Voodoo supplements

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
I can't help but feel that some supplements are very voodoo in nature. ie: They do jack shi*, but because they're backed up vaguely by pubmed studies, are relatively cheap, and are taken with other stims (like caffeine), they're often confused with the placebo effect. Does anyone agree with me on this? I am definitely guilty of doing this in the past... Among these supps are:

CEE
Glutamine
ALCAR
CLA

... and many more. I guess I'm just curious if other people agree with me, or if these really do have an effect and I'm just not very aware. Any other supps to add to this list?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
1st: CEE works. It made me retain a lot of water, I didn't like it, but it worked.

Glutamine: Already in whey in large quantities, so no need for more IMO.

ALCAR: I did see an increase in mental "presence". I feel increased energy with it, and even a way better vision. Works, but you have to cycle it.

CLA: I am with you on this one. Not very effective.

I guess that the fact that taking a supp. makes you work harder, and you do get a part from placebo, but a lot of supps won't transform your body in 1 week. They will help and give an edge if diet and training are in check.

noviceiron

Awards
I can't believe CEE is even on this list. Not sure where you got yours, but the tub I order and have been using from bulk works great. And... not a lot of water retention at all for me with CEE.

Where do you shop.... and please don't say GNC or Muscle Tech.

Gator762

Awards
I know there is a lot of debate about Glutamine here, but I have found 5 grams along with a whey and carb post-workout shake to be more helpful than the shake alone. It probably only helps with DOMS and not with muscle gain, but IMHO that's worth it to me. YMMV.

I've experimented with larger doses and the results seem a little better, but I'm a cheap bastard. ;)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking creatine for years in all different kinds, shapes and sizes. Although it has worked, I probably would've been better off spending my money on steaks and chicken.

noviceiron

Awards
RenegadeRows I've been taking creatine for years in all different kinds, shapes and sizes. Although it has worked, I probably would've been better off spending my money on steaks and chicken.
Nothing beats a good diet... no amount of supplementation can overcome poor diet. Get your diet straight then add the supps. You will see a lot better results...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Nothing beats a good diet... no amount of supplementation can overcome poor diet. Get your diet straight then add the supps. You will see a lot better results...
Good advice, although mine has been dialed in for quite some time, I just don't bother with the straight creatine anymore. I mean, I'll use the pre-workout blends which contain creatine, but other than that, I'm not going out of my way to get my daily dose. I just don't think it's that important (for me, at least.)

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried CEE (still have a metric ton of mono. The bottom fell out of the Mono market when CEE came out), but I don't think it's safe to put on the bunk list. Sure there will be non-responders, but there are to mono as well, along with thousands of studies done on mono to prove it's efficacy

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Obviously, but this thread is for people who already have their diets straightened out. I still believe that I could package sugar pills and have quite a number of people give good reviews to the product in terms of pump, recovery, etc. Not saying that all products are bump -- just that the responses and symptoms/side effects of them are so eclectic that there's a lot of placebo going on.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
There seems to be a common thread re: CEE. I respond well to mono and gluconate, and not at all to CEE!

Regards,
R

determination

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ALCAR works for me. I feel like my head is clearer. It also seems like I can see better. I don't think it does much for fatloss.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
ALCAR DEFINETLY works for me. It gives me lots of energy and focus in the gym. Theres a huge difference between when im taking and not taking it.

OneBetter

OneBetter

Awards
ALCAR DEFINETLY works for me. It gives me lots of energy and focus in the gym. Theres a huge difference between when im taking and not taking it.
agreed. ALCAR rocks.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't help but feel that some supplements are very voodoo in nature. ie: They do jack shi*, but because they're backed up vaguely by pubmed studies, are relatively cheap, and are taken with other stims (like caffeine), they're often confused with the placebo effect. Does anyone agree with me on this? I am definitely guilty of doing this in the past... Among these supps are:

CEE
Glutamine
ALCAR
CLA

... and many more. I guess I'm just curious if other people agree with me, or if these really do have an effect and I'm just not very aware. Any other supps to add to this list?

When you took CEE, did you first look at the COA? When it first started out on the market, companies were shipping such poor qualit batches, it would be a sin (no pun intended) to call it CEE.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, lots of improperly made CEE floating around. There's big differences in ALCAR quality as well.

Both definitely work..particularly ALCAR.