Calcium supplements unlikely to prevent fractures

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Calcium supplements unlikely to prevent fractures
Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:10 AM BST

LONDON (Reuters) - Calcium supplements given to healthy children to improve their bone density are unlikely to prevent broken bones, researchers said on Friday.

In an analysis of 19 studies involving nearly 3,000 children, scientists at the Menzies Research Institute in Tasmania found that youngsters taking the supplements showed a small increase in bone mineral density in the arms but not at the hip or lower spine.

"This small increase in upper limb bone mineral density is unlikely to result in a clinically important decrease in the risk of fracture," said Tania Winzenberg, lead author of the study published in the British Medical Journal.

Although calcium is found in many foods, it is thought that taking supplements can help build stronger bones in children, which could reduce the risk of osteoporosis, or brittle bone disease, later in life.

How much bone is built up during childhood and lost as an adult determines the likelihood of developing osteoporosis. At least 90 percent of peak bone mass is obtained by the age of 18, according to the researchers.

Children in the studies, aged 3-18, were given calcium supplements or a dummy pill for periods ranging from 8.5 months to 7 years.

Winzenberg and her colleagues measured the strength of the children's bones with density tests using overall body measurements at the hip, spine and arm. They found the amount of increase was the same in the hip and spine in both groups of children and only slightly better in the supplement group in the arm.

The results were the same regardless of the child's sex, ethnic background, exercise level or age.

"Our results provide only limited support for the use of calcium supplementation in healthy children..," Winzenberg added.

The scientists called for more research and said other measures, such as eating more fruit and vegetables and increasing vitamin D concentrations, should be explored.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Interesting, thanks...I've also heard that silica is an oft-overlooked key to bone health...

SoccerMom

Awards
I don't really like to take calcium supplements that much because it does not agree with me, but I do give some to my children.

Anyways I try and get as much calcium in my diet. A pretty usefull tool for measuring the calcium in your diet is here

Calcium Calculator on Calcium Calculator

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
This study is inconclusive at best.

It doesn't suprise me that the study did not list the important factors.... what formulation of calcium they used, wich most likely was the inexpensive calcium carbonate (the stuff we use on chalkboards), and how much was actually administered.

Calcium absorbtion is very much mineral dependent.

I would very much like to see how the results would differ if the study had consisted of a blend of calcium and minerals including various forms of calcium as citrate, aspartate, chelate, lactate, ect. and administered in SUFFICIENT dosages.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
ill keep taking my 1200mg a day along with my mag
citrate that is