed me to push farther than normal.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
They make that Rhyalus. There's even different flavors now. They call it, B.E.E.R. It's a radical breakthrough in dating supplementation. Just 6 bottles of this "B.E.E.R." taken in rapid succession can turn even the most unlikely candidate into a suave ladykiller that would rival the likes of Don Juan himself (in his own mind)*. The science behind this marvel of motivation, this champion of the chalice, is a complex science indeed. You see, you drink the B.E.E.R. and through A.A.D.S. (Advanced Alcohol Delivery System) the B.E.E.R. will deliver the active ingredient directly into your bloodstream! It's fast-acting ability is truly amazing. So, go out and get yourself some B.E.E.R. today! You'll be glad ya did!

*The statements have not been approved by the FDA.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually there are many studies where Caffeine Increases stamia, strength, and insulin resistance. My take on Caffeine is dont do too much for too long. Eaxmple 200 mgs a day is ok everyday. and maybe 400 some days but not 500 everyday.

My Dad drinks 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning , a latte (sp) later in the day, iced tea, all containing caffeine. He functions well.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Has he tried B.E.E.R.? lol Yeah man, now that I'm back on the build, I'm drinking 2-3 pots of coffee a day. Well, I'm exaggerating. But, probably between 1 and 2 pots. I function fairly well. I know that's terrible for me, but it keeps me motivated. :D

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I drink 16 oz of coffee and take 4 mgs of albuterol before each workout.

gives a slight bump in strength and endurance along with energy and focus