Rimonabant - AnabolicMinds.com

Rimonabant

  1. New Member
    theshocker21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    296

    Reputation

    Rimonabant


    Has anyone read the newest edition of MD where they talk about Rimonabant, a new fat-loss drug. They say that it works oppose to the chemicals in marijuana and controls hunger. Also says that once users of the drug increase their caloric intake back to what it originally was, they are still losing fat.

  2. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    I've read a couple articles on this and i'm holding out for more studies and since it's released in the UK this month we'll see what kind of nasy sides this drugs has soon enough.
  3. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2554

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    I've read a couple articles on this and i'm holding out for more studies and since it's released in the UK this month we'll see what kind of nasy sides this drugs has soon enough.

    Actually if you read the entire post I made about rimonabant (type it in the search then use me as the thread starter) you will see the positive effects that it exerts, including positive lipid values and heart benefits.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    There's also studies saying that depression and other problems are able to be found. One of them being that those taking it the first year and a placebo the second year averaged the same weight loss as those who took a placebo for the 2 years.


    Since this screws with the receptors of the brain dealing with important things i'll still hold off versus being able to lose 10-15 pounds in two years.
  5. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2554

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    There's also studies saying that depression and other problems are able to be found. One of them being that those taking it the first year and a placebo the second year averaged the same weight loss as those who took a placebo for the 2 years.


    Since this screws with the receptors of the brain dealing with important things i'll still hold off versus being able to lose 10-15 pounds in two years.

    This is true. But I don't think anyone on these boards or without a prescription should use it long term anyways. I do, however, feel this has implications for times such as cutting phases, pre contest, or attempting to quit smoking etc. Once these things are over or taken care of it would be best to come off of it.

    But I agree it should not be long term and as for a "weight loss" supp., I say lets see how it effects the Britts too .
  6. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    My man haha
  7. New Member
    sock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    152

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    But I agree it should not be long term and as for a "weight loss" supp., I say lets see how it effects the Britts too .
    This drug (and competitors in development) was developed for long term use. The reality is - obese people - for which this drug was developed, are not going to lose the weight they need to on some quick fix 10 day/juice/atikins/miracle fat pill informmercial by Richard Simmons. We all know best way to lose weight is slow and steady with diet and exercise as foundation. Also, as soon as drug is approved, we should be able to get a good look at the complete clinical data via NDA (New Drug Application). That will contain the results and the frequency of all sides reported. Having said all that, I can see were short term use at the high dose would be advantageous to cut/contest prep.
  8. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2554

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by sock
    This drug (and competitors in development) was developed for long term use. The reality is - obese people - for which this drug was developed, are not going to lose the weight they need to on some quick fix 10 day/juice/atikins/miracle fat pill informmercial by Richard Simmons. We all know best way to lose weight is slow and steady with diet and exercise as foundation. Also, as soon as drug is approved, we should be able to get a good look at the complete clinical data via NDA (New Drug Application). That will contain the results and the frequency of all sides reported. Having said all that, I can see were short term use at the high dose would be advantageous to cut/contest prep.
    Trust me just because it was developed for long term use doesn't mean it will be safe for long term use. Look at Vioxx, these things can't be tested for in clinical trials, they are realized WAY down the road. There isn't really any applications for Rimonabant in our community as far as weight loss is concerned, we are basically only concerned with the fact that it reduces hunger, which is nice for people who are getting ready for competitions and are on a caloric deficit or for people who want to stop smoking, etc. as it has shown some promise in that area as well.
  9. New Member
    sock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    152

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    Trust me just because it was developed for long term use doesn't mean it will be safe for long term use. Look at Vioxx, these things can't be tested for in clinical trials, they are realized WAY down the road. There isn't really any applications for Rimonabant in our community as far as weight loss is concerned, we are basically only concerned with the fact that it reduces hunger, which is nice for people who are getting ready for competitions and are on a caloric deficit or for people who want to stop smoking, etc. as it has shown some promise in that area as well.
    I agree with you and you are absolutely correct. There is no way of knowing how people will react to long term use until actual long term data is generated. It is not like drug stability/degradation which can be extrapolated from accelerated forced stress studies. As far as viox, it was pulled because of such a longterm study/trial, APPROVe, which revealed the doubling of cardiovascular events. As far our community, I do believe there is application - you said it yourself: "the fact that it reduces hunger, which is nice for people who are getting ready for competitions and are on a caloric deficit or for people who want to stop smoking." (not trying to be smart - your opinion is valued)
  10. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2554

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by sock
    I agree with you and you are absolutely correct. There is no way of knowing how people will react to long term use until actual long term data is generated. It is not like drug stability/degradation which can be extrapolated from accelerated forced stress studies. As far as viox, it was pulled because of such a longterm study/trial, APPROVe, which revealed the doubling of cardiovascular events. As far our community, I do believe there is application - you said it yourself: "the fact that it reduces hunger, which is nice for people who are getting ready for competitions and are on a caloric deficit or for people who want to stop smoking." (not trying to be smart - your opinion is valued)
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bupropion and rimonabant for appetite suppression?
    By Mochaccino in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM
  2. Rimonabant appetite suppressant?
    By wastedwhiteboy2 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
  3. Rimonabant cessation, a few questions
    By bombBoogie in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 02:33 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 07:59 AM
  5. Rimonabant
    By dagnabit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in