yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
STYLEPHILE: B12: Shot of champions?

Daily Variety

08-04-06

It was the shot heard 'round Hollywood.

When Lindsay Lohan collapsed last week on the set of "Georgia Rule," she was rushed to the hospital for a B12 shot. It was reported that she was suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration.

Hot and tired? Well, who isn't?

"I see about 30 or so patients a week who come in for a shot," says Dr. Sabena Toor, an internist at Cedars-Sinai Hospital who has administered vitamin megadoses for 11 years. Vitamin B12 is commonly found in meats, fish, and dairy products. "When I first started, I got such great feedback. My patients felt more energized and less stressed."

However, no one can actually pinpoint the precise efficacy of a B12 shot. No U.S. studies ascertain its benefits, though Dr. Toor says that in Europe, India and Asia, B12 shots are as much a health staple as a multi-vitamin pill.

Still, absence of proof didn't stop Margaret Thatcher from getting regular pricks in the posterior during her tenure as Prime Minister and Charlize Theron gets them too. Hugh Jackman recently noted that twice-weekly B12 shots helped him dance 10 hours a day for "The Boy from Oz." Prince gets a B12 fix before every performance.

It could be called the "morning-after" shot, too. "I get actors and actresses who have done a night of partying without eating," says Dr. Toor. "Alcohol depletes vitamin B." (Chronic alcoholism is a documented cause of B12 deficiency and gossip bloggers quickly accused Lohan of getting the shot to quell DTs shortly after she collapsed.)

However, most B12ers do it for the rush. "At first, I didn't feel anything," recalls Carlota Espinosa, a Fox 11 style segment producer who gets injections from Dr. Toor whenever she feels sluggish. "After about 30 minutes, I was pumped up."

While naysayers say any high can be attributed to a placebo effect, R.N. Sally Pacholok, co-author of "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses," disagrees. "B12 does help different brain neurotransmitters perform better."

A few days ago, this hot and tired reporter pulled a Lohan and sped to the hospital for a dose. An hour later, the sky looked bluer and the office water tasted better. Even the interior of her car seemed cleaner. She slept well that night, too.

For more information, please visit Variety.com - Entertainment news, movie reviews, industry events - Variety Magazine Online.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
See? We are influencing all the cool people now.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Placebo. Then again, I ought to try some just to see. Most people on here seem to think it doesn't do much.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Placebo. Then again, I ought to try some just to see. Most people on here seem to think it doesn't do much.
I think the people that don't care for it, would probably be very impressed with the results if they incorporated a GOOD B-complex with at least 1000mcg B-12 as Methylcobalamin and also, sublingual NADH at 10-20mg.

This alone gets me bouncin around, but with the addition of a quality creatine/NO product.... :woohoo:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree NH. The methylB12 is really noticable. regular b12..not as much unless you have some sort of deficiency symptom like allergies, extreme fatigue et cetera.

The stuff basically cured my allergies and I had them for 20 years. It was so bad that at times, I would be extremely reluctant to go outside during hay fever season because it just plain hurt. Now I am about 98% symptom free and it takes a pretty heavy pollen/dust exposure to get me sneezing.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I agree NH. The methylB12 is really noticable. regular b12..not as much unless you have some sort of deficiency symptom like allergies, extreme fatigue et cetera.

The stuff basically cured my allergies and I had them for 20 years. It was so bad that at times, I would be extremely reluctant to go outside during hay fever season because it just plain hurt. Now I am about 98% symptom free and it takes a pretty heavy pollen/dust exposure to get me sneezing.
Care to recommend a good brand carried by a board sponsor?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
The stuff basically cured my allergies and I had them for 20 years.

I agree as well bio. I also found that MSM was a great addition to adress this issue as well.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a research chem or not. Injectible B12 is considered a "drug" by the FDA...so just use it orally.

I'm sure you'll all find some easily.
Because it's right under your noses.
Everywhere, fact.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Steady magnesium intake also helps modulate the immune system and seems to work well with the B12.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a research chem or not. Injectible B12 is considered a "drug" by the FDA...so just use it orally.

I'm sure you'll all find some easily.
Because it's right under your noses.
Everywhere, fact.
Thanks.

BTW, I just realized I have a bottle of MRM methyl B-12 sublingual tabs. 2000mcgs. Probably not enough absorption, huh? I just opened the bottle, sucking on a tab right now.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

BTW, I just realized I have a bottle of MRM methyl B-12 sublingual tabs. 2000mcgs. Probably not enough absorption, huh?
If you aren't being sarcastic.... and you are taking 2000mcg of sublingual B-12.... You are def geting plenty of absorbtion. Aside from a B-complex you should try sublingual NADH at 10-20mg for a real kick in the ass.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Who makes sublingual NADH? I used NOW's sublingual B12 and you can DEFINITELY notice a difference in mood and energy, it's a nice naturally energy.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Thanx i'll give that shot! I just took a double dose of B-12 and I feel REALLY good. I'm going to try the shots.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Thanx i'll give that shot! I just took a double dose of B-12 and I feel REALLY good. I'm going to try the shots.
Cool, try em at 20mg and let me know if u notice.

Jaxxx

Jaxxx

Board Supporter
Awards
Very cheap stuff if you know where to look.

My 1st vial on the way...

100ml B-12 Complex (1000mcg/ml Cyanocobalamin) @ $6.99

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It also bumps your RBC count a bit. b12 juices up the axons on your nerve cells and helps them fire away.

i give myself .5 CC a week and i notice it helps me deal with work stress better than i used to. however i do not really notice an increase in energy. its worth the slight mood increase for the buck though. its worth at least giving a try.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
If you aren't being sarcastic.... and you are taking 2000mcg of sublingual B-12.... You are def geting plenty of absorbtion. Aside from a B-complex you should try sublingual NADH at 10-20mg for a real kick in the ass.
Not sarcastic. I just always though anything taken orally -- even sublingual -- has very low absorption.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Not sarcastic. I just always though anything taken orally -- even sublingual -- has very low absorption.
Ok.... just wasn't sure.

Different nutrients all have various absorbtion rates however, most companies take bioavailibility and first pass metabolism into consideration when deciding recommended dosages and how much of the active ingredient is going to be contained in one serving of the product.

Thankfully, sublingual delivery provides the nutrient a way to quickly get into the bloodstream without having to undergo degredation via the intestines.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
It may just be me but the only really good B I have ever had is in the injectable form. then I noticed a differnce. In fact my prefernce is for a vet type complex shot, VITA-JEC® B-COMPLEX. its easy to find and is a good clean product (as far as I can tell.) My horse loves it and you can get 250ml of it for less then a good raw steak.

Active Ingredient(s): Each ml. of sterile aqueous solution contains:

Cyanocobalamin (B12) - 1,000 mcg
Thiamine Hydrochloride (B1) - 12.5 mg
Niacinamide - 12.5 mg
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6) - 5.0 mg
d-Panthenol - 5.0 mg
Riboflavin (B2) (as Riboflavin 5' phosphate sodium) - 2.0 mg
with benzyl alcohol 1.5% v/v as preservative, ammonium sulfate 0.1%.

BTW if your making any form of water based experiments you can simple use this stuff to replace the water. Works for test sup and cyclodextrin based injectables. :D

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
It may just be me but the only really good B I have ever had is in the injectable form. then I noticed a differnce.
Serum levels will definitely be greater when administered via injectables.

Most oral B-complex formulations are under dosed, but I can say from experience that there are some real effective ones availible.

In any case, sublingual NADH at 20mg, administered with the rest of the B's, provides great results.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
If I wasn't a needlphobic pussy I'd be totally interested in the shots...hmm transdermal b-12

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
What suggestions would you make for the B12?

Most oral B-complex formulations are under dosed, but I can say from experience that there are some real effective ones availible.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
What suggestions would you make for the B12?

I always make sure to include a B-complex. Kal Coenzyme B-Complex is bomb (1000mcg B-12).

In my opinion (wich as always.... ain't worth a sh!t), the most effective B-12 on the market is MRM Active Form B-12. It contains 2000mcg (as Methylcobalamin) and 400mcg Folic Acid in sublingual form.

Try adding the NADH at 20mg sublingual.... :woohoo:

pestis

pestis

Awards
It may just be me but the only really good B I have ever had is in the injectable form. then I noticed a differnce. In fact my prefernce is for a vet type complex shot, VITA-JEC® B-COMPLEX. its easy to find and is a good clean product (as far as I can tell.) My horse loves it and you can get 250ml of it for less then a good raw steak.

Niacinamide - 12.5 mg
d-Panthenol - 5.0 mg

BTW if your making any form of water based experiments you can simple use this stuff to replace the water. Works for test sup and cyclodextrin based injectables. :D
Skye,
would this work to mix with long r3 igf-1?

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Skye,
would this work to mix with long r3 igf-1?
It would work to dilute it just fine if that is what your askiing, It can replace bio water in almost any aplacation. It should not of course be used to reconstitute the IGF as it would degrade without the acetic acid as the peptide will degrade.

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
I've never used needles before but this is the idea I had to. These needles are very tiny and should be easy to use. I'm not scared of needles I just want to make sure I learn how to load and shot correctly.

use a slin pin, half a CC EOD is more then enough, twice a week would be fine even.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I've never used needles before but this is the idea I had to. These needles are very tiny and should be easy to use. I'm not scared of needles I just want to make sure I learn how to load and shot correctly.
I am not sure that I am supose to post the link but if you did a search for spotinjections you would come up with an interesting site that would give you all the info you needed.

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i've been to that site. They don't show pics on how to draw from vials but they do have it in words. Then i need to get the needle here in Canada. I see them in the drug store but not sure if i need a prescription or not. I've seen a few site selling pinz and they have canada site. I guess I see how that goes. Thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Niacinamide - 12.5 mg
d-Panthenol - 5.0 mg

Have you tried methylcobalamin before? I want to try and injectable b12, but can't decide which form to try.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried methylcobalamin before? I want to try and injectable b12, but can't decide which form to try.
no, sorry. it hard to beat the B12 complex I quoted above for the price, you can get the 100ml for about 7 bucks I think if you don't want the 250. it also has the rest of the b vits.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Do a search on methylcobalamin. It is the superior form when compared to cyanacobalamin.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do a search on methylcobalamin. It is the superior form when compared to cyanacobalamin.
I know that methylcobalamin has more pronounced nuerological effects, I was just wondering if Skye had used both for comparison purposes. Also, I think a b complex will have different results than b12 alone.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I looked it over and really I can't see the methylcobalamin being that much better compared to the cost. Yes it is supose to be better but not enough to justify the price IMO. Then again I am no one you should be taking advise from. The injectable form comming from trusted people sell it for $1.34 a ml. USP grade cyanocobalamin can be bought OTC for $0.31 a ml. the VITA-JEC® B-COMPLEX can be had for $0.048 (4.8 cents) a ml.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The main difference, IMO, between cyano and methyl cobalamin is that the cyano is rate limited in that it must undergo a reaction or two in order to become methylcobalamin. This would preclude any sort of mega-dosing as the thresh hold for methyl cobalamin production is set. By using methylco instead, you are able to raise the level of b12 to a superphysiological level and potentially see more dramatic benefits faster than standard b12.

All in all, it's not a wonder drug that will make you into a genius rock star athelete, but I do appreciate the improved kick of methyl12 over regular and I have used both for a while now.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I can't see the methylcobalamin being that much better compared to the cost. Yes it is supose to be better but not enough to justify the price IMO. Then again I am no one you should be taking advise from.

Actually, you are probably right on the money. There are some cases where certain people don't utilize cyanacobalamin efficiently and require methylcobalamin, but I think you can save your money and probably still recieve similar benefits from the cyana.

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The main difference, IMO, between cyano and methyl cobalamin is that the cyano is rate limited in that it must undergo a reaction or two in order to become methylcobalamin. This would preclude any sort of mega-dosing as the thresh hold for methyl cobalamin production is set. By using methylco instead, you are able to raise the level of b12 to a superphysiological level and potentially see more dramatic benefits faster than standard b12.

All in all, it's not a wonder drug that will make you into a genius rock star athelete, but I do appreciate the improved kick of methyl12 over regular and I have used both for a while now.
What dose are you taking? Are you taking it orally of inject?

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking 1000mcg methyl sublingual tabs for the past week and have sen a big difference. I sleep well, up earlier and have energy all day.

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna try the Now brand. Ammount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin B-12(as Methylcobalamin)
5mg

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Price is right and that's the amount per lozenge. I don't think the extra will hurt especially since it's oral, not all 5mg will be absorbed.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Price is right and that's the amount per lozenge. I don't think the extra will hurt especially since it's oral, not all 5mg will be absorbed.
Nope. Deffinetely won't hurt ya.

Just never heard of B-12 measured in milligrams.

(sublingual?)

preston25

Awards
For a real boostr that lasts all day, 20 mg of nadh with 1200 mg of coq10. This will make you feel great and kill all those free radicals.

preston25

Awards
So does anyone know what is a good dosage for injection?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Once a week is usually more than enough for me. During peak allergy season..like right now, I may use it more often.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 6
Nutrition / Health 0
Supplements 5
mylo Nutrition / Health 0
holmes215 Supplements 3