Hypothroidism

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    I think she should try a nutritional approach before she makes any other decisions. Cutting all the enriched flour products like pasta, bread, pastries, ect., out of her diet will help. Plenty of fresh greens is always good. Supplementing with iodine (around 13mg is norm) and extra virgin coconut oil (high in lauric acid) will directly help the thyroid. Also, increasing anti oxidant uptake like grapeseed extract and Ester C will speed things along. As far as taking T3 while on a thyroid statin drug, I can't comment....but from what I've read, supplementing T3 and T4 combined has in some cases proven to be more effective than just one or the other. However, I would still try the natural approach first. Look into these things and good luck!
    Find a Dr./Pharmacist that Compounds T3/T4. T4 is better than t3 however.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gotripped
    Find a Dr./Pharmacist that Compounds T3/T4. T4 is better than t3 however.
    I think the results of T3 and T4 are different for everyone. T3 is 5-8 times stronger than T4 because it's biologically more active and absorbed at a higher rate. T3 has a half life of about a day and T4 about a week. There are pros and cons to the both of them but I think she get multiple professional opinions in any case.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    I think the results of T3 and T4 are different for everyone. T3 is 5-8 times stronger than T4 because it's biologically more active and absorbed at a higher rate. T3 has a half life of about a day and T4 about a week. There are pros and cons to the both of them but I think she get multiple professional opinions in any case.

Yeah but synthroid blows.
    I don't care what jackie joyner kersey says

4. Quote Originally Posted by gotripped
    Yeah but synthroid blows.
    I don't care what jackie joyner kersey says
    Alright ya got me on that one.

5. Quote Originally Posted by burton1
    A friend of mine was just diagnosed with having hypothroidism by her doctor. She had been gaining weight and this was the reason from what the doctor said. Her previous boyfriend was an idiot with anabolic steroids with had her taking all kinds of **** and it really ****ed her up. Well now she wants to get back into training and do it the right way, and wants to know what she can take to help her loose the weight that she has put on. The current thyroid hormone she is on isn't really doing much for her in regards to getting the thyroid jump started. I was wondering if anyone knew what effects taking t3 while on another thyroid hormone would do. She is currently taking tapazole 5mg a day. Any info would be helpful.

What the heck is she taking tapazole for, that is for HYPERTHYROID, meaning OVER ACTIVE, you said she was HYPO thyroid.

Anyway if she is hypothyroid, it will take years to get rid of the fat, only be done with diet and training. I suggest she start with diet first, without getting that in order she will have no energy for training. These meds are not magic pills by any means. Sorry but this is true, I have HYPOthyroid now for 14 years, it took me prolly 5-6 years to get it under control and get to almost normal life. If she uses anything at all to try and speed up her metabolism, she will only be setting herself up for worse thyroid problems. She needs to read a book on the subject to understand the mechanics behind it, and stop looking for an easy fix, there is no easy fix.

Also she should be seen by an endocrinologist not an MD or Osteopath.
    •   

6. thanks for all the info. I believe too that she has to learn to be paitent and get her diet in check and get into the training like she use to be. I believe she might have had this problem for a while but she use to eat perfect and hit the gym at least 5 times a week a so she was able to keep it under control easier. Now she hasn't worked out in a while cause she took sometime off cause she was over training and she never got back into. So I think that is what got the ball rolling on her weight increase and really seeing the signs of her thyroid problem.

7. Did she have androgenic sides from the AAS her b/f was feeding her?

AKA body hair, masculinized tone?

8. Yeah she was pretty ripped. She got pretty muscular for her and had major arms and legs for sure. She did look good but I think the AAS had some major sides.

9. Quote Originally Posted by burton1
    One other question, do you know of any supplements that she might take to help her get over the constant lethargy. I keep telling her to just get up and do stuff with me but she is having a hard time. I believe she needs to wait til she sees her doctor before she does ANYTHING else?
    Methylcobalamin would probably be the best form of B-12 in this situation, might be worth a shot. Insulin syringes are cheap and painless and it is easily obtained.

I understand how it feels to be unmotivated/depressed from having hyperthyroidism. It sucks!
    PharmD

10. Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    Methylcobalamin would probably be the best form of B-12 in this situation, might be worth a shot. Insulin syringes are cheap and painless and it is easily obtained.

I understand how it feels to be unmotivated/depressed from having hyperthyroidism. It sucks!
    Great advise, as this form of B-12 is much more effective than Cyanocobalamin. For an xtra kick, try adding sublingual NADH. I use it at 10-15mg a day, as well as a "GOOD" B-complex.
  •