Cancer and Immune system help!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Ok I have a close friend who has been diagnosed with refractory metastatic Prostate Cancer. Basically his immune system is not working. I'm doing research to help with supps that the docs wouldn't necessarily know aynthing about. I've been doing pubmed searches as well a search on this board and have come across a million supps for cancer.

Anyone have and studies or supps that they would suggest based on some research. I'm looking specifically for supps geared toward boosting and jumpstarting the immune system.

Any help is appreciated. ---J

H

HairyLarry35

Awards
I actually work at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan, the best cancer center in the world. And to top that off, I am a research study assistant that specializes in prostate, germ cell (testis), and bladder cancer.

It would be helpful to know if your friend is currently receiving any hormone, chemo, or immuno-therapies. Staging (T2a, T2b, T3, ect.) is also some needed info. Knowing that he is currently in a metastic stage could mean that certain supps are already out of the question.

But becareful about this... adding certain supps could have some adverse affects. Let me know the details and I will do my best to give you some info.

Best of luck to your friend and God bless.

HL

solarize

solarize

191cm, 98kg (6'3, 215lb)
Awards
  • Established
I have read that some Cancer patients have responded well to Beta 1,3 Glucan.

T

ToolMaster

Awards
Not to thread hijack but I have been diagnosed with CVID (Common Variable Immune Deficiency). And I have been receiving IVIg infusions for about a year now. I was reading something about HGH stimulating the immune sys. I never used any sauce before but I was wondering if it would help out or any other supps.

Thanks greatly
~ToolMaster

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I've heard good things about IP-6 being a good supplement

1: World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Jul 14;12(26):4137-42.Click here to read Links
Effects of inositol hexaphosphate on proliferation of HT-29 human colon carcinoma cell line.

* Tian Y,
* Song Y.

Qingdao University Medical College, 38 Dengzhou Road, Qingdao 266021, Shandong Province, China. [email protected].

AIM: To investigate the effects of inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) on proliferation of HT-29 human colon carcinoma cell line. METHODS: Cells were exposed to various concen-trations (0, 1.8, 3.3, 5.0, 8.0, 13.0 mmol/L) of IP(6) for a certain period of time. Its effect on growth of HT-29 cells was measured by MTT assay. The expressions of cell cycle regulators treated with IP(6) for 2 d were detected by immunocytochemistry. RESULTS: IP(6) inhibited the HT-29 cell growth in a dose- and time-dependent manner. Analysis of cell cycle regulator expression revealed that IP(6) reduced the abnormal expression of P53 and PCNA and induced the expression of P21. CONCLUSION: IP(6) has potent inhibitory effect on proliferation of HT-29 cells by modulating the expression of special cell cycle regulators.

PMID: 16830361 [PubMed - in process]

1: Carcinogenesis. 2004 Nov;25(11):2115-23. Epub 2004 Aug 5.Click here to read Links
Anti-angiogenic activity of inositol hexaphosphate (IP6).

* Vucenik I,
* Passaniti A,
* Vitolo MI,
* Tantivejkul K,
* Eggleton P,
* Shamsuddin AM.

Department of Medical and Research Technology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA.

A significant anticancer activity of the naturally occurring carbohydrate inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) has been reported against numerous cancer models. Since tumors require angiogenesis for growth and metastasis, we hypothesize that IP(6) reduces tumor growth by inhibiting angiogenesis. Because angiogenesis depends on the interaction between endothelial and tumor cells, we investigated the effect of IP(6) on both. IP(6) inhibited the proliferation and induced the differentiation of endothelial cells in vitro; the growth of bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAECs) evaluated by MTT proliferation assay was inhibited in a dose-dependent manner (IC(50) = 0.74 mM). The combination of IP(6) and vasostatin, a calreticulin fragment with anti-angiogenic activity, was synergistically superior in growth inhibition than either compound. IP(6) inhibited human umbilical vein endothelial cell (HUVEC) tube formation (in vitro capillary differentiation) on a reconstituted extracellular matrix, Matrigel, and disrupted pre-formed tubes. IP(6) significantly reduced basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF)-induced vessel formation (P < 0.01) in vivo in Matrigel plug assay. Exposure of HepG2, a human hepatoma cell line, to IP(6) for 8 h, resulted in a dose-dependent decrease in the mRNA levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), as assessed by RT-PCR. IP(6) treatment of HepG2 cells for 24 h also significantly reduced the VEGF protein levels in conditioned medium, in a concentration-dependent manner (P = 0.012). Thus, IP(6) has an inhibitory effect on induced angiogenesis.

PMID: 15297368 [PubMed - in process]

1: Br J Haematol. 2002 Jun;117(3):577-87. Links
Effect of inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) on human normal and leukaemic haematopoietic cells.

* Deliliers GL,
* Servida F,
* Fracchiolla NS,
* Ricci C,
* Borsotti C,
* Colombo G,
* Soligo D.

Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, I.R.C.C.S., Ospedale Maggiore and University of Milan, Via F. Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy. [email protected]

Inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)), a naturally polyphosphorylated carbohydrate, has been reported to have significant in vivo and in vitro anticancer activity against numerous tumours, such as colon, prostate, breast, liver and rhabdomyosarcomas. To confirm this activity in haematological malignancies and to characterize some of the mechanisms of IP(6) action, we analysed its effects on human leukaemic cell lines and fresh chronic myelogenous leukaemia (CML) progenitor cells using a combined cellular and molecular approach. IP(6) had a dose-dependent cytotoxic effect on all of the evaluated cell lines, with accumulation in the G2M phase in two out of five cell lines tested. At the molecular level, cDNA microarray analysis after IP(6) exposure showed an extensive downmodulation of genes involved in transcription and cell cycle regulation and a coherent upregulation of cell cycle inhibitors. Furthermore, IP(6) treatment of fresh leukaemic samples of bone marrow CD34+ CML progenitor cells significantly inhibited granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming unit (CFU-GM) formation (P = 0.0062) in comparison to normal bone marrow specimens, which were not affected. No differentiating effect on HL60 cells was observed. Taken together, our results confirm the antiproliferative activity of IP(6) and suggest that it may have a specific antitumour effect also in chronic myeloid leukaemias, via active gene modulation.

PMID: 12028025 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I actually work at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan, the best cancer center in the world. And to top that off, I am a research study assistant that specializes in prostate, germ cell (testis), and bladder cancer.

It would be helpful to know if your friend is currently receiving any hormone, chemo, or immuno-therapies. Staging (T2a, T2b, T3, ect.) is also some needed info. Knowing that he is currently in a metastic stage could mean that certain supps are already out of the question.

But becareful about this... adding certain supps could have some adverse affects. Let me know the details and I will do my best to give you some info.

HL
When you get a chance Hit my email [email protected]

Thanks for the help.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I've heard good things about IP-6 being a good supplement

1: World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Jul 14;12(26):4137-42.Click here to read Links
Effects of inositol hexaphosphate on proliferation of HT-29 human colon carcinoma cell line.

* Tian Y,
* Song Y.

Qingdao University Medical College, 38 Dengzhou Road, Qingdao 266021, Shandong Province, China. [email protected].

AIM: To investigate the effects of inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) on proliferation of HT-29 human colon carcinoma cell line. METHODS: Cells were exposed to various concen-trations (0, 1.8, 3.3, 5.0, 8.0, 13.0 mmol/L) of IP(6) for a certain period of time. Its effect on growth of HT-29 cells was measured by MTT assay. The expressions of cell cycle regulators treated with IP(6) for 2 d were detected by immunocytochemistry. RESULTS: IP(6) inhibited the HT-29 cell growth in a dose- and time-dependent manner. Analysis of cell cycle regulator expression revealed that IP(6) reduced the abnormal expression of P53 and PCNA and induced the expression of P21. CONCLUSION: IP(6) has potent inhibitory effect on proliferation of HT-29 cells by modulating the expression of special cell cycle regulators.

PMID: 16830361 [PubMed - in process]

1: Carcinogenesis. 2004 Nov;25(11):2115-23. Epub 2004 Aug 5.Click here to read Links
Anti-angiogenic activity of inositol hexaphosphate (IP6).

* Vucenik I,
* Passaniti A,
* Vitolo MI,
* Tantivejkul K,
* Eggleton P,
* Shamsuddin AM.

Department of Medical and Research Technology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA.

A significant anticancer activity of the naturally occurring carbohydrate inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) has been reported against numerous cancer models. Since tumors require angiogenesis for growth and metastasis, we hypothesize that IP(6) reduces tumor growth by inhibiting angiogenesis. Because angiogenesis depends on the interaction between endothelial and tumor cells, we investigated the effect of IP(6) on both. IP(6) inhibited the proliferation and induced the differentiation of endothelial cells in vitro; the growth of bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAECs) evaluated by MTT proliferation assay was inhibited in a dose-dependent manner (IC(50) = 0.74 mM). The combination of IP(6) and vasostatin, a calreticulin fragment with anti-angiogenic activity, was synergistically superior in growth inhibition than either compound. IP(6) inhibited human umbilical vein endothelial cell (HUVEC) tube formation (in vitro capillary differentiation) on a reconstituted extracellular matrix, Matrigel, and disrupted pre-formed tubes. IP(6) significantly reduced basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF)-induced vessel formation (P < 0.01) in vivo in Matrigel plug assay. Exposure of HepG2, a human hepatoma cell line, to IP(6) for 8 h, resulted in a dose-dependent decrease in the mRNA levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), as assessed by RT-PCR. IP(6) treatment of HepG2 cells for 24 h also significantly reduced the VEGF protein levels in conditioned medium, in a concentration-dependent manner (P = 0.012). Thus, IP(6) has an inhibitory effect on induced angiogenesis.

PMID: 15297368 [PubMed - in process]

1: Br J Haematol. 2002 Jun;117(3):577-87. Links
Effect of inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) on human normal and leukaemic haematopoietic cells.

* Deliliers GL,
* Servida F,
* Fracchiolla NS,
* Ricci C,
* Borsotti C,
* Colombo G,
* Soligo D.

Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, I.R.C.C.S., Ospedale Maggiore and University of Milan, Via F. Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy. [email protected]

Inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)), a naturally polyphosphorylated carbohydrate, has been reported to have significant in vivo and in vitro anticancer activity against numerous tumours, such as colon, prostate, breast, liver and rhabdomyosarcomas. To confirm this activity in haematological malignancies and to characterize some of the mechanisms of IP(6) action, we analysed its effects on human leukaemic cell lines and fresh chronic myelogenous leukaemia (CML) progenitor cells using a combined cellular and molecular approach. IP(6) had a dose-dependent cytotoxic effect on all of the evaluated cell lines, with accumulation in the G2M phase in two out of five cell lines tested. At the molecular level, cDNA microarray analysis after IP(6) exposure showed an extensive downmodulation of genes involved in transcription and cell cycle regulation and a coherent upregulation of cell cycle inhibitors. Furthermore, IP(6) treatment of fresh leukaemic samples of bone marrow CD34+ CML progenitor cells significantly inhibited granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming unit (CFU-GM) formation (P = 0.0062) in comparison to normal bone marrow specimens, which were not affected. No differentiating effect on HL60 cells was observed. Taken together, our results confirm the antiproliferative activity of IP(6) and suggest that it may have a specific antitumour effect also in chronic myeloid leukaemias, via active gene modulation.

PMID: 12028025 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
IW thanks for the study. It looks interesting I'll def check into that.

All others thanks for the responses all info is appreciated.

N

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have and studies or supps that they would suggest based on some research. I'm looking specifically for supps geared toward boosting and jumpstarting the immune system.

Any help is appreciated. ---J

(1) Beta-Sitosterol/Resveratrol. One study indicated a 24% decrease in cancer cell growth and induced apoptosis (programmed cancer cell death). (I think this should be accompanied by a high quality Sterol Complex)

(2) Lycopene/Curcumin. Also induces apoptosis.

(3) Alpha Lipoic Acid has been shown to induce apoptosis.

(4) Vitamin E inhibits prostate tumor cell proliferation.

(5) Green tea catechins have been shown to prevent prostate cancer from occuring in high risk men.

Everything listed above can be found at lef.org

Any supplement that has proven usefull in reducing DHT will be of MAJOR benefit for someone with prostate cancer. Though I do not recommend the chronic use of OTC's, Advodart inhibits both types 1 and 2 (5-alpha reductase), and has proven successfull in reducing DHT levels by 93%.

One other thing to also consider in reguards to the Immune System, is the daily suplementation of any and all antioxidants due to excessive free radical pathology in the body. The most effective of wich are R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid, grapeseed extract, and Ester C.

Colostrum and Olive Leaf Extract will also be of amazing benefit to the Immune System. (I will see what studies I can dig up on these)

(1) http://lef.org/magazine/mag2005/jun2005_report_prostate_01.htm

(2) http://lef.org/cgi-src-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=1519&query=prostate&hiword=PROSTA PROSTATES&20PROSTATIC prostate (incorrect link) Just do a search on Le Magazine Special Edition Winter 2005/2006/lycopene

(3) http://lef.org/protocols/prtcl-027.shtml

G

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established

HL
do you happen to know Dr. schwartz? my father is going to be seeing him soon.

Thanks