Nitric Oxide products + cardio

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
Okay I did a quick search but didn't find anything helpful yet. I'm trying to increase my cardio endurance and have been running, doing elliptical, etc.

My question is: Would taking an N.O. pre-workout drink help or hinder my cardio endurance? I'm asking due to the "pump" effect that N.O. has and that may lead to a reduction in leg endurance? Or is this a** backwards? I'm on Xceed pre-workout and have been taking this prior to cardio also...

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Never had a problem with hindered cardio. I am using Chaos by Anabolic Innovations Whey Protein Isolate Concentrate Powder Bodybuilding Anabolic Innovations EXCELL Cookies optimum, diet, supplements, bodybuilders, nutrition, athletes - <P align=center> <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0033 size=4>Chaos</FONT></STRONG></P> <P><STRONG><FONT color=#3300ff>30   Servings</FONT></STRONG></P>
I find it helps my endurance and the ingredient profile is the best IMO. Just the right amounts of the good stuff. Check it out.

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, will definitely pick some Chaos up. I've gotta wait till I finish my Xceed then Primed...then comes CHAOS. By then the supercharged version will definitely be out too.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Would taking an N.O. pre-workout drink help or hinder my cardio endurance?
No, it will only improve it. An increase in NO levels provides increased oxygen/bloodflow/endurance/and delivery of nutrients and or supplements.

The better the NO product, the more overall endurance and stamina you will have.

With extended vs short term endurance in mind, aside from staying away from the caffienated NO versions, a good thing to remember is that the addition of L-norvaline and creatine to any NO supplement will greatly increase it's overall effectevness in relation to ATP.

Also, try to avoid L-glutamine untill after a run or a workout as glutamine will diminish the amount of NO in the bloodstream.

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
No, it will only improve it. An increase in NO levels provides increased oxygen/bloodflow/endurance/and delivery of nutrients and or supplements.

The better the NO product, the more overall endurance and stamina you will have.

With extended vs short term endurance in mind, aside from staying away from the caffienated NO versions, a good thing to remember is that the addition of L-norvaline and creatine to any NO supplement will greatly increase it's overall effectevness in relation to ATP.

Also, try to avoid L-glutamine untill after a run or a workout as glutamine will diminish the amount of NO in the bloodstream.
So caffeine is actually the bane of cardio endurance due to its effect of constricting blood vessels right? I'll try and stay away from products with caffeine when doing cardio then. Thanks!

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
So caffeine is actually the bane of cardio endurance due to its effect of constricting blood vessels right? I'll try and stay away from products with caffeine when doing cardio then. Thanks!
No prob. The main reason for avoiding the caffeine (aside from eventual caffeine crash), is that it is a NO antagonist, but this doesn't matter much.... UNLESS your goal is to really extend physical performance like say for a marathon or an MMA fight or something.

When I'm lifting in the gym, the caffeine really doesn't seem to be much of a negative issue for me and infact, seems to be somewhat beneficial for short term activities, but I stay away from it all together before a fight or a run. Good luck.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ditto to what NH said. Citrulline malate is a proven endurance performer as far as NO products go. Products like Body Octane are really nice for sustained endurance as it has citrulline, as well as beta alanine and histidine which buffer lactic acid.

All in all many different forms of arginine can give extra endurance and the norvalline is golden for sustaining it as well as pumps. I've never had any real issues with pumps while doing sustained cardio.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
great info. guys. maybe citrulline malate plus 1,4 andro would be a good running stack. I'm thinking about running some races next spring depending on how shin splints are acting.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
great info. guys. maybe citrulline malate plus 1,4 andro would be a good running stack. I'm thinking about running some races next spring depending on how shin splints are acting.
I always look for products that use a citrulline/arginine/norvaline mix, or just add the norvaline later.

L-citrulline is the precursor to L-Arginine so it first needs to be converted. There have been studies indicating that both are beneficial however, I think I recall more studies proving arginine to be superior but I could be wrong. In any case, if ya got em both u can't go wrong.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
citrulline may* be advantageous because it is rate limited so it might supply a steady, longer lasting stream of Arg.

*and I'm only guessing here.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
citrulline may* be advantageous because it is rate limited so it might supply a steady, longer lasting stream of Arg.*and I'm only guessing here.
Ok bio. You've inspired me to look up a few studies conducted on this issue again. After I took a look, I remembered why I made the decision to find NO products that include a citrulline/arginine blend.

Even though arginine is the direct precursor to NO, it turns out that citrulline also plays an important role in nitric oxide synthase and the administration of both will ensure greater, more effective results.

Studies have recently demonstrated that the citrulline produced by NO synthase can be recycled into arginine in EC (Endothelial Cells), wich may help to maintain a sufficient intracellular concentration of arginine for NO regeneration. Thus with the production of NO from L-arginine by constitutive NO synthase in EC, there is a functional.... (arginine-citrulline cycle) in these cells.

Based on normal intracellular concentrations of L-glutamine and it's metabolites, glutamine markedly decreases NO synthesis from arginine in cultured EC and intact blood vessels, and inhibits cerebral neurogenic vasodilation.

In one study, normal intracellular concentrations of glutamine decreased arginine synthesis.... (from citrulline), whereas glutamine had no effect on arginine, alanine, glutamate, or lysine.

The results from this study suggest that glutamine decreased arginine synthesis from extracellular citrulline, by interfering with it's transport.... (So glutamine disrupts the conversion of citrulline to arginine.)

The study also concluded that inasmuch as NO and citrulline are constantly generated from arginine, with citrulline being actively converted into arginine, that the data had indicated a functioning intracellular (arginine-citrulline cycle). This cycle may function to efficiently scavenge the carbon and alpha-amino group of arginine and to maintain a sufficient cellular concentration of arginine during prolonged synthesis of NO.

http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/265/6/H1965

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/281/1/448